• Published 23rd Nov 2017
  • 802 Views, 103 Comments

Same World, Different Realities - Mocha Star



Twilight plans to explore the Far North. Ruthenium wanted to vacation to the boundaries of her kingdom. Nothing had prepared their own lives to change so much.

  • ...
28
 103
 802

Changed Life 2

Author's Note:

Thanks for the patience. Lots to write and little time to do it all. Unedited; just wrote and posted, lemme know if there're any issues worth note.

Ruthenium sat on her freshly cleaned couch with a scowl on her face and her forelegs crossed over her chest. A warm, dry towel wrapped her mane and another her tail while she glared at the wall where her TV was. Past tense, because it shorted out when certain airborne particulates infiltrated the inner workings.

With some crafty magic, professional cleaners she’d called had cleaned the filly’s mess from every surface and midair, but there was psychological damage done to the mare that left the impression of the smell in every room she went through.

She could still taste the acidity for her vomit tingling the back of her throat. Two full body showers for herself with a weeks worth of shampoo alone used in half an hour. A tube of toothpaste, gone. She’d forgone the conditioner and between washing both herself and the filly, who was still sitting in the bathroom over the toilet, she’d exhausted herself.

Unpleasant noises filled her apartment from the bathroom where the tiny filly squatted making noises that defied Ruthenium’s understanding of biology and size. Ruthenium covered her ears as the filly grunted and whined for more water between indescribable noises.

“I swear, I’m never having one of my own after this,” she grumped as she left the couch and stomped to the bathroom, holding her breath when she entered her room, made sure the window by the bed was open, and quickly took the empty water cup from beside the filly.

Without a hope otherwise, Ruthenium glanced at the toilet and gasped, coughed, and ran from the bathroom to the open window, hanging her head out. “Ugh, uuuuh, I’m never eating brownies as long as I live,” she whined as she inhaled fresh air and exhaled the unpleasant.

Inhaling deeply she pulled her head back in and found the cup, thankfully unbroken, and hurried from the room and closed the door behind her. “Ghuh! I can’t keep holding my breath like this. What about when I have to go?” she glanced into the drain of the kitchen sink then shook her head quickly. “No! Just, no.”

“Alright, I’m gonna try the spell the cleaners left me. I studied it and it should work, so just wait in the bathroom until I’m there, okay?”


“Y-yeah,” Bright Eyes replied quietly.

Ruthenium lit her horn and began the anti smell spell.

Starting from her front door she moved through the apartment and into her bedroom, taking notice of the chill in the air. The glowing orb of blue above her head grew slightly as she traveled and when she sniffed the air she smiled. “Okay, I’m opening the door. You flushed, right?”

“Yeah, and cleaned up my-”

“Bah-na-na-na-na, got it. No, got it. Opening the door now,” the knob turned and the door swung in. Bright Eyes was sitting in the bathtub with her chin on the rim looking sullen. The orb grew in size and after several seconds she turned and ran to the open window and forced the orb out, closed the window, and released the spell.

“Sheesh, I hope nopony gets a whiff of that. Now, on to you,” Ruthenium said softly with a true smile. “All cleaned up so nothing to worry about. Cost me about half my savings to have it all cleaned up and I don’t have a TV for the moment, but to be honest it’s been a great learning experience for me.”

“You said you don’t want me.”

“Wha-? When’d I ever say that?”

Bright Eyes sniffled. “You said you never wanted a foal. And I’m still a foal, right?”

“Ohhh, Bright,” Ruthenium hugged her gently from outside the tub. “I didn’t mean you, I meant that I don’t want a baby foal. I know you’re able to take care of yourself to a point, I just didn’t handle the medicine and communication properly. In that instance I believe I’d have taken the medicine without thought as well.

“I didn’t tell you not to take it, I don’t think anyway. Anyway! Let’s wash you properly and get you into this diaper,” Ruthenium sighed, “sorry, but it’s for the safety of my property and bank account. There’s still some of that in your system and I just can’t deal with more of that, you silly filly.”

“I understand, but, you’re not mad at me?”

“Mad? How can I be? I fought to get you here, and I made a couple mistakes that you paid for. That’s more reason for you to be mad at me, right?”

Bright Eyes sat up and waved Ruthenium closer. When the filly felt her face touch her tiny hoof, she slapped Ruthenium right on the nose.

“Ouch! What’d you do that for?!”

“If I’m mad I can ‘bop ‘em on the nose’, daddy said.”

“Well, I’m gonna be rubbing my nose all night now, silly filly. Or maybe boppy doppy?” she grinned.

Bright Eyes smirked. “Nah,” she lay in the tub and curled her tail around her flank, “bath?”

Ruthenium giggled softly. “Just one more, I hope.”

“Okay, so here’s the rub,” an uncouth mare grumbled, “ya gotta mudder in yer apartment without a license. Twelve percent rent increase and you clean up all it’s messes or ya forfeit the deposit and pay two months rent, and I evict ya. Got it?” she snorted nasally.

Ruthenium withheld the sneer she felt. “Yes, we have an agreement. I shan’t let her get out of hoof.”

“Better not, yer a good tenant,” she turned her neutral expression to a kind smile. “I’d be displeased to lose ya.”

“As would I, I wish you the best of days ahead.”

“And to you.”

Ruthenium closed the door and turned back to the clean and organized apartment with a sigh. “Okay, Bright Eyes, it’s set, you live here now.”

Bright Eyes poked her head from behind the couch and smiled. “Yay? I mean, yay!”

“That’s more like it,” the mare giggled as she walked through the small apartment and lay on the couch while the filly climbed up to lie next to her. “So, what would you like to do?”

“I’unno, play ball?”

“I like that idea! Let’s lay down and I’ll bring the ball over. It’s actually a pet ball, but I use it when I get stressed sometimes. It’s fun to chew on, I can get you one, too,” Ruthenium offered as she used her magic to bring a soft ball to her. She was about to toss it to Bright Eyes but halted. “I’m gonna roll it to you, ready?”

“Yuppers!” was the cheerful reply. “Soon?”

“I, uh, it’s by your tummy.”

“Oh, I didn’t hear or feel it,” she moved her forelegs and bumped the ball, a grin on her face as she rolled the ball between her forelegs. “Can you make a noise?”

Ruthenium clicked her tongue and readied herself, squeaking happily as the ball rolled directly between her forelegs. “Great roll! Coming back,” she placed a hoof on the ball and they began playing, rolling it back and forth. Ruthenium giggled and soon grinned as the filly, for the first time, giggled.

Her sweet voice making the sound of happiness that she was a part of sent warm tingles through her chest and she decided she liked it, a lot.

…***...

“Bright, wake up, it’s time to start the day. Can you open the window, it looks beautiful out.”

“The sun feels warm, I’ll get the windows.” With a casual roll from the couch, Bright Eyes trotted to the window and reared up, placed her hooves on the sil, and nudged the window open with her snout from a groove in the base. The cool morning air washed over the filly and ruffled her mane; she inhaled the clean fresh air and exhaled with a smile.

“One open, one to go.”

“Okay, Sweetie, I’m starting breakfast so I can use your help to set the table.”

“‘Kay, Ruth.”

Bright used her tail, dragging it against the wall as she made her way to the bedroom and when her nose touched the comforter she hopped onto the bed and listened. The sound of chopping echoed from the kitchen and with a happy grin she jumped and bounced on the bed.

A somersault, a twist, a bounce, and finally she landed on her belly, her body bouncing one last time before she climbed from the bed and crossed the last steps to the window. She opened it like the other and landed on all four hooves, turned back and walked around the bed to the door.

Ruthenium quickly tiphooved back to the kitchen and stifled her snicker at watching the filly jumping on the bed. “Breakfast is almost ready, can you take your seat?”

Bright Eyes hummed in agreement as she crossed the open space to the table. “Seven, eight, nine, stop.” She lifted a hoof and placed it on the table and moved forward until her chest touched the edge, and she sat down curling her tail around her flank. “Ready.”

“Good work! You’re gonna love this, it’s the usual crawlies and eggs, but I’ve added a spice from the western territories to the potatoes and hay hash,” she magicked a large plate with small portions to the filly and then a larger portioned plate to her spot. “Dig in.”

“It smells really good,” she slid the fork to the edge of the table and when the handle was off just enough she hooked her fetlock over it and held it firm. With practiced skill she dipped it into the eggs and took a bite. “Mmm, they’re not crunchy this time?”

“I learned that if I boil them in the shells first they soften a bit. Do you like them, or should I just make them like usual?”

“I kinda like ‘em. It’s different, kinda soft on my tongue but crunchy on my back teeth,” she took another bite. “Yeah, I like’m kinda soft more.”

“And what about the hash?”

Bright chewed and tapped her fork on the plate across it until it hit the next item and she scooped some up. She crunched and munched for a few seconds while Ruthenium watched intently. “Well, Bright? Is it good?”

A final gulp and content exhale. “Ahh, yeah. That stuff is kinda spicy, I like it.”

“Spicy?” Ruthenium asked as she took a small bite herself and chewed, swallowed, then reached for the empty cup on the table. “Spicy! Ack!”

Bright laughed at the sound of rushing and panicked movements combined with panting as Ruthenium got herself a cup of water and swished her mouth with it, spitting into the sink.

“Well, I’m glad you like the spice but I’m gonna have to pass on it.”

“Can I have your hash?”

Ruthenium smirked. “Just don’t spoil your lunch, okay?” she said as she moved her plate to Brights and scooped the offending item away. “I’m just gonna have to make due with raw hay this morning.”

Bright scooped a large helping and munched while the mare got up and went to the lower cupboards and opened one of the doors. A quarter bale of hay lay wrapped with chunks missing. She opened the package and pulled out a small chunk the size of her hoof and closed the bag, on her way back to the table she grabbed some salt and sat in her spot again.

“Bon appetit,” she chirped and chomped into the hay loudly. Smacking her lips she made various enjoyment noises. “Oh yeah, this’ the good stuff. Dry, crunchy, tastes like old grass,” Bright giggled, “just what a pony needs to grow up big and strong. Mmmnnnggg.”

There was a loud knock on the door and both fell silent. Ruthenium swallowed as quickly as she could while she got up and went to the door, still with a couple chews of hay left in her mouth. “Hello? Who is it?” she asked as she looked through the one way viewport.

A pony covered in black stood, face shadowed by a large rimmed hat. In a deep vibrato voice he spoke. “I am searching for Ruthenium. Open the door.”

She froze and looked back to the filly, wishing she could convey a message, anything to her without sound. “What’s the reason?” she asked.

He lifted his hoof and rapped the door again. “Open the door at once.”

Ruthenium trembled but relented, unlocking the door and opening it. The muzzle of a stallion showed itself and leapt, tackling her. With a scared eep, Ruthenium fell back into the apartment and the stallion shut the door with his tail. His hat came off and he grinned at her.

Ruthenium struggled and moved back, then stopped as she recognized him.

A large portion of hash struck his head and he winced, looking at the filly who was scooping eggs now and listening for his position to attack again. “Swifty?! What’re you-”

“Aaarrgggh! Ow, ow, ow! It hurts, it burns! My eyes! What was in th-urpgh,” he coughed as a hoof worth of egg managed to land in his mouth and start choking him.

“Get away from my Mama!” Bright shouted with a frown.

Ruthenium got up and tackled him to the floor. “This’ for your own good,” she said urgently and drove a foreleg into his abdomen. He coughed eggs and saliva, took a deep breath, and scrambled to his hooves.

With a foreleg he covered his eyes and turned away from the filly. “Stop! What’s wrong with you two, I thought you’d be happy to see me!”

Ruthenium scoffed. “Bright, he’s a friend. Stop throwing breakfast at him. Swifty, why would you act like some shady government official? Why not just show yourself?! Come here, ya big baby,” she tugged his ear with her magic and pulled him to the sink. Water started running and he quickly placed his eyes under it. “Seriously, you were asking for this to happen.”

He sighed and blinked his eyes reluctantly to wash them while sighing. “I was hoping for a hug and happiness, not a kick to the gut and assault by breakfast.”

“Stop whining and wash, I’ve got a filly to take care of.”

He spluttered, realizing what she’d said. “It’s not mine, is it?!”

“Don’t be a mule!” Ruthenium shouted at him. “I swear, all colts are the same sometimes,” she moved to the filly and helped her set her spot back up with her magic while gently nudging the confused girl back to her spot. “Bright, don’t listen to us adults, we’re going to have a talk and I want you to finish your meal… what’s left of it.”

Ruthenium leaned and whispered in Bright’s sensitive ear. “Great throwing, by the way.”

They shared a snicker and placing the fork back in Bright’s grip, Ruthenium moved to the stallion. “Okay, big shot,” she started slyly as she leaned beside him on the counter. “How’d you even get here? Pegasi, sure, cover up in a coat. But no horn?”

He blinked his eyes and moved from under the water, his head soaking wet and his mane stuck to his face. “The dressing like a shady government official gives enough effect to keep everypony away enough,” he blinked his red eyes at her and flinched. “What was in that stuff? I’ve been blasted with a lot of stuff and this burns fiercely.”

“I don’t know,” Ruthenium hummed, “it’s a spice from the west. Awww, come here,” she wrapped her forelegs around his wet head and pulled him to her chest. “I’m sorry, I’ve been a terrible host. You show up out of nowhere to surprise me and we just attack you,” she said pouting comically. “Although, I saved your life and a filly can’t be held accountable for her actions, especially a grounder.”

He smiled as she held him. “Thanks for saving me, you know, from choking on eggs.”

Bright added quietly. “I’ll do it again if you make me.”

“Well,” he said ruffling his wings under his cloak, “she’s like her momma.”

Ruthenium let him go with a little shove and gasped as they both lost their grip on the floor, slipping and falling onto each other before laughing. “You know, you were more romantic when we first met.”

Swift snorted in his laughter. “You were just as-”

“Okay! Filly present that doesn’t need to know about how we met,” Ruthenium said extracating her limbs from his, “and speaking of which, how did you find me? I never gave you my address.”

“Yeah, I caught that, thanks,” he winked, “but I really do have access to government files, so I just looked up the most pretty and fun mare in the known world.”

Ruthenium blushed. “Aww, that’s so-”

“Then I scrolled down a ways and found you, so here I-” he managed before her lips pressed to his.

“Oh, stop playing around. You know I was top ten, right?”

“Top two, right behind the Princess herself,” he pecked her lips with a kiss.

“Ugh! I can hear you kissing, you know!”

“Yes, and you’re going to be listening to some music for a bit while we have some adult time,” Ruthenium winked to him. “Swifty, this is Bright Eyes. She’s blind and he’s a grounder with wings. You two say hi while I get some music ready.”

The two looked at each other and blinked. “So,” they said in unison.

“Please, ladies first.”

“So, a grounder, with wings? I don’t believe it.”

“And a blind grounder living with a unihorn? Above ground at that?”

“Ruthenium.”
“Ruth.”

She turned to look at the duo who now had their attention in her direction. “What? I said it and introduced you, so you two get acquainted.”

“I’m Bright Eyes and I’m supposed to say I’m her pet grounder but I’m not saying that to you if you’re not gonna be honest with me.”

“I am being honest, and I’m not really a grounder with wings, I’m a pegasi! Born with these babies,” he flapped his wings and sent a gust through the main room. “Here, touch’m, you’ve never felt wings as good as mine until they’re- ah, ahem,” he looked at Ruthenium, who was smirking back at him. “Well, they’re pretty neat,” he walked to the filly and sat next to her and wrapped a wing around her.

“Huh?! What’re, what’s…” she nuzzled into his secondary feathers and dropped the fork onto the plate as she used her hooved to touch and brush against his feathers until she traced them to his wing arm and then to his back. She flinched back and eeped.

“Yeah, they’re real,” he said moving his wing around her and scooping her up in his feathers, “and they’re strong, too. Ruthenium, wanna play catch?” he asked as he turned quickly and saw Ruthenium turning to face him with enough time to react. He flapped his wing and sent the filly screaming through the air into Ruthenium’s magic field.

Swifty?! What is wrong with you? You don’t just throw a filly around like that,” she looked at the trembling filly and sighed. “But, I guess I haven’t played with her much like this, have I, walnut?”

Bright blinked her eyes and her ears swiveled just before she was tossed back to the pegasus, who caught her in his wings. “There ya go! Wait, do I see a smile?! Ruthenium, you gotta see this! Look,” he tossed the filly back to the mare and suddenly there was a giggle snort as Bright hovered inches from her adoptive mother’s face.

With a soft kiss, Ruthenium planted her hooves on the carpet and carefully tossed Bright to the stallion who’d moved just to the edge of the carpeted area. “Whoops, I slipped and missed my filly!”

“Don’t worry, I caught her! But, she’s so heavy, uh oh!”

“Ah! She is heavy, maybe a little more time in the air will make her weigh less.”

Bright squealed with laughter as she was tossed between the adults and finally after several passes, Swifty caught her and set her on the floor, using a wing to guide her to her hooves. “That was kinda fun, right?”

Bright nodded and leapt at him, missing him just barely with her intended hug and landing on the carpet. He used his forelegs to pick her up and gave her a gentle hug. “You know,” he said looking at Ruthenium, “your mom never told me she had such an amazing daughter.”

Ruthenium moved beside him and sat down. “I didn’t have her until I got back. I, honestly, had no idea what to do when I found her except that I wasn’t going to let her fall back into the darkness. Swifty, she was a unihorn and they cut it off.”

He loosened his grip on the filly. “Why would anyone do something so awful to a foal?”

“She was born blind and her parents didn’t want to deal with it, so they sent her to an orphanage. Somewhere over the past year she lost it and was sent to be a grounder,” Ruthenium shrugged. “I mean, it’s horrible, but I’ve ruminated over it so much it doesn’t hurt to talk about anymore. And it’s a part of her life she doesn’t recall very well, so I’m not pressuring her.”

Ruthenium rubbed a forehoof along the filly’s back. Bright began to pull away and was placed on the carpet. “I understand, but it’s not okay. We’ll talk about that later, I came to take Ruthenium out to lunch at the spire after a little personal time, not knowing she had company,” she smirked.

“I’m not going to find another stallion in the bedroom or anything, am I?” he joked.

“No. I haven’t had a thought about any of that stuff since I got back,” she rolled her eyes, “well, maybe a few times, but that’s not for filly’s ears.”

“Awe, you never let me hear anything fun.”

“Bright, Ruthenium is fun all on her own. Wanna come along? I’m sure you’ll meet some interesting ponies there in the lower floors.”

Ruthenium raised an eyebrow.

“Ah, you never called or tried to return so you don’t know that there are a few basement floors where top and bottom meet for fun, business, and other stuff like politics or economy whatever.”

Bright walked carefully toward the couch and when her hoof bumped it she began to walk around it with her left forehoof against it as a guide. She climbed up in the interim silence and when she’d finally settled she hummed. “Sure, I can come along, but do I have to wear the stuff?”

Ruthenium stood and moved to the floor beside the filly. “Yes, it’s the law.”

“Excuse me, ‘stuff’?”

Ruthenium looked at him somberly. “A bridle, muzzle, collar with tags, and leash. Bright is my -property-” she sneered at the word, “and I have to keep her under control until they feel she’s been ‘trained.’”

Swift nodded. “I understand the logic, but hate the society’s perceptions.”

“I know, right,” Ruthenium agreed as she got up and started cleaning the table.

“Hey! I didn’t finish eating!”

Ruthenium sighed loudly. “Bright, why,” she hesitated, “don’t I let you gobble these eggs and what’s left of the hay I’d taken out. I’m not particularly hungry right now.”

“Oh,” Swift took in the pointed look Ruthenium had given him, “well, I have to clean some hot stuff out of my eyes and cloak. If you don’t mind, may I use your restroom?”

“Yes, it’s just beyond the dresser in the next room. You may bathe, if you feel you must. There’s plenty of soaps and shampoo’s, however I’m not sure about your wings.”

“It’s alright, I’ve got these taken care of. Say, can we talk for a little bit while I run some water over my mane and whatnot? Alone?”

Ruthenium looked at Bright. “Bright, will you be okay for a little bit while I talk with my friend?”

“Yeah, I’ll be okay. Can I have some fruit since my breakfast is over?”

Ruthenium smiled softly. “Sure, I’ll get you an apple and I’ll keep the doors unlocked and open a little bit so I can hear if you need me.”

Bright smiled as her eyes looked at the floor. “Okay, I’ll be okay and just listen to the TV.”

Ruthenium opened the refrigerator and brought an apple to the filly and followed Swift to the bathroom, nearly closing the doors as she passed. “Alright, what’s the big deal, Swifty? I know you didn’t come all this way and risk exposing your wings and the secrets of thousands of years for a roll in the sheets,” she leaned against the wall as he took a towel and rubbed his head furiously.

“Ah, my mane is a mess, I can feel it,” he complained, “brush?” Ruthenium pointed to a small box beside the sink and he nodded, opening it and going about brushing his face and then mane. “So, the main reason I came here was to ask you if you were interested in moving below for a while. Xalan keeps me informed about certain events up here and we’re a bit concerned.”

“Concerned about what? My life is fine, work is fine, and I swear if this is about the rumors of invasion I’ve stopped watching all news and I’m out of politics. Ever since I went below-”

“It’s not invasion, it’s incursion.”

“Huh? That means the same thing, dink.”

He sat and relaxed his wings, looking at her sadly. “No, the invasion rumors sparked the flame of change. Not just up here, but in certain cities down below.”

Ruthenium stood up and moved to him, placing a forehoof on his cheek. “What’s that mean? Are we in danger?”

“Maybe,” he said looking into her eyes. “It’s not total anarchy, but there are many who want to live up here in the cities and not below anymore. I’m one of them, at times. They’re very encouraging and they’re gaining momentum in their movement and,” he blinked and moved his wings around them both, “and I think you’d be safer with me until this blows over. You and your daughter.”

“No one’s called her my daughter before,” she smiled and nuzzled him, sitting and letting his wings envelop her. “I don’t know what to say, but it seems farfetched to me, one month it’s getting better and the travelers are making their way here. The next you tell me that ponies are going to start popping out of the ground?”

He chuckled. “It does sound silly when you put it like that, but this is real. The travelers from beyond the forests will be here within the week and I don’t want you caught in the middle of some battle that you can’t fight in, political or physical.”

“You doubt me and my wiles?” she looked at him seductively and he gulped. “I know how to take care of some problems without even taking action.”

“Y-yeah? I, I don’t think you can make this go away. I really want you to return with me, both of you, soon.”

Ruthenium moved, her lips nearly touching his. “How soon? Do we have time to-”

“Three hours,” he said bluntly.

“Three hours?” she replied sitting back and looking at him incredulously.

“For about a week, until the travelers move on or make their demands. I’ve heard they only want peace and goodwill. If that’s the case, perhaps they can broker negotiations for us to come to the surface inside the barrier.”

“And if not? What, both sides start fighting and unihorns are caught in the middle? And why now?” she moved back and stood up. “Why didn’t you contact me or something days ago?” she shoved his wings with her magic. “Huh? Or am I just some mare to mount when you’re feeling frisky?”

“Woah! No! Not even a little, it’s not like that, Ruthenium. I care about you, even though we had a quick start to our relationship I’ve been smitten with you since before you left. Now, with the chance of the capital of the unihorn world at risk, and more importantly you are at risk… I don’t want to take that chance, Ruthenium.”

She looked into his honest eyes and sighed, placing a hoof to her temple. “So, you want me to pack and leave suddenly in the morning without notice. Just leave my life for a week or more on a whim because of a chance something might happen?”

He slumped slightly, wings sagging. “Yeah?”

“No. I can’t just leave my entire life and take a child with me into an unknown environment solely on your word alone,” she said factly. “It’s foalish fantasy fodder, there’s no reason for me to believe you, especially after how we met and spent the time together.”

“I understand what you’re saying, but it’s true. I can’t wait here long, they’re about to seal the public transports and I’m going to be on one of the last. I can’t make you come with me, both of you are free to stay, but this may be the last chance I have to see you for a while,” he stood and shook his head sending his mane flying.

“Well, be that as it may I believe you’ve wasted a trip on us. Nothing about this visit, in all fifteen minutes of it, has gone well. How am I to presume the next however long will be any better?”

“Look, you do have friends down there and if you change your mind I’ll leave you a homing crystal to reach me.”

“Sure, whatever makes you feel better,” she said moving aside and gesturing to the door. “If anything happens I will consider your proposal, but don’t hold your breath.”

He let a wing graze her back as he passed and she swatted his wing playfully away as she followed him into the bedroom. He nodded his head to the bed and she rolled her eyes and shook her head, mouthing ‘Bright Eyes’ and pointing to the door with an obvious silhouette sitting outside of it.

He shrugged and folded his wings in tight. Gesturing to the door he let Ruthenium take the lead and stomp heavily once. The adults grinned at the sound of quiet scampering hooves taking the filly away.

“So, it was nice to see you, Swifty, but as I said, we have a lot to do today and-”

“No, it’s okay. I guess I handled this poorly. You’re right,” he said donning his cloak and hat, angling it so it seemed to cover a horn, “here’s the gem. Break it and I’ll be beside you in a flash. More or less,” he winked.

“Is this a teleport gem?” she asked teasingly to which he rolled his eyes. “Okay, I get it, just teasing. Tell you what, if you’re in town any other time this week I’ll be glad to have lunch with you, both of us will.”

He ruffled his wings under his cloak in a way she knew indicated frustration. “I’ll keep that in mind,” he said as he moved to the door and opened it. “It was nice to meet you, Bright Eyes, I hope to see you again.”

The filly grunted to him but tossed a foreleg up in a disrespectful farewell.

“Don’t mind her, she’s having a morning,” Ruthenium gave him a wink. “You know that though, right?”

“My eyes still sting and I’ll remember this trip more than any other for the longest time,” he opened the door and walked through and without another word went down the hall. Ruthenium glanced at his swaying tail and bit her lip as she moved back into her apartment and closed the door.

“He’s nice, we should see him again.”

Ruthenium snorted a quiet laugh. “Bright, you were so mean to him! Why would you say that?”

“Cuz,” the filly lifted her snout, “he sounds cute and played with me, even if he had fake wings.”

Ruthenium teased with a tickle spell. “Cute? Do you have a crush on the pony with wings?” she lifted the giggling filly into the air. “Is that it, silly filly?” Bright Eyes giggled and laughed as tickles ran over her body leaving her unable to respond. “Oh, so it was about him being cute? What should I do with a little filly that thinks my friend is cute?”

“St-st-stop! Pleaase, I’m sorry,” the tickles ceased, “he’s only kinda cute.”

They both laughed as the tickle spell resumed full force and Ruthenium lowered the filly to the couch. “Okay, no more tickling. Would you like to take a walk to the park?”

Bright snickered. “Yeah, but do I have to wear it all?”

“Yes, you know the laws and I just told them to Swifty and I know you heard, so go to the bathroom and I’ll gather your restraints.

“Ugh, fine,” the filly moved to the edge of the couch and slid off and began her routine of walking around the couch and making her way silently counting her steps with her tail as a sort of guide.

Ruthenium watched her leave and turned to the small closet by the door and opened it to take out a box the size of her own head and an overcoat that she looked at and shook her head. “Too warm, I’ll just slip into a nice cool dress,” she decided as she brought the box with her to her bedroom and set it on the floor.

She took a moment to choose a light colored dress and slipped it on as Bright Eyes left the bathroom. “Okay, I’m ready,” the filly said with a hint of sorrow.

“Fret not, darling. When we arrive at the park I’ll untether you and you can enjoy some fresh air and grass under your hooves. Perhaps you can catch a snack before it hops away.”

“That’d be okay, do you think we can get some ice cream? Like the first day?”

“That depends, are you going to eat a whole bottle of laxatives?” Ruthenium joked and the filly took the bait.

“No! I won’t even if you make me. I’ll be good and-”

“Woah, woah, it’s okay. I was just ribbing you. Come here and let me don your apparel,” she said stomping her hoof on the floor and waiting as the filly moved to where she’d made the noise. “Very close, are you certain you’re vision impaired?”

“Yes?”

Ruthenium rolled her eyes and opened the box and with her magic put on a bridle, muzzle, collar, necklace, and lastly an item she believed to be silly in even the best of times that she didn’t have the audacity to tell Bright Eyes she was putting on; blinders.

“There we are, and I’ve made sure they’re not too tight, correct?” Bright moved her neck, head, and ears before mumbling agreement. “Very well, we’re off to the park and I’ll pick some ice cream up on the way back. Since you’re not supposed to speak I’ll just have to surprise you with what flavor and crunchies you’ll be getting.”


Bright’s ears flipped in her excitement and the light tug of the leash guided her behind Ruthenium through the apartment and out the door, down the halls, stairs, and outside into the warm morning air.

“Ahh, I will be honest with you,” Ruthenium said softly to Bright Eyes, “it’s nice when there aren’t many ponies on the streets this early in the morning. My friend did say there was bad news ahead, however I think he was just being a bit melodramatic. Lift your head when you walk, darling, a lady shouldn’t slouch.”

Bright made an audible grumble in annoyance but stood a bit taller beside Ruthenium. “Please, understand that I mean you the best. Many a unihorn will look at you with respect one day and it all starts with how you act as a filly.”

The next block was in silence between the two.

“So, have you been listening to the radio while I’m at work? I know it’s only been a couple days but I’m sure you’ve found the songs most uplifting. Perhaps one of the clippy cloppy songs about shopping at the mall has caught your ears? No? The noisy six string lutes are quite popular lately. No? Huh, piano concertos?”

Bright growled in frustration.

“Okay, how about- Oh, excuse me, ma’am,” she said instinctively as she was shoved aside by a quickly moving mare going past. “The reply is-” she was cut off when two police officers galloped past her and turned the corner after the mare. “Oh my, what was that about?”

She resumed her walk with Bright as a green light flashed around the cornerwhere the trio had gone followed by a ground shaking thump and finally bone shaking explosive shockwave in the span of one quarter of a second. Ruthenium staggered to the side and fell on top of Bright Eyes as screams of fright began to chorus.

“Bright, are you okay? Come, we’re going home!”

The filly was mumbling quickly and Ruthenium removed the muzzle. “-ened?! That was loud, was it an accident?”

“Hush! I’ll carry you, that was an overcharger. I felt the energy of it, where there’s one there’s sure to be another. Sweet Platinum, I can’t believe it’s happened here. In the capital of all-” she blinked as everything took a green hue to it and her eyes glanced up to a light pouring into the sky from the spire.

A static hiss preceded a loud announcement. “Unihorns of Platinum City, we are under attack. Please return to your homes and await instructions.”

“An automated message? Come, Bright Eyes, we’ll make haste.” Ruthenium took to a gallop and held the filly on her back as she swerved her way through several unihorns standing in the streets and watching the energy shield form around the city. Three blocks. Two blocks. One block. She caught the red glow of a unicorn half a block down an adjacent street and dove to the ground as she watched his coat match his magic color. The spell was quick to vaporize the stallion’s body and send a sphere of red energy from where he stood out to nearly four times his size.

The ground shattered, the building beside him caved and parts crumbled, and at least four lives around his were ended. She shut her eyes and turned her head before she saw it all, but the image of a sphere was temporarily burnt into her retna’s.

“What’s happening?!”

“Bright, I’m here, darling,” Ruthenium scratched her hooves as she got up and picked up the filly while she ran, placing her on her back as she made it the last of the way to her building.

They counted two more tremors before they got into the apartment and slammed the door, Ruthenium locking it as she ran to her room and ducked them both under her bed. Ruthenium lay panting, staring at the doorway to her room as Bright’s ears swiveled and her body trembled.

“That was scary, Ruth. What’re we gonna do? A door can’t stop a boom, can it?”

Ruthenium gulped in her dry mouth and shook her head slightly. “No, they can’t. We have to get to my friend. He wasn’t being facetious, we need to get to the central spire to get to his home.”

“Where’s his home? Do we have to? What if there’s more of the loud noises on the way? Overchargers?”

“Bright, we don’t know where we can go to be safe at all, but up here isn’t it. Come, I’ll put on a coat and carry you with me to the hub, okay?”

“What about the thingie he gave you?”

Ruthenium blinked and moved from under the bed. “Stay close to me.”

She moved to the living room and found the gem. “Here goes nothing,” she said as she picked the filly onto her back and dropped the gem. With a stomp the gem shattered and she felt a wave of energy wash over her. She closed her eyes from the light that shone and suddenly she was surrounded by noise. Opening her eyes she saw dozens of ponies of all tribes galloping and shouting, scream, moving around in chaos at what she recognized as the lobby of the central spire. “What the hay?”

Her eyes caught a black cloak and familiar hat. “Swifty!” she called to no avail as her voice was lost in the mayhem.

She tried to move to him through the blur of colors and noticed the mixture of ponies that kept her from moving very far. She watched as the doors to the elevator opened and ponies got off as quickly as others got on. The doors closed and the elevator descended as Ruthenium watched.

Mouth agape and still out of breath, Ruthenium turned to find a wall she could wait against and think things over as a plume of fire and black smoke rose from the elevator shaft.

The room fell silent as rumbling from below and distant sounds of metal on metal screeching echoed. “No, Swifty,” she managed before a practical stampede began out of the building. She was shoved and pushed, all the while holding Bright in her magic. “Hold on to my neck, don’t let go! No matter what, I won’t let go!”

The blind filly held on and cried as everything happened. So much to someone so young and unable to understand it, Bright buried her face in Ruthenium’s mane and held on as they returned to the streets. The sound of explosions in the distance forced the stampede away while Ruthenium pushed her way to the outside of the panicking herd and found a business to escape into.

She fell in through the door with five other ponies; earth and unihorns. The proprietor cast a spell and sealed the door. “What in the name of all things shiny is going on?!”

Ruthenium looked around the small barber shop and the small group huddled against the back wall, manes and tails amess. “Overchargers. Need to stay inside, safe. Don’t know where’s safe,” she panted. “Water?”

He pointed to a sink and Ruthenium didn’t care for manners as she turned it on while she moved to it and stuck her muzzle into the stream and gulped greedily, exhaling once she was done.

“Miss, we have a no mudder policy, you’re going to have to-”

“Stuff it under your tail! Look out there, would you have anypony go out there and be killed on your conscience?!”

He stood his ground and looked at the other ponies in the room and then to Ruthenium and filly. “No, I can’t say I would. C’mon, there’s a basement that might keep us safe.”

“Forget that, is there a back door? I have to get back to the tower. It’ll be the safest place to be.”

A grounder spoke up. “You talkin’ bout the place what was exploded just now?”

Ruthenium looked at him, then to the other group she’d entered with. “Yes, where else would I go?”

“Stay here, I’ll turn on the radio and we’ll wait until the government gets this under control.

Ruthenium lowered her head to her forehoof. “I can’t believe it, why didn’t I just listen to him and take the chance?”

Bright Eyes sniffled, relaxing her grip. “He still died, didn’t he?”

Ruthenium’s breath hitched. She realized that if she had gone with him that she’d be in the same elevator he was. Shaking her head she looked around the room. “Where’s the radio? Or basement?”

“Both over here,” he moved to the middle of the room and used his magic to lift a latch under a carpet and open a trap door. The mares and a stallion rushed from the back wall to the stairs and descended while Ruthenium guided her group ahead.

“Thank you, sir.”

“It’s what Platinum would do, right?”

Ruthenium smiled at him and nodded. “I sure hope so.”

She descended the stairs into a single room that was joined with the other businesses beside his. Roughly fifteen ponies huddled in groups and accepted the newcomers openly as they dispersed. “Sure are a welcoming lot, huh?” A unihorn stated as he stood beside Ruthenium.

“Seems the classes don’t matter when your life is on the line.”

“Perhaps,” he said as he moved away and to a group of unihorns and grounders. “Maybe it’s just the right thing to do.”

Ruthenium looked between the groups and shook her head. “We’ve gotta go somewhere, but where? Being at ground level is asking for danger.”

“Why not home?”

“Because, Bright Eyes, it’s miles away. I was hoping that I’d appear at his home, not in the middle of the spire. Please, let me think. I’m an adult and can handle this.”

Bright returned her muzzle to Ruthenium’s mane.

A rumble shook the large room and whimpering filled the hushed talking.

“What are we gonna do now?”