• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 3,748 Views, 91 Comments

Rainbow Dash Gets a D- - Lady Brony



RD keeps failing but when it gets threaten that she may need repeat the 4th grade. Will she pass?

  • ...
21
 91
 3,748

Chapter 4 (full)

At Bubble Gums Ice Cream & Candy Store, Rainbow and her dad sat outside on a branch with their usual favorite’s favors. For Rainbow, chocolate layered with dark chocolate and milk chocolate together; she gets it every time. For her father a very original idea... plain vanilla core, as always.

“Dad, I almost forget,” Rainbow said as she remembered a very cool field trip form, “There’s a fieldtrip coming up next month to a Wonder Bolts show, can I pleeease go?” Handing over the form to her dad, yet again doing the puppy eyes for that day, no one could resist them. (except Fluttershy)

“Rainbow, the tickets are 40 bits and you really need some more flying lessons.” her dad reasoned.

“B-but Daaddd, I’m the best flier in the class and it would be a waste of your precious bits.”Rainbow pointed out sassily, “Plus it would make me forget the traumatic experience you put me through today.”

“Traumatic experience,” the grey stallion version of Rainbow Dash repeated. “I think you've spent too much time with your Auntie Firefly.”

“I learned it from the best,” Rainbow gave the biggest cheesiest smile that she could award for it, “So can I go?”

“We’ll see.” her dad responded.

That’s never good sign.

***
Four days later
Friday: The Meeting

“Thank you for coming, Mr. Dash.” Mr. Trotter said as the meeting begun in the classroom after school with Rainbow not paying much attention there, not surprised she was bored to tears.

“As you may know that your daughter falling behind the rest of the class and isn’t handing in any assignments, and if she does she’s given a failing grade.”

“I do try and to push her to do it but it never ends well. Since it almost always turns into an argument with Rainbow’s stubborn attitude, it can be challenging.” Mr Dash replied
.
“I’m not that stubborn.” Rainbow harshly denied, not helping her case with the statement.

“You do have your moments, sweetie.” Her dad softly said.'

“No, I don’t.” Rainbow whined.

“Yes, you do, and we talked about this before-”. Mr. Dash said in a furious tone. He was not in the mood to bicker over something so childish.

Rainbow rolled her eyes at him. “Shut up”

“Excuse me, young lady but-”

“Umm, moving on,” Trotter awkwardly interrupted wanting to witness fight break out between them. “Rainbow, that’s very rude to talk to someone like that but anyway getting back on topic. Since starting the year, Rainbow she has little to no improvement. It begun with a few D’s or F’s but eventually turned into her just getting the lowest grade in the whole class.”

‘Rainbow, what is going on that’s making you to do this badly? I mean to be honest you never been that good of a student.” her dad said.

“Okay, why are you dancing around the obvious? Rainbow blurted out. "It’s because I’m stupid."

“Sweetie, you’re not stupid,” Her dad said rubbing her back in a comforting way.“You’re a tad slow on the material, nothing wrong with that.”

“I’m afraid it’s not that simple, Mr. Dash. I've recently spoken to the school counsellor and if this continues Rainbow will be held back a year.” Trotter said.

“WHAT?! I can’t be held back, I’ll be the laugh stock of the school!” Rainbow said looking on the verge of tears. “I can do better."

“Yeah, that'll be the day,” Trotter thought coldly. “However, if you start buckling down for the make-up test and get at least a 'C-', you might just pass the year because it’s worth 50% of your mark and the rest is the projects I'll give out ”.

“And I’m adding to this; if you don’t pass the test or get anything lower than 'C-', the Wonder Bolts won’t be happening for you. Got it?” Mr. Dash said sternly.
Rainbow felt the sudden urge to cry right there and then. The pressure was already building up for her. She wasn’t quite sure if she can do this. She needed to find a way out of this disaster, and she knew who to go to.

***
Monday:
At school

The nerdy sea-foam green, jade colored mane filly, Jane Stone sat on the ground at recess reading her smarty-pants book. Rainbow wouldn’t be able understand the book no matter how hard she tried, it was probably meant for ponies in high school.

Why was she in the 4th grade again? Jane seemed to be the most intelligent filly in the entire school, even occasionally correcting Mr. Trotter and she was for the most part was right. So she is perfect to tutor Rainbow on Equestrian history, if she was willing to.

Taking a deep breath Rainbow trotted towards Jane. It felt nerve-racking going on doing this but she had no other choice. Well, at that time she couldn’t think of any other useful solutions to her problem. What if Jane said 'No' to her like Fluttershy did? She'd have to get on her knees and start begging if it resorted to that.

“Hey Jane...What'cha reading?” Rainbow greeting the bookworm warmly, causally sitting next to her.

'Jane' put down her giant book and gave Rainbow a burning glare that stung.

“It's Jade, actually.” the green filly looked liked she wanted to smacked over Rainbow the head with the 300 ton book.

“We have been the same class since Flight Kindergartner and you still don’t know my name?”

“Umm, sorry but anyway I kind of need to your help with something important.” Rainbow quickly apologized.
“And why should I help you after you were constantly mean to me?” Jade was looking angrier by every second.

'What do I do, she might not help now, I’m so screwed!" Rainbow thought nervously.

“What? I-I haven’t been mean to you. Name one time I was mean to you.”
“Remember two weeks ago?” Jade scolded. “You didn’t forget already?”

***
Two Weeks Earlier

Jade sat at a lunch table herself as usual, rereading “Fancy Mathematics for the Advanced”. Even though Jade was only in the 4th grade she dreamed of going to Hayvard University and becoming a doctor. But that school is very difficult to get into and even if it worked out for her, she have to deal the competitive nature of the school which she didn't mind that much.

All of a sudden Jade felt a tap on her shoulder, she turned around to see Rainbow Dash with a piece of paper in her month. Yet not saying anything Rainbow put the paper by beside Jade.

“Can I help you with something?” Jade said seemly annoyed by this.

“Oh, Soarin told me to give this to you.” Rainbow replied walking back to her table next to hers.
Jade eagerly put aside her book. There was no freaking way the popular Soarin was crushing back on her. Her countless daydreams of him were coming true. She stared him in class when she was the first one to finish her work, for what felt like hours. She never had the guts just to talk to him. Jade began to read the love note.

"Dear Jade Stone,
I’m admitting my feelings for you. I wish I was brave enough to do this face-to-face but as you may not know, I get too nervous around your beauty. I've see you gazing at me, and I do the same but you never noticed.
I always wanted to tell you I really, really do.
~Soarin'
PS: Talk to me when I’m alone.”

Jade squealed with happiness. He liked her too, apparently he really, really did. If this was is a dream she didn’t want to be woken up. How sweet that he wrote out his feelings for her!

Jade looked for him all over, until she eventually found sitting alone eating his sandwich. This might be her only chance. Jade headed over to him, feeling excited and anxious at the same time.

“Hi Soarin” Jade said.

“Hey Jade” Soarin said not paying much attention to the love-struck filly.

“He’s so cute when he’s eating.” Jade thought. “I just wanted to say I feel the same way and your note is the kindness thing anyone has ever done for me”.

"What are you rambling about?" Soarin said staring at Jade, “I never wrote you a note”.
Jade was a bit confused, why was he treating her like this? Maybe he’s putting on an act to look cool. Jade calmed down a bit.

“You sent Rainbow Dash to give me a note.” Jade said steadily hiding the fact she wanted to scream. She put the note beside Soarin so he read again to remind himself.

After Soarin finished reading, he cruelly laughed loudly in her face.
“If think I’d ever like a geeky loser, you are completely stupid. He took a step farther and the ripped the note to tiny fragments. “Now go away, nerd.”

Jade felt her heart being shattered to a million pieces. She gave no answer but instead grabbed her things and ran to the restroom in tears.

Rainbow snickering thorough the whole time with her friends. It was just too perfect.

***

“I went home early crying all the way because of you,” Jade said giving Rainbow the most disgusted look she ever received from anyone. “You’re lucky I didn’t send my older sister to take care of you.”

Rainbow entirely forgot the best, yet most vicious prank she has ever done. She copied the note from a dumb romance novel that used to belong to her mother. She meant it to be a funny, harmless joke. She felt horribly guilty and to matters worse Jade hated her with a passion. Rainbow has no choice but to...

"Jane...I mean Jade, I’m so sorry for that. I wanted just play a little prank on you." Rainbow was now on her knees pleading with Jade.

“But I really need your help with the make-up test coming up in soon”. Rainbow said dropping her act. "If I fail I'll repeat the 4th grade if you help".

"That sounds your problem, not mine." Jade get up and started walking away,.

"Please Jade, I'll do anything for you". Rainbow said still desperately pleading.

Jade stopped and turned around “Anything you say?” Jade said with a vengeful grin.

'I'm so screwed...' Rainbow thought.

***

“Okay Rainbow, put the pencil crayons in the identical color order.” Jade Stone told Dash as she reorganized her school desk after the day had ended. All Dash had to do was clean out her desk and getting rid of unwanted items.

“No, Rainbow, cyan doesn't go with indigo. There're two completely different colors,” Jade corrected Rainbow, “It should with the cerulean pencils.” Rainbow sighed, as she followed Jade’s instructions. She could be done a long time ago if Jade would just shut up and let her do her job.

“I didn't even know that some of these existed but I guess Jade’s punishment could've been way worse,” Rainbow told herself, “If I was her, I'd rather make myself eat bugs or walk through The Evergreen Forest by myself.”

“Rainbow, how many times do I have to tell you that the lilac and mauve markers don’t go together?” Jade scolded, “I mean, you’re a giant, walking, talking rainbow and you don’t know the difference between lilac and mauve?” Dash stared at Jade coldly, beginning to reach her limit with the demanding filly. In a way she did deserve this, however, Rainbow was at the point where she could easily snap and it’s not gonna be pretty.

“You know they’re just colors.” Rainbow talked back, speaking her mind.

“I guess you don’t want my help with the make-up exam,” Jade having an untrustworthy smirk, which could have some work on, “I hope you like repeating the 4th grade.” With the last part sounding not very understanding and sympathetic, she had an almost mocking tone to her voice. She gave the impression of having fun with the borderline mental abuse.

“She did not just go there,” Rainbow thought, now wanting to punch her out. “No, I need this. Sure, Jade is acting like a jerk and I would love to teach her a lesson, but I must pass the make-up test so I never have to talk to her.”

“Umm, no, I just don't see the point of doing this,” Rainbow answered honestly, “This seems to be a waste of time. I mean don’t we better things to do?"

“You said that you'd do anything for my help, and my desk needs some reorganization,” Jade replied in a superior way, “You’re putting the crimson and cerise in the wrong order again. It's the other way around!”

“I hate this, I need a way out.” Rainbow rolling her eyes.

“Don’t you want help with your lack of coolness?” Rainbow said, slightly nudging Jade in the company of a wink. “I mean, everyone makes fun of you and calls you a geek. Don’t you want to be awesome, like me?”

“Oh no, did I blow it? She’s giving me that same look she did at recess.”

Jade stared blankly at Rainbow, maybe she was in deep thought or rather plotting another way to get back at her. “That’s interesting idea, Rainbow. We should do that.” Rainbow let out a sigh of relief as she didn’t have to finish the pencils.

“After you're done with my desk, you can give me cool lessons.” The bossy filly said.
Rainbow sighed, “This is gonna be a long day.”

Afterwards

Rainbow had at last finished the everlasting reorganization and in exchange Jade said she would help Dash study for the make-up exam at the Cloudsdale library. Rainbow had trouble recalling the last time being here. Of course, she had been in a library before but she had always had better things to do then speed her day away with eggheads. Jade gestured to Dash to follow her, leading her to the studying area. Jade brought Rainbow to the “Equestrian History” region of the library. Still not saying anything Jade grabbed many large books, taking them to a nearby table.

“Okay Rainbow, let’s get started,” Jade finally said anything, “We’ll start with chapter one and you take the notes, then we’ll go over them later, got it?”

“Yeah, I do.” Rainbow answered impatiently.

“Good, moving on to page one.” Jade said, opening the book.

***

“Equestria founding was divided into three different tribes; Earth ponies, Unicorns and Pegasi. Each tribe had its own responsibility, for example the unicorns were in charge of raising the sun and moon. The tribes only interacted with one and another for their own benefits. For instance the earth ponies were the only ones that could grow food and the other two tribes expected goods in trade for the weather from the Pegasus and the same went for the unicorns.”

***

”Alright Rainbow, you understand this?” Jade stopped reading to see Rainbow sleeping,

“RAINBOW, WAKE UP!” Jade screamed, giving the sleeping Pegasus a hard shove on the shoulder, gaining a few stares from nearby ponies.

“W-Why did you do that?” Rainbow said in a drowsy tone.

“You’re falling asleep, and I’m not going to put up with it!” Jade scolded. “If it happens again, you’ll be by yourself.”

“But I wasn’t!” Rainbow quickly denied.

“I heard you snoring...” Jade giving another one of her burning glares.

“Okay I won’t do it again,” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes, “We continue now with this?”

“Yes, if you don’t snooze off again."

***

“The tribes were governed by their individual leaders:

Commander Hurricane for the Pegasi:

Birth name:Black Hurricane
Born:1263-1317-20 (the exact date of death and birthday of the commander is unknown)
Hometown:Trottingham, Hayview
Spouses: : Rose Dust (1285-death)
Age: 54-57

Early Life:

Little to none is known about Hurricane, as the most records were destroyed in the Great Pony War. (1270-1340) However, what was saved is known about him. At age 23 he had arranged a marriage with Rose Dust, but it is unknown whether or he had children.

Princess Platinum of the Unicorns

Birth name:Platinum Hearts
Born:May 2nd, 1273-Septmter 12th, 1295
Hometown:Mareton (present-day Canterlot)
Spouses: King Sombra (1289-1295)
Age: 22

Early Life:
Platinum grew up in Mareton. She married King Sombra at sixteen.

Death:

When Platinum married King Sombra in an arranged marriage, shortly after he turned abusive and controlling. He locked up Platinum with her royal assistant Clover the Clever in the Lunar Tower, six years before beheading her on false charges of theft. The body of the princess has yet to be found. Clover died of starvation in the first six months of being imprisoned.”

***

“What’s beheading?” Rainbow asked,

“It means that they chop her head off,” Jade answered, “And you better not be trying to take a nap again or our deal is off.” Now noticing her head on the table, fighting the urge to fall asleep.

“I’m not.”

“Then why are your eyes closed?”

“I’m resting them."

“Rainbow, that’s the oldest excuse ever.”

“Fine I was,” Rainbow said, straightening her back in the upright position, “Can we go back to reading now?”

“Only if you don’t nap again, it’s annoying.” Jade scowled, anger and frustration in her voice.

“Okay, I won’t let it happen again.” Rainbow said. Jade stared indifferently at Rainbow for a second before returning to the textbook.

***

Chancellor Pudding-Head of the Earth Ponies

Birth name: Leo Pudding Head
Born:April 9th, 1269-June 4th, 1303
Hometown: Pony Land (present-day Ponyville)
Spouses: Jewel Suns (1287-1293, his death)
Age: 34

Early Life: Pudding-Head grew up in a prosperous family. At the young of eighteen, he married Duchess Jewel Suns in arrangement. It is rumored his wife died during birth and he was too heartbroken to remarry.”

***

“SLAM”

Jade banged the large textbook the table, waking the slumbering Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow, I had it! I’m leaving, now!” Jade barked, getting up and grabbing her belongings.

“What?!” Rainbow questioned, crawling out from her sluggish state.

“You repeat the 4th grade for all I care!” The green filly screamed, getting livid at Dash. “Our deal is off! I’m outta here.” Jade angrily walked out of the building before Rainbow had the chance to respond. She blew her likelihood of passing the make-up test. Rainbow let her head hit the table in defeat, she was hopelessly on her own...

Author's Note:

I would like to put a shout-out for my editor, Jake8765 who kindly took his time out of his day to correct the chapter. He does a great job and should get more credit for his hard work. Thank you once again!!

~Lady Brony~