• Published 17th Sep 2017
  • 1,961 Views, 20 Comments

I care about you - therandomone95



A story about Apple Bloom and Spike confronting and realizing their feelings for the other while Spike is far away from ponyville, in the dragon lands.

  • ...
9
 20
 1,961

Chapter 2: Her thoughts

Chapter 2: Explanation.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you so much sister! I knew I could count on you!" Said Apple Bloom still hugging her sister with love, now knowing for sure that she could always count on her big sister for situations like this one.

"Really, it was nothing, anything for my lilttle sister" Said Applejack, comforting her sister.

Both sisters sat there in the couch, hugging each other in another silence, but, this was another type of silence, it was a comforting silence, like a great weight had been lift from their shoulders, it was a silence that neither of them wanted to break. But Apple Bloom pulled away from the hug and broke the silence when she spoke:

"Guess I should answer your question now, right?" Said Apple Bloom with an embarassed blush on her face.

"Well I didn't wanna' bring it up, but yeah, I mean, I answered all your questions, it's about time you answer at least one of mine." Said Applejack in the softest tone possible, she knew her sister was fragile from time to time, like that time when Apple Bloom was first bullied by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, she was totally destroyed back then, now, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are good girls, and they stopped bullying her, but Apple Bloom was still fragile when it came to important things for her, like her cutie mark or something else.

But was Spike THAT important to her? Applejack knew her sister's cutie mark was the big deal back then, but now? it seemed Apple Bloom had found herself another dream, one that was just as important as her cutie mark by the looks of it.

"Well, if you really wanna' know, when Spike and Twilight first came to town, I didn't trust Spike, in fact, I was scared of him, I heard what dragons could do to ponies, and I was afraid he might be like the others. But one day, Twilight and Spike came here for a lil' chat, but Spike did not follow us, he stayed outside the house, so I went to cheer him up, and the rest of the day we just stayed inside the barn and talked about stupid thins, like: what would happen if Pinoccio said my nose is going to grow now, and such things; at the end of the day he had to go, the funny thing is that I didn't want him to go, that day, I considered Spike like one of my real friends" Said Apple Bloom with a giggle, remembering all the silly things they talked about.

Applejack was touched, she remembered having that talk with Twilight, but she didn't notice they weren't in the room until it was dark outside, Twilight and her went to find them, and they were in the barn, talking on their own. Eventually, they had to go, so Spike said his goodbyes to Apple Bloom and he ran with Twilight.

"But what made me fall for him... Umm... I think you're gonna' kill me for this." Said Apple Bloom, remembering one day in particular when all the crusaders were in great danger.

Applejack's happiness was cut short when she heard that: "What do ya mean?" Said Applejack, raising her eyebrow.

"Well, one day me and the crusaders tried to explore the everfree forest to see if we could get a cutie mark about exploring or something like that." When she said it, Applejack rose her head in anger.

"WHAT?!?!? Oh, you are in serious problems now, missy"Said Applejack, but before anything else could happen, Apple Bloom interrupted her:

"Wait sis! We learned from that and we won't do something stupid like that again! Promise! Besides, Spike saved me!" Said Apple Bloom, that last bit seemed to calm down Applejack a little bit, but still, she was curious about hearing what made her sister fall for the little dragon.

"Well then, start explaining yourself, what happened? and what does Spike have to do with this? I want answers and I want them now." Said Applejack angry, even if on her insides she wasn't angry, in fact, she was relieved that her little sister was okay, but she wanted answers either way.

"Okay, it all started when we entered the Everfree forest, it was a dark night and we didn't want anypony interrupting, so, we got out of our houses late, we brought Spike with us, because we needed his fire to make a little camp; but when we were in the middle of the path, we heard Timberwolves all around us, so we all ran away, and we almost did it, but I wasn't so lucky: a timberwolf bit my tail and threw me back to the forest. When I landed I couldn't walk because I hurt my legs, so I yelled fer help, but nopony came."

"But... when all seemed lost, I saw a black figure charge against the creatures and fight against one of them, and before I knew it, I was in the arms of that dark figure, when I looked closer, I saw it was Spike, who was looking back and forth, but when he looked at me, he looked at me in a weird manner, like I was a crazy pony, and a hint of something else, like admiration or something like that, and before I could take my eyes off him, we were out of the everfree forest and running to ponyville."

" 'Are you okay?' he said, and I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach and blush when he talked to me or when he looked at me. I said that I was fine , but I was so nervous that it came more like a yelp than a statement, and since that day, I think of him in a different way than I did before, because when I looked to his green eyes, I lost myself in them. It was amazing how lost I could get in them. He is terrifying and alluring at the same time, and the way he risked his life to save me, now I know for sure that I love him."

Applejack was motionless at this point, not only Apple Bloom went to the Everfree forest without her, but Spike had saved Apple Bloom's life, and he knew he was in danger when he passed the timberwolves, so he saved Apple Bloom risking his own life. Applejack felt like she owed Spike a big one, and she discovered that her little sister had a crush on her savior. Maybe she needed to help them getting together, after all, Applejack knew Rarity was too old for him and she would never return Spike's feelings for her.

"And have you asked him out yet?" Said Applejack, hoping that Apple Bloom had at least, a start for this relationship, but she was disappointed when she heard the answer to her question:

"Of course not! I don't want him to laugh at me! I don't even know if he is with Rarity or not yet!." Exclamed Apple Bloom, thinking Spike was dating Rarity at this point.

"Where did you get that idea?" Said Applejack, with a little bit of worry in her voice. What Apple Bloom said next took her by surprise and didn't surprise her at the same time.

"Because of the second reason I fell for him! have you checked Spike's attitude towards everypony? he is such a gentle... err... gentledrake! Probably there are other fillies that preffer him over other colts, like Snips or Snails, anyways, probably he won't like me as I do!". Apple Bloom said this remembering all the things Spike has done for her through the years, and all the times she had gotten him into trouble, and how he always had forgiven her, no matter what she did, Spike was kind enough to forgive her. But there was something that always messed with Apple Bloom's feelings for Spike:

"And if he does, he's still a dragon! All the other fillies and colts always say I'm the strangest fily in town, now I'll always be remembered as the weirdest, strangest and craziest pony they've ever met!" When Apple Bloom said this, she had tears in her eyes, this ones, were of pure sadness, because there was just too much that could go wrong if they started dating. Applejack just sighed and looked at Apple Bloom with determination to cheer her up.

"Apple Bloom, you know that Spike always had a crush on Rarity, right?".

Apple Bloom glared at her big sister: "Yeah. How's that supposed to help?".

Applejack giggled and responded with soft eyes: "I don't think he cared for any of that when he went for Rarity, why should you? You're just gonna' let what others think stop you? You're just gonna let them be in the way of your happiness?".

Applejack looked to see her little sister's reaction; Apple Bloom didn't looked exactly "thrilled", but, at least, she was smiling and she was in a better mood. Another slilence covered the room, only their animals outside and their breathing were breaking the silence. Applejack thought how to get the two together, and she got an idea, but her sister wasn't going to like it, or, maybe her sister simply won't accept it.

"What if I tell you I could get you two together and you tell him how you feel towards him?" Said Applejack, wanting to do something to get them together.

"What for? I already told you, I don't know if he likes me back!" Said Apple Bloom; she didn't wanna tell him her feelings, she tought that would be too much awkwardness and Spike could reject her feelings for him, but Applejack always knew how to calm down her sister and persuade her:

"Look, sugarcube, I don't have a magic ball or something else to see the future, so I can't be sure, but you won't figure it out just standing here and feeling sorry about yourself, you gotta' try it at least! And don't worry if he doesn't feel the same way, there are a lot of other colts out there, but I know he won't turn you down, I just know it! so, what do you say?". Applejack always knew what to say, her sister seemed happy again, and, with joy, Apple Bloom said:

"Thanks again sis, I really needed something to cheer me up, and you know? You're right! I have to try! But how do I know when is he going to arrive?" Applejack thought about it for a moment before continuing:

"Well, I don't know, but, when he gets here, be sure to show him how much he means to you!". This didn't answer her sister's question in any way, but, she seemed comfortable with it.

"Okay sister, I'll do it... Woah! Is it dark already?" Said Apple Bloom, looking outside, it was true, it was night time, and Apple Bloom had to go to sleep "Well then, I'm going to bed Applejack, thank you, for listening and everything." Said Apple Bloom with sleepy eyes.

Applejack waved goodbye before saying: "Good night sugarcube, all of this is going to work out, you'll see! good night!"

When Apple Bloom was out of earshot, Applejack started whispering to herself, she told Apple Bloom she could get them together when she didn't even have a plan, in fact, she didn't even know if Spike was going to feel the same way towards Apple Bloom, he was always after Rarity, wasn't he? All Applejack could do for now, was hope for things to get better for everyone.


Twilight was in her castle ready for a good night of sleep, and she was all ready for some deserved rest, but when she was starting to close her eyes, she heard something on the window, and she frightened for a second when a green fire appeared in front of her, Twilight appeared to be a little bit scared, but she calmed down when she saw the fire disappear and a letter appear in her bed:

"Hmm?, who could it be from? Normally I don't recieve letters in the night, let's see..." Twilight levitated the letter towards her and read it, inside it, this was written:

Hi Twilight!,
You're probably wondering what is going on, so let me explain:
Things have been going even faster than I was expecting! But I don't know why am I so surprised, almost every dragon fears Ember, and they'll do just as she says without hesitation or delay, and no dragon even looked at me aggressively, I think is mostly for Ember taking care of me almost all the time, we are a great team! And, if things keep going this quick, I'll be home in two days! I can't wait to see all of you again! Can you believe it? I've been just one day away from ponyville and I already miss you, that's pretty much what I wanted to say, so, I'll see you in two days, goodbye for now!
With love,
Spike the dragon, your number one assistant.

Twilight couldn't believe what she was reading, her little dragon would be here in two days! she couldn't wait to welcome him and ask him everything he learned about the dragons! but, as all things, this will come to the right time. Twilight drifted off to sleep, and probably dreamt of having her best friend and number one assistent back, who knows? but Twilight was a little sad for Spike at the same time, she remembered one day when Rarity and a stallion from manehattan were dating in a fancy restaurant, and unfortunately, she and Spike were close enough to see them together through the window.

Twilight saw them first, and she tried to pull Spike away so he couldn't see them, but it was too late, Spike saw them in the worst time possible: they were leaning in towards each other while puckering their lips and closing their eyes, leaving Spike shocked, horrified, sad and angry at the same time. Spike ran away from them with tears in his eyes, heading for the castle, Twilight couldn't do anything, she just watched the scene go.

Twilight shivered in her bed, that only happened two weeks ago! Who knows how will Spike react when he finds out that Rarity and that other stallion are living together now, all Twilight could do for now was try not to think about these kind of things and try to get some sleep, after all, she has to tell everypony the news tomorrow, with anxiety and tranquility in her mind, she gave up and let her fatigue take her to sleep.