• Published 8th Sep 2017
  • 3,888 Views, 66 Comments

A Displaced Chaos - Prince_Zodiac

  • ...
14
 66
 3,888

Chapter Four: Awaken, The Machine (Metal)


Chapter Four: Awaken, the Machine


He woke up to the biggest headache of his life. Groaning loudly, he pressed a hand up to his head to try and massage the pain away.

“Ugh, feels like my head just got stuffed into a soup can.” Slowly he sat up, the only thing on his mind being some weird dream he just woke up from. He didn't remember it too well, remembering dreams was never a strong suit of his, but he did recall the two voices spoke, talking about some sort of conflict they had.

“Oooh, my head. What happened last night?” He recalled that he and a friend of his had gone to a convention, but that was it. They walked through the entrance, and the rest was just a blur. Deciding that trying to piece together what had happened was useless for now, he did the only other thing he could do.

Find out where he was.

Looking around he found he was in some kind of cave. It was small, with a few holes in the ceiling that allowed sunlight to stream down like holy rays touching the earth. Moss covered some of the stone that was around him, making the place look as though it had gone untouched for thousands of years.

“Where am I?” he asked himself. Seeing an entrance to a tunnel on the other side, he began to walk towards what he hoped would be the exit to the cavern. “C’mon Nathan, let's figure out where we are.”

Nathan wandered down the path that led him out of the cave he woke up in, hoping beyond hope he would have some idea as to where he was when he got out. But when he stepped into the outside world, those hopes were shattered.

The cave exited into a forest. The trees were dark and warped, and it looked like a ferocious monster could leap out of the bushes at any second.

“Where the hell am I?” With no one to answer the question, Nathan had no choice but to walk, and find his way out of the forest. As he walked, he couldn't help but feel as though he was being watched. Every so often he would turn around, and find nothing, but he still felt like it was there.

And so he pressed onward, trying to find his way out of these dark woods. Even though he was walking straight, he felt as though he was going in circles.

“Okay, I'm pretty sure this is the third time I've passed that tree,” Nathan said, looking at the gnarled trunk that gave the appearance of a face. And he still felt as though he was being watched. What was going on? “Okay who's out there?”

Silence.

“I know you're there, no use hiding!”

Still, there was no reply.

Nathan sighed and began to walk once more. Unbeknownst to him, a pair of green eyes watched him as he left.

He was getting nowhere by this point. Every step he took just made him more and more irritated.

“How the hell do I get out of this damn forest?!” he shouted. He sat down on a fallen trunk, and let out a sigh. “Ugh, I need a break.”

Just as he did however, that feeling of being watched returned. But it wasn't alone. This time, the rustling of leaves followed the unnerving feeling.

“Hello?” Nathan asked, now certain he was being followed. “Who's there?”

The only reply he received was a low growl, like that of a hungry wolf. The bush directly in front of him rustled again, and a pair of green eyes appeared between the leaves. It wasn't long before the bush rustled again, and a wooden paw emerged.

What came from the foliage was the last thing Nathan ever expected to see. Stepping out of the foliage was a wolf made of wood and twigs, green eyes glowing with a mystical, ancient power.

“The hell are you?” Nathan asked. His questioned was answered with two more wolves creeping from the underbrush, their hunger evident in their growls. “Of course there's more of you.”

He was about to turn and run when additional members of the pack came in from behind him, even more coming from the left and the right. They had completely surrounded him.

‘Shit,’ Nathan thought. ‘Am I… gonna die?’

The wolves creeped ever closer towards their victim, a few licking their lips in anticipation of their catch. Their hunt was over. Time to feed.

Nathan would have backed up against a tree if he could, but the wolves surrounded him on all sides. There was nowhere he could go. The only thing that held them back, and kept him alive, was curiosity, though he didn't know why. It was like they had never seen anything like him before, and were checking him out before they attacked. And, although he had never seen anything like them before either, he assumed that they had seen a human before.

Right?

Suddenly the first wolf barked, and they all jumped him. Nathan barely had time to cry out before they were upon him, tearing apart his flesh, and gnawing on his bones.

Except they weren't.

Nathan could feel them on top of him, and he could feel them biting him, but it didn't hurt. Opening his eyes, he saw the wolves were chewing on…

‘Metal?’ The surprise was evident in Nathan's thoughts. The body they were chewing on, his body, was entirely made of metal. ‘My… My body is made of metal?’

The wolves seemed to be as confused as he was. When they found they couldn't tear into the skin of their catch, they stopped and looked at him. Well, all except one, who insisted on chewing on his foot.

Nathan sat up, looking at his hands. Each finger was a multi jointed sharp piece of steel, able to bend and flex like any other finger. His palms were black, and on the back of his hands were small yellow plates.

His fore arms were a larger piece of blue colored metal, kind of like a gauntlet, and there was a smaller, cylindrical piece from the elbow to the shoulder.

His chest looked like a jet turbine, and his legs followed the same design as his arms. His feet were like big metal red shoes, with the heel separated from the rest of the foot, presumably for balance.

The wooden beasts sniffed him curiously. Seeing as they apparently couldn't hurt him, they decided to try and figure out just what exactly he was. He smelled like the stuff that could be found underneath mountains, and didn't taste all that good. Of course, the wolf still chewing on his foot seemed to think otherwise, but since the majority of the pack decided that Nathan wasn't worth trying to eat, the alpha wolf called the others back and left, the pack following suit.

With them gone, Nathan quickly got up and ran, trying to find something that could give him an idea as to what he was now. Rushing through the woods, Nathan soon heard the calm tide of a river, and made his way to the source. Clambering down to the shore of the small water crossing, he kneeled down and look at himself. Although the image was blurry, he knew the face that stared back at him.

“Metal Sonic,” Nathan whispered to himself. “I'm… Metal Sonic.”

With no clue as to how this had come to pass, Nathan sat down on the rocky shoreline, thinking about what he had become. Just what had happened to him? And furthermore, where did this put him? Was he on Mobius? Or Little Planet? Or somewhere else from the sonic universe? And why was he Metal Sonic, of all people?

But then he began to think of his home, his life. Was he maybe still in his world, and if he was, why had he become this? What did this all mean? And what about the people he left behind? His friends? His family?

His family? Well, he didn't really have one anymore, considering his life. In fact, he didn't have a lot of things. The place he lived could barely be called a home, and it wasn't like he had very many friends, or a good life for that matter. When he thought about it, this wasn't the worst thing that had happened to him. In fact, it had the potential to be the best.

“Well then,” Metal said, a new sense of optimism within him, “guess I'm free.”

Author's Note:

Nathan, Metal Sonic, has awakened.

This guy belonged to Pyra!