• Published 31st Aug 2017
  • 1,962 Views, 29 Comments

Spike's Days at G.E.A.R.S University - Darth Severus



Spike has been accepted to G.E.A.R.S. University and is starting his classes soon. His best friends have also arrived as new students. Together, they train to fight against the strange creatures known as Shadowscythe, who plan to rule the universe.

  • ...
12
 29
 1,962

Initiation

Spike woke up in his dorm room. After yesterday's incident with the entry exam, he had been getting questions lobbed at him left and right on how he did it. In his mind, it was just a fluke, dumb luck, whatever you want to call it. He didn't think that his skill was a factor. As he got up from his bed and cracked his back he said, "These beds are as hard as a rock... I might need to get an apartment in town, one that doesn't smell like burnt coffee and old pizza..."

After tolerating the smell and getting prepared for the day ahead, including some breakfast, he made his way to his friends as they entered the dorm's main elevator, where Rarity proclaimed, "I can't believe how filthy those dorms are! I was up half the night cleaning it!"

Applejack agreed with her saying, "Tell me 'bout it. A bushel of rotten apples smells better than the dorms."

Spike stretched his arms out and said, "Forget the smell, a little air freshener can deal with that, those beds feel like a pile of rocks."

After a confirming nod from everyone else, the six exited the elevator on the ground floor, taking a little detour from their way to class, seeing that they had plenty of spare time, and went straight to the MystRaven house on campus. Upon entering, they were greeted by a purple skinned elf that said, "Welcome to the MystRaven House. You must be new here, I'm Casta, the head of MystRaven house, what can I do for you?"

Twilight told the girl, "We're here to join House MystRaven."

"Oh, well then, you've come to the right place! First we have to get you registered. Sign your names right here," the house head said, pulling out a clipboard with numerous pieces of paper and handing it to the girls and Spike, letting them sign it. After getting it back, she read their names to herself and said, "Well, your registration is complete, all that's left is to pass the initiation."

Spike tilted his head and asked, "Initiation? Is that some sort of test or something?"

The elf girl nodded and said, "Down underneath the school, there's a labyrinth. Hidden down there are important treasures that belong to MystRaven. Each of you will need to traverse the Labyrinth and return with one of the treasures."

Twilight was the first to respond, "Really? A labyrinth? You're expecting us to transverse an underground maze without any training, any preparation, any mechs, or even any idea WHERE this maze is?"

"No, no, no, no, there's no time limit, no one forcing you in, and nothing saying you can't get information beforehand, it's just that you won't get accepted in UNTIL you get the treasures, and we know you'll wait until you get your mechas before you go in... at least we hope you do."

Twilight sighed in relief and shook her hand, saying, "Thank you for your help, Casta. We'll be back once we have Mechs of our own.

The seven students went into town and walked up to the closest Mech shop, named "Tek's Mechs." This was apparently the prime place for mechs and weapons, and coincidentally the same place Spike had some weapons waiting for him since buying them on the dropship, but he still didn't have a Mecha to put them on.

The group looked around and Spike found a cool looking Mecha. He made his way past the mech and up to the counter, almost surprised by who he saw, "Hey, Tek, tell me about this one."

Tek looked up from her paperwork and said, "That's the Volt Thorn V1. It's got laser blasters on its shoulders, an electromagnetic pulse gun, and it can lob fireballs with its right arm. It's 1000 credits.

"I'll take it!" He shouted, practically slamming down his credits.

As the others took their time looking at the other Mechas, Spike actually left the shop and ventured around, asking around about the labyrinth. One girl told him that the labyrinth walls move every once in awhile, and another student claims to have analyzed the movement patterns and gave him a CD with the patterns on it.

When the girls finally picked out their Mechas, Spike told them what he learned around town and they started thinking of a plan. Rainbow Dash said, "I don't think any plans we can think of will help. The walls will keep moving, and how are we going to memorize the patterns?"

Spike said, "We'll just have to try our best, and as for the patterns, I’ll upload the data I got into our mechas’ databanks."

Without anything else to say or any objections, the girls showed Spike each of their mechas and watched as he uploaded the data from the CD into each of their databanks. It actually felt strangely natural to him, as if he knew exactly where the drive was and how to integrate the information, despite never actually seeing a real mecha before in his life, but still, he finished in record time, placing the CD into his mech for safe-keeping.

Spike and the girls headed back to the University with their mechs in tow, stopping by the MystRaven house to tell Casta to be ready with their rooms, or at least that's what Rainbow told her.

Casta, on the other hand, just smiled at the new students and said, “If you believe you’re ready, I’ll show you the way to the labyrinth.” With that, she led them to the elevator and put a key into a keyhole, which Spike and the girls didn’t notice before. As she turned the key, the elevator started going down even further than the lobby. When the elevator came to a halt, and the doors opened, they could clearly see the labyrinth’s entrance.

Spike was the first to get into his mecha. He started his way through the labyrinth, paying attention to the changing patterns. He felt as though the mecha was in control, but at the same time, he was as well.

Twilight called in on their com-links and said, “Spike, the rest of us are heading into the Labyrinth. Let us know if you find anything.”

“Gotcha Twi.” he replied as he continued into the labyrinth. Although the walls kept changing position, he felt as though he was getting closer to a treasure. As he made his way through the labyrinth, he heard a stomping noise. Another mecha was closing in on him, and it wasn’t one of the girls. He felt a rush go down his spine, shivering all the way down to his tail.

Twilight tried to contact Spike via the com-link, but he wasn’t answering. “Girls, have you heard anything from Spike? He’s not answering any of my calls. I’m getting worried.”

The others all told Twilight that they hadn’t heard from Spike either. Rainbow said, “The squirt might be trying to go off on his own. It’s not like him to ignore us…”

Applejack sighed and said, “You know, he is different than the other Drakels back home on Westion. Maybe that has something to do with it?”

Pinkie Pie replied, “Hey, I’m different than the other Equins, but that doesn’t mean anything. Does it?”

Rarity rolled her eyes in her mecha, “That’s beside the point Pinkie. The point is that Spike never fit in with anyone but us. The other Drakels back home thought he was different in a bad way. We need to find him.

Suddenly, Spike’s voice came into the conversation. There was a lot of static coming from his end, but the girls could tell that his voice was a lot deeper, and it had a growling tone to it. “Girls… I… static… found some- static losing control…” and at the last words, ‘losing control’ the signal went dead.

Rainbow Dash asked stuttering, “W-What the heck!? That was definitely Spike’s voice, but what was up with the growling?”

Twilight thought it over for a minute and said, “Applejack might have been right. Whatever’s different about Spike has something to do with this. We’ll regroup when we each find a treasure.”

As the girls regrouped after finding a treasure, Spike’s mecha ran at them. They thought he was just relieved to see them, but the mecha’s eyes were glowing red, something it shouldn’t do. Rarity was the first one to take a hit from his mecha. As her mecha fell to the ground, the others tried to stop Spike. As much as they didn’t want to, the only way to stop Spike was to force him to eject from his mecha.

Spike growled through his mecha’s cockpit and tried to fight what was going on inside his head saying, “H-Hurry! Get out of here while I still have some control over myself!’

Rainbow Dash’s mecha was the fastest of the group, so she got behind Spike’s and held him in a full nelson. “Applejack, hit it!”

Applejack had her mecha punch Spike’s right beneath the cockpit. As she did, the eject pod activated.

As Spike’s eject pod activated, he passed out when it landed. Casta hurried into the labyrinth when the girls and Spike came back to the entrance. She said, “I saw what happened using the surveillance cameras. Spike might be afflicted with a condition that makes him lose control at random times. After classes, I want you to bring him to the hospital. But for now, you’ve passed initiation. Let’s go back to the common room.”

They went back to the common room, Spike began to wake up. “W-What happened?” After the girls explained what happened in the labyrinth, he couldn’t believe it, but just like the fight for the entrance exam, he couldn’t remember what happened from the time he got in his mecha.

Casta said, “We’ll worry about that later, you seven should get to class. I’ll have your uniforms ready by the end of the school day.”

And with that, Spike and the girls went to their first class.