• Published 18th Aug 2017
  • 2,741 Views, 58 Comments

Impureblood - BioQuillFiction



Prince Blueblood, after hitting rock bottom meets a mare that spends a single night with him that helps him steer himself into a better life.

  • ...
6
 58
 2,741

Chapter 4: The Prince Returns Home

The next seven months were a blissful dream for Bluebood and Saffron both. Their dates became more and more special. The two were close, and happily embracing their blossoming love. Blue Spice had gotten more and more used to Bluebood being around. While he still did not talk, he happily enjoyed any company or attention his father gave.

"This…is what I've been missing my whole life…" Blueblood sighed in happiness.

"So it seems." Hopper said as he walked next to Blueblood, escorting the prince around the castle as a guard should. "Still find it hard to believe your title holds actual power in a boonies bumfuck furthest corner of the globe coastal marshland."

"It was a surprise to me as well." Blueblood said. "But…it's going to be something I have to deal with sooner or later…just hopefully it'll be later rather than sooner."

"At some point I guess. So, this is gonna make eight months. Anything special planned. Not too sure what can top the last one when you borrowed Princess Twilight's Vacation Zeppelin and gave her a tour around Canterlot Mountain after getting Luna to arrange the stars to spell her name. Still can't believe she agreed to that."

"I've got something very important planned." Blueblood said readily.ly.

"Finally gonna bed her and remember it this time?"

Blueblood rolled his eyes. “Not that. It’s going to be something even more special.”

Hopper gave a gasp. "A three way?!" He asked with a sarcastic tone of surprise.

“I will slap you.” Blueblood frowned. “No, I’m going to propose plot head.”

"Oh, well that's what I was expecting." Hopper said, dodging the swung hoof aimed at his head. "So, gonna try and put Shining Armor and Cadence's wedding to shame or are ya gonna do something formal and simple?"

“I want to make it the best day for her…and honestly, I doubt she’d like anything that extravagant to be honest.”

"Fair." Hopper shrugged.

The two soon arrived at the throne room, Hopper staying outside as Blueblood entered. He saw Twilight seated on the throne, scroll opened and a worried frown on her face.

“What’s wrong?” The blonde unicorn inquired.

"I'm… I'm sorry, Blueblood." Twilight said, levitating the paper over to him.

To Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria.

I am Queen Ruby Bark of the Sheepland Isles. It has come to my attention that my son Prince Blueblood the third and rightful heir to the kingdom has matured into a responsible, respectable and honest stallion thanks to your teachings. For this, you have my thanks and my gratitude. I trusted him to Celestia and he, from what I learned, turned out spoiled and entitled. For correcting him you have my thanks and a diplomatic window to the Isles.

That said, I've also learned that he is the father to a foal, and the mother is not of noble blood. Word has spread and rebels and loyalists alike seek the rightful heir to the throne returned and crowned. While the battle's have ended, politics have not. It is for this reason by week's end a chariot will arrive to collect my son, his possessions, his son and if he so chooses his foal's mother and return to the Isles to take the crown and lead the Isles into it's new age.

Sincerely,
Queen Ruby Bark.

Blueblood reread the note and took a moment to let it process…before balling it up and throwing the scroll so hard it actually dented one of the walls. “Un-bucking-believable!” Blueblood shouted in justifiable rage.

"I don't know how news reached her, but given it seems she knows how you knew before, she likely has information fed to her from the time she left you in Equestria as a foal." Twilight said.

“Well, she can personally see my wedding at this point, cause I’m not leaving until that’s done.” Blueblood stated.

"Wedding? Did you propose to Saffron already?!"

“I was going to today, but my ‘mother’ want’s to ruin it.” Blueblood frowned. “So I’m going to have to…sadly speed this up.”

"I doubt she wants to ruin it, Blueblood. You read the letter. The loyalists and rebels want you crowned and now that they know you're mature enough for it they're likely using this as a means to put the actual ruler on the throne and are likely forcing her to call you back. Her position was meant to be temporary and it's lasted your whole life this far. Ponies like this, set in old tradition and religion won't budge on the matter."

“I’ll throw them off this mountain if they think they’re going to stop me from marrying the one I love.” The royal unicorn stated. “Not the most ideal of circumstances…but can you please help me set up the wedding? It doesn’t need to be anything super fancy…just something to make it special for her…”

"I'd be honored, but I have a feeling your mother is more on your side than you think. She did say for you, Blue Spice and if you choose, Saffron, to join you on the return. Celestia has told me a fair amount about your mother Blueblood, I think you should trust her with whatever she might be planning."

“I don't like how she wrote it though.” Blueblood frowned. “‘His foals mother’, acting like she’s not the love of my life…even if it’s for dumb political reasons, at least have it said like Saffron’s an actual pony and not some brood mare damn it.”

"I imagine it was written like this more for the appeasement of the Political groups over her own intentions. After all, the old letter she left for you was so heartfelt."

Blueblood sighed out. “It’s…it’s still really annoying…”

“Trust me, all politics are annoying.”

“Yes…yes I know…” He sighed in resignation as he sat down. “How am I going to tell Saffron all of this?” Blueblood groaned, lightly dragging his hooves across his face in agitation.

That night he and Saffron were on their date. Luna’s moon was high in the sky and the two sat on a tower balcony, a bottle of wine and a glass of it in each of their magic holds.

“And… there is no rejecting this, is there?” Saffron asked, Blueblood having told her the news over the first two cups of the wine.

“I’m sorry, but there really isn’t…” Blueblood sighed out. “My mother is very adamant about this, as well as…my apparent home country’s people.” He sighed. “But I’d sooner be banished to the moon if I let this stop me from marrying you.”

“Blueblood?” Saffron asked, watching as he put the glass down, and pulled out a small box, opening it with his magic as it revealed a perfectly sized horn ring. Adorned with a bright blue gemstone.

“Will you marry me Saffron Masala?”

Saffron was silent, her eyes wide and mouth hung open as she eyed the ring then Blueblood. For several seconds that to Blueblood felt like an eternity she said nothing, before smiling, lifting his muzzle up with a hoof and giving him a kiss upon his lips. When it ended, tears in her eyes, she nodded. “Yes, Blueblood. I will.”

Blueblood could feel the tears of joy spring into the corner’s of his eyes. “Thank you my love…thank you so much.”

Saffron placed the ring upon her horn, bringing Blueblood into a passionate hug and kiss. Entering the tower, the two took the heat of the moment to close and lock all doors and windows, and made use of the lounge sofa for not lounging.

Blueblood made sure to imprint this time to memory.


The next morning, Blueblood awoke with his love by his side, the two of them enjoying the afterglow and the new memories.

By mid afternoon, the two were married, a small private affair between them, Princess Twilight as the official marrying the two, Hopper, and Saffron’s father and Blue Spice in attendance.

When that was done, the days leading up to the arrival of the chariot to take the two to the Isles flew by. Each morning Blueblood woke up next to his wife, spent the day with his son, and while he still did not talk he was smart, clever and quite talented. At night, he spent it with Saffron as a wed couple would.

It was a simple, but lovely honeymoon.

The day the chariot came, two Pegasi, somehow larger than the guard in their armor, arrived pulling an all metal chariot. It was a surprise, but the inside was rather comfortable and spacious. Blueblood, Saffron, and Bluespice, luggage and such was packed and then they were off.

To say it was a strange ride would be an understatement though. They watched as Canterlot vanished in the distance. Then, watched as the chariot became covered in clouds, blocking all sight… and suddenly, just as they arrived the Clouds vanished, and below them was marshland forests.

“Wait, how are we here so fast?” Saffron asked as she and Blueblood, both bearing a shocked expression, were not above the Isles. A seven day flight… somehow in less than an hour.

“That…that should be impossible.” Blueblood shook his head. “Not even some of the Fastest Wonderbolts could make it here that fast…a day or two maybe, but in less than an hour?”

“...Blueblood?” Saffron asked. Blueblood looked up, and his blood ran cold. Before them was the Castle. Tall and proud, made from stone and metal it seemed and was spanning TWICE the size of the entirety of Canterlot city, and was FLOATING high in the clouds, easily as if it and the LAND it was on were clouds, it floated as a pillar of either magic or some unknown power shot out into the sky and with the stars themselves.

“Wh-what?” Blueblood asked helplessly at the sight.

The chariot landed upon a tower handing landing strip, and the doors to the chariot open. Carefully the three exited, greeted by guards carrying spears with glowing blades of light as an older mare, a once blonde mane now showing many strands of white with age and her off white coat wrinkles from age and stress stood before them. What caught them off the most were the scars. Scars deep enough to have left her dead several times over were upon her face, neck and parts of her exposed front legs, only the rest was covered by a long and heavy cloak.

“Son. It is good to see you.” She greeted Blueblood with a smile.

“Uh…hi mom…” Blueblood said slowly, still trying to process…literally everything that he is now witnessing.

“I imagine you have questions. And I see you brought your son and his mother. I suppose explanations and such are in order. Please, follow me.” She asked, turning and the trio followed wordlessly.

They soon arrived in a large office room of sorts, the floor tiled and the walls stone. The door was a thick, heavy metal door that glided open on it’s own with ease and the windows appeared to be just a frame where light and a breeze passed through but still kept out birds, insects and other air flown items. The table was long, solid wood with many chairs around it. Once Queen Ruby Bark had the door closed and did something to it that sounded like a heavy lock clicking into place, she spun around.

And then hugged her son. “I’ve missed you so much!!” She cried out, and Blueblood learned that despite her old body, she was by no means weak or feeble. His bones popped and cracked audibly as she hugged the air out of his lungs.

“Air!” The stallion wheezed as he tapped at his overly strong mother. “My bones~.”

“Sorry!” She said, letting go and letting her son take in air again. She did then begin kissing along Blueblood’s face and head. “I’ve just missed you so much my baby potato!”

“Baby potato?” Saffron asked, her shock managing a crack at hearing the adorable and hilarious name.

“Yes when he was a foal wrapped up in his blankies he looked like a tiny potato and his horn was so small it was like it had a little bud, especially when his mane would curl around it.” Ruby said.

“Mother~!” Blueblood whined. “Don’t bring up embarrassing things to my wife!”

“I have thirty six years of your life to make up spoiling, scolding, coddling and embarrassing you. No.” She said, giving her son another wind removing hug. When she was done with that she zoomed over to Saffron. “So you are the mare who changed my son’s life from a spoiled brat to the gentle stallion he is. And mother to my grandfoal!” She said, giving Saffron the same treatment. “How is your mane so poofy!” She said, petting Saffron’s mane.

When she finished her fawning over Saffron she then zoomed over to Blue Spice. “Hi there.” She said, kneeling down to be at eye level with the foal. “I’m your grandmother. My goodness you have your daddies good looks and mamma’s poofy mane!” She said, aso petting Blue Spice and giving the foal a much more gentle hug.

Blueblood cleared his throat. “Mother…you have a lot of explaining to do as to why this place looks like a more sci-fi version of Asgard?” Blueblood asked carefully.

“Five more minutes honey.” Ruby said as she hugged her grandfoal for exactly five more minutes and then after placing Bluespice down looked over to her son and daughter in law. “Now then, you have questions?”

“What in the world is all of this!?” Blueblood asked incredulously, waving a hoof around everything. “This place is twice the size of Canterlot mountain and flying!”

“Oh well you see about six hundred years ago our population began exceeding our food production so the best option, your ancestor Golden Blood, thought of was to take one of the nearby islands and raise it above the surface to house the population and use all the surface within our territory for farmland. So far it’s worked out well.”

“That amount of technology and magical might is literally impossible.” Blueblood said in shock.

“Celestia and Luna literally move the sun and moon. The amount of raw Magical energy to do that was calculated and very possible within the first two hundred years of Link Heart’s teachings being left to us.”

“What?” Saffron asked.

“Oh that’s right well I suppose you don’t know that all then…” Ruby sighed.

“Mother, the only thing we know about this country is so outdated. One of our most precious sources of information is a newspaper so old its papers are more leathery than even the oldest and stubborn ponies' skin back home.”

“Well if your father had his way and the rebels never showed up then that wouldn’t be an issue.” She huffed. “So, where to start… I suppose the beginning.”

And so, the next hour was spent with Ruby telling the story of Link Heart. Ect great grandmother to Blueblood prime and how he was born from Link Heart, a being from the stars that fell many countless moons ago and when she left after outliving her husband and nearly outliving her own children, left behind her family to rule the kingdom as well as all her knowledge and teachings for them to use as they saw fit.

“And that’s all without getting into the Gifts of Nobility that you and Spice here possess as her descendants.” Ruby finished off.

“So, wait, that story is… true?” Saffron asked.

“This castle wouldn’t be floating if it wasn’t.” Ruby said with a nod.

Blueblood, again, tried to wrap his mind around all of this. "This…is still all sorts of crazy…" He shook his head ead. “Even being here…it still feels all surreal…”

“Yes, well were it not for the rebels, this would have been the norm for you. Oh, speaking of, I'll have to get you up to date on the Kingdom. The current political issues, population numbers and food production, the developments in the Magic and Science areas, your coronation and a tour of the kingdom.”

“And I’d sooner tell you to throw the crown off the island if I wasn’t forced into this.” Blueblood commented with a bit of spite.

“Oh, and your bride!”

“Me?” Saffron asked.

“No, I mean the one the other nobles arranged in order to have something their way.” Ruby sighed. “While the laws state you two aren’t married within the Isles, once Blueblood takes the crown he can alter the law and there’s nothing the nobility can really do.”

“And…I’m forced into this loveless marriage because I need to…cater to more spoiled ponies?” Blueblood asked, poison laced in his words.

“I don’t like it either but after Strong Jaw was killed the remaining rebels only agreed to a truce on the condition a noble mare of their choosing was made to be your bride when you returned. Otherwise we’d still be warring.”

Blueblood snorted. “And, pray tell, who is this mare?”

“Her name is Rosey Piece. From what I can understand she was raised with the sole purpose of being your bride should the rebels win. Given they didn't, they likely didn’t want their time and effort grooming her to be your wife to go to waste.”

“That is unsettling…” Saffron said.

“Yes, well just be glad you never met Strong Jaw. That was his plan and after she birthed you a foal he was going to kill you, her and raise your heir with his ideals and aspirations. Had he won all you see around you would have been turned into a means for global conquest.”

Blueblood looked at his mother. “Yeah…so I’m just gonna go with no.” Blueblood said slowly, finding that whole thing just…honestly sickening. “Listen, I might have found the love of my life due to me getting black out drunk due to my…past regrets, but that’s pure horridness to literally groom a lady to love me for…reasons.”

“It’s that or the civil war is back on and even if they lose again should they escape the kingdom the damage they can do to another country is like nothing like past threats Equestria or the world will have ever seen.”

Blueblood rubbed his temples. “More stubborn than Celestia denying she has a cake addiction…”

“Well… I say go for it.” Saffron said, gaining a shocked expression from Blueblood. “It might be odd but if it’s to end this crazy rebellion and civil war then fine. So long as she knows I’m first and she’ll get no noble treatment from me.” Saffron said with a nod.

“Plus, once crowned Blueblood can make you a noble in this country, and while your marriage to Rosey will still happen legally you can have Saffron be your wife here as well.” Ruby added.

“Oh, maybe that means we can have a full on wedding when we do rather than that quickly put together one. It was special but I would like to walk down in a dress.”

“I wanted to give you that special day…” Blueblood sighed. “But…fine…there better not be some conspiracy to try and hurt my son and wife or worse.”

“Should such an event happen I swear on your fathers grave I will personally hang them by their genitals and let the public use them as pinatia’s til they die.” Ruby said, earning a wide eyed expression of shock from Blueblood and Saffron. “Break my family once, they’re lucky I’m being political now that all that remains of Strong Jaw is my new sword sheath and booze mug, hurt my family twice and I will personally ensure their deaths will be a tartarus before tartarus.”

“... I like her.” Saffron said with a smirk.

“Well…good to know.” Blueblood nodded.

“Come now, it’s time you meet the fifth captain of guard and my informant in Equestria. Now that you are back his new assignment will be much like his old, to watch over you as your personal guard.”

“And…let me guess…” Blueblood sighed, already having a feeling he knew who this captain was.

It was a fair walk to the fifth guard captain’s office. Upon entering Blueblood was greeted by the face of who he was expecting. “Prince Blueblood. Honor to see you back in the Homeland.” Hopper said with a salute from his desk.

“I…I hate you dude.” Blueblood groaned.

“Til an honor to have such high praise my prince.” He said with a thick coat of sarcasm.

“At ease Captain Cloud Hopper.” Ruby said with a chuckle.

“Yes my Queen.” Hopper said with a chuckle as well. “Well, as you can see Blueblood, I was an agent reporting directly to your mother.”

“Which explains how she knew practically everything.” Blueblood rolls his eyes.

“Well to be fair you have had several spies on you in the past. You were just such a little…”

“Spoiled rotten piece of shit in pony shape?” Ruby offered.

“Exactly my Queen. You were such a that so they were reassigned. Thankfully when I got assigned was after you lost your V-card in a drunken night of food and pathetic self hatred.”

“Ah, yes, ‘pathetic’...” Blueblood rolled his eyes.

“I am honestly your friend Blueblood, I want to state that now. But I am also your guard and will put that ahead of our friendship if the need arises.”

“Alright, so mind if I point out you losing me twice on my drunken night meeting Saffron is now a terrible lie?” Blueblood asked. “Cause you managed to…get here before we did, and we were in a chariot that should normally take a week to get here in under an hour…”

“I actually arrived here with you around the same time. But that’s besides the point.” Hopper shrugged.

“Well, Hopper can take over guiding you around the kingdom. I shall return to my duties.” Ruby said. “I shall see you three at dinner.”

“Alright.” Blueblood nodded. “Though…to be honest, I’d recommend trying Saffron’s cooking, it is absolutely wonderful.”

“Well perhaps if you make it to the kitchen before dinner she can prepare something.”

A little after Ruby left, Hopper, Saffron, Blueblood and Blue Spice were walking the seemingly endless halls.

“So, where would the Princes’ and Lady like to see first?” Hopper asked.

“Well…this is our first time here.” Blueblood answered. “So where would you recommend we go first?”

“Hm, well I doubt you wanna go anywhere heavily populated yet. Let’s start with the Royal Archive.”

“Sure, maybe I can get some light reading to see what nonsense has been going on here.”

“Fair enough.”

A short thirty minute walk later, the group found themselves before a large set of wooden doors. Opening, Blueblood, Saffron and Blue Spice were all met by towering shelves each covered in books, and scrolls. They arrived at a desk where an earth pony mare sat before a rather odd device of metal and light.

“This is the Royal Archives. All of the literatures and sciences and magics and history of the kingdom are here in print and digital formats.” Hopper said.

“Digital?” Saffron asked.

“I think it involves computer’s in some form, like the Arcades and how they operate right?” Blueblood guessed.

“Oh right, I spent years in Equestria and forgot you guys barely made color TV and home video consoles.” Hopper said. “But, yes. Basically that but… seven… hundred years more advanced.”

“Sweet Celestia.” Blueblood muttered in awe.

"How many books do you have here?" Saffron asked.

"Well if it's just books then in physical print there's easily several million and digital about nine trillion. But that's just books, things like movies, music and ECT are also uploaded to the archives and such."

"If Twilight was here, I'm pretty sure you'd have to a massive mess to clean up." Blueblood chuckled.

"Probably. Now, as you can imagine all this knowledge and innovation didn't come from nowhere. Being an isolated kingdom and all, we don't charge knowledge or even trade with other kingdoms, so I imagine you're wondering how all this was even made possible."

"Yes, it would be very difficult if you didn't have any outside help." Blueblood nodded.

"We were left with Link Heart's teachings." Hopper said. "Now I know it sounds like a religious thing but in fact Link Heart left a special diary holding all the knowledge she knew of science, magic and the cosmos that only her blood family can read. Part of the duties to the ruling kings, Queens, Princesses and Princes that have worn the ruling crown is that they read through the book to teach the common folk it's knowledge."

"So that's why Strong Jaw needed an influencing heir to the crown. He wanted that knowledge." Saffron said.

"Yes." Hopper said. "Past rulers have used this knowledge to bring our kingdom to amazing heights, but Strong Jaw saw it as a means to craft weapons and combat spells the likes of which could most likely tear the planet to space debris."

"Fantastic…" Blueblood sighed. "But at least he's dead now."

"Dead and reduced to a leather sword sheath and your mother's new booze mug." Hopper said with a nod.

"Well…that's one way to make a statement…"

"We might be advanced but we can also be brutally barbaric." Hopper said with a nod. "I suppose next should be the Science and Magic labs and research."

“Alright.” Blueblood agreed. “Let’s see how far thing’s really are…”

Walking back into the endless hallway. "Is the whole kingdom inside?" Saffron asked.

"The capital is all here. We have a few other floating settlements along the ocean and two that are on the ocean floor." Hopper explained.

“At this point, I doubt even this Kingdom’s mastery of technology and magic could stop Twilight from going on a knowledge seeking rampage…” Blueblood sighed.

"There are protocols…" Hopper said as we walked down the ways. "The other floating settlements largely deal as residential and weather works. The two underwater ones focus on salt water filtration and fertilizer development."

"How does an underwater city make fertilizer?" Saffron asked.

"Fish. When grounded into a paste and mixed with soil the fish help make excellent fertilizer. Plus construction is underway for an undersea farm that if operational will boost food production of the kingdom by 500%."

“Wow…” Blueblood said in amazement at that estimate.

"How large will this farm be?" Saffron asked.

"The entirety of the town of Ponyville plus the size of Sweet Apple Acres, all dedicated to farming." Hopper said. "Our current major food source is rice, but over the years we've developed means to farm fruit trees that are bred to thrive in the marsh soil, as well as beans and some vine plants. There are special buildings for growing things that are more dependent on firmer soil like potatoes, wheat and such but they are few and far between, which the new Undersea farm is hopefully going to correct."

“Interesting…” Blueblood hummed, thinking about the many times he had to look over agriculture a few times.

"How long is construction going to take?" Saffron asked.

"We started it earlier this year and should be done within a month." Hopper said, making Bluebood do a double take at him.

“Excuse me?” Blueblood asked. “That’s…rather quick don’t you think?”

"By normal standards, it's actually a bit slow, but most of our metals need to be enchanted to resist the rusting so that takes longer. The ocean floor is completely rich in iron deposits and it's our primary building metal unless we use transmutation magic to alter it into steel or copper or whatever metal is needed."

“And…by what ‘normal standards’ are you going with?” Blueblood asked.

"Well, if the facility was built on land without the water draining and cleanup process it would already be done." Hopper said.

"Right…" Blueblood answered slowly.

The group arrived at the Magic and Science Labs, all kinds of odd and advanced items and devices all being tested and improved.

The next room was a large, two story two bedroom almost house but was, of course, a room within the massive floating indoor city. "And this is your chambers Prince Blueblood." Hopper said.

Blueblood looked around the room. It was well kept but seemed to lack a sense of having been lived in. A pile of aged presents ranging from Hearths Warming to Birthday based on the wrapping sat in a corner, a painting of Ruby, looking much younger and lacking the scars, an older version of Blueblood sporting a thick beard and mustache that must have been his father. Between the two floating in magic was a small, white baby foal, a Colt with a bright blonde mane.

Blueblood quickly realized, this was always meant to be his room.

"This…this is my room…' Blueblood muttered in shock.

"Yes. As it was your father's before you, and so on and so forth." Hopper said. "This room has housed the princes and princesses since this castle was built. I never got to know your father, but I know your Mother spent a lot of time here, and every birthday, every Hearths Warming she'd leave your gifts here and talk to the painting. To your father."

"She…she could have sent me letters…" Blueblood tried. "Just…something…"

"Having me and past spies was all she had luxury for. Besides, If an enemy got her letters first and twisted them, altered her words or enchanted the parchment to influence you to their desires, it was best you knew little or nothing until the time was right."

"And…mind if I ask why none of you bothered to try and 'straighten me out' as it were?" Blueblood asked.

"Who do you think popped the idea for the Nobility Program Princess Twilight initiated. You finding Saffron was sheer coincidence but in the end that plus the program helped shape you into a better stallion."

"Well…I suppose that makes sense." Blueblood shrugged.

"Your luggage should be in the bedrooms. There is a private bathroom and if you need anything press the switch next to the doors to call for a servant. I shall be standing guard outside the door while you three get settled."

Once Hopper was outside standing guard Bluebood walked over to all the presents. Despite the age even the oldest ones looked rather extravagant.

"So many years missed…" Blueblood muttered sadly.

Blueblood began doing something he had never done before. Opening the gifts his mother left him. The oldest were as expected. Toys, foals books and funny hats. Soon foals items were replaced with training swords, a suit of elegant metal armor too small for himself and too large for Blue Spice. At the present that would have marked eighteen, was a small metallic crown that glowed with along it's gemstones. It wasn't as a king's crown, it was a prince's crown. It was old, clearly but well kept and polished to a shine. Like this room, it was clearly an heirloom passed down the generations.

A letter sat next to it.

My Dearest Son.

By now, you are eighteen and likely I am gone if this letter finds you. If you are older, then know that this crown, passed from King or Queen to the heir to the throne, signifies your bloodline and your right to the Gift of Nobility, left to our family by Link Heart.

Once this crown rests upon your head, your right to the throne will be sealed and your Gift of Nobility will awaken. How or why the Heir's crown does this I have no idea. I might be a wise king but I'm not a smart stallion.

Regardless, whenever this crown and note finds you know that I love you, my son. I regret I never got to see you grow up, teach you swordsmanship and combat, never watched you cast your first spell or earn your cutie mark.

You are my pride and joy, my son. And while my time knowing you was short, I loved every moment of it.

Sincerely,
King Blueblood The Second
Father.

"I'm sorry father…" Blueblood muttered sadly.

Blueblood looked the crown over in greater detail. On the outside, it seemed to be simple gold with special enchanted gems for a glowing effect. Inside the ring of the crown however, were ever changing matrixes and magic woven so deep into this crown it was like staring into magic itself.

"Are you going to put it on?" Saffron asked.

"I…might as well…" Blueblood sighed. "I can't put this off any longer than I was forced to…"

Carefully, Blueblood placed the crown atop his head.

For a while it seemed like nothing happened, until the world around him went dark. Blueblood wanted to panic but it was as if he was missing his own body. Suddenly the darkness around him was lit up by countless stars all shining bright. As if he stood in the beauty of space itself.

He soon spotted a strange creature, it reminded him of…

The creature changed form, suddenly it was a unicorn mare, rose red coat, a bright ivory mane and tale and blue eyes so old and so loving it was like staring into the embodiment of motherhood.

"Your gift, my child." The mare said, taking Blueblood by the sides of his head and planting a single soft kiss on his forehead, just below his horn.

In a blink Blueblood was back in the room, Saffron looking at him expectantly. "Well? Feel anything?"

“I…don’t feel any different.” Blueblood shook his head lightly. “Though…I think I met Link Heart…”

"What? How? You barely had that thing on for five seconds?"

“It’s…extremely hard to explain…” Blueblood shook his head. “But…it felt like I was in space and…I met her…she gave me the gift, whatever that is…”

"Okay… so, any idea what it is?"

“No idea.” Blueblood shook his head.

"You got it but don't know what it is or how it works?"

“No and…no.” Blueblood answered simply. “I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that…this entire kingdom is supposed to be my family legacy to be honest.”

"That's true. Perhaps after a rest, maybe a nap you'll feel better."

“Most likely yes.” Blueblood nodded. “Some sleep would definitely help…”


It was the next day when the family awoke, and they awoke to the smell of food flooding the room. Waking up in a daze, Blueblood didn't realize the brush fixing his mane, the placing of his crown upon his head or the tooth brush entering his maw to clean his teeth until water was poured into his mouth. On instinct he spit it out, his senses now coming to him as various maids were using their magic to clean and dress him.

"Oh good… you woke up." Saffron said from the corner of the room, a corset being tightened around her barrel by other maids.

Out the doorway he saw Bluespice already cleaned and dressed but outrunning some maids trying to place a rather adorable little hat atop his head.

"What in blazes is going on now?" Blueblood asked, trying to rub away the tiredness from his eyes. "And why are you trying to put a corset on my wife?"

"It's standard maiden attire, your highness." One of the maids spoke up. "Any mare in the company of the royals not employed by the crown is to be dressed accordingly in maiden attire."

"I still think it's a bit- ffffffffuuuuuu!" Saffron wheezed out as the final pull on the corset was done and then tied before the maids levitated on her a dress that surprised Blueblood. It was a lapis lazuli blue with gold trimmings that complemented her poof- scratch that, brushed straight mane. Blueblood didn't think it was possible for Saffron to have a flat mane… nor did he imagine she would look so… stunning. "Tight…" She breathed. "For basic Maiden attire it's rather luxurious."

"Well it should be, it signifies you as the Prince's bride to be. Queen Ruby did some digging and found a loophole that can make you equal to nobility and legalize your marriage in the Isles to the prince." Another maid answered.

"You look absolutely stunning Saffron." Blueblood said in awe at the beauty of Saffron.

"Thank you… now if only I could fill my lungs properly." She said, using her own magic and loosening the corset a little. "Oh stars that's better…" She breathed a sigh of relief and a smile.

“And that’s why Corset’s tend to be seen as outdated by everyone either not used to it or…not using it for other reasons.” Blueblood commented.

"Mind if I ask why you were brushing, cleaning, and dressing us?" Saffron asked.

"It's our jobs. We assist the royal family anyway we can." Another maid answered.

“You get used to is Saffron.” Blueblood sighed.

"Your mother is in the downstairs room awaiting you all for breakfast." Another maid said.

Once Blueblood was also dressed he, Saffron and a pouty Blue Spice went downstairs where a newly placed fair sized table sat packed with food. "Good morning." Ruby said as she greeted her family with a smile. "Today is going to be a bit of a busy day and I hope you all fill up."

“What is today’s business mother?” Blueblood inquired simply.

"Well after breakfast we have a meeting with the nobles where you will be announced to the public as the new King by months end, I will also be enacting that loophole rule and making Saffron here the representative of Equestria, allowing her a rank equivalent to nobility and making your marriage legal here in the isles… and then your marriage here in the isles here. You will be introduced to Rosey Piece."

“That’s wonderful.” Blueblood smiled, already liking the day more as he was told that bit of news of the people having to see Saffron as his wife and nothing less.

"What is Rosey Piece like?" Saffron asked. "Seeing as I'll be sharing my husband with her because of politics…" Blueblood nearly choked on his first bite.

"She is a nice mare, not very bright, but she wasn't groomed to be bright. Poor dear can barely read and write. She was raised to be a timid, submissive bride and is eager to meet the both of you." Ruby said. "Her family was all killed in the wars early days, Strong Jaw found her amongst the orphans and given her family was well known for their family bloodline of high ranking guards within the kingdom, well."

Blueblood rubbed his temples. “Cause that’s what we need at the moment…” He grumbled. “So tell the Rebel’s to give her an actual education and to treat her like a respectable mare, cause I was told the rebel’s had, while groomed, a respectable mare that is worth all this time and effort, not a child in the shape of an adult.” Blueblood frowned. “Cause if they’re leader think’s that’s a reasonable version of what a wife should be, I honestly don’t know how their rebellion even got off the ground.”

"Considering his plan was to have her have your foal then kill you she wasn't meant to be your wife for long. I don't expect you to agree with this son, or like it or even to love her but I should hope you and Saffron both can help her. She has been conditioned to listen only to Strong Jaw, who is now dead, or her husband, you. Anypony else and she just stares blankly at them as if you were speaking to a doll." Ruby said, a maid brought her a mug… it was a pony skull, and was engraved with the name Strong Jaw, with the jaw bone now clearly modified with a bottle opener. "The only one that can help her is you, son."

“Great…the one time I wish I got a more in depth tutoring on psychology other than ‘how to get more nobles to line your pockets’...” Blueblood grumbled.

"Once the marriage is done and you are the new King the rebels have agreed to surrender and will face whatever punishment the new King wishes to bestow upon them."

"That seems a bit anticlimactic." Saffron said.

"Without Strong Jaw they fell rather easily." She said, lifting the skull mug to her lips and drinking the win within the cranium.

"That… that is his actual skull… isn't it?" Saffron asked, looking rather sickly now.

"When I make threats, my dear daughter in law, I keep them." Ruby smiled.

“And…what would you have me do with them if I may ask?” Blueblood asked carefully.

"Whatever you wish my son. Once you are crowned King all authority transfers to you. All I shall be is grandmother to your lovely son, an advisor if you seek it, and getting shit faced drunk."

The soon to be king sighed. “Well…I suppose that’s a fine enough retirement plan…”

"So, that just leaves what will you do? Their punishment will be your first act as a King." Saffron said.

“I’m going to have to look over all their war crimes, look through the entirety of this countries legal systems, and figure out a proper response by the end of this month which is…” Blueblood rubbed his temples. “I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to steal your new booze bottle mother if I’m going to get through all of that.”

"Just wash it before you return it sweetie." Ruby said with a chuckle.

“And I’m gonna need some of your best booze, and don’t give me any cheap crap cause I can tell.” Blueblood brought up.