• Published 23rd Jul 2017
  • 528 Views, 22 Comments

The Rift - Colors



There is a rift on the large crystal sphere that surrounds the known universe.

  • ...
3
 22
 528

#24 The Rift | 2

Author's Note:

This story is updated daily – that is more or less the whole point. And there is no exception... except when there is. I’m going to be without access for a couple of days, and be unable to publish anything. Therefore, I did a double update today, I’ll do another tomorrow, and I’ll do more every day after I’m back, until there have either been exactly as many double updates as missing updates, or the story is completed.

I

“Alright!” Twilight Sparkle announced. “We are going into the abyss! First thing we need to do is organize how we do this. I suggest we start by forming groups. Everypony who can fly, please to over there ... yes, here in the direction of Canterlot. Everypony who can’t fly, over here. And everyone who doesn’t want to join us at all, stay here with Spike. It is perfectly fine-”

“What?” Spike protested immediately, as everyone else began to move. “I’m coming with you!”

“No you’re not.”

“I am! Why wouldn’t I?”

“Because you are a baby dragon and I am responsible for you. That includes keeping you safe. Letting you go into an abyss where there are things which will try to kill you isn’t keeping you safe.”

“But-”

“No, Spike!”

The first group now consisted of Rainbow Dash, the five angels, Autumn Wind, and Sigma (who presumably had ways to fly without wings). The second group consisted of Lynn, Gold Star, Spike (who had just walked there despite Twilight’s orders), Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and also-

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow protested. “Come on! Get over here!”

“Uhm-”

... and the third group was empty.

“Alright!” Twilight interrupted, before there could be any more discussion. “Now everyone among this group who thinks she can also carry a second pony, please go a bit to the left – from your perspective – and the others stay where you are. Don’t go too close to the rift.”

Rainbow Dash, Featherfall, Cyclone, and one of the two angels whose name Twilight didn’t know stepped over.

“Four,” Twilight echoed. “Not enough.”

II

“Does anypony have an idea how we can get the rest of us down there safely?”

No-one replied. Twilight bit her lip.

“Sigma. Can we do several runs?”

Sigma said something so quiet that Twilight couldn’t hear it, so she dashed over the pegasus group.

“Come again?”

“Um. Um. I think it would be bad to plan for some of us to wait here and be picked up later. I think it would also be bad if ponies for whom it would be hard carried another pony anyway.”

“Sigma thinks we shouldn’t do multiple runs,” Twilight announced, because now that they weren’t all standing in one group anymore, there was no way everyone had understood her. “She also thinks you shouldn’t volunteer to carry another pony if you aren’t sure you can do it. Uhm, Sigma, if only four of the non-pegasi can come, who do you think it should be?”

“You,” Sigma responded immediately, “the green unicorn, Gold Star, and either-”

“Excuse me,” the third angel interrupted. “I don’t think I am strong enough after all. You said only ponies who are really confident should carry someone. I was an earth pony, so my wings aren’t very strong... I think we should only carry three ponies...”

Twilight gave a nod of approval, and the angel walked back to the other group.

“What about the elements?” Twilight asked Sigma. “If we’re not all there, we won’t be able to use them.”

“Um. I think it is unlikely that the elements would be of help.”

“But we defeated Discord with them!”

“Um. It is very likely that he could have prevented it if he wanted to.”

III

Twilight didn’t reply to that. She had always believed he had been overconfident, but had genuinely been defeated in the end, but there were obvious reasons for why Sigma might be right. And there was no way to find out.

“Sigma thinks only Lynn, Gold Star, and I should come,” she said reluctantly. “Among those who can’t fly. We have limited time, so is everyone okay with that?”

Of course, everyone wasn’t okay with that. Applejack wasn’t okay with it, Rarity wasn’t okay with it, and Spike wasn’t okay with it. There was more discussion, but eventually, the lack of alternatives won out. Spike agreed to stay on the surface, along with Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and-

“Come on, Fluttershy! I’ll carry Twilight, and I’ll fly right next to you. I am even stronger now, remember? Nothing will happen, even if you fall.”

Fluttershy’s gaze was set at her hooves, not looking at Rainbow Dash. Eventually, she nodded.