• Published 23rd Jul 2017
  • 527 Views, 22 Comments

The Rift - Colors



There is a rift on the large crystal sphere that surrounds the known universe.

  • ...
3
 22
 527

#18 Fluttershy

I

“We’re in a crisis,” Twilight Sparkle declared, pacing around in the library room proper. “Rainbow Dash’s maximum flying speed has almost doubled from one day to the next. Applejack told me that she tried to pluck a single apple yesterday, and instead of it falling down from the tree – like apples are supposed to do! – it flew straight upwards, until it was out of sight. We don’t yet know what would happen to the others, and thank Celestia it is not harvesting season... yes, Pinkie?”

“Why is it bad if Dashie can fly faster?”

“Because,” Twilight explained, “we like to things to follow a certain order. I know you don’t appreciate order as much, Pinkie, but if Rainbow Dash can suddenly fly twice as fast, who’s to say that tomorrow, she won’t instead be much slower? If apples fall upwards, who’s to say you don’t suddenly start falling upward rather than downward, the next time you bounce? Does that answer your question? ... okay, great. And yesterday, Lyra’s cousin told me about things that are even more worrisome, though I promised to keep the details a secret.”

“Lyra has a cousin?” Rainbow echoed.

“This is a crisis!” Twilight repeated, ignoring the insertion. “A serious crisis! Don’t treat this as a joke! Our...” She took a deep breath. “... our lives may be at risk.”

A murmur went through the group. Fluttershy shifted around uncomfortably. Nothing weird had happened to her, at least not yet, but what Twilight had said was worrisome.

She hadn’t known about the apple. That was the scariest part. Fluttershy imagined what would happen if gravity suddenly pulled her upwards. Would she have to fly to stay at the earth? Oh, Rainbow Dash would be strong enough to do that, but her...

“I don’t know if this will help,” Twilight said, and Fluttershy looked up to see that she was levitating a chest where she knew the elements of harmony where stored, “but we have to try. I already contacted Celestia, and she sent these to me.”

Knock. Knock.

II

“Um,” Twilight said, “the library has a ‘closed’ sign hanging on the entrance.”

“Maybe somepony didn’t notice?” Fluttershy suggested.

...

Knock. Knock.

Twilight closed the chest she had just opened, putting it out of sight, then she went over to open the door. Fluttershy could see a very pretty mare standing in the entrance: an earth pony with a coat similar to her own, her mane a waterfall of gold, with a few dark strands mixed in.

“I’m sorry, but the library is closed,” Twilight said.

“I know. I need to talk to you.”

“... I’m sorry, but this is a bad time.”

“It’s important!”

“I’m sorry,” Twilight repeated, ”but we’re in the middle of something urgent. You have to come back later.”

“Uhm... in the middle of what?”

Although Fluttershy couldn’t see it, she imagined Twilight having one of her cute frowns.

“That’s ... really none of your business.”

“But... it... it might be that what you’re dealing with is the reason I’m here.”

“Why would you think that?”

“Is... is it about lots of weird stuff happening?”

Slowly, Twilight nodded.

“Can I come in?”

“I’m sorry,” Twilight said for the third time, “but we are in the middle of something. Look, you can come back in... ten minutes. Okay? Just wait here. But don’t eavesdrop!”

“Oh. Okay.”

III

“Come in,” Twilight said, stepping aside to let the yellow mare inside. Their attempts to use the elements had been unsuccessful – admittedly to nopony’s surprise. The elements just didn’t work without a target.

“Oh, hey Gold Star!” Pinkie walked over to welcome her – notably, without bouncing.

“Hello, Pinkie. Uhm, and hello Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and, uhm...”

“Fluttershy,” said Fluttershy.

“Right! Sorry.”

“So,” Twilight said, “what’s going on?”