• Published 5th Jul 2017
  • 1,055 Views, 66 Comments

The Queen of the Royal Guard - AniMun



The Royal Guard was sent to protect Dodge Junction against the changeling threat. There, a pegasus soldier Called Morning Rays finds something that will change his life forever.

  • ...
2
 66
 1,055

Chapter 0 - Arrival At The Borderlands

The train arrived at the Appleloosa station with screeching wheels, raising a cloud of dust and sand around it. The conductor stepped out of the train and proceeded to open the carts doors, dozens upon dozens of soldiers marching . Some were veteran soldiers coming from Canterlot, others were newly assigned recruits but all of them wore their golden armor and carried heavy saddlebags on their backs.

Waiting for them on the station was a beige earth pony mare with brown mane and tail, she had a scar crossing her left eye and wore a much more detailed and complex golden armor. “Attention!” She commanded her soldiers, the troops quickly falling into formation.

“Alright, listen up! My name is General Iron Hoof, I’m the superior officer in charge of this operation. My job is to make sure that each and every one of you are well-equipped, well-trained and well-fed so you can do your jobs well. Screw up and you’ll know why my name is Iron Hoof, you hear me?!” she yelled, stomping her hoof to emphasize her point.

“Yes, ma'am!” Bowed the soldiers in reply, strengthening their posture.

“Good. Squad leaders, step forward!” With this new command, four ponies took a step forward, two unicorns, an earth pony and a pegasus.

“Lieutenant Sharp Spear!” The first unicorn saluted in response. “Your team is in charge of West Appleloosa, report to your posts for further instructions!”

“Yes, ma'am.” He saluted again, acknowledging her orders, he turned to his squad and rallied. “Let’s move out!”

After his soldiers had marched away, General Iron Hoof continued, “Captain Arcane Scroll!” The second unicorn saluted. “Your team is in charge of East Appleloosa, report to your post immediately!”

“Yes, General.” She saluted her leave and gestured for her troops to follow.

“Sergeant Mighty Buck!” This time, the earth pony saluted. “Your team will stay here, in South Appleloosa, go to the barracks and wait for your superior's instructions!”

He saluted and walked away silently, his squad following behind. Now there were only six soldiers remaining, they all wore different armor compared to other squads, and the same could be said about their squad leader.

“Special forces Morning Rays!” The pegasus saluted with his wing, light yellow feathers reflecting as much sunlight as his armor. “Your team is in charge of Dodge Junction City right?” General Iron Hoof asked, checking her papers.

“Yes, ma'am, we were designated to track and find the changeling hive, ma’am!” he replied as his team confirmed his affirmation with a salute.

“Unfortunately, Dodge Junction City doesn’t have the infrastructure necessary to house our barracks so your squad will stay in the east barracks, understood?”

“Yes, General!”

“Dismissed, soldiers.” General Iron Hoof saluted goodbye and began walking away when Morning Rays interrupted her.

“General, may I have a word?”

“What is it?”

“I have a friend in Dodge Junction City that offered me a place to stay, I know it’s a bit far away from operations, but I believe it to be beneficial both to my job as a tracker and for the ponies that live there, in the case of changeling sightings.”

General Iron Hoof pondered for a few seconds, checking her papers, she listed something before returning her attention to Morning Rays. “Okay, I allow you to stay at your friend’s, but I expect you to be here earlier than everypony else you hear me?”

“Yes, ma'am! Thank you ma’am!” he saluted again, holding the position until she went off to continue her work.

“Lucky guy, you get to sleep in a comfy bed while we have to stay in the barracks.” A mocking voice teased him. Turning to his team, all his teammates spied him with cheeky smiles. Knowing what was about to happen, he braced himself to the teasing.

“And who your generous friend might be, captain?” a gray unicorn with light blue mane asked sarcastically. His name was Grey Shade, he was the trapper of the squad.

“Is it that damsel in distress you saved a couple of months back from the changelings?” asked a light blue earth pony with darker blue mane, fluttering his eyes mockingly. He was the squad’s hunter by the name of Blue Sea.

“Yeah! How was her name again? Berry Lee?” This time it was Lilie, a white and yellow pegasus mare, the squad’s scout.

“Yes, it is her, and her name is Cherry Jubilee. Believe me, she’s not a damsel in distress…” Morning Rays replied, finally having the chance to defend himself.

A pink unicorn with red mane interrupted her squadmates before they could continue their teasing for all eternity. “Either way when you finish moving, why don’t you scout the area we’re supposed to work? It would be a lot easier for me to search for any magic traces if I don’t have to worry about my surroundings.” She was the magic tracer of the squad, Path Finder.

“I planned on doing that. Well, I gotta catch the train, see you tomorrow team,” Morning said when he heard the train’s whistling, signaling its approaching departure.

“Bye captain!” his team collectively said among some more teasing.


A few minutes by train was all that was needed for Morning to reach his new home, Dodge Junction City. It was similar to Appleloosa but much smaller, the city was mostly composed of wood houses and farms, with few shops to supply the basic necessities of its citizens.

There, waiting enthusiastically for his arrival was a beige mare with red mane and tail, she had beautiful green eyes and a charming countryside style.

As Morning Rays stepped out of his cart he quickly found who he was looking for, he walked up to her, gave her a bow of courtesy and said, “Thank you for providing me a place to stay here Miss Jubilee, I’m sure it’ll help me a lot.”

The mare smiled and gave him a snicker, “Hey now, after all the help you gave me, you sure earned it dear, also, please drop all that formality, you can call me Cherry.”

“Hum, yes Miss Cherry.” He bowed again.

Cherry rolled her eyes, accepting that it would be the most casual way Morning would call her. She gestured for him to follow. “Well, come on now, Ah’ll show you where you’re staying.”

Following her, Morning was led through the commercial center of Dodge Junction City, a single street filled with general stores, saloons, a bank, a clinic and a small school at the end of the street. Walking by, Morning noticed that even though the town was small, it was bursting with life. Fillies and colts rushed to the school, eager for a new day of discovery and learning, ponies walked from store to store buying all the fresh vegetables and berries that the city was famous for growing.

At the end of the street began the residential area, even more ponies could be seen going to their daily routines, Morning took notice that most of the ponies around here were earth ponies. ‘Looks like the earth pony lineage and traditions live strongly here.’ He thought.

Passing the more modest residential area, huge farms could be seen stretching over the horizon. Oranges, strawberries, pineapples, carrots, cucumbers, all farms had acres and acres of fresh and delicious food that provided for most of Equestria’s needs. At the end of the road stood the biggest farm yet, cherries.

The property went farther than eyes can see, trees with red and yellow cherries beautified the gardens with intricate, almost mesmerizing, patterns..

Miss Cherry beckoned him inside, as they passed around her workers, she greeted and complimented every single one of them, so they worked hard and happy in return.

She opened the huge doors that led to the parlor. The two storey house had pristine white walls with red curtains and golden decor, making it the most elegant residence Rays has ever seen, it was almost like a countryside palace!

Miss Cherry led him to her office, offering him something to drink to which he asked for water. She poured him a glass and asked, “Well… Ah know we discussed this before but, are you sure you don’t prefer to stay here? Ah have lots of vacant guest rooms you could use.”

It was a tempting offer, but still, not what Rays needed. “I’m sorry Miss Cherry, but I would like to stay in the worker’s house you mentioned. He retired recently, right?”

“Ah, yes. He was loyal and hardworkin' as it gets, but now he deserves a rest…” She sighed, reminiscing her old friend. “Well, if you’re sure about that. Miss Spring Flower?” She called her secretary, a pink coated unicorn mare with white mane wearing a pink and yellow flower adornment on her tail rushed to her side.

She entered the office through a door on the left that Rays didn’t notice before, apparently, that led to a library. “Yes, Miss Jubilee?”

“Would you kindly lead Captain Rays here to his new house at worker’s house N° 34?”

“Yes, of course! Follow me please.” She bowed.

Spring Flower led Rays through Miss Jubilee’s property, crossing the lines upon lines of cherry trees that extended as far as the eye could see, at the end of the orchard they’ve reached the worker’s residential area. It was at the far end of the property, almost its borders.

House N° 34, the farthest house. It was a simple house with red wooden walls and yellow roof. Morning Rays was born and raised in Canterlot where all buildings were made of stone or concrete. It was a different, but a welcome experience for him..

“Here are they keys,” Spring Flower said, grabbing his attention.

He got the keys with his wings and thanked her, waiting politely for her to leave the neighborhood so he could explore the house.

The house was charming, comfy and completely furnished, the only thing missing was some personal decor, which he brought a few. The kitchen had enough room for two ponies to walk comfortably. The living room had a comfy looking sofa next to the chimney so he could warm himself once winter arrived. The bathroom had a really big tub, if it was anything bigger it could be called a jacuzzi. The bedroom wasn’t as spacious as he expected, but it was good enough, a double sized bed and bedside table furnishing it, it even had a small retractable stair to the attic. All in all, a pretty cool house, and the best thing was that from the living room, he could clearly see the borders between Dodge Junction City and the Badlands.

Morning quickly returned to his room to unpack. He only brought a few essentials, some clothes, his personal hygiene products and polishing oil for his armor were stored in his cabinet. Grabbing the last items with utmost care, he pushed his saddlebag to the side and proceded to the bedside table. A golden photo frame with shiny pink letters spelling 'Family" on top of a heart containing the picture of a white pegasus mare with blue eyes and yellow mane hugging a smiling pegasus filly with an orange coat, red mane, and emerald eyes.

Smiling, Morning placed the photo on the table, and in front of it, he placed a single, small white tipped orange feather. Now that everything was in its proper place, Morning stretched his wings and gazed upon the horizon. It was time to scout the area.

Author's Note:

Hello, everybody!

I hope you like my offering of entertainment! It's only the beginning!

I hope you liked it!

Please let me know of anything you think I should improve in, so I can make better stories for your enjoyment!

bye! :yay:

-T.M.W.D.:trollestia:

Chapter edited by: EverfreePony