• Published 1st Jul 2017
  • 1,488 Views, 28 Comments

Return to Harmony - The Hero of Harmony



The Tree of Harmony is one of the most mysterious things that exist in Equestria. How long has it existed, why has it existed, and most importantly: Is it aware?

  • ...
1
 28
 1,488

Harmony Reborn

The Tree of Harmony.

A magic-infused tree located in the Everfree Forest that housed the Elements of Harmony, until Princess Celestia and Luna wielded the Elements the first time to take on Discord 1000 years ago and brought peace back to Equestria. There the Elements remained with the royal sisters, as Celestia stated that even without the Elements, the tree gave off powerful magic that would maintain all they grew in the Everfree.

It remained that way until the day Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, and Celestia was forced to use the Elements on her own sister and banished her to the moon for 1000 years and thus, the Elements of Harmony went dormant as the connection with Celestia and Luna were severed.

Even then, the Tree remained strong. However, it would not last as centuries later, the Tree nearly died.

Plundervines, magic draining plants created by Discord during his first reign over Equestria, were able to breach the protected Tree and started to drain the ancient tree of all its magic. The Tree was unable to maintain the Everfree and thus, the forest came to life as it were and began to slowly spread through the southern region of Canterlot, taking the two princesses and causing both day and night to occur at the same time.

Ponies panic, but because Princess Cadence was in the Crystal Empire and needed to remain to keep order, it was up to Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle to take over as enacting ruler and try to keep the peace and figure out the issue.

With the help of Zecora, Twilight was able to see the events of the past: from the day Luna transformed into Nightmare Moon and witnessed her banishment by the Elements, to the two sisters discovering the Tree of Harmony and the Elements that originated from it.

With the new knowledge, the Bearers of the Elements took the Elements once more and went to search for the Tree and upon finding it, saw that it looked sickly and nearly drained of all it's magic. The girls make the sacrifice of relinquishing the Elements back to the Tree, thus restoring it to its full power and destroyed the plundervines and calmed the forest.

It then gifts Twilight and her friends a mysterious chest with six locks that required six keys to open. A new journey for the six ponies of harmony laid before them, to solve the mysteries of the chest the Tree bestowed upon them and unlock it's contents.

The keys came into existence once the six solved a friendship problem that related to their elemental virtue and thus, a test for each of them. Twilight was able to gain her key after Lord Tirek drained all of Discord's magic and the spirit gave Twilight the amulet that Tirek gave him after thinking it was a sign of their partnership.

The six keys unlock the Chest of Harmony, and bestowed the six ponies Rainbow Power, and together defeated Tirek and restored the magic that all the ponies lost from Tirek. It also gifted Twilight the Castle of Friendship, in which it took root within Ponyville, being the start of Twilight's own kingdom and being named the Princess of Friendship.

A couple years pass, after taking on a new student herself in the form of a unicorn named Starlight Glimmer, and returning from the Crystal Empire to meet her new newborn niece, Flurry Heart, and helping rescue the Empire when the Crystal Heart was shattered because of the crying infant alongside Starlight and a resident unicorn and Starlight's old friend from childhood, Sunburst, Twilight's mind wandered back to the Tree of Harmony. She didn't know why, but one thing seemed to dwell on her mind after all this time.

Where did the tree come from? And why does it exist?

For the past few days, the princess was searching through most of the books in her library, which were mostly given to her by Celestia from the Canterlot Library after the Golden Oaks Library was destroyed by Tirek and lost all the books within, she was searching all she could in regards to the Tree itself, its origins, and the like but even with all the books she received from Celestia, she could find nothing. Even when she was trying to learn about the Chest when the Tree first gifted it to the girls, none of the books in Ponyville had any information on it.

Twilight lets out a frustrated groan.

"Ugh! I don't get it, how can there be nothing in regards to the Tree of Harmony or this chest? It has been around for Celestia knows how long, and nopony else ever seen it aside from the Princesses?" Twilight groaned as she looked through book after book, clearly tired and riled up.

Spike, picking up the books that were scattered on the floor after Twilight was done looking through them most them, just gave her concerned look.

"Come on Twilight. You've been at it since we got back from the Crystal Empire. Can't you take a break for awhile?"

Twilight just kept pacing around in thought, but she did acknowledge him.

"I know Spike, but this is a big deal! We never knew about the origins of the Elements of Harmony until after the plundervines attacked from the Everfree Forest, and even about the existence of a Tree that housed the Elements. There has to be some sort of book or research journal on this Tree. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna could not have been the only ones to have seen the Tree, since Discord knew of its existence. Otherwise he wouldn't have planted those plunderseeds to drain the Tree of its magic in the first place. Even with all the books the Princess sent me, there isn't a single piece of info I can use!"

Spike sighed.

"Well, if you really want to try to look into this further, maybe the Old Castle in the Everfree Forest might have stuff on the Tree. After all, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna did live there and the Tree was nearby it."

Twilight's ears perked up upon hearing Spike's suggestion, and then grinned brightly.

"Of course! The Princesses might've left some journals behind there after Celestia moved from there and established her new castle in Canterlot."

Twilight was rushing toward the door, but Spike stopped her.

"Wait a minute, Twilight! Perhaps we could go tomorrow? I mean, it is getting late out, and it would be dangerous to go through the Everfree at night. Besides, you look beat from running around here reading non-stop." Spike explained.

"He's right, you know?" A voice echoed out.

The two look and see Starlight enter the library, looking around the mess her mentor has made in her research.

"I know you are very interested in looking through this Twilight, but Spike has a point. You really should stop for a bit and relax. It isn't like you are under any deadline or anything so you have all the time in the world to look into the Tree of Harmony. Besides, you kind of need some sleep." Starlight said with a soft grin.

Twilight frowned, but they did have a point. She knew the castle wasn't going anywhere, and it was already late outside. She turned to look at the baby dragon and her student and nods.

"You're right. I guess I got to wrapped up in all this, and forgot about looking out for my own health." She smiled sweetly.

"Thanks for reminding me." She added.

The two just grinned back and nods and helped her put all the books back in their places, which didn't take too long since the three of them were at it.

Shortly after, the three decided to call it a night, wanting to try again tomorrow by going to the Old Castle in the Everfree to search for more information.


Everfree Forest
Later that night...


All was quiet in the Everfree Forest, especially in the cave that houses the crystalline tree that is the Tree of Harmony and the six Elements of Harmony.

Tonight however would be different, however. It was natural that the Tree would be giving off magic, strong magic thanks in part with the Elements, but now that strength just keeps increasing to the point the Tree's quiet glow began to get brighter and brighter. The Elements suddenly detach themselves off the Tree and began to surround it. They shot beams of magic right at the center of the Tree which only made it into a blinding light.

After that, it unleashed a large burst of magic that erupted from the cave.


Castle of Friendship, Ponyville


Twilight was fast asleep, having a peaceful slumber until she suddenly opened her eyes and jerked up from her bed.

"...Huh? What's this... Powerful flux of magic coming from...?"

She looked out her window, and realized that source was coming from the Everfree Forest. She then put two and two together.

"The Tree...!" Twilight shouted.

With that, Twilight jumped out of her bed and rushed out her door and down the corridor of the large castle. She was galloping so fast, she failed to notice Starlight who jumped out of the way, seeing her mentor run past her, shocked.

"Twilight? Wait, where are you going?!" Starlight yelled.

"Ugh... what is with all the yelling...?" Spike asked, as he comes out of his room, groggy.

"Twilight just ran right past me in a rush. I wanted to tell her I felt a strong magical flux go off somewhere and wanted to tell her, but I think she already knows..." Starlight said.

"Well, where is it coming from then?" Spike asked, now more awake upon hearing Twilight just leaving without warning.

The two then head to look out toward one of the windows, seeing a glow coming from the Everfree Forest. Spike then freaks out.

"The Everfree Forest?! We have to go wake the girls up and go after her!" Spike said as he grabs Starlight's head, staring into her eyes freaked.

"Spike! Relax!" Starlight replied by setting the baby dragon down.

"Let's split up, go wake up the girls and meet at the entrance to the forest, alright?"

Spike nods and the two immediately head out.


Everfree Forest


Twilight was galloping as fast as she could go, still not attuned to flying yet, though she did manage to glide to the entrance of the Everfree Forest and just went on hooves from there. As she continued galloping, she realized that the forest was still dead quiet, despite the fact the magic she sensed was getting stronger as she got close to the Old Castle. She stopped at the steps that led down into the ravine across the Old Castle, catching her breath. She looked around, not seeing any malicious creatures or whatever lurked in the forest.

She looked down toward the cave, and notice that bright glow coming from it. She made her way down, readying herself, not knowing what she would face. She slowly trots into the cave, looking around, making sure nothing jumped out at her.

She eventually approached the spot where the Tree of Harmony stood, but what she saw there shocked her.

The Tree of Harmony was no longer there. Instead, Twilight was greeted by something she never expected: a tall, majestic looking unicorn which hovered above the stump where the tree stood, her eyes closed. The Elements were still circling around the unicorn, and began to move toward the mysterious unicorn's head, which then all converged into a light, that formed into a crown.

It resembled the Element of Magic when Twilight harnessed it, but this time it had five colored hexagonal gemstones embedded along the crown, while the Element of Magic remained the same. She noted they were in the form of the Elements back when Celestia and Luna harnessed them.

Soon the unicorn lands gently on the stump as the glow around her begins to fade. Twilight just stood in awe and in silence at the unicorn, whom opened her eyes. They were a gentle cyan blue and very calming.

She was standing at a height almost as tall as Celestia, having a whiteish lavender coat, her hooves have violet fur around them and being cloven instead of normal hooves she was used to seeing. She had a cutie mark, which had a white starburst inside a light purple one with the points jagged, much like the center of the Tree of Harmony with Twilight's cutie mark in the center of it.

Her mane and tail were done in a very unique style, having small flowers that braided in her mane and tail, her mane tied into what looked like a bun with the strands of mane spiked out with small little balls that hung out on the tips of her mane, much like the Tree of Harmony had on its branches.

Her horn was unlike any other, being in the shape of what looked like a tree branch, much like the ones at the top of the Tree.

The unicorn looks down at Twilight, their eyes meeting. Slowly, she approached the young alicorn, with Twilight slowly backing away, speechless. She regards Twilight with a soft smile, as she lowers her head down to her level, staring at her with her cool, serene blue eyes. The words she spoke were few, but she spoke softly as to not further startle the princess, despite the young mare being flustered by this unicorn's appearance.

"Hello little one..."

Author's Note:

Hello, this is The Hero of Harmony here, and yes I am back with another story.

This one has been on my mind for awhile now, and after seeing this beautiful character, I just wanted to see a fanfic made about her. I even created a tumblr RP blog for her, with permission from the original creator.

How far will this go, I have yet to see, though it won't be a long story I can tell you now.

Art credits go to Heilos. You should check her out on deviantArt or on tumblr, she is a very talented artist, and is the creator of Harmony.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this first snippet of a short story! Later!