• Published 1st Jul 2017
  • 1,489 Views, 28 Comments

Return to Harmony - The Hero of Harmony



The Tree of Harmony is one of the most mysterious things that exist in Equestria. How long has it existed, why has it existed, and most importantly: Is it aware?

  • ...
1
 28
 1,489

Unspoken Tale


The Cave of Harmony, Everfree Forest


"YOU'RE THE WHAT!?" The group, sans Twilight and, strangely, Pinkie Pie, shouted in unison and in disbelief.

Pinkie, being Pinkie Pie, then jumps in.

"Hold on a second!" She yelled out, grinning softly as she pulls a glass a water from nowhere, takes a drink, and suddenly does a spit-take.

"WHAT?!" Pinkie yelled out in disbelief.

Harmony, who was calm during their outburst, nodded.

"It is true. It is because of you six ponies, that I was able to manifest into this body you see now."

"So you mean to say you've always were... Aware of what was going on around you, all this time?" Twilight asked.

Harmony nods, "That is correct, dear Twilight. Even though I was in the form of a crystal tree, acting as the very thing that kept balance to the Everfree Forest, I had a level of sentience. It is why I gifted you the Chest of Harmony after you made the sacrifice to give up the Elements to save me a couple years ago. I had to test you in the fundamentals of each of the virtues you six represented and how each of your Elements related to the friendship problem you solved. And for your endeavors, especially against Tirek, you were bestowed the Rainbow Power: a type of magic that was formed from part of my very essence of harmonic magic."

"So, how is it that our friendship was enough to actually... Do this to you, Harmony? I mean, Princess Celestia and Luna wielded the Elements in the past and surely they could've been enough to make you what you are now." Twilight added.

"Well, it is true that Celestia and Luna both wielded the Elements. You see, this stems back further than you think. It wasn't the first time the two found me with the Elements. So, gather around my little ponies, for I have a small tale to tell...~"

"Oooooh!~ Storytime!~" Pinkie squeaked in delight as she pulled a lawn chair and some popcorn out of her mane and began munching on it.

The group just giggled as they all sat down before Harmony as she also lays down, smiling softly as she clears her throat.

"This tale isn't known by many ponies, however the only two who would recall this event was Celestia and Luna. It during the coronation of the two that they were approached by Wise Old Star Swirl the Bearded, and his three representatives: Private Pansy of the Pegasi, Smart Cookie of the Earth ponies, and Clover the Clever of the unicorns. Star Swirl figured that harmony between the three tribes could be balanced if Alicorns would act as the ones to rule over the three pony tribes. Needless to say, young Lulu and Tia were anxious with the position they were given, even though they didn't earn their cutie marks yet at that age, but regardless the ceremony went off without problems."

"Shortly after the coronation, the two were scouring across Equestria, trying to find a place to build their castle. It was then that Star Swirl suggested that the two come here, to the Everfree Forest and it was here the two discovered me in this very ravine."

Twilight perked up at this information.

"They found you long before they used the Elements of Harmony to seal Discord into stone?" Twilight asked.

Harmony nods.

"Oh yes. Old Star Swirl knew of my existence and realized that the two would be drawn to my magic, which is why they built their castle close by. They knew I was of importance, however, they were unaware of my sentience and knew I was watching them. My magic back then, while powerful, wasn't as strong as it is now, so I wasn't able to communicate through telepathy. Though,I had a feeling that Old Star Swirl knew of my sentience and knew I was a living entity."

Harmony thought before shaking her head.

"Forgive me, I am getting off topic. So as I was saying..."

She continued talking about the two Princesses, and their involvement with the other kingdoms at the time. They laughed when they learned the kind of prankster Princess Luna was, when she wanted to get back at Princess Platinum for calling both her and Celestia 'blank flanks' with the help of a manticore named Melvin that was subdued by Celestia and Star Swirl, who then apologizes after taking it too far and the two princesses became friends and accepted Celestia and Luna as rulers. Pinkie and Rainbow Dash laughed, never knew Luna was big prankster back then, and Fluttershy thought it was rather sweet and adorable the future Princess of the Night made friends with a manticore.

Rarity never knew how similar Princess Platinum was to her, and not just because she played her during the Hearth's Warming Play in Canterlot the previous year: She had the same sense of fashion and interior decorator as the fashionista,
Making the Equestrian flag and the banners that are in the Old Castle just above the cave.

Twilight was intrigued to the fact that Celestia and Star Swirl were close friends because of their love for knowledge and reading books.

"Yes, it was with Celestia's help that Star Swirl learned the two spells he was striving for: a cutie mark spell and a time-traveling spell that allowed him to travel through space and time without limitations.

Twilight's eyes widen, when Harmony mentioned those two spells. The time-travel spell was the spell Starlight used before she was reformed and tried to prevent Twilight and her friends from witnessing the Sonic Rainboom that Rainbow Dash performed when she was a filly by keeping Rainbow from doing it in the first place, and ended up going through several alternate timelines just to stop her.

The cutie mark spell was the spell that Princess Celestia wanted her to finish, but ended up changing the cutie marks of her friends as it effected the Elements of Harmony themselves, but after fixing her mistake by helping her friends see what their true destiny was, she was able to finish the spell, and in turn, earned her the wings and ascended to an alicorn.

"Now, as you may be aware, Old Star Swirl became a teacher to young Celestia and Luna, acting as their royal adviser. He taught Luna how to move the stars when the young filly was mesmerized with the night sky, namely the moon. He also perfected his time-travel spell, allowing him to travel to different points in Equestria's history, being subtle enough to not reveal events that will occur in the future, but Celestia had a feeling that with his reaction, the sun, moon, and star markings on me were important."

She goes further, detailing the events of the Crystal Empire and the meeting of Princess Amore, and how a dragon stole the Crystal Heart since it was found in the Crystalline Mountains, where the heart was first found and the dragon's lair was in those mountains, claiming everything in that cave was his, including the heart. Celestia was enraged, so much she bursts into flames and going into using the Royal Canterlot Voice, which scared the dragon enough to drop the heart and flee back to its lair, and thus saving the Crystal Empire and celebrate the first Crystal Faire. And then she describes how Luna and Celestia finally earned their Cutie Marks after the unicorns, including Star Swirl, lost their magic because they tried to lower the moon for the sun to rise. Luna was able to lower the moon while Celestia raised the sun, seeing as they were alicorns and their magic would just be restored after raising and lowering the celestial bodies. They were able to restore the unicorns and Star Swirl's magic thanks to the power of the sun and moon strengthening their magic.

"The sister's were overjoyed to finally received their cutie marks, Celestia noting how their marks resembled the markings on my Tree form. However, after they earned their cutie marks, the two were just excited to see what the future held for them as rulers of Equestria."

Harmony closed her eyes and sighed contently.

"And that, my little ones, is the untold tale I wanted to share.~

Pinkie claps her hooves enthusiastically.

"YAAAAY! THAT WAS A FUN STORY!!~ Can you tell another one?" Pinkie asked, with a bright grin.

Harmony giggles.

"Oh I have a lot of tales I can share my little Bearer of Laughter, however I think for now, you should all be returning home for the evening. It is pretty late and surely you are all tired from this excitement, hmm?~"

The group yawned.

"She's right y'all. With all this excitement, forgot it was still middle of the night. I need to get home for some shut eye, a lot of trees need to be bucked." Applejack stretched, getting up.

"Oh I agree, we are young ladies that need their beauty sleep. I must head home for I have several orders that I need to get started on in the morning." Rarity added.

"You said it...!" Rainbow Dash said, stretching her wings out.

"Um... It was nice to meet you miss Harmony." Fluttershy said softly, giving a soft smile.

"Yeah! I totally need to throw you a Welcome and Congratulations for Becoming Alive Party! But first, BACK TO BED!~" Pinkie shouted as she started to hop off out of the cave.

"Pinkie! Wait for us, we can all walk back to the entrance together!" Twilight yelled out for Pinkie Pie.

"How about... I accompany you all to the entrance of the forest? It will give me a chance to... stretch my hooves
out, and see everything outside of my little cave.~ Harmony asked as she got up.

The group all nod. They knew they would probably feel safer with Harmony with them.

"Yeah, that would be nice, Harmony." Twilight said.

Harmony smiled.

"Well then, my little ponies... Shall we?~


The Everfree Forest


The group began their trek back to the forest entrance, as Harmony walked before the group, quietly humming to herself as she looks to the forest.

"It does feel nice... To see Luna's night sky for the first time in my life... It's beautiful..." Harmony said softly.

"Oh yes, Princess Luna's night sky is always a joy to see. Especially when each night looks different, and if there is a meteor shower!" Twilight beamed.

"I suppose it will be a good time to explore the rest of this forest... I know I can help maintain it better now that I can move about freely here."

Eventually they all made it to the entrance of the forest. Harmony stops at the very edge as the group walk out.

"And this is where we must part ways for now, little ones. I really enjoyed meeting you, and talking to you all. I look forward to seeing you again.~ Harmony bows her head down.

"Well we'll come visit again soon! I still need to throw you your welcome party!~" Pinkie said in glee.

"Yeah, and I have to bring you some fine apple-made products from the Sweet Apple Acres. I know you will enjoy them, Harmony." Applejack added.

"Just meeting you, dear, gives me some new ideas for some dresses. I never got a chance to say this, but you are just absolutely GORGEOUS, darling. I must make a dress for you one day, Harmony!" Rarity squealed.

Seeing the Tree of Harmony as a pony of this majesty, it gives her some new ideas for designing some dresses revolving around Harmony's style and appearance.

"Oh yes... And I just have to introduce you to some of my animal friends. I'm sure they will feeling very comfortable around you, miss Harmony.~" Fluttershy said in a gentle, excited tone.

"I just want to be able to show you some of my neat stunts and tricks! I mean, considering you are up and walking around now, surely you would be curious as to see how an awesome pony like me can be the talk of Ponyville!" Rainbow boasted, as the girls just rolled their eyes and shook their heads.

"Yes, it was a very interesting evening to say the least. I still have so many questions I want to ask you too, and maybe I can bring some books from the library and I can show you some of my favorites!" Twilight beamed.

Harmony giggles.

"I am glad to have chosen you as my Bearers... You all represent your Element to the mark, and it just feels me with joy inside. So, I would enjoy seeing each of you again. I may be an old magical tree that is the very essence of harmony and order, but I would love to see what the world has to offer. Even if I am bound to this forest, as I need to maintain the balance here and me setting foot outside of it could be rather... Troublesome, do not be afraid to come back. The creatures that dwell here would be at ease around my presence, so you shouldn't worry about any danger as long as I roam the forest.~"

"For now, I bid you all a good night my little ponies.~

Harmony waves as she slowly turns around and began trotting back into the Everfree, her humming could be heard echoing throughout the forest.

The rest of the group all bid each other good night and returned to their respectable homes for the night. Twilight, Spike who was asleep already, and Starlight returned to the castle. Twilight and Starlight bid each other good night and head to their rooms. Twilight carries Spike into his bedroom and tucks him into bed, and gives him a gentle nuzzle out of instinct, before retiring to her room.

Twilight chuckles.

"I can't believe all that happened tonight... I have so many questions and answers I want to hear from Harmony." Twilight said to herself as she got into bed.

"...I better send a letter to the princesses tomorrow. They have to know about this, if they haven't felt the magic flux already..."

Soon after, the alicorn drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

Author's Note:

So yeah, here be Chapter 3.

I figured why not make mention of The Journal of the Two Sisters in this chapter as Harmony tells the story about Celestia and Luna's past?

This one really took some thought XD Though of course, the next chapter has Tia and Lulu being told about Harmony and going to meet her themselves.

Look forward to it. Until then, later!