• Published 27th Jun 2017
  • 1,733 Views, 141 Comments

Until Fairer Skies Beckon - totallynotabrony



Rainbow is kidnapped and forced into a mercenary air force in an African civil war.

  • ...
6
 141
 1,733

Chapter 15

The knock on the door that had awakened the pilots in the middle of the night couldn’t have been random. Someone had left them a map and code phrases and wanted them to know.

After the revelation with the gifts, Pantera opened the door and looked out. Rainbow wasn’t sure what she was expecting to see. Whoever had knocked was long gone, otherwise why wouldn’t they have introduced themselves?

Pantera closed the door again and turned to face the group. Keeping her voice down, she said, “Where could this have come from?”

No one had a very good answer. Rainbow knew who she wanted to have her back, but had no proof.

“We have to turn this in,” said Kiel, whispering, but everyone heard.

“Are you kidding?!” responded Rainbow, barely able to keep her voice in check.

“If they find this,” said Kiel. He looked around at all of them, meeting their eyes. “Or if someone tells them we have it - we’re all dead.”

Rainbow fought it through her head, but reluctantly realized he was right. The eight of them could stand together, but if only one of them wished for the reward of turning in deserters, they would all go down.

“But we could go tonight, right now!” protested Sky, not keeping his voice down.

“Unless this is a trap,” Pantera pointed out.

There was that possibility, too. But...Rainbow was suddenly unwilling to believe that. Why would the UTA give them a map? They might have been confident in their ability to catch deserters lured to escape by the promise of outside help, but still, why take the chance in allowing them to see the map?

She perched on a knife edge. Should she say something?

“I don’t think it’s a trap,” said Lightning.

“I do,” said Pug.

Kiel looked around. “Shall we vote? All in favor of turning this in.”

Kiel, Pantera, Pug, and Striker raised their hands.

“And in favor of escaping?”

Lightning and Sky raised their hands. Seeing Sky, Vapor raised hers.

Rainbow didn’t vote. But even if she had, the score would only be tied. That was too much division. They needed to work together, as a whole unit, as friends.

There was silence after the vote. Pantera broke it. “Well, let’s go.”

Even if most had voted to hand over the map and codes, all of them still dawdled as long as possible while putting on clothes and shoes. Everyone wanted to take a good long look, to mourn what they were losing...or to memorize it.

The group trooped out of the bunkhouse into the night. Surprising them all, they actually made it to the headquarters building without being intercepted by a roving patrol. Pantera knocked on the door. The slit opened and eyes peered out.

“We have escape materials to turn in,” Pantera said.

“What are you talking about?” It sounded like Clash’s voice.

Rainbow knew then. The UTA had not planted the map and codes. It was no trap. Friendly forces wanted them to escape, and they had just thrown it away.

The faces around her appeared to realize it, too. But now, there was no taking it back.

The door opened. Armed soldiers came out, surrounding them. Pantera explained what had happened, her voice sounding like she was a child explaining a misdeed to a parent.

At least they didn’t receive any punishment. Clash took the things from them and told them to leave.

Rainbow spared a glance through the open door into the building, but saw nothing of value. Of course they wouldn’t keep anything valuable like maps within sight. And now, the map they’d had was gone, too.

The pilots walked back to the bunkhouse in silence. Rainbow glanced around. Everyone wore various expressions. Regret. Worry. Anger.

Sky was the most obviously exasperated in the group. Rainbow hung back to where he was walking with Vapor. She said quietly, “Don’t do anything stupid.”

He threw a look at her. “Have you ever tried to escape?”

She threw it right back. “Yes. And it didn’t work because I wasn’t prepared. I didn’t have a plan. I didn’t have enough help.”

“Do you want us to just rot in here, waiting around?”

He had a point. And Rainbow knew there was no answer that would satisfy him. None that would really satisfy her, either, now that she thought about it.

Vapor looked worriedly between Sky and Rainbow. “Could we...make a plan?”

“Be careful who you say that to,” said Rainbow. “Selling out deserters gets people a mission off of their count.”

“So who are we supposed to trust?” said Sky.

Rainbow wanted to say, “trust me.” But could she, without sounding like a hypocrite? She hadn’t stood with Sky on the vote to escape.

“Talk to me,” said Rainbow. That was as good as she could do. For now, anyway.


The next morning, before strapping in for a mission, Rainbow went to find Soarin’. He listened to her description of the items found in the bunkhouse. She told him her theories on how it had gotten there.

“It sounds like an evasion chart and search and rescue information,” he said. “But if someone was able to get into base to leave it, why not just pull you out then and there?”

It was a good question, and now that it had been asked, Rainbow felt somewhat slighted. Who was badass enough to sneak onto a UTA base but not willing or able to make a rescue?

Though it didn’t make much sense, maybe whoever it was wanted them to help themselves. Could it be a double agent working inside the UTA? Her mind raced at the possibility that there was someone on base hiding in plain sight that could help. Whatever the case, Rainbow tried to keep the information the gifts provided fresh in her mind.

The map, what Rainbow had remembered of it, might have indicated the location of Manatada air base, and she mentally kicked herself for not searching for it before the map was gone. She had glanced at the coordinates listed on the card that had appeared with the map. Roughly, she knew it was on the eastern border of Talongo, on the shore of Lake Tanganyika, which bordered several countries. Was it a safe haven? A pickup point? Was anyone waiting there now?

She figured that if pressed, the others could probably give her a better idea of where the base was located, which would allow her to determine how far to the location of the coordinates. However, no matter the distance, she was skeptical if the UTA would ever allow the planes to be loaded with enough fuel to get there.

Rainbow considered it as Jubi the inherited mechanic helped her into her g-suit. The suit was uncomfortable, not the least because it was sized to fit Angels.

She strapped in and did a radio check with the others. It was the first flight for Sky and Vapor. It was fortunate that the UTA practiced relaxed radio comms, or she wasn’t confident that the two of them could remember what they learned in flight school.

Rainbow frowned. What had the others thought about her, when she first arrived? She’d proven her abilities now, but someone needed to give Sky and Vapor the benefit of the doubt. As a friend would.

The group of them got airborne and formed up. They had to stay slow for Vapor’s benefit in the Tucano. Rainbow looked around, since she had time. It was a nice day, with clouds thinly scattered below. She made a mental note to look outside as often as possible. Who knew, maybe she would see something interesting.

That, or maybe see something before it saw her.

Rainbow let her eyes move, brain turning inward for a moment. The mysterious map was still at the forefront of her mind.

She looked out at the planes around her, and then, with some deliberation, reached for the radio controls. There had been a couple of frequencies listed on the laminated card with the map. Rainbow was no scholar, but she had a knack for remembering things related to flying. She tried one of the freqs that her radio could reach.

There was silence. Rainbow listened, knowing she didn’t have much time before they reached the mission area or somebody tried to contact her on the UTA frequency.

Nothing appeared to be happening on this channel. Rainbow tried, “Hello?”

Silence. But after a few seconds, a voice replied, “What is your business?”

Rainbow’s pulse quickened. The replying voice might have been female, but beyond that not much could be discerned through the radio static. It was definitely a long range contact. Could it be coming all the way from the rescue coordinates?

Rainbow said the first thing on her mind. “I’ve been kidnapped.”

More silence before the reply. “Unless you have a reason to be on this frequency, leave it alone.”

“But I need help!”

“Don’t we all. This channel needs to remain clear. Don’t use it again.”

“Are you even listening to me?!” Rainbow shouted.

Music started to play, but Rainbow shouted above it. “Wait! I’m an American citizen, my name is Rainbow Dash, I was kidnapped from college three weeks ago!”

The volume only increased, effectively drowning any conversation on the channel. It sounded like Creedence Clearwater Revival. Rainbow had no idea if her message had gotten through.

“Hello?” Rainbow tried.

There was no reply.

She slammed her hand on the MiG’s instrument panel in frustration. It was made to Soviet specifications and was unharmed.

Who could have left the map? Why didn’t they want her on this frequency? It didn’t make any sense to Rainbow. From the radio instruction she’d received as part of flight school, identifying yourself was standard. If she’d been flying a legitimate plane, she’d have given her number. The other station hadn’t said who they were, and did not ask who she was. In fact, they’d seemed to actively oppose her telling. The music was still playing.

Rainbow frowned. Why would they provide that frequency but then not want her to say anything?