• Published 27th Jun 2017
  • 1,733 Views, 141 Comments

Until Fairer Skies Beckon - totallynotabrony



Rainbow is kidnapped and forced into a mercenary air force in an African civil war.

  • ...
6
 141
 1,733

Chapter 29

Rainbow found herself once again sitting under the Cessna’s wing. She was tuned out, as usual trying to plot her way to freedom for herself and the others.

A not-unimportant part of that was figuring out what Soarin’ did with the AK-47’s. Rainbow couldn’t search for them while Wind Rider was there. She didn’t know if they were still in the plane, though she doubted they were.

If opportunity came knocking, she had to be prepared to depart at any moment. There had been moments, of course. She’d passed them by, trying to find a better chance when everyone could go. That was proving remarkably difficult. She’d already lost Angels, Stratus, Vapor, and Sky. If she didn’t act soon, Pantera would be gone.

But what if she couldn’t save everyone?

Rainbow didn’t know if fate was a thing. What if someone simply wasn’t to be saved - whether they didn’t deserve to be, or here was simply where they were fated to die?

No, she decided. Fate was stupid and she wouldn’t give up. She wouldn’t even let herself consider her own potential fate.

Ironic, then, that her thoughts turned to Death. Just for a moment. She still had very little information about the mysterious unit. Rainbow couldn’t imagine how they were so well informed, knowing everyone’s names. A mole? A leak? Something else?

If there was one thing magic had done for her, it opened her mind to alternate possibilities. Things just didn’t seem impossible anymore. That applied not just to alternate explanations for Death’s knowledge, but also her plans to get out of here. And it might be just the boost to her confidence she needed to pull off the escape.

Wind Rider came over with more MREs. Rainbow didn’t even look at the one he gave her as she opened it. That was mostly because he sat down next to her, cross legged on the concrete. She hoped her stare was enough to convey her feelings. It either wasn’t or he ignored it.

There was a whole package of peanut M&Ms in his MRE. He smiled and offered it to her.

“No thanks.” Rainbow was dying for chocolate. But in that moment, death was preferable to accepting a gift from him.

Wind Rider looked honestly hurt. “I’m just trying to be nice.”

“You think that doesn’t make me suspicious?” She could have elaborated, about how the UTA did everything they could to sow mistrust among the pilots to keep them constantly on edge and unwilling to cooperate.

“I’m not your enemy here. I don’t have anything to gain from exploiting you.”

“Not my enemy?” She shook her head. “You’re literally employed by the guys who kidnapped me.”

“Did you know that I was once in your shoes?”

Rainbow wrinkled her nose. “And so you joined the UTA?”

Wind Rider visibly backpedaled. “I’m doing what I have to to survive.”

“What, couldn’t make it to one hundred missions and get a free ride out?” she challenged.

“You know-” Wind Rider stopped abruptly and shook his head. “I didn’t have a choice. It wasn’t a great choice, but I’m living better now than when I was a prisoner.” He gestured at the food. “And I think you know a little bit about choosing between a rock and a hard place.”

Rainbow crossed her arms and looked down her nose at him contemptuously. “Doing what you have to to survive? What about when you had a good job in the military but were still running drugs?”

Wind Rider’s mouth dropped open, but he quickly looked down. He took a moment and appeared to come to some sort of realization. “Did Soarin’ tell you that?”

Rainbow shrugged. If he’d guessed, there was no point in denying it.

“You know, I looked up to Wonderbolts pilots. They wouldn’t have gotten the job if they weren’t the best. I’m surprised he even knows who I am.” Wind Rider shrugged. “But who you were before doesn’t count for much here.”

“You’re wrong. I’m only surviving this place because I know who I am and what I stand for.”

Wind Rider’s lips flashed an amused smile that was gone as quickly as it came. “So you say. But you’ve changed. You can still be broken. Look at Soarin’. He went from being one of the world’s best pilots to being a crippled slave. The tables turn, don’t they? I think I made the right choice.”

Rainbow had seen for herself that Soarin’ had a fire inside that would astonish Wind Rider. But she didn’t need to tell him that.

Though, it made her wonder. What did Wind Rider have? Was there anything to salvage? What about Conner Clash or any of the others? Those who’d kidnapped her and forced her into this twisted nightmare.

Could Rainbow put aside the wrong they’d done her and reach out for redemption?

Could she live with herself if it didn’t work?

Maybe, and Yes, she decided.


The C-130 arrived in the morning. Rainbow could hear its distinctive engines outside the hangar. Pantera was only at ninety eight missions, so did the arrival of the cargo plane mean they were getting ready to move again?

Her question didn’t get answered, because they were suddenly called to action. Rainbow slipped out of the hangar before Wind Rider could say anything. She suspected that after their conversation the previous day, his attitude towards her might be changing.

Rainbow chose to ride with Pantera this time. The Alpha Jet was a little harder to see out of than the L-39, but better appointed.

As they rolled for takeoff, Rainbow said over the intercom, “What are you going to choose when you finish your missions?”

Pantera was silent for a moment. “I want to leave.”

“Are you sure that getting on the plane to fly out is...actually what they do?”

“No.” Pantera sighed. “No, I’m not sure. Taking the money and working for them is at least a more likely way to survive.”

“You know I’ve been working to get us out of here.”

“How is that going?”

Rainbow paused, but admitted, “Not well. Do you have any ideas?”

“What, so you can turn me in at ninety nine missions?”

Rainbow balked. “I...I was only talking to you because you have nothing left to gain by turning me in.”

“But you can see my point, right? I’m sympathetic, but I can’t put my faith in anyone but me.”

Just like that, another option was closed. Rainbow had tried to reach for help, but again was returned to the fact that she might be the only one who could pull this off.

Actions spoke louder than words. Would she actually have to get her plan in motion before anyone would join in? Would she have to drag them along?

What if they didn’t join her? Could she make them? What if she was forced to leave some behind? Was a partial solution better than none at all?

Rainbow couldn’t stomach that. Yes, a partial solution was better than none at all. No, she couldn’t accept leaving anyone behind.

Loyalty wasn’t practicality. But if she wasn’t true to herself, what did she have?

But then, should she sacrifice her own principles to keep people alive? Was her “all or nothing” attitude causing more suffering for others?