• Published 27th Jun 2017
  • 1,733 Views, 141 Comments

Until Fairer Skies Beckon - totallynotabrony



Rainbow is kidnapped and forced into a mercenary air force in an African civil war.

  • ...
6
 141
 1,733

Chapter 30

They did airstrikes in support of an ongoing operation. Rainbow squirmed a little at being in the back seat, but Pantera flew well and didn’t get them killed. Not that Rainbow thought she would. It was just that she wasn’t used to being at the mercy of someone else’s control.

Thoughts of loyalty were next. Being loyal meant sacrifice, going against her natural inclinations. She had to go with the others, whatever that might bring.

She just hoped that when the time came, they would all step up like Soarin’ had.

Pantera rolled out of her attack and the two of them returned to altitude to watch the others.

“So where do you think we’re going to go next?” Rainbow said over the intercom. “I keep hearing rumors that the UTA is going to leave Katange.”

“Me too, but I don’t know much else,” Pantera replied.

Rainbow looked around. Strange how her sense of danger had changed in the last few months. She was out of range of the ground and nobody was taunting her on the radio, so it felt pretty safe. She kept her eyes peeled, though.

She thought about the mysterious radio station out east. Were they still there? They hadn’t tried any more contact.

The hardest part about trying to plan the escape were how many unknowns there still were. Rainbow hadn’t managed to clear any fog away. Trust in her friends was one thing. Trust in the unknown was stupid.

But - there might not be another choice. Eventually, something would have to give. They might be forced to wing it. Needless to say, a terrible prospect when their lives were on the line.


When they got back to the base, the C-130 was gone, along with a lot of equipment. It seemed like the rumors of departure might turn out to be true.

This was compounded by lunch. They were fed until the food ran out. Rainbow purposely placed herself behind Soarin’ in line. They hadn’t had a chance to properly talk yet.

“What did you do with the stuff?” she asked straight off. She kept her voice down.

“Jubi helped me bring them over to our hangar.”

“You trust him?”

“Yes.”

Rainbow wanted to ask, but there wasn’t time or words to spare. She would have to trust Soarin’s judgement. “Well, at least we got away with it.”

Their staged scene back at Manatada, with the dead soldiers, seemed to have held up. When questioned after the soldiers hadn’t arrived back at Katange, both of them had feigned ignorance. The suspicion was there, but it was just as easy to blame the Freedom Army, particularly since Death had begun roaming around. The UTA was getting more than a little jumpy.

“We’re not out of the woods yet,” said Soarin’.

“Yeah,” Rainbow had to agree. “Do you have any ideas?”

He paused. “Maybe.”

“That’s it?”

“Do you have more than that?”

She hated to say it, but, “No.” She sighed. “Pantera’s getting close to her time.”

“I know.”

“Can we do anything?”

Soarin’ shrugged. It wasn’t dismissive, he just didn’t have anything to say. His eyes were still pointed towards the front of the line.

The helplessness was the worst. Rainbow looked around at the soldiers. They seemed tireder than usual, more preoccupied. Also…

“Hey,” she whispered. “Does it seem like there’s fewer guards than normal?”

Soarin’ turned his head slightly, covertly. “Yeah, now that you mention it.”

Was this another opportunity? Should she make a move? Would Soarin’?

She studied him, but also the soldiers. She saw the slight movements his head made, tracking them.

Then, they heard the plane. The C-130 appeared, coming in for a landing. It pulled up to the hangars and shut down. Only the pilots got off. There didn’t appear to be anyone or anything else on board. The only reason Rainbow could think of for arriving empty was that it would leave full. Apparently they were pulling out.

However, as the plane’s engines died away, they heard another aircraft, unmistakably a helicopter. Surely that wasn’t Lion Heart’s executive transport. But it was. Rainbow stared as it came in for a landing. What was he doing here?

That aside, she moved forward in line to receive bread and some type of native fruit. Turning, she looked for Soarin’, who was already heading for the hangar.

Rainbow’s eyes drifted to the horizon, where a small cloud of birds had just taken off from the tall grass. She looked at the guards. Upon Lion Heart’s approach, they’d gone tense, hands touching weapons.

Lion Heart, flanked by Clash and Wind Rider, walked over from the helicopter. The afternoon sun glinted on his wire framed glasses. He still wore his lion skin cape. By now, any eyes not doing something else were on him.

“Miss Pantera Prowl,” he said. “I wanted to congratulate you on your final mission.”

I thought she was only at ninety nine? Rainbow glanced from him to Pantera.

Seeing Pantera’s own confusion, Lion Heart said, “We’ll count the ferry flight from Manatada.”

This was it. Time was up. Pantera was leaving, one way or the other. Rainbow’s fists clenched.

Lion Heart said, “I hoped I could extend an offer to you. We could use a pilot we can trust. I’m prepared to make you a very generous offer. Cash, gold, or credit.”

Pantera swallowed. She said, “I’d like to go home.”

Lion Heart nodded but did not smile. He turned to the rest of the assembled pilots. “I will make a one-time offer to you all. For now only: you may accept the same paid position and leave this place, one hundred missions will be waived.”

Rainbow’s heart jumped. Was this really…? Would anyone accept? She looked to her fellow pilots.

“You should take it,” said Wind Rider, standing near her. Rainbow turned to face him.

“We can use you,” he said. “You would be great. I know you would.” He held out a hand.

Rainbow looked at his hand, and then threw the same morose glare to his face. “Get away from me, creep.”

Wind Rider drew back, his face petulant. He walked a few steps away and nodded towards Lion Heart.

The UTA Leader turned back to his helicopter and began to board. He waved his hand over his shoulder. “Kill them.”