• Published 20th Jun 2017
  • 1,434 Views, 24 Comments

Amazing Alicorns - Cardinal Dan Productions



Twilight Sparkle embarks on a journey to find and research the numerous Alicorn Princesses of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 24
 1,434

Part 3: Everfree

Twilight never left the water’s side. The longer she walked, the wider the stream got until the trickle grew into a flowing river, and before she knew it, Twilight was back in familiar territory. At least, whatever ‘familiar’ meant in the Everfree Forest. The crooked, mossy trees and overgrown brush did remind her of Zecora’s neck of the woods, however, so maybe she was on the right path.

Before she had left, Cascade told Twilight her friend was looking for her. She let out a long breath as she used her magic to grab onto thick locks of her mane and squeeze the water out while she walked. “Hmph... Ah... She must have been talking about Spike.”

Over stumps, rocks, and fallen trunks, Twilight climbed through the thicket. There was no path to be spoken of, and it was becoming harder and harder to keep the river in sight. As long as the water was there, she felt a sense of ease that was not usually present in the Everfree Forest.

Back at the hidden pool, Cascade mentioned she was the princess of pure water. Twilight wondered if there was another Alicorn guardian of water that ruled over the oceans. Anything seemed possible now, and the next time she saw Princess Celestia, she was going to ask her a while book’s worth of questions.

The further she walked, the darker the forest became. The trees above became thicker, blotting out the sun and causing the forest to become more sinister as a result. It wasn’t long before Twilight heard the first scream. The cry for help shattered the once eerily quiet forest, and Twilight’s stomach leaped onto her throat.

It was Spike.

Abandoning the river, Twilight leaped through the brush, chasing desperately after the little dragon’s screams of terror. “Spike! Spike, I’m coming!”

She spread her wings and took flight, dashing in between trees and smashing through branches. There was a dim light up ahead, a clearing in the dark forest. Twilight flapped her wings as quickly as she could manage and broke through the wall of vines and twigs, landing on all four hooves with a ‘thud’. Spike wasn’t there.

Instead, a pack of timberwolves was waiting for her. They turned around in unison, snarling at the pony and flaring through their yellow, glowing eyes.

Twilight stomped he me hoof and flared her nostrils. “Where. Is. My. Dragon.”

There were four of them in total. The pack leader, the largest one, stepped forward and let out a vicious growl at her.

Twilight flipped her mane out of her eyes and narrowed her gaze, fixing her attention on him. “Wrong answer...”

Her horn ignited and let loose a bolt of energy that caught the pack leader in the chest, exploding it into a cloud of wood chippings. The others howled before charging the pony. Twilight dig her hooves into the mud and raised a magical shield that covered her like a bubble.

The first two wolves to reach her leaped into the air but were deflected by the purple barrier. The third circled her while the others got back up. Pouring more energy into the shield, Twilight expanded the bubble until it exploded outward and dissipated, sending all three timberwolves flying towards the edge of the clearing.

With her horn glowing brighter than the sun and spitting sparks and fire, Twilight began unleashing her fury on the monsters, catching on in the tail with a bolt of magic. The clipped timberwolf cried out in pain and whined.

Just as Twilight readied herself to finish it off, a blinding, green light shot through the trees, faster than anything she could ever imagine. The pony had to raise a hoof over her eyes to keep her eyes from being damaged. When the light faded and the smoke cleared, Twilight found herself face to face with another pony.

She was brown from head to hoof with a leafy green mane and tail. Twilight could tell right off the bat that she was yet another Alicorn, complete with wings and a horn. She approached the mysterious princess timidly. “Um... He-Hello?”

The Alicorn paid her no attention, however, instead focusing on the timberwolves. She appeared to be talking to them, moving her lips and smiling kindly at them. The injured one with the tail Twilight had hit with her magic approached the princess and greeted her like a pet would greet his owner, panting happily and leaping up to paw at her legs.

Confused by what she saw, Twilight cleared her throat to speak again. “Hello?”

This time, she got the princess’ attention, and she immediately regretted it. The Alicorn turned on Twilight, showing her a very unhappy look. “What is the meaning of this, outsider? You run through my forest without care or remorse and hurt my children.”

To Twilight’s shock, the timberwolves that had previously been so vicious and bloodthirsty cowered behind the Alicorn for protection from... her. “I... I don’t... Who are you?”

The woodland princess stared blankly at Twilight and swatted at a pair of birds that had tried to land in her mane. “I am Everfree, princess of nature and guardian of this forest. Now, who might you be, one who tramples on my sacred land and attacks those who call it home?”

Twilight quickly shook her head. “Wh-What? No... I’m Twilight Sparkle, princess of friendship.”

Everfree raised an eyebrow. “Well, Twilight Sparkle, your actions weren’t very... friendly. I ask again, what’s your business here?”

The pony eyed the timberwolves. “I’m looking for my friend, a little dragon... and they attacked me! I only acted in self defense. I heard he was in trouble and thought they had gotten him.”

Everfree looked down at the timberwolves. “Cedar, is this true?”

The one she spoke to lowered its head and whimpered softly.

Twilight watched as she leaned in close to the beasts and spoke to them. A moment later, Everfree rose back to her full height and faced her. “Cedar tells me they came across your dragon, but he escaped with a zebra. They swear to me that they did not hurt him.”

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. That must have been Zecora who found Spike. “Can you tell me which way they went?”

Everfree looked down at the timberwolves and nodded at them, earning a nod in return. “Cedar will help you track your friend, and after that, they will leave you be, on the condition that you do not return.”

The forest princess’ horn began to glow, surrounding the pile of wood Twilight had reduced the pack leader into. The pieces came back together until the timberwolf stood with his pack again.

Twilight lowered her head. “I... I’m really sorry, Everfree.”

For the first time, the princess cracked a small smile at her. “Respect the forest, and it will respect you in return, Twilight Sparkle, princess of friendship. You must hurry, now, before my children are no longer able to follow your friends’ scent.”

Twilight nodded and took off into the woods again, following closely behind the pack of timberwolves.

***Up Next: Demise 2***