• Published 20th Jun 2017
  • 1,434 Views, 24 Comments

Amazing Alicorns - Cardinal Dan Productions



Twilight Sparkle embarks on a journey to find and research the numerous Alicorn Princesses of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 24
 1,434

Part 4: Demise (Ch. 2)

Demise stood on the mountain top overlooking the island, her gaze fixed on the moon rising above the horizon. As high up as she was, there was no wind, and she didn’t feel cold. Regardless, her body shivered, and her eyes narrowed at the moon that was now visible and quickly climbing into the sky.

From her perch on the mountain, Demise’s thoughts drifted, and her mind began to wander. She followed the drift and let it carry her through time. Through her mind’s eye, she could see Twilight Sparkle, and a smile crossed her lips.

The pony was running through a forest, and her purple coat was easily distinguishable from her surroundings.

“Twilight...” For a moment, Demise felt as though she was actually there, like she could reach out and touch the pony, and that’s just what she tried to do. “To feel you again, my little princess... just one more time...”

Then, Twilight stopped and turned to look directly at her.

Demise quickly recoiled, drawing her hoof close and stepping back.

Twilight looked confused and looked at something else Demise couldn’t see. ”Yeah, I’m coming. I just... thought I saw something...” Then, she bounded away, leaving a cloud of dust in her wake as she slipped from the time princess’ sight.

Demise shut her eyes as tears began to roll down her cheeks. When she opened her eyes again, the forest was gone, and she was standing in the middle of a vast, calm ocean.

The water was perfectly still, and the stars in the night sky made a mirrored reflection on the surface. Then, she began to walk. Every step took her further into the void. As her hooves met the surface of the water, little ripples expanded outward in every direction. A tear from her cheek fell and slashed in the ocean, followed by another and another after that.

*Twilight Sparkle isn’t yours... She’ll never be yours...*

The voice she heard was her own, but it wasn’t coming from her mouth. Demise shook her head in an attempt to escape from her thoughts and looked up at the moon. “She chose to leave. I couldn’t force her to stay...”

A sinister laught echoed in her mind. *That’s where you’re wrong! You could have made her stay, but you chose to let her leave, just like all the others before her...*

She turned around and stomped her hoof, causing a great ripple in the ocean. “No! Leave me! Leave me alone, and get out of my head!”

Demise stared at her reflection in the water, and the reflection stared back.

*With all your power and your infinite wisdom, you can’t bring yourself to take control of your own fate...*

Her reflection’s look turned sour, and her eyes narrowed. *Some princess you are, always acting in service of others when the universe gives you nothing in return...*

Demise let out a pained cry and stomped on her reflection, causing it to disappear in a sea of agitated ripples. She breathed heavily, teeth bared, and saliva dropped from the corner of her mouth. “This... is my duty... I am the lord of time and space, and it is my duty to protect it, even at the cost of my own freedom...”

A terrible laugh pierced her ears. *So mature! So brave... but I know what you really are... You’re a coward, too afraid to face your feelings for Twilight. You deserve her love and affection! You deserve to be happy!*

Demise let out a scream and collapsed, her legs buckling and bringing her down to the surface of the water. “Twilight’s destiny is her own... She’s not meant to be with me...”

She felt her throat close up, and her chest felt noticeably heavier. Her lips began to move on their own. “With my power, I could change destiny, Twilight’s as well as your own...”

Shakily, Demise climbed back to her hooves and stood tall. “For too long, I have watched the universe grow and tended to its care, but now...” She cackled as she spread out her giant wings. “... now, it is time for me to take what is rightfully mine. Now, the time has come for me to get what I want, what I deserve.”

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she imagined the face of Twilight Sparkle when she saw her again. She imagined a happy mare full of delight, likely shock and surprise.

Her horn ignited, and she vanished from the ocean, appearing next back at the island. Her grove was quiet and still, nothing stirred in the night. Demise stared at the pool.

The island was her home, and she was bound to it for eternity. Then, a scowl came over her. “Not anymore...” Her eyes narrowed at the pool as she lowered her horn. “I am in control of my own fate, now...”

Her horn ignited, and a brilliant ray of magic fired from the tip, hitting the surface of the pool and penetrating the rock below. Thunder rolled across the sky, and the ground beneath her hooves shook violently. The island was fighting her, trying to keep her from leaving, but Demise’s heart had been set. Darkness came over her, and she bared her teeth as she poured more and more energy into her magic. Her horn began to blacken, and the darkness creeped down until it began to cover her face and the rest of her form.

Demise opened her mouth, and a terrifying scream came out. Her whole body was shaking along with the earth beneath her, and sparks were flying from her horn, lighting up the night sky. The pool of water that had stood for countless eras and never dried up had been vaporized in a matter of minutes, and Demise’s magic continued to cut into the rock.

“Let... Me... Leave!”

Then, she heard it, the loudest noise ever to touch her ears as the island cracked in half. From the scorched scar, a black mist poured. Demise stood tall again, breathing heavily as the light from her horn faded. She looked up one final time, but there was nothing to see.

The moon and stars had gone, and the sky was nothing but an emptie void.

She took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “I’m coming, Twilight Sparkle...”

As she took a step towards the black mist, a pony bolted past her. Demise watched with shock on her face as the mare made a break for the mist. “You...”

The mare didn’t stop and leaped through the black cloud, vanishing before her eyes. Demise let out a frustrated roar. “Ahhh! There’s nowhere you can go, nowhere you can run! I will stop you, and I will have Twilight in the end!”

Then, she too ran through the mist, leaving her island behind.

***Up Next: Dulcet***