• Published 20th Jun 2017
  • 1,434 Views, 24 Comments

Amazing Alicorns - Cardinal Dan Productions



Twilight Sparkle embarks on a journey to find and research the numerous Alicorn Princesses of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 24
 1,434

Part 5: Dulcet

It took every ounce of strength in Twilight’s legs to keep up with the timberwolves. They were faster than she ever could have imagined and had stamina to boot. The one in the lead, Cedar, must have sensed she was falling behind, because he began to ease up a little. Twilight was thankful, because she was sorely out of breath at this point. “How... How much further?”

Another timberwolf, looked up ahead into the brush and howled.

“I’ll be honest, I don’t know that that means...”

Then, she felt something, a slight tingle on the back of her neck, a feeling like she was being watched. She turned around and looked into the trees, but only a dark forest looked back at her. There was a feeling of warmth on the breath of the wind rustling through the trees. Cedar snarled at her, getting Twilight’s attention.

“Yeah, I’m coming... I just... thought I saw something...”

The timberwolves were already on the move again, so she had to snap into a sprint in order to keep up. Twilight’s thoughts dwelled on the feeling of unease that she had just felt. It was unlike anything she had experienced before.

Unfortunately, she couldn’t afford to focus on it, because the timberwolves were beginning to outdistance her again. It wasn’t long now before they came to a break in the trees. Cedar and the others stopped just before the clearing and waited for Twilight to catch up.

The princess couldn’t believe her eyes. Before her was a familiar landmark at last, Zecora’s hut!

As she stepped out into the clearing, she heard a growl behind her. It sounded different to the ones she heard earlier, less violent and sinister. Twilight found it hard to put into words, but the timberwolves seemed to be communicating with her, or at least trying to.

Cedar bowed his head, and he and the others turned around and raced back into the thicket.

She raised a hoof and waved. “Thank you...” Twilight, for the first time, saw them as more than the monsters she thought them to be, though still dangerous. Everfree was certainly not an Alicorn she wanted to displease. Getting on her bad side could be detrimental to any future journeys into the Everfree Forest.

She approached Zecora’s hut, and knocked on the door. A moment later, it swung open to reveal the zebra and her dragon. Twilight gasped and a wide smile came over her face. “Spike!”

The little dragon hadn’t the time to respond before he was caught in a cloud of purple magic and hoisted into the air before being brought close to Twilight’s chest. “Oh, I was so worried about you!”

After being set back down, he brushed himself off and gave her a cocky look. “I should say the same thing about you, Twilight. After I lost you, I tried to find help but got chased away by some timberwolves. I was lucky to run into Zecora.”

The zebra smiled and waved, offering her a place to relax. “Come, Princess Twilight, sit and rest. Do tell me more about your little quest.”

Twilight sat down and let out a heavy sigh. “I came out here uncover some of the Everfree Forest’s secrets, but I stumbled on something far bigger than I ever could have imagined. Zecora, have you heard of... the lost Alicorns?”

The zebra pursed her lips and eyed her cauldron, watching the goop inside bubble before looking back at Twilight. “That is an ancient secret, one thought lost long ago. Why now do you ask? What is it you know?”

Twilight could hardly contain her excitement. “I’ve found them, Zecora! At least, I’ve found some of them, even the princess of this forest, Everfree herself. I want to search for the rest and find them all and hear everything they have to say.”

Zecora cracked a weak smile. “You are eager. That is good, but the Alicorns of old are often misunderstood. I know of one, hidden in the mountain. He guards the secret flame flickering in the fountain.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. She had never heard of an Alicorn prince. Then again, Cascade has mentioned her sisters, as well as her brothers. She wanted to ask more, but as her mouth opened to speak, a blinding bolt of lightning arched across the sky, and the thunder that followed shook the ground violently.

Jars of potion ingredients toppled, and shelves fell. Twilight stumbled to her hooves, and she and Zecora rushes out side in time to see two fiery objects falling from the sky. One was heading straight for the forest, straight for them.

“Zecora, Spike, get back inside!” Twilight stood her ground and raised her horn.

As the zebra and dragon retreated indoors, she created a magical shield around herself and the hut. The object was getting closer, and beads of sweat rushed down her face.

Then, it hit, and the earth shook again.

Twilight groaned under the impact, and her shield shattered. Her legs felt like jelly, but she managed to stay standing. When she opened her eyes, the clearing had become a crater, rocks and loose dirt thrown in every direction.

Twilight stared in awe at the damage to the forest floor. Everfree wouldn’t be happy, and that blast was certainly felt in Ponyville.

Then, she saw her, a mare at the bottom of the hole. She was covered head to hoof in dirt and coughing furiously, but Twilight could make out bits and pieces of a white coat as bright as freshly fallen snow, complimenting her silver mane.

Twilight wasted no time in dashing into the crater, sliding down on the backs of her hooves until she reached the bottom. “Hey! Are you alright?”

The white mare’s horn began to glow, and a brief, but stunning, wave of energy shook the loose dirt off of her, revealing a pair of wings.

Twilight froze before her. “You’re an Alicorn...”

The mare looked at her and smiled. “Indeed, and you’re Twilight Sparkle. It is... good to see you.”

Twilight cocked her head to the side. “I’m sorry, have we met?”

The white Alicorn shook her head. “No, we have not been introduced, though I know all about you.” She cleared her throat. “My name is Dulcet. We have much to talk about, Twilight Sparkle, and not a lot of time to do it.

***Up Next: Demise (Ch. 3)***