• Published 20th Jun 2017
  • 1,434 Views, 24 Comments

Amazing Alicorns - Cardinal Dan Productions



Twilight Sparkle embarks on a journey to find and research the numerous Alicorn Princesses of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 24
 1,434

Part 1: Demise

Author's Note:

Inspired by Percy Jackson’s meeting with Calypso in The Battle of the Labyrinth.

***A Patriot Pony Production***

Twilight woke up with a throbbing pain in her side. It stretched from her lower back to her neck. She opened her mouth, but as she breathed in, her muscles tensed, and the pain escalated.

“Do you sleep still, little princess?”

The sound of the mare’s voice seemed to sooth her. As more of her senses came back to her, Twilight began to notice the peaceful sounds around her. Birds chirped, wind rustled through the trees, and a spring bubbled gently somewhere behind her.

Finally, her eyes opened, and a big, blue sky opened above her. Strangely, there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. Tall trees swayed slowly from side to side, and their leaves shook before fluttering to the ground, one by one. It was beautiful. There was no other word to describe it.

“Ah! So she is awake… Do you always sleep in this late, my dear?”

Twilight bolted upright with her head spinning to find the speaker. Her eyes scanned her immediate surroundings. It was a grove, full of life and buzzing with insects. All around her, tall trees with thick trunks sprouted from the earth, reaching for the sky. To her right, a crystal clear spring bubbled and rippled as fresh water rose from an unseen source at the bottom. Opposite to the spring, a cave appeared through the trees. The rocks looked ancient, covered from top to bottom in moss and strange carvings.

The world she was in was a sort of paradise. It was quiet, peaceful, and tranquil. The only problem was Twilight had no idea of where she was or how she got there. Out of options, the curious mare tried to climb to her hooves in order to investigate the nearby cave, but the moment she tried to put weight on her legs, they buckled, and she collapsed.

“Oh, please do not try to move so quickly…”

Groaning on the ground, Twilight rolled on her back and looked up. She felt a hoof behind her head, and without the strength to protest, she powerless to stop herself from being hoisted slightly upright.

“Drink this, please. It will make you feel much better.”

The purple mare peered inside the goblet. The liquid inside looked like water, but as some of it passed her lips and traveled down her throat, she came to the conclusion that it had to be something else, something magical. Though it looked like water, it had the viscosity of syrup, and it tasted sweet. As she drank more and more of the strange liquid, Twilight began to feel stronger.

With each sip, the sore pains that pulsed throughout her body faded until she could no longer feel them. In a matter of moments, the goblet was empty. Twilight almost felt a longing for the mysterious substance. It gave her a warm feeling inside reminiscent of enjoying hot chocolate on Hearth's Warming Eve.

She was sitting upright now, without the support of whoever offered her the goblet. Twilight knew now that she hadn't been imagining that, so she sought to find whoever it was that had helped her. Her eyes scanned the grove until she saw her, a tall mare standing in the entrance to the cave. Her back was turned, but Twilight could make out a few details.

The mare’s coat was a light grey color, and she had a shimmering, golden mane with a tail to match. Then, there was her cutie mark, or her lack of one. The mare’s flanks were completely bare.

“You’ve been out for quite some time, Twilight Sparkle, princess of friendship.”

Twilight cocked her head to the side as she eyed the mare. The mare looked back at her, looking over her shoulder, and smiled before returning to whatever it was that she was doing. At last, Twilight found her voice. “How… How do you know my name? I don't mean to sound rude, but have we met?”

The mare turned around finally, revealing a new goblet, filled with more of the rejuvenating liquid. “I know the names of every inhabitant that calls this world ‘home’. It's one of my duties, after all…”

Then, Twilight saw them, a pair of wings. In addition to the horn sprouting from her forehead, the mare also sported a pair of large, majestic wings tucked against her sides.

She was an Alicorn.

“You may drink this at your leisure.” She offered Twilight the goblet, which she took graciously.

“Thank you, but…” Twilight interrupted herself to take a sip of the liquid. A small sigh of content escaped her lips as the warm feelings of ease and tranquility returned. “… Who are you?”

The mare wore a huge grin and bowed slightly. “I am Demise, the princess of time.” Twilight’s jaw dropped. She had never heard of another Alicorn princess besides Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. “My duty is to govern all of time and space, what has been, what is, and what will be.”

After overcoming her initial shock, Twilight found her voice a second time as she stared in awe at the princess. “You… know what will happen in the future?”

Demise smiled and chuckled softly, shaking her head. “No, not exactly. Fate is a fickle thing. Every being has the power to control his or her own destiny, but I have a good idea of where their paths may lead them.”

Twilight absentmindedly rubbed the back of her head as she stood up. It was a lot to take in. The strange drink helped, there was no doubt about that, but her legs wobbled with every step, like she might collapse again at any moment.

Demise had returned to the cave, and she gestured for Twilight to follow. “This way, Twilight Sparkle.”

With the goblet in her magical grasp, she took another sip before walking after her. Every step filled her confidence in her own strength, and by the time she reached the cave, Twilight was walking without the fear of falling on her face. With every turn, the mysterious grove surprised her.

“I apologize for the mess… I'm sure you understand that I do not receive guests very often, usually the occasional visitor such as yourself.”

Twilight didn't know what to expect when she entered the cave, but she certainly didn't expect to find a lavishly furnished and ornately decorated hall. As for the ‘mess’ Demise spoke of, Twilight didn't know what she meant. The place looked spotless, except for the large bed tucked away towards the back of the cave, where the sheets fell together in a clumsy heap.

“I do hope you find my home is able to accommodate your needs.” Demise blushed slightly as she made herself comfortable on one of four long sofas surrounding a crackling fire in the center of the cave. “I realize that this doesn't compare to your palace in Ponyville.”

Twilight, coming back to reality after her initial shock, quickly shook her head as she followed the princess towards the sofa. “No… It’s beautiful…”

That was enough to make Demise beam. “Yes, it truly is…”

The princess wasn’t looking around the cave, however. She was looking at Twilight. Demise quickly cleared her throat and motioned for Twilight to sit down with her.

Twilight obliged and took the sofa opposite to hers. With only the gentle fire between them, the mares stared each other down. After several awkward moments of silence, the princess of time was the first to speak. “You have questions, I can tell.”

The purple mare nodded her head quickly, earning a wide grin from Demise. “I do… There's so many, I don't even know where to begin.” Twilight rubbed her temples, like she was trying to remember something. “I guess I should just start with the obvious ones… Where are we? What is this place?”

Demise pursed her lips as she thought on the question. “I… have often asked myself that very same question. I don't remember anything before this grove. I just… appeared, I suppose. It's a sacred and quiet place.”

Twilight silently appreciated the Alicorn’s efforts, but very little of what she wanted to know actually got answered. “No… Where are we, I mean? Are we near Ponyville or in the Everfree Forest? Spike might be looking for me, and…” Her voice trailed until it fell silent. “… Spike… He must be worried about me. I need to find him and let him know I'm alright.”

Twilight tried to stand up only to fall back towards the sofa. Her muscles felt tense and heavy. Putting any strain on them only made her feel worse. Her frantically shifting gaze fell on Demise.

“This Spike… He is the juvenile dragon, correct?”

Twilight nodded her head slowly as she tried to stretch her legs. “Yeah… How did you-”

“I am familiar with all of this world’s creatures, Twilight Sparkle.” Then, a sly grin formed along her lips. “Also, you talk in your sleep.” Demise rose from the sofa and circled the fire until she stood in front of her. She raised a hoof, bringing it up to Twilight’s face and caressing her cheek. Twilight didn't flinch or back away. She felt eased by the princess’ touch. “You must eat and rest, first.”

Demise spoke so softly. Her words fell out of her mouth like a gentle cascade. “It would be unwise to leave in your current state.”

Twilight frowned at the princess. “My current state? I feel fine.”

Demise smiled coyly at her like a mother might at her disobedient child. “The elixir does not heal. It simply dulls the pain. When its effects dissipate, you will feel pain again, and you will have to take more.”

That didn't make Twilight feel any better. In fact, she realized just how tired she really was. The throbbing pain was returning, just as Demise predicted.

“What, so I'm your prisoner here?” The purple mare realized immediately how rude she sounded, but she couldn't take back what she said.

Demise didn't look hurt by her outburst. “I am not your captor, Twilight Sparkle, nor are you my prisoner.” She turned her back to Twilight, facing the fire. “I am your host, and you, my guest.” With her magic, she lifted up the goblet Twilight had carried inside earlier and offered it to her. “Drink, please.”

Twilight figured there was no arguing with the princess. As the first sip crossed her lips and slid down her throat, the pain in her muscles faded once again. Demise returned from the fire and sat down next to Twilight, watching her intensely as she emptied the goblet. When she was finished, she let out a small ‘burp’, causing her to blush as she set the goblet down. “Mmmm… What is this stuff?”

Demise took the empty goblet and set it aside. “I cannot tell you that either, honestly. It comes from the spring outside. For all of the many eons I have been here, the spring has never stopped filling.”

Twilight's jaw dropped. “H-H-How… old are you?”

The princess laughed out loud.

“Ah… Didn’t your parents teach you not to ask a mare such a question? Age is irrelevant, for me. You see, time passes differently here than it does in your world. As the princess of time, I do not age.” Then, her smile faded. “The other Alicorns… Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, even you, Twilight Sparkle, the times of all of the world’s many Alicorns will come eventually.”

Twilight's ears folded back.

The fire seemed seemed less bright than it was a second ago. “I… I thought the princesses were immortal.”

Demise shook her head somberly. “No… I'm afraid not. Alicorns are not gods, Twilight Sparkle. We live, and we die. It takes many thousands of years, but everyone has a limit to the amount of time they have.” Demise looked over and saw the depressed look on her face. “… but you needn't worry about such things, my little princess.”

Twilight looked up at her, unsure if that was supposed to make her feel better.

“Celestia and Luna are quite young and immature for Alicorns, you know.” Now, that was something she had never heard before. The words ‘Celestia’ and ‘immature’ didn't belong in the same sentence. “And you, Twilight Sparkle, have only just begun your journey as an Alicorn princess. When your time comes, you will be a great and wise ruler, surrounded by your greatest friends and those you love…”

That was enough to turn her thoughts around. She remembered the way Celestia and Luna bickered when Starlight had been sent to Canterlot by the map. Maybe they weren't as all knowing as she once thought. Twilight couldn't stop herself from smiling as she stared into the fire.

“You should get some rest, now.” Demise rose from the sofa and stretched her wings. “You may have my bed, if you'd like.”

The effects of the elixir must have been fading again, because her exhaustion hit her all at once. Twilight tried to object. She didn't want to impose. “No, I'm fine here…”

Her words spilled from her mouth before a lengthy ‘yawn’ forced its way out. Twilight felt her eyes growing more and more heavy. She fell on her side, planting her face against the sofa cushion. Twilight wasn't sure, but she thought she felt a pair of lips brush against her cheek.

Her vision grew darker as she was lifted into the air. As her eyes closed completely, she felt herself being lowered onto something soft. Then, a light quilt draped over her body, and she fell asleep to the sound of the crackling fire.

“Sleep well, my little princess…”

***

The essence of the Everfree Forest was a lack of control. It was a region of Equestria that could not be tamed. Many great cartographers had tried and failed to create a reliable map of the Everfree in order to make it easier to navigate, but the forest changed again and again. Some paths are opened one day and swallowed by the thicket the next.

Intrigued by the Everfree’s magical behavior, as she is by most things magical, Twilight Sparkle sought out one of the the forest’s only friendly inhabitants, Zecora. If anyone had any helpful insight into the forest’s strange behavior, it would be the zebra.

“Come on Spike! Zacora wanted to meet us before dark.”

The dragon hobbled along the best he could, but the Twilight’s stride left him trailing behind. The route to the zebra’s place was tricky to navigate at best, as the forest was constantly changing, but it had to be taken on hoof. Flying overhead wasn't an option. Twilight might miss the zebra’s hut a thousand times before giving up.

As the trees overhead grew taller, their thick branches, heavy with leaves and vines, began to blot out the sun. Visibility declined drastically, but Twilight pressed on, looking carefully at the ground to keep herself from tripping on any roots rising ground the muddy ground. The air felt hot, thick, and moist.

“Twilight…” Spike was gasping for air, drenched in sweat. “Wa… Wait up…”

Twilight followed the sweet scent of blooming plants through the shaded forest until she heard a distant roar of running water. It was soft, but grew in volume with every step she took. When she was close enough to see the waterfall, the roaring sound drowned out the sloppy mud beneath her hooves, but she still could not see the waterfall itself. It should have been right in front of her.

Twilight treaded carefully, placing each hoof forward one after the other. The ground was becoming unpredictable. Massive roots and jagged rocks sprung up all around her. She leaped from rock to rock, opening her wings just long enough to glide to safety. The waterfall was deafeningly loud, now.

“Twilight, I think you should be more careful up there… It doesn't look very safe.” Spike’s warning fell short of her ears.

She should have been able to see something, but there was nothing around but trees and overgrowth. Twilight leaped into the air, her eyes settling on a thick-looking root to land on, but as her hooves made contact, everything went wrong. The slippery surface rejected her immediately, and she fell backwards.

“Twilight!”

The pony had no time to react, no time to cry out, before her back hit the forest floor, but she didn't stop there. She crashed through the brush and the layer of fallen leaves and twigs that littered the floor, and she fell into vast chasm that opened up below her.

“Twiiiiiiiiiiiilight!”

The ground had swallowed her whole. Twilight found her voice and let out a horrified scream as she fell down the subterranean waterfall. The pool of water below rushed upwards to meet her at an alarming speed.

Then, everything went white.

***

Twilight bolted upright, breathing heavily as beads of sweat trailed down her forehead. Her chest ached terribly. Gradually, her breathing slowed, and her eyes began to wander. She was not in a hazardous part of the Everfree Forest. She was in a comfortable bed in a cave lit by a fire, safe, warm, and dry.

Outside the sun had set, and darkness filled the once bright cave. Were it not for the flickering fire, she wouldn't have been able to see a thing. A wave of anxiety washed over her as she came to the realization that she wasn't dreaming. Everything that had happened before, everything she could still remember, was all real. She was stranded in the middle of nowhere with an Alicorn she knew nothing about.

Twilight shivered as she climbed out of the bed she had no recollection of falling asleep in, and she made her way towards the mouth of the cave. Outside, the night sky opened above her, and she let out a sharp gasp. Thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of twinkling stars dotted the dark, blue sky. She could see dozens nebulas, massive celestial clouds made from the dust of fallen stars.

Twilight’s eyes fell from the heavens until they landed on Demise. Her back was facing as she sat by the spring, staring straight up. She was glowing, literally and figuratively. Her grey fur and golden mane shimmered in the light shining from above. Under the night sky, she looked… beautiful.

There was no other word Twilight could mentally come up with. In the light of the distant stars and the moon as it rose above the trees, Demise looked beautiful. Not in the sense of beauty that Rarity might have, dressed well and caked in makeup. No… To Twilight, she looked pure and natural, ageless and timeless.

“Do you like what you see, my little princess?”

Twilight quickly shook her head as she came back to reality. She realized that she had been staring, and her cheeks flushed red.

Demise looked back at her and grinned, showing off her stunning smile. Then, she turned her head and looked back up at the night sky. “This… is the view I am blessed with every evening. Princess Luna truly is an artist, is she not?”

Twilight began to breathe a little easier. Maybe, she hadn't been caught. “Ye-Yeah… I've never seen the sky so… full, though.”

Demise closed her eyes as a gentle wind brushed against her face. “When the world is quiet and the air is still, you'll find you can see much more than you realize.” She opened her eyes and faced Twilight. “Luna has the moon, and Celestia has the sun.” She pointed towards the sky. “That, Twilight Sparkle, is my realm.”

Twilight tried to follow the Alicorn’s hoof as she pointed vaguely towards the stars. “What, you mean the sky?”

Demise let out a soft chuckle as she lowered her hoof. “No, my dear… My realm lies beyond the sky, beyond the stars. You see, looking up at a night sky is like looking back in time. What we see is a recording of what occurred many millions of years ago, maybe even bIllions.”

She looked towards a large, red nebula overhead. “Those stars died long ago. What we see now is the aftermath of such a cataclysmic event. The night sky is forever changing. You may not notice it, but I have seen the constellations change again and again.”

Silence filled the space between them as they both stared up at the night sky, but Twilight couldn't look up for long, because something far brighter and far more beautiful continued to capture her attention. Once again, she found herself looking not at the stars, but at Demise. Twilight had met the princess of love and beauty.

She knew Cadence very well, actually. She would never admit it outloud, but Demise looked so much… more. She looked natural in every sense of the word, like she didn't have to try to be who she was.

Then, Demise turned on Twilight, boasting a cheeky grin like she had just come up with a brilliant idea. “Come with me, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight hadn't the time to speak before she found herself being pulled by her hoof into the trees. After a few moments, she broke free and galloped after Demise on her own. Together, they left the grove behind.

The purple princess didn't need to ask Demise where they were going. Up ahead, she could see a mountain peak rising above the treetops.

It felt good to run. Twilight had been static for far too long. The ground was mostly flat, save the slight incline in the terrain as they approached the mountain, but there was nothing to fall on. Under the moonlight that came through the trees, the forest floor lit up beautifully.

The only sounds to be heard were the insects buzzing and the hooves of the princesses galloping through the carpet of leaves. Twilight would have liked to stay a little longer, but Demise showed no signs of stopping. They quickly left the forest floor behind and began to climb. A steep path lead them around the towering mountain.

Demise came to a stop, at last, as the path reached its own end. A cliff extended far from the mountainside. Twilight looked above them, noticing that they still had a long way to go before they reached the peak, but they already were higher than the treetops.

The princess of time looked back at her, noticing the look of exhaustion on Twilight’s face, and she smiled. “Don't worry, my dear. This is where we stop.” A sense of relief washed over her as she approached the edge of the cliff with Demise. Together, they looked out over the vast forest. “I like to come here every so often. The cold air and clear sky give me comfort when I feel confined to the grove.”

It really was a sight to behold. The entire sky looked over them, looking mysterious and inviting. From the new vantage point, Twilight came to realize something else, something she couldn't have known from the grove.

“It's… an island.”

In every direction, the woods came to a stop as they reached sandy beaches. An endless ocean stretched as far as the eye could see.

Demise nodded her head slowly. “Yes, Twilight Sparkle… You see, my home is a paradise, quiet and full of beauty, but it is also a prison.” She wore a sad smile as she eyed the grove in the distance. “As the princess of time, I will exist for all time, but that is a responsibility I am destined to endure by myself.”

Twilight stood beside her, looking up at the princess. She couldn't possibly imagine being without someone to talk to forever. She would go mad for sure. “How… do you do it?” Demise looked towards her, cocking her head. “How do you deal with the loneliness, I mean…”

That made the princess chuckle ever so briefly before her sad smile returned. “I am not always alone. Every few millennia, fate sends me someone in need of my help, someone lost or hurt, someone near death…” Twilight bit her lower lip as the memory of her last few steps in the Everfree Forest resurfaced. “They stay for a while, but in the end, they all leave me behind.”

Her ears dropped, and Twilight’s heart hardened. It felt like a rock inside her chest. “Why? Why would anypony want to leave this place? Why would anypony want to leave you?”

Demise carved her hoof through the dirt beneath her as she drew in a deep breath. “They have lives to live, Twilight Sparkle…” She looked Twilight directly in the eyes. “I promised myself that I would hold back this time, that I would refuse to offer it to you…”

There was a bit of an edge to her words, and the air felt that much colder because of it. “Offer ‘what’ to me?”

Demise raised a hoof and stretched it out, gesturing towards the entire island. “For you to stay with me, here, forever. Staying with me would mean leaving everything you once knew behind, forever. Together, we would watch the universe grow and die over the course of many eons, only to be reborn again, and again, and again.”

Twilight closed her eyes as the thought of staying with Demise ran through her mind. She'd be immortal, living forever with a lovely princess on an island of paradise. She'd be able to learn more about magic the universe than ever before. The potential would literally be limitless.

But she'd also lose her friends and family. She'd be confined to the island for all time. She'd lose everything that defined her.

After several long moments, Twilight shook her head. “No… I would miss my home and those I love. I couldn't leave them behind.”

Demise nodded her head like it was the answer she was expecting. She looked older somehow, having heard Twilight’s answer. She took in a deep breath before letting out a long sigh. “Fate is a cruel thing…”

Twilight frowned as she looked up at the princess. “What do you mean?”

Demise shook her head, obviously avoiding Twilight’s gaze. “Whenever I am sent someone in need of my help, they always seem to be… to be someone I cannot help myself from falling in love with…”

Twilight froze as Demise met her eyes at last. Under the stars and the shining moon, they stared into each other, the wind blowing their manes towards the east.

“M-M-Me?”

Demise choked back her tears as she nodded her head. “Of course, you… I've been watching you from the moment you were born. I've seen the great things you've done, and… Oh, Twilight, of course, I love you…” Then, she stopped and raised a hoof to wipe the tears from her eyes. “But like all who came before you, your destiny does not intertwine with my own.”

Twilight placed a gentle hoof on Demise’s shoulder, startling the elder princess. “Demise, I'm grateful for what you did for me, and I would never do anything to hurt you, but…” She swallowed hard. “… I just can't stay.”

The princess nodded her head, like she was trying to assure herself that everything would be fine. “Maybe… I could come visit you?”

Demise managed a weak grin through her sniffles, but she ultimately shook her head. “Oh, Twilight Sparkle… How I wish it were possible… None who leave my island can ever return.”

Twilight's hoof fell, and they both stood in silence. As high as they were, only the winds could be heard between them, blowing their manes as they stared down into the woods below. Her heart ached something awful. She didn't mean to break the princess’ heart. It couldn't have been her fault.

“Perhaps…” Demise broke the silence at last. “… it would be best for you to go. You are well again, and… I cannot bear to hold you any longer.” Her golden mane and tail glowed brilliantly in the moonlight. “Are you ready, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight wanted to nod her head and say ‘yes', but she hesitated. Scenario after scenario ran through her mind, showing her what might happen if she accepted the princess’ offer instead. She knew she'd be able to find happiness with Demise. Till death do us part? They'd never die. They would live and love each other for all time on a beautiful island. But for all of that, she'd lose everything and everypony she knew and loved back home. She'd also be abandoning her duties as the princess of friendship. Starlight was a good student, but there were some things that Twilight needed see to personally. There was no way she could leave her life behind.

“I'm… ready to go…” Her words came out coarse and dry, like it hurt to speak.

Demise approached the edge of the cliff and spread her majestic wings. “Let us return to the grove, then.” Then, she took off.

Twilight exhaled a long breath before leaping after her. They soared through the night, the trees below them rapidly approaching. The hollow that made up the grove was just up ahead. Twilight could see the flickering light emanating from the mouth of the cave.

With grace, they landed.

Demise quietly walked towards the edge of the grove, towards a small patch of flowers. They had long stems and wide petals surrounding a ruby-colored bud. The petals were a light grey with a bright, golden trim around the edges. The princess picked up a sIngle flower with her magic and returned to the center of the grove, where Twilight stood.

“Here…” Demise offered Twilight the flower, which she took without a second thought. “It… It doesn't need much attention, but it flourishes under light from the night’s stars. I'd like you to plant it in Ponyville, and remember me…”

Twilight nodded her head. “Of course, Demise… I'll never forget you.”

The princess smiled before leaning forward and planting a soft kiss on her lips. “Nor will I forget you, Twilight Sparkle…”

Stunned by the kiss, Twilight could hardly bring herself to move. For a moment, she wasn't sure if she was still holding onto the flower with her magic.

Demise looked towards the spring. “Step into the water, Twilight Sparkle, and think of your home. I’ve arranged for somepony to meet you.”

Her words sounded distant and muffled, but she understood. Twilight shuffled her way towards the spring, and after a brief moment of hesitation, she stepped inside. It was a lot shallower than she had originally thought, but each step forward took her deeper and deeper. After several steps, she could hardly keep her head above the water.

Twilight look back towards the grove, towards Denise, who smiled encouragingly. “Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight managed to smile in return before she head submerged in the water. She closed her eyes tight and thought of Ponyville, of her castle. Then, everything went white.

***Up Next: Cascade***