• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 1,144 Views, 148 Comments

A World Above - KidatHeart5



8th installment of the "Royal Canterlot Family" series. Based on "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "The Pied Piper". A wedding is underway, but when children get kidnapped and a war threatens to erupt, a giant cloud in the sky may hold some answers.

  • ...
2
 148
 1,144

Aerosol

“This is your way out. When you come to the two tunnels, don’t take the one on the right. It’s filled with dangerous gas,” the captain instructed the group when they reached the mouth of a tunnel.

Skater nodded in understanding, “Dangerous gas. Got it.”

The captain said, “Good. I now bid you farewell and may you have a safe journey.”

After he left the group, Nova lit her horn and changed everyone back into their true forms. When they walked into the dark tunnel, the adults with horns lit them up to light their way. After walking for a few minutes, they still weren’t close to the exit.

Jam groaned, “Are we there yet? My feet are tired.”

Gabby agreed, “You said it. We’ve been walking for miles. Are we ever going to get there?”

Vapor pointed out, “We have to reach the two tunnels first.”

Sky Stinger then gestured, “And here they are.”

As the group stood before the two tunnels, Turquoise asked, “Which way do we go again?”

Skater and Roller said as they pointed their hooves in opposite directions, “Left/right.”

She told her brother, “The guard told us not to take the tunnel on the right.”

The male twin argued, “No, he said we should.”

Apple Butter said, “I’m gonna have to side with Skater on this one.”

Mischief nodded, “It’s definitely the left.”

Silver took a whiff of the right tunnel and grimaced, “You can certainly tell by the smell of this tunnel which way to go.”

Roller groaned in defeat as the group headed up the left tunnel. After some more walking, Oddball decided to turn a stone into a basketball.

He bounced it as the other kids noticed and said, “Hey, we want a turn! Yeah, we wanna play with the ball!”

Silver reprimanded, “We have no time to be playing games in a tunnel. We need to get to the exit as soon as possible.”

Oddball agitatedly reverted the basketball back into a stone and threw it at a wall. The impact of his throw created a crack in the wall that hissed green gas.

When everyone noticed the increasing cloud of gas in the tunnel, the kids pointed their hooves at Oddball and accused, “He did it!”

Silver angrily said, “I see. Well, young colt, you’ve done a fine job endangering us all.” His eyes widened when he realized that his voice had become higher-pitched with those last three words.

The others were surprised as well before some of them giggled.

Cuff giggled with a high voice, “You got a squeaky voice! And I do, too!”

Ruff piped up, “Me, too!”

Jam smiled, “Hey, I sound like Grandma!”

The kids laughed and repeatedly said with high-pitched voices, “Squeaky voice! Squeaky voice! Squeaky voice!”

The adults couldn’t help but chuckle at the situation. Silver, however, didn’t find this funny at all.

Begrudgingly, he spoke to admonish the children, “Stop laughing, all of you!”

The guys chuckled and Roller mocked Silver, “Stop laughing, all of you!”

Mischief shushed his friends in playful glee before he imitated Silver, “Get away from me, you freaks of nature! Don’t make me break out the hose again!”

The guys erupted in high-pitched laughter while Silver frowned at them.

Apple Butter said to the mares, “I don’t get what’s so dangerous about the gas.”

Skater answered, “You could die from laughing.”

Flurry giggled a bit from hearing her cousin’s voice being so high-pitched, “Sorry. Your voice.”

Apple Butter also giggled, “Heh-heh-heh-heh. Your voice.”

Skater waved her hooves as she said, “All right, all right, all right. We get it. It’s funny. Let’s just get out of here before it gets out of hoof.”

Barely containing her giggles in, Flurry mustered her seriousness and nodded, “Agreed.”

She concentrated on her magic and levitated every laughing child and stallion in her aura. The girls then raced up the tunnel’s slope before they ran into…clouds? Before they knew, the girls’ heads surfaced amidst fluffy clouds. They could see nothing but the reddening sky and clouds shaped like trees and bushes for miles.

Skater said in her normal voice, “Don’t tell me we’ve died and went to heaven.”

Apple Butter felt the side of her neck and then answered, “Nope. Still got a pulse.”

Suddenly, the kids and stallions emerged through the clouds.

Sky Stinger asked, “Where are we?”

Jam pointed his hoof at something as he cried, “Look! Words!”

The group turned their heads to see a cloudy signpost with one sign: CLOUD PATCH. Before anyone could say, the kids began to jump up and bounce on the cloudy surface. They chortled and laughed as they had fun.

“Look at me!”

“Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy!”

“I can bounce higher!”

“Can not! I can!”

“Fluffy clouds! Fluffy, fluffy!”

Flurry said as she lifted herself onto the cloudy surface, “Well, I suppose this means we can walk on them.”

Sky Stinger – who was lying on his back with some small clouds covering his body – said serenely, “What’s the rush? This is nice. Really nice.” The kids then jumped on the clouds surrounding him, making bits of cloudy aerosol get in his face. He said as he got up, “On second thought, it was nice.”

Gabby cried to some of the other kids, “Race you to the top of the hill!”

The gleeful children raced up the cloudy hill and looked in awe when they reached the peak.

Gabby called with a wide and delighted smile on her face, “Guys! Come up here! You gotta see this!”

The adults and the rest of the kids climbed up the hill and they too were filled with wonder.

Zealot, whose own eyes were filling with tears, remarked, “Well, what do you know? There’s the whole world at our feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, stars, and the winged creatures?”

The view was astounding to behold. The whole horizon and even the earth seemed to curve before the expansive sky. Even the tallest buildings on the ground seemed as small as dolls. The amazed group watched as the golden sun dipped and eventually disappeared below the horizon while the gentle moon ascended from the ground to usher in the night and its stars.


After the spectacular show, the group made dinner from whatever was left in their bags. It was nothing much – just a bundle of carrots, some apples, and a couple of tea cakes from Silver Tongue’s manor.

Cuff was displeased with his choices for dinner, so he grabbed his wishing star and said, “I wish for apple pie.”

When the apple pie appeared before him, Skater admonished, “You know, you had dessert for lunch.”

Silver frowned, “Yes, you’ve wasted two wishes on dessert now.”

Apple Butter defended, “He’s a young colt. I mean, if you had a wishing star that can grant three wishes, wouldn’t you want to wish for anything you desire?”

Vapor said in a nauseous voice as she put her hoof over her mouth, “Right now, some seltzer water wouldn’t hurt.”

Sky asked in concern, “Are you okay, honey?”

“I’m fine. I’m just feeling a little sick to my stomach.”

Blaze said, “Maybe the gas was dangerous after all.”

Nova asked, “But wouldn’t we all be sick, too?”

The others nodded in agreement. They sure didn’t seem to be as ill as Vapor was.

Cuff looked at his wishing star and held it out to Vapor, “Here. You can use it to get well.”

The Pegasus asked, “Are you sure, Cuff? It’s your wishing star.”

“You can have it. Mommy and Grandma tell me to always give to others when they need it. I can get more wishing stars when we save Pair-a-duck.”

Vapor grabbed the wishing star and smiled, “Thank you very much. It’s very nice of you.”


As the kids were tucked into soft cloud blankets, Gabby asked, “Flurry, can you sing us a bedtime song? My parents used to do it for me.”

Flurry’s heart cracked from realizing that Gabby was an orphan, but she smiled and complied, “Sure. I know just the one.” She sat down and began to sing softly, “She’s resplendent, so confident…La Rein, La Rein, La Rein…I realize, I’m hypnotized…La Rein, La Rein, La Rein…

“I hear the moon singing a tune…La Rein, La Rein, La Rein…Is she divine? Is it the wine? La Rein, La Rein, La Rein…I don’t know, don’t know, so don’t ask me why…That’s how we are, La Rein and I…

“I don’t know, don’t know, so don’t ask me why…That’s how we are, La Rein and I…I don’t know, don’t know, so don’t ask me why…That’s how we are, La Rein and I…That’s how we are, La Rein and I…”

Mischief melted at the sweetness of his beloved’s voice and started to walk towards her to comment on her beautiful singing.

However, Silver managed to reach her first and he said, “My dear, what an astounding voice you have. It could make the heavens move at your command.”

Flurry smiled and said, “Thank you, Silver.”

Silver then walked towards Mischief with a smug look on his face and told him, “First lesson of courtship: be swift or someone else will grab your mare.”

Mischief felt threatened by this and retorted, “Why would they? We’re engaged.”

Silver answered, “Oh, things change, my good stallion. Oh, wait. Or is it pony/beast hybrid?” Anger started to rise in Mischief’s chest, but even as he kept it at bay, Silver taunted when he saw the agitated look on his face, “Careful, now. You don’t want to go animal on me and prove to the princess just what kind of a monster you are, do you?”

As much as Silver’s words infuriated him, two other emotions rose to meet Mischief’s boiling anger: shame and fear. Shame of having a more animal side to him, and fear of what Flurry and his friends would think of him if they saw it.

As soon as Silver saw Mischief’s angered face melt into defeat, the unicorn smirked, “I thought so. But know this: even if you don’t go animal, you still lose your princess because – to put it plainly - you’re just not princely material.”

Those words both stung Mischief and irked him.

“Oh, one more thing: let’s keep our little chat between us, shall we? Let it not be known that the Guardian of Empathy accused a prince of hurting his feelings.” He walked away to turn in for the night.

Mischief was at a loss. He wanted to tell Flurry and the others about what Silver was really like, but what if Silver was right and he was just overreacting? He kicked some cloud in agitation before lying down on his stomach. He crossed his arms and laid his head on them. With so many things bouncing around in his head, Mischief looked up at the starry night sky to try to calm the storm in his mind. Then, a heartfelt wish that was silent for the last four years resurfaced again.

Mom, Dad, I need you. I feel so alone and I don’t know what to do. Please guide me.

Author's Note:

I think I stumped people with my question from the last chapter. Here’s who I based the Monarchs on: Queen Moon Butterfly and King River Butterfly from Star vs. the Forces of Evil.
My sister insisted that I put in the helium scene from Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, much to my chagrin. Turned out pretty well, actually.
The song in this chapter is a slightly-tweaked version of “La Seine and I” (Lucille’s solo) from A Monster in Paris.