• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 1,143 Views, 148 Comments

A World Above - KidatHeart5



8th installment of the "Royal Canterlot Family" series. Based on "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "The Pied Piper". A wedding is underway, but when children get kidnapped and a war threatens to erupt, a giant cloud in the sky may hold some answers.

  • ...
2
 148
 1,143

Nightfall

“So I’m to assume that you two are engaged, is that correct?” Silver Tongue asked as he and some of the other adults were eating their supper in the dining room. Skater and Roller were in the kitchen managing the children because Silver had insisted the kids had to eat their dinner in a separate room.

Mischief nodded as he and Flurry held hooves, “That’s right. We’re going to get married as soon as we leave Paraddock.”

“That soon? How long have you been engaged?”

Flurry replied, “Months now, but we’ve known each other for four years.”

Silver leaned forward and said, “You don’t say? My parents were engaged for a few months before they got married. What a coincidence!”

Mischief, wanting to change the subject, mentioned, “You said you’ve been to Paraddock more than once and you have the means to do so. What kind of means?”

The prince answered, “I’ve never told anypony this except for my parents, but since most of you are royalty and you’ve found this place, I’m willing to let you in on my little secret. There’s a grove filled with special trees not far from here. They grow magical stars that can grant three wishes apiece. I use those stars to create my chateau and travel to Paraddock and back. I even have some stars stored in my chateau for emergencies. But I must confess: I need your help, Guardians.”

Apple Butter asked, “What is it?”

“I usually harvest more wishing stars when my supply runs low, but lately, there have been fewer stars to harvest. It’s as if the trees are dying somehow. There’s only a small amount of stars left now.”

Blaze suggested, “Maybe you’re harvesting too many stars.”

Nova shook her head, “No. I think this has to do with what’s happening to Paraddock. If we can find the Crystal Fairies or maybe even the one who created this world, then perhaps we can restore Paraddock to its former glory and get the trees growing wishing stars again.”

Silver smiled broadly, “Excellent! Then I shall accompany you on your quest. I happen to be highly-skilled when it comes to words. That’s how I got my cutie mark.”

At that moment, Roller stepped inside the room and said, “Hey, Silver? Looks like some more cold turkeys got into your garden.”

Silver said, “What?! Not again!” He jumped out of his seat and raced past Roller. After a few moments, the guests saw the unicorn chasing the turkeys with a broom just outside the dining room windows. They heard him shouting in a muffled voice, “Oy! Get out of my garden, you freaks of nature! I said, get! Don’t make me break out the hose again!”

Blaze smirked, “Would you look at that? Dinner and a show.”


“Ah, here they are! The last of my honored guests!” Gladmane said cheerfully as Whirl, his family, and Foxhelm approached the crowded table at the dinner theater. “So glad you made it here in time! The show’s about to start.” He faced Foxhelm and said with a smile, “You’re dismissed.”

The guard nodded and left the dinner theater.

As the Pegasi got seated, Gladmane said, “You are in for a real treat, my friends! I have some of the best acts in Equestria right here in Las Pegasus, not to mention the finest foods made by the best chefs in the world! Uh-huh-huh!”

As the royal guests dined on their supper, the curtains rose and Iron Will stepped into the spotlight. His loud, confident voice resonated throughout the theater via his microphone, “Filliiies and gentlecolts! Are you ready to have. The best. Night. Of. Your. Life?!”

The audience shouted as they raised their hooves, “Yeah!”

“I can’t hear you!”

“YEAH!!!”

“NO!!! You ain’t! None of you are prepared for the dazzling and spectacular show we have planned for tonight! This is a very special night, ‘cuz if you look in the king’s box behind you, you’ll see the special guests sitting with him! Why, they’re none other than members of Canterlot’s own royal familyyy!”

As the crowd cheered in excitement, Gale whined while covering her ears, “He’s too loud, Mommy.”

Whirl remarked, “If you ask me, he should be a ring announcer for professional boxing or wrestling tournaments.”

The other royals chuckled at this.

Gladmane praised, “That’s a good joke, Whirl. I like it.”

Iron Will continued, “And to make it special, this one-night-only performance will be just for them and you! So get ready for the most amazing, astounding, never-before-seen stunts by the awe-inspiring ponies of Poneeet Fantastiiique!”

As he stepped off the stage, multicolored rays of lights flickered to the synthesized music playing. After a few moments, a group of trapeze artists and acrobats either walked onto the stage or were lifted down via trapeze bars. The audience gasped and uttered sounds of awe as the performers did their impressive stunts and moves. Even the royal guests clapped and cheered at this.

Discord, on the other hand, couldn’t focus entirely on the act. His eyes flickered from the show to his plate to the amulet and back again, sometimes in mixed order. Admittedly, he spent more time fixed on Gladmane’s necklace than on the show or his food. He knew there was something there, but what?

When the draconequus’s eyes flickered to the stage and performers again, Gladmane asked, “Is something troublin’ you, Your Wonderful-ness?”

Discord answered, eyes on Gladmane as he spoke, “Oh, I was just thinking about my poor dear grandson.” He fanned his claw near his face to make it seem like he was trying not to cry. “He’s so far away from his family and I miss him ever so much.” He pressed his paw to his chest and gave a sniffle to sound convincing. He then said in his normal inquisitive voice, “By the way, where did you get that lovely necklace? I’d like to get one for my dear sweet Fluttershy when she returns from Maris.”

Gladmane put a hoof to his amulet and chuckled, “Oh, this baby? Well, it has a long and interestin’ story, but I don’t wanna distract you from watchin’ the show, so just sit back and relax. I promise you, Ponet Fantastique does not disappoint.”

Though he tried not to show it, Discord was irritated that Gladmane deflected his question like that, whether deliberately or not. He knew he couldn’t ask again lest the king should suspect his interest in the amulet. The lord of chaos had to keep his intentions a secret so Gladmane would be none the wiser. When he tried to focus on the show to avoid raising suspicion, the brief silhouette in the amulet appeared again, catching his eye for about two seconds. It was as if it was trying to tell him not to give up so soon. At that moment, Discord knew he had to solve the mystery before the visit was over, no matter what it took.

After the Amazing Roar Horn and Sprigfield finished their animal act, the audience clapped as the lights brightened the theater. Iron Will stepped onto the stage again and announced to everyone, “Did I say it would be an unforgettable night or did I say it would be an unforgettable night? Hold on to your hats and horseshoes, because I have one last announcement from King Gladmane himself!”

Gladmane whispered with a grin, “Here it comes…”

“Two nights from now, the king of Las Pegasus will host a ball in honor of the visiting royals and you’re all invited!”

Confetti suddenly shot into the air from all directions and many fancy tickets floated down with the colored bits of paper. The audience cheered in ecstasy and immediately reached out for a ticket.

“There’s no need for a quarrel when there are tickets for all! The king and his important guests look forward to seeing every one of you at the ball, so look your best and don’t skip the party!”


Skyla asked as she and the others walked down the glamorous hallways, “A ball? You never told us about a ball held in our honor.”

Gladmane suavely admitted, “It was my best-kept secret, Princess. I mean, you can’t honestly expect that I wouldn’t throw a party just for you. Y’all are too famous not to be treated well by your host and the people of this fair kingdom.”

Asher mentioned, “You know, you’ve been doing all this just for us. I mean, the parade, the dinner theater, and now the ball. Not to sound ungrateful, but what gives?”

The king answered, “Well, young prince, everyone knows that when a royal or even a whole family of ‘em visits a neighboring kingdom, the host has gotta do everything to make sure the visit goes well. Hay, even a good impression would do the hosting kingdom some good. It could lead to a boost in reputation, connections, and maybe even an alliance. But that’s just my opinion. I wanna make sure y’all enjoy your stay here until ya hafta leave again.”

Starling said, “We’ll stay only as long as we need to create a plan to stop Dandy.”

Gladmane nodded, “Why, of course, of course, Crown Princess! I wouldn’t shirk from my duties as king, now would I? Y’all get some rest now. Tomorrow’s a big day. Lots of plannin’ and brainstormin’ to do. Well, g’night.”

As Discord went to his guest room, he grumbled about missing another opportunity to ask about the necklace.


After they had supper with Feather Bangs and his young family, the girls and their husbands walked behind an escort down the lavish hallways of the Palace of Versaddles.

Rarity smiled, “Oh, the dinner was simply divine!”

Fancy agreed, “Quite!”

Pinkie chattered, “I can’t remember eating that much good food in so long! Oh, wait. We had the pre-wedding dinner a few nights ago!”

The adults giggled at Pinkie’s silliness.

Spike smiled in amusement, “Yes, Pinkie. We did.”

Applejack asked, “Don’t ya think we should turn in now so we can leave for Dandy’s chateau first thing in the morning?”

Rarity nodded, “We must. It is of absolute importance that we speak to him about the Dark Rider matter.”

Sunset put her hoof to her chin as she said, “Especially if Feather Bangs mentioned an attack that happened in Maris a few months ago. It’s really strange considering-“

The escort interrupted as he stopped, “We’re here, Your Highnesses. Ring the bells on your walls if you need anything. Good night.”

When the pony left, Sunset continued, “Considering the Riders left Prance’s crest at the Crystal Empire. As far as Feather’s concerned, he’s not aware of any wrongful activities his uncle might be up to.”

Timber said, “Well, there’s only one way to find out: talk to the stallion himself.”

Fancy nodded, “Indeed. And if he’s still touchy about his abdication, Rarity and I will be the most suitable ponies for the job. We know how to strike up a conversation without provocation.”

Rainbow said, “Yeah, it’s definitely a good thing you two will be talking to Dandy. With your fancy words, you’ll be chumming up to him in no time.”


In one of the guest rooms Silver Tongue offered his guests, Flurry brushed her mane as Mischief sat on his bed with his head down in contemplation.

He looked up at his beloved and asked, “Flurry, what do you think of Silver Tongue?”

The alicorn answered, “I think he’s courteous and hospitable…Okay, forcing the kids to eat in the kitchen and leaving the badger outside wasn’t exactly hospitable. But other than that…”

“He’s princely material?”

“Well, if by ‘princely’ you mean having good etiquette and being well-groomed, then yes.”

“But?”

“His behavior could be better. From what I can tell, some of what he said indicates he probably has the same attitude his dad does.”

Her fiancé said with an undertone of disdain in his voice, “If what I’ve heard about Blueblood is true, then Silver Tongue must take some traits from him.”

“Let’s not assume too much about him right now. We should just give him a benefit of a doubt unless we’re wrong and he is like his dad. Right now, we should rest up. It’s been a long day.” She gave him a kiss on the lips and said, “Good night, honey.”

Mischief said with a playful smile, “Isn’t it a bit early to call me ‘honey’? We’re not married yet.”

Flurry shrugged as she got onto her bed, “Hey, it’s never too early when you’re engaged.”

He said as he lied down on his bed, “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

With a green aura enveloping his antlers, Mischief turned off the lights.