• Published 18th Jun 2017
  • 1,143 Views, 148 Comments

A World Above - KidatHeart5



8th installment of the "Royal Canterlot Family" series. Based on "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "The Pied Piper". A wedding is underway, but when children get kidnapped and a war threatens to erupt, a giant cloud in the sky may hold some answers.

  • ...
2
 148
 1,143

Revelations

Skyla had no magic to simply teleport herself out of the bag, so she waited to see where the Dark Riders would take her.

After several minutes of waiting as the soldiers ran, a voice outside the bag ordered, “Follow me.”

Skyla felt her captors turn slightly to the left before they ran for another minute.

The voice then commanded, “Stop!”

The bag shifted as the Riders stopped.

“Leave her here. I wish to speak to her alone.”

Skyla felt the ground press against the bottom of the bag and saw the fuzzy magic auras outside the bag disappear. After she heard the hoofsteps of the two Riders fade away, the tied-up part of the bag began to fidget. Now was her chance to get even with her captor and prove she was more than just a pretty princess. As soon as the bag opened to reveal the helmeted figure, she punched him. Admittedly, it hurt when she did that, but she felt it was worth it.

As he recovered from the punch, Skyla slipped out of the bag as she rebuked, “First you scare innocent citizens and now you kidnap me?! Why are you doing this?!”

The leader grunted and shook his head before he said, “Believe me, there’s more to the story than you know.”

“All right. If there is, then answer me this: why did you kidnap me when you’ve never kidnapped anyone before?”

He hung his helmeted head, “We were ordered to kidnap someone at the party. I chose you because…you know me.”

Magic engulfed his antlers and then his helmet. The headpiece unhinged itself from the head of its wearer and settled on the ground where the magic enveloping it died. Skyla’s heart skipped a beat when the leader revealed himself to be a deer. When he opened his eyes, that’s when she knew. She recognized those brilliant gamboge eyes anywhere.

“Blackthorn?” she asked in astonishment. “You’re a Dark Rider?”

He nodded ashamedly, “Yes. And so are my deer brethren. We never wanted to be a part of this, but we’re forced to.”

“By who?”

He waved his hoof, “Their name isn’t important right now. The point is I chose to kidnap you because of all the ponies in the world, you were the only one I could trust. Well, I could count Gale Force, but she’s too young to understand.”

Skyla furrowed her brow, “Why can’t other ponies be trusted? If you’re forced to do this, then they should know.”

“They won’t understand. They know what we’ve done. They know who we are. They won’t forgive us even if we ask for it.”

Skyla realized something. “Wait. Did you say ponies know who you are?”

Blackthorn nodded, “Yes. Frankly, I was surprised to learn that you and Gale Force wanted to be my friends.”

“But, Blackthorn, nopony knows who the Dark Riders are. They’ve been trying to figure that out ever since the scares began.”

His eyes widened in surprise, “What? But Gladmane told us…” He then came to a revelation and his eyes slit in anger. “He’s deceived us. All of us!”

“Is Gladmane the one who’s making you moonlight as Dark Riders?”

He answered, “Yes! He was the one who gave us this armor and told us to scare whichever kingdom he sends us. He’s never told us why.”

Skyla proposed, “I think I might know. Ever since we arrived in Las Pegasus, Gladmane’s been talking about alliances and war. I wonder if he’s sending you and your comrades to neighboring kingdoms just to create tensions between them when their children go missing.”

“Of course! That’s why he always had us leave the crests of other kingdoms! It was so they could be framed! Wait a minute. There’s something else, too. A while ago, one of my comrades overheard Gladmane’s most trusted attendants saying something about the king forging an alliance with Prance.”

“But if that’s true, then why did he send you to scare Prance? Unless the negotiations fell through.”

“That would explain why he only targeted certain kingdoms. If he couldn’t have them, then…”

“They would destroy each other!”

“But what about the alliances he does make?”

“If anything, they would cushion him from the effects of war if conflict breaks out, and he would have connections with powerful rulers.”

He scowled, “I never did trust Gladmane the moment he wished us into his kingdom. We wanted to leave, but he then placed a powerful curse on us: we have to do whatever he orders of us, no matter what.”

“That’s terrible.”

“It is. But you know? He may tell us what to do, but not what to think.” He then proceeded to take off his black armor. “And I think a little retaliation seems like a fine idea right now.”

“Now, hold on. Even if you and your brethren do retaliate against Gladmane, he’ll still have control over you. Also, it will be his word against yours to the rest of the kingdom. I suggest you wait for the time being until we can get the curse off you and we have proof Gladmane’s up to no good.”

He then smiled and took her hoof, “As you wish, Your Highness.” When he kissed it, Skyla felt her heart quicken and her face blush. “There’s something else I want to tell you.”

The princess asked, “Yes?”

“Thank you for coming into my life.”


After the party, the guests left and the royals waited in the foyer for word on Skyla. Gladmane, on the other hand, went to his throne room with his two attendants.

The king smiled wickedly, “Yes! Everything is going according to my plan! Once my remaining deer guards ‘rescue’ the princess, the Canterlot royals will be so grateful that they’ll immediately forge an alliance with me! Soon, I’ll have Equestria’s most powerful family by my side as the other kingdoms who denied me will bring themselves to ruin! And once the war is over, I’ll swoop right in and help them regain their prosperity…under my control! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Why, I’m so giddy, I could sing about it! Jack Pot?”

On cue, Jack Pot conjured up a piano and began to play an ominous sort of tune.

Gladmane sang, “I’ve been kindly, I’ve been kingly…I’ve used all my tricks and charms…After many years, I’m not prepared to lose…But tonight, I claim victory…Their reluctance I’ve disarmed…It had to happen, so how could I refuse?

“They will see me as a ‘hero’ who has such a mighty wealth…and what better ally could a ruler choose? I’m the helper who will help them…bring the kingdoms back to health…and I’ll wear the crown…for how could I refuse? Raise every glass and rouse every cheer…Praise that the reign of King Gladmane is here! Master in charge of all that I see…All…hail…me!

“And by allying with the queen, I get all that I desire…like trademarks, wide connections, and mountain views…Even though she treats me coldly, it’s a sign of inner fire…for inside, she’s thinking ‘How can I refuse?’”

Jack Pot stopped playing and sheepishly mentioned, “Yes, except for this one little problem, boss.”

King boss to you.”

“Yes, well. It seems that the queen has chosen not to forge an alliance…with you.”

This shocked and angered Gladmane. “What?! After everything I’ve done for her family?! Who does she think she is?!”

Big Bucks asked, “Uh, the queen?”

“You simpering simpleton!”

“But she is the queen. She’s got a crown and scepter and sits in every fancy chair –“

“Silencio!” Gladmane resumed singing, “No! I won’t let go! This peasant’s son won’t turn and run because some reckless royal thinks that I’m a foe!”

At that moment, a horrid idea came into his head. “Ah…It’s…a…temporary setback…It’s a momentary loss…but conveniently, my ego doesn’t bruise…And the moment they turn their backs, I will show them who’s the boss…You can bet your bullion they will stand to lose…

“Yes, suppose Canterlot ‘gets robbed’, so the nobles go to war…Then the royals cave in at the dreadful news…Then the queen will be so desperate that she’ll give the throne and more…and I’ll humbly tell her ‘How can I refuse?’”

Big Bucks chimed, “Yeah!”

“When the war’s finally over, I will rise and take the throne…and that queen Twilight Sparkle can kiss my shoes! For all of those mighty kingdoms will be mine and mine alone…If the crown should fit, then how can I refuse?”

Gladmane and his two attendants sang as they danced, “So get ready with the Riders and stand by with the armor…When you’ve got a brilliant plan, you never lose…Yes, before this chapter closes, I’ll be bigger than they were…It’s a thankless job, but how can I refuse? How…can…I…refuse?”

The king then gave an evil laugh.


The adults on Paraddock watched through the Eye as Skyla and Blackthorn – who was unarmored like the rest of the deer who had been Dark Riders – were escorted by the remaining deer guard back to the palace.

While Skyla and Blackthorn walked to the foyer, Roller shook his head, “I can’t believe it. All this time. Gladmane was the mastermind all this time.”

Skater scowled, “I knew he couldn’t be trusted. There was something fishy about him.”

Blaze then said, “And we got it straight from the horse’s - er, I mean, deer’s mouth.”

Flurry teased, “Somehow, he wouldn’t have spilled his secrets if it weren’t for a special somepony…”

Mischief asked, “Wait, are you suggesting he’s in love with Skyla?”

“And maybe vice versa. I saw that look on her face when he kissed her hoof. It’s love.”

Blaze said, “Yeah, too bad we had to miss the romance-building…again.”

Nova told him, “It’s just as well that we missed Skyla’s first steps into romance like we missed Flurry Heart’s.”

Apple Butter joked, “After all, a watched flower bud never blooms.”

She and her friends chuckled at that. Their attention was then caught by the sound of shouts coming from the Eye. They turned to see Skyla reuniting with the other family members. The group in the mirror asked the princess many questions before she held her hoof up to quiet them.

Skyla then said with a smile, “I know, I know. I’m glad to see you, too. I’ve discovered something you all should know, but first, I’d like you to meet someone.” She gestured towards Blackthorn, “Everyone, this is Blackthorn, captain of the deer guard. Blackthorn, this is part of my extended family.”

Blackthorn then approached the family members and bowed, “It’s an honor to meet you all…”

Suddenly, the image on the mirror contorted and stretched until it vanished.

Steven fretted as he grasped his head in panic, “Oh, no! The Eye has gone out! The crisis is getting worse! Soon, there will be nothing left of Paraddock but a small patch of cloud in the sky!”

As the sea serpent wailed, Skater told the others, “We need to find Capricia now!”

Blaze gestured to the mirror, “But the Eye was our only hope of finding her at this point!”

Steven continued to bawl, “Oh, don’t bother using the Eye! I’ve tried and tried and tried! It couldn’t find her or her chaos magic anywhere!”

This gave Mischief an idea. “Guys, remember when I revived the fairies’ Crystal Heart to a small degree?”

Sky Stinger asked with a raised brow, “What are you getting at?”

“If Paraddock runs on chaos magic, maybe I can use my chaos magic on the Eye to find Capri.”

Steven gasped in delight, “Oh, Mischief, that is brilliant!”

Flurry held his hoof as she said, “And I’ll use my magic to help increase our chances.”

Mischief tightened her hoof as he asked, “Okay, ready?”

She nodded in response.

The couple aimed their magic at the bejeweled eye as they chanted, “Find Capricia! Find Capricia! Find Capricia!”

To everyone’s surprise, the mirror flashed brightly, blinding everyone for a short moment. When they regained their sight, an almost-still image played on the surface. There, against a deep red background, was a transparent figure of a female draconequus!

Steven squealed, “CAPRI! It’s really Capri! We found her!”

She was in a pose akin to being suspended in mid-air. Although it was difficult to see her features clearly, they were still somewhat visible to make out. She had what seemed to be a shorter muzzle and dark maroon hair in a bob, although one side was shorter than the other. She also had a cream head with a brown body and various limbs and appendages from different animals.

Flurry said cautiously, “Yes, but we don’t know exactly where she is.”

Blaze added, “Or how long she’s going to hold out.”

They saw that along with being limp, her fur-covered chest was heaving and her eyes were closed, all of which indicated she was not doing well.

Skater realized, “This must be why the chaos magic is fading. She’s fading!”

Steven fussed, “NO! Not Capri! Not my best friend Capri! We’ve got to find her!”

Nova asked, “But where?! Even if we had the compass working, where on Earth could we possibly find one fading chaos spirit?”

As Nova was talking to Steven, Flurry studied Capri’s surroundings and noticed a small detail. “I think I found something.” She gestured to the shimmering edges of the redness. “See that? I recognize this from the crystals in the Empire.”

Nova facehoofed in realization, “Of course! They’re facets! Which means Capricia must be in a gemstone!”

Roller said, “But which gemstone? There must be millions of them!”

Mischief said as he remembered something, “Wait a minute. I think I remember something the night the Dark Riders – er, deer were sent to scare us. When Gladmane arrived, I could’ve sworn I saw something in his amulet. I think it was Capricia!”

Blaze surmised, “Then that would explain why the Cutie Map sent Discord to Las Pegasus: to free Capri!”

Another flash of light from the mirror followed and only the adults’ reflections remained on the glass now. The jewel in the eye ornament was now a faded version of itself.

Roller said, “Well, the Eye is now totally busted.”

Steven fretted, “What do we do now?”

Flurry calmly answered, “We wait. There’s nothing we can do at this point. We have to trust that Discord will free Capri and help her restore Paraddock.”

Mischief added worriedly, “I hope he gets to her in time.”

Steven then fainted into the water, causing a wave to splash on the adults, much to their chagrin.