• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventures Of Henry Hoof In Equestria - destinedjagold



a sequel of my first MLP: FiM fanfic (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34650/Changeling---Henry-Hoof)

  • ...
1
 20
 1,435

Chapter 06 - The Blue Sea

Chapter 6 - The Blue Sea

After arriving in PonyVille, Henry and Midnight went straight to the library.
Aurora was busy cleaning the books when they got there.
After a small introduction (and some flirting from the unicorn), they went up to the library's second floor.

Henry and Midnight cleaned the spare room inside the library's second floor.
Midnight was happy with the room. He didn't mind some of the library's old stuff inside.
There's still plenty of room for his convenience.
Now, all they need is a bed, but Midnight convinced him that he's okay without having a bed.
He plans on using some of the empty cardboard boxes as his bed.
Henry didn't like the idea, so he will buy him a bed sooner or later.

He left the unicorn alone to settle down.
Aurora didn't like the unicorn. Henry just tells her to understand him.
He had a rough life.

Aurora also asked Henry about what she heard; about him being a changeling.
She told him that she made some research, and she started to grow some concern.
Midnight came out of the room as Henry assured both of them that they have nothing to worry about.
And, he showed them his true form.
Midnight finds it awesome, to Aurora and Henry's annoyance.
Aurora also tells him that the ponies told her not to worry, so she felt a bit okay.
They both ignored Midnight's rumble about how cool Henry is.

Since Aurora didn't like to give the unicorn a tour of the town, Henry did it instead.
Midnight met the friendly faces of ponies in town, and he was not really used to this kind of atmosphere.
Smiles were everywhere.

Well, Manehattan also had smiley faces, but those were dirty smiles.
Here, the smiles are, heartwarming.
It's going to take him a while to get used to it.

Midnight is also trying to look for a job.
They reached the town hall, where Midnight was able to look at the nearby bulletin board.
Pieces of paper were stuck on the board, and he put all of his focus on the Job Hiring list.
He scanned the whole paper and found a job that he thinks he can do well; a mailpony.

Henry suggested that he should apply as the town hall's accountant, but Midnight's not confident with his math skills.

They went to the post office, and the unicorn got the job.
He couldn't hold is excitement, so he kept on screaming as soon as they got out of the establishment, catching a little pink filly's attention.
The stallion's parade went to a halt after he saw the filly gasped and disappeared in thin air.

They then went to Henry's house, where the first thing they noticed was the barrel, full of letters.
Midnight arched an eyebrow, while Henry laughed weakly.
He let the unicorn inside, since he needed a shower.

Little Rarity happened to walk by, and noticed the green alicorn pushing the barrel inside his house.
Calling his attention as she approached him, she handed him an invitation letter.

After opening it, he read the contents.
He is invited to join the school's summer beach activity in Seasaddle Beach.
It was the school's annual event of saying goodbye to summer, weeks before the Running of the Leaves.

Goodbye summer?
Henry liked the idea.
Plus, it will be held this Sunday.

Seasaddle Beach it is.

----------
1. Beach Day
----------

The Sunday morning sky was blue, clear of clouds, and extremely hot.

A group of fillies, led by Cheerilee and Henry Hoof, are hiking through forested hills to reach Seasaddle Beach.
Some of the fillies' parents joined as well.
Aurora and Midnight also came along. Both were arguing a bit, like brother and sister.

It was only three hills away from PonyVille.
Henry was forcing himself to smile, holding his inner anger from this heat.
Cheerilee only gave him an apologetic smile.

And after they reached the end of the third hill, they were immediately greeted by the fresh salty breeze from the sandy beach a few hooves away.
The fillies smiled at the beautiful sea right in front of their eyes.

From all their walking, the sea is really looking as if its inviting them.

They continued to walk until they reached the sandy beach.
Cheerilee turned to face her students, which were twelve in total.

While Cheerilee gave them a few instructions and reminders about safety and precautions, Henry immediately took the blue umbrella he was carrying and set it up on the sand, only to be blown back to the forest by the strong wind.

"Darn it..." he whispered.

"I'll get it!"
Aurora shouted as she flapped her wings to chase the umbrella.

The fillies giggled from the event.

Midnight puts their picnic basket on the sand.
"You're looking really irritated..."
He said with concern.

"Thank you for noticing..."
Henry hissed.
"Sorry... It's just this heat. I hate the heat..."

Midnight laughed a bit as Aurora landed near them with the folded umbrella.

"But, I think I'm going to be fine now."
Henry looked at the calm sea.
He's still feeling irritated, but, it's starting to fade.

Aurora was setting the umbrella while the fillies already ran to the water, swimming and splashing each other.
Midnight looked around until he saw the little Pinkie Pie doing something with her party cannon.

"Er..."
Midnight started.
"I'm gonna try and stop that pink filly from...whatever she's planning to do."

He remembered the whole library became a disco house when he came back after taking a shower in the alicorn's home.
It was all thanks to that pink filly, with her party cannon.

He gulped as he approached the filly.

"That won't end well."
Aurora chuckled.

A few hooves from the shore, Big Macintosh was busy building a sand castle with his sister Applejack.
A few hooves from them were three fillies, also making their own sand castle.
The other fillies were swimming in the sea.
Cheerilee was busy talking to some of the fillies' parents.

Pinkie Pie went inside the mouth of the cannon as soon as Midnight reached her.
"Pinkie..." he lowered himself a bit to see the darkness inside the mouth of the cannon.
He could hear some metal pounding sounds echoing from inside.
"...what the hay are you doing?"

"Oh, hi Midnight."
Pinkie's voice echoed with the pounding sound.
"I'm fixing my cannon, duh~"

Midnight could sense her rolling her eyes.
"Pinkie, get outta there."
And he puts his head inside to try and pull her out, but he got stuck when he's about to insert his shoulders inside.
"Gah... Darn it..." he whispered.

"Hey~!"
Pinkie's loud voice echoed to Midnight's ears, which irritated him.
"Where'd the sun go~?"

"Pinkie, stop yelling!"
Now, Midnight's own voice irritated him.

"I can't see a thing in here... Oh! I know!"
Midnight could hear Pinkie brushing her cottoncandy-like mane.
"Where's that matchstick..."

Midnight's eyes went wide from horror.
"Pinkie! Don't you dare---!"

Scccrrraaatttccchhh...

Suddenly, everypony heard a loud explosion. All eyes looked to the source, and all they saw was a pink cannon, it's mouth was smoking.
Suddenly, they heard a huge splash a few hooves away from the shore.

Pinkie Pie came out first, and then she was lifted further up.
Midnight gasped for air as the little pink filly cheerfully slides to his back from his head.
He then gave her an angry look.

"Oopsie..."
She giggled.

The others laughed.

"Can I join them?"
Aurora asked the alicorn.

"Of course you can."
Henry replied.

Aurora then flapped her wings and flew above the unicorn, and immediately retracted her wings.
"Cannonball!"
She shouted, where Midnight was able to panicly swim away in time before she could land on him.

Midnight gave her an angry look as well.
Both Pinkie and Aurora laughed.

"I hate you two..."
Midnight whispered.

"Aw..."
Pinkie hugged the unicorn's neck.
"We love you too, Midnight!"

Aurora laughed as Midnight tried to get the pink filly off of him.
She then turned to the sandy beach, and saw her green alicorn uncle writing on his notebook.
The sight saddened her, and then an idea.
She called Midnight's attention, and whispered something on his ear.
Midnight's curious look turned into an evil grin.

Henry took a look at Midnight and Aurora, only to witness the pegasus trying to stand on the unicorn's head, allowing her to take flight.
Aurora swiftly flew above the water, talking to some unicorn fillies enjoying their swim.
He smiled as he returned his gaze on his notebook, writing some notes.
He felt like he already had enough notes to start coming up with a story for the second Daring Do book, but a few more couldn't hurt.
Maybe he could even make Daring Do enjoy a summer beach vacation at the end.
After all her adventures, she could use some relaxation.
The second book's going to be easy to write with all---

Henry suddenly noticed a heavy sensation.
He tore his gaze away from his notebook and looked around, only to see himself surrounded by Midnight, little Rarity, and other unicorn fillies, all wearing sinister grins.
Henry gulped, and then gave a weak chuckle.
"H-hey guys... Wh-what's going on?"
A sweat ran down from his head.

The unicorns' horns glowed, all their magic focused on the green alicorn, lifting him up in the air.
Henry struggled to set himself free, but he couldn't. The sudden weird event made him lose his focus on his quill and notebook, and his hat fell off of him from his struggle.
What is happening to these ponies?
Should he try and defend himself?
No, he could hurt them!
Maybe using his pupp---

Henry was tossed to the sea.
Still enveloped in magic, he couldn't open his wings to fly.
He simply closed his eyes, and just before he lands on the water, the magic around him vanished.
Sensing it, he immediately opened his wings to---

Splash.

The unicorns cheered as Aurora flew above them, cheering as well.

Henry was still underwater.
Those ponies...
He smiled. What on earth was he thinking?

Facing the ocean floor, he opened his eyes to see, a blur.
Oh, his glasses fell off.
His horn glowed for him to sense where his glasses landed.
Out of all the sandy blur, he spotted his brown blurry magic on a blue blurry thing on the sand.
He couldn't lift his glasses back. It must be stuck.

He swam down to the sea floor, and after putting his hooves on the floor in front of his glasses, he discovered that his glasses were on this blue blur thing sticking out of the sandy floor.
He'll need air soon, so he didn't bother figuring out what it was.
He was about to extend his hoof to grab his glasses when the glasses itself worked its way to his face.
Startled, he allowed his glasses to land on his face.
Now that his vision became clear, he can now clearly see the blue blur is a...

He was really surprised to see what he saw, making him lose a few air inside him.
He quickly swam back to the surface to get away from the blue thing and to give himself air.

"GAH!"
Henry gasped as he got his head out of the water.

"Uncle! You scared us to death!"

He saw Aurora flying above him, looking worried.
Midnight, after spotting him, started to swim towards him.

"I'm fine..."
He managed to say after coughing some water out of his mouth.
"My glasses fell off..."

"You okay Henry?"
Midnight asked after reaching him.

Henry simply nodded.

Midnight and Aurora looked at each other, both their worried expressions turned into light chuckles.
Henry flashed a weak smile.
Though he kept on trying to make sense of what he saw down there.

He went down again for him to see the sea floor.
With his glasses on, he got a clear view of...the sea floor.

Nothing out of the ordinary.
The blue thing was no longer there.

The blue pony with a fish-like tail was no longer there...

----------
2. Ocean's Pearl
----------

Midnight, Aurora and Henry both sat on the sandy beach under their blue umbrella, enjoying some sandwiches for lunch.
The unicorn and the pegasus were talking about something while Henry was busy sketching the blue pony on his notebook, while taking a few bites on his sandwich.

And he draw that pony pretty well, despite only managing to land a glimpse on him...or her...

His notebook suddenly hovered away from him, and stopped in front of Midnight with his magic.
Henry felt a bit annoyed, but he let him be.
Aurora leaned to Midnight's head to have a closer look.

"A maremaid?"
Midnight chuckled.
"You're going to add maremaids in the next book?"

To Henry, that's a perfect excuse to why he drew that.
He grinned, "Why should I answer that? I don't want to spoil any of my readers."

"It's a really good drawing..."
Aurora slowly said, taking the notebook to her hooves, breaking Midnight's magic grip on it, which gave him a little headache.

"Don't do that...!" He hissed.
But the pegasus ignored him.

"It looks so real!"
She exclaimed.

"Oh please..."
Midnight rolled his eyes.
"Maremaids aren't real. They're just make-believe!"

Aurora looked at him angrily.
"Oh, what do you know?"
And she angrily stuck her tongue at him.

Both opened their mouths, ready to fire words at each other, but sandwiches suddenly stuffed their mouths.
Henry chuckled as he levitated his notebook to him.
The alicorn received two annoyed looks.

Both decided to go back to eating.

Henry looked at his maremaid drawing.
He was sure he was not hallucinating, or imagining things.
He did see one. But telling anypony about it would be a bad idea.
Who would believe him? Aurora, maybe, but...

He sighed as he stood up.
"I'm going to take a walk."
With his glasses, and notebook returned in his sidebag, he started walking, leaving Midnight and Aurora under the umbrella.
"Behave, you two."

Henry forgot his hat. Something's on his mind.
Both looked at each other, and from their looks, they could already communicate with each other.

'Should we follow him?'

'Yeah, we should.'

And they both nodded.

---

Henry was slowly walking on the sand where the sea waves could reach his hooves.
He's thinking about that blue maremaid.

He had to admit, he thought maremaids are only created in imaginative minds of ancient ponies a long time ago.
They have influenced the tides of history.
Creating stories of their voices could drown an entire ship.
Or creating illusions in the sea to fool a greedy heart.
Or they drown unlucky ponies to the bottom of the sea.

Even the fictional land of Atlantis was created, where the mythical sea ponies lived, but a catastrophe sunk their land to the bottom of the sea.
No evidence of such fiction, of course.

But Henry saw one of those sea ponies!
He could uncover so many things, if only he'll see him, or her, again.
He sighed. What would be the chances of that?

Their first meeting, and Henry already sent it an 'oh my goodness a sea pony get away from me you freak of nature' message...

He stopped, and slowly looked back.
Wow, he's already a bit far away from the others.
He didn't notice he already walked quite a distance.
He smiled, and continued to walk.
He could simply fly back there anyway.

A huge boulder was lying on the sand, where Midnight and Aurora hid themselves after they noticed the alicorn was about to look back.
The pegasus took a small peak, and after seeing the alicorn continued to walk, she informs the unicorn.

They need a safer way to follow the alicorn.
And Midnight had an idea.
He pointed his hoof on the edge of the forest.

---

Midnight and Aurora hid behind a bush in the forest's edge.
Taking a small peak, they both saw the green alicorn, simply sitting on the sand, allowing the calm sea waves reach his hind hooves and his tail.
The alicorn was simply staring at the blue horizon.

Henry was closing his eyes, simply feeling the soothing salty breeze.
The quiet melody of the sea was interrupted after the alicorn heard a faint splash sound.

He opened his eyes, and there, a few hooves in front of him was the blue pony.
Surprised, he quickly got back on his hooves and took a few steps back, mouth wide open in shock.

His action startled the blue pony, and immediately sank herself back to the water, only her eyes and a part of her head remained visible.

They remained in their current poses for a few minutes.
Henry shook his head, rubbed his eyes, and took a deep breath.
And...the blue pony was still there.
And...he's definitely not dreaming, or hallucinating, or imagining it.
That blue pony is actually there, well, it's head at least.

Henry opened his mouth, he wanted to apologize for startling the pony but...
Does it understand Equestrian language?
Well, according to the book about Atlantis, all language did came from them, so...

"Uh... H-hello...?"

He only received a blink.

"Uh, um... Hi? I ah um...sorry, if I scared you...earlier...if, that was you? I mean..."
'Now I talk like Fluttershy...'
He punched himself mentally.

Another blink.
But this time, the pony rose her head a bit.
Now, her mouth is visible, well, not really.
She's covering her mouth with her hoof, and she's...blushing?
Henry thought he was seeing things again, so he levitated his glasses as he rubbed his eyes.
Nope, he's definitely seeing it correctly.
Why is she blushing? Afraid? Shy?
He needs to say something...

"Um..."
He stopped. He just noticed the pony's ears resemble a fish fin.
"You have...nice ears?"
He punched himself mentally once again.

Surprisingly, the blue pony chuckled a bit.
"T-thank you..." she whispered.

Henry heard her voice. A very soothing, melodious, calm, lovely voice he has ever heard.
Wait... She can understand Equestrian! And she can talk!
A discovery! Should he write it down?
No, maybe he'll startle her.

"Muh...my name's Henry..."
'Why am I introducing myself?'
"What's your name?"
'And why the hay am I asking her name!?
He was about to punch himself mentally again when the blue pony removed her hoof from covering her mouth, revealing a very beautiful plus lovely smile.
Henry missed and punched his heart instead, and again, and again, like a drum.
His heart was pounding.
He has never seen such a lovely smile before.

"Pearl... I'm Ocean Pearl..."

Oh, her voice echoed inside Henry's head like crazy.
He's feeling hot around his face.
Wait...is he blushing?
He quickly shook his head, and gave a weak smile.
"P-p-Pearl... It's---"
Recalling some lines...
"---a lovely name..."
He mentally slapped himself for a cheesy line.

Pearl simply chuckled a bit.
"I've heard worse..."
And she slowly swam towards him.

Wait... She's approaching...
What should Henry do? Run? Fly?
Wait, why should he?
She's just a pony.
A sea pony, maybe?
A very cute sea pony...
Wait...cute?
Where did that word come from?

Pearl stopped a few hooves from him.
She sat on her fish-like tail.

Henry was able to have a good look at her.
She's as tall as a fully grown earth pony.
Her shiny blue fur. Her sexy figure.
Her beautiful scaly fish tail. Absent of hind hooves.
And a white pearl cutie mark on her fish-like tail.
Her long beautiful bluish-white mane, almost reaching her front hooves.
Those gorgeous black pupils---er---eyes.
Her soft lovely smile...
Wait...he's staring! He's staring!
It's impolite to stare!

Henry quickly turned his gaze away, cheeks blushing red-hot.
"S-sorry..."

Behind the bushes, Aurora and Midnight left their eyes and mouths wide open.

Pearl however, was saddened.
Is approaching him a bad idea?
He's looking away...
She tilted her head down, staring at her front hooves.

"I-I'm sorry..."
She slowly said.
Henry slowly returned his gaze back to her.
"I shouldn't...have...let you see me..."

Henry felt his heart broke from her sad voice.
Why is he feeling weird towards her anyway?
He never read anything like this before...maybe?
He needs to do some research.

"No, no... It's not your fault..."
'Well, it is really... You look lovely and all...'
"It's just...not polite to stare...I...think...?"

"Oh..."
She quickly looked at the alicorn straight in the eyes, instantly burning his cheeks.
"...is it?"

"Well uh..."
Henry, a well-read alicorn-disguised-changeling, has lost all words.

None of them knew how long it took them to keep on staring at each other's eyes.
A lovely smile appeared on the blue sea pony's face, while Henry kept a nervous look.

"Well... Staring is nice..."
She softly said.
"...I like you---'re eyes..."

She quickly tilted her head back to her hooves, blushing, and hoping the alicorn won't notice the slip.
Henry simply blinked. It made him feel easy a bit.
No one ever commented about his eyes like that before.
And strangely, it felt, good?

"T-thanks...?"
He scratched his nape while Pearl returned her gaze at him.
"So uh..." finally he was starting to recover.
"..." but his mind went blank again, just by staring at those lovely eyes of her.
"...uh...lovely day we're having, huh?"
Henry mentally slammed his face on a boulder.

Pearl looked at the sky, and Henry became breathless.
It was as if the world went slow.
The way she tilted her smiling face to the sky was...beyond magnicifent.
"It is..." she softly replied as she stared at the rolling puffy cloud above.
"I wonder...what clouds feel like..."

Oh, an idea!
Wait... Why would he---
"I could fly you there..."
Why would he offer---
"...if you like..."
'Why...?'

Pearl quickly looked at him, with an excited smile.
"Really? You'll do---"
But she then retracted herself, her gaze on her hooves.
"No... I shouldn't trouble you..." She slowly shook her head, disappointed.

Now she sounds and looks like Fluttershy, Henry thought.

"It's no trouble at all."
'I have no idea why I am saying all of these...'

Pearl looked at him with a smile.

----------
3. Ripples
----------

Aurora and Midnight watched as the green alicorn enveloped the blue sea pony with brown magic, and as soon as he flapped his wings to get himself airborne, he lifted the sea pony up in the air.
Soon, they both went high up, noticing the sea pony's nervousness.

Aurora was smiling, contrasting Midnight's frown.

"Aw... Aren't they sweet?"
Sang the pegasus.

Midnight rolled his eyes.
"I didn't know Henry was into this lovey-dovey stuff..."

"Unlike you..."
Aurora teased.

"Now what does that mean?"
Midnight asked, annoyed.

"You flirt every mare you meet!"

"Well, I can't help it if I meet a lovely mare!

Aurora then grinned as she land her gaze on him.
"So, I'm a lovely mare?"

Midnight blushed.
"N-n-ye-uh..."
He turned away.
"Hey, don't get the wrong idea, kid!"
Aurora chuckled.
"You're too young for my taste!"

"Yeah, but you flirted me..."
She teased, annoying the unicorn.
"Don't worry, when I'm older, I'll go out with you."
She sheepishly stuck her tongue at him.

Midnight, still blushing, gave her an annoyed look.
"When you're older...I'll be even older..."

"I'll still go out with you. Hahah."

"Now look who's flirting."
Midnight grinned.

Aurora slapped him on the face.

---

After noticing Pearl was really looking scared, Henry let her rest on his back, where she quickly wrapped her hooves around his neck, choking him in the process.
It helped the sea pony feel at ease, while Henry was burning up inside.
Assisted by his magic to carry the sea pony, he continued to fly up until they're near a puff of cloud.

All fear forgotten after seeing a cloud, she slowly extends one of her hoof to touch it, but her hoof went through.
The air is cold, but touching the cloud was even colder.

Satisfied of how a cloud would feel like, she returned her hoof to Henry's neck.
She smiled. She never knew a cloud would feel like that.
...she never knew this was how it feels like to have somepony like Henry.
She rested her head on Henry's nape, feeling his rough brown mane on her face.
"Would you catch me if I fall?"
She softly whispered.

"What? Of course... But..."

Pearl suddenly pushed herself away from the alicorn, landing her whole body on the puff cloud, and she simply went through the cloud, and was now heading straight back to earth.

"Pearl!"
Henry quickly flew down, and he retracted his wings, straighten his body to gain speed.
At least, that's what he read from the books.
And it's working. He's nearing the sea pony, who was simply smiling at him.

Henry grabbed the sea pony, and quickly opened his wings to stop their fall.
He then quickly used his magic to aid him from carrying the sea pony.
Now that they're safe in the air, Henry noticed that he wrapped his hooves under the sea pony's shoulder, their faces facing each other.
Both blushed deeply. Henry forgot the anger that grew inside him.
Taking this as a hug, she wrapped her hooves around him to return the hug, and intentionally locked his wings back.

Henry, though felt really good with the hug, was more worried that they're falling, literally.
"Pearl! What are---!"

He wasn't able to finish when Pearl landed her lips on the alicorn's.
Somehow, all of his worries melted away, and returned the kiss.
No experience in romance, they both let instinct take over, until they felt the water around them.

They slowly parted their lips, smiling at each other.
They then slowly swam up to the surface, and Henry gasped for air.
He then stared at the lovely face beside him.

"You...are crazy..."
He whispered with a smile.

Pearl chuckled.

---

Aurora and Midnight were still spying on the two ponies behind the bush.
Aurora was feeling envious at the scene, where the alicorn and the sea pony sat beside each other, both staring at the horizon.
Midnight was resting his head on one of his hoof, looking bored as he slowly ate some leaves of the bush.

Henry was now sure he's in love...with a sea pony.
His notebook is wet, but he didn't care. His attention was on them both, staring the horizon, his wing around the sea pony's back.
Pearl was resting her head on the alicorn's shoulder, smiling, feeling safe and secure.

But they both are worried about one thing; will they part soon?
Henry's a land pony, while Pearl's a sea pony.
They can't be together.

Pearl sighed, making Henry look at her.
"I'm sorry..."
She smiled at him.
"It's nothing..."

"You can tell me..."

"Well..."
She looked down.
"...you're going to leave soon..."

Henry felt her sadness.

"...and...I'll be alone...again..."

Henry has no idea how to deal with this problem...
...if only he didn't let himself fall for her, then they won't feel like this.
...but he couldn't change it now. He needs to face the consequences...

It's true, Henry needs to leave soon.
They can't be together.
Henry lives on land. Pearl couldn't live on land.
Pearl lives in the sea... Henry couldn't breath underwater, even if he change himself into a sea pony.

A tear ran down the sea pony's face.
"I don't...want to be alone again..."
She sniffed as she rubbed her teary eyes with her hoof.

Henry wrapped his hooves around her, giving her a comforting hug.
Henry absolutely has no idea how to deal with this kind of problem.

She took a deep breath, and exhaled.
She looked at the alicorn, brought her hoof behind his head, and slowly pulled it for their lips to meet.

Their lips soon parted.
It didn't help them solve their problem, but it did made them feel at ease a bit.
She smiled, her lovely smile made the alicorn smile back.

But then, Henry felt like he's lying at her.
He's not a pony. Should he tell her?
What if she hates him?
Well, they're going to part any time soon, so...
"I need to tell you something..."
Henry whispered, his voice filled with fear.

Pearl smiled as she brought her hoof on the alicorn's mouth.
"You're not a pony, I know..."
Henry was surprised. He blinked while her hoof was still on his mouth.
"We sea ponies can see through magic."
And she lifted her hoof from his mouth to his horn, and tapped it before she ran it down from his head, running through his mane, down to his shoulder.

"You...you knew...? Yet you still...?"

She simply nodded.
"I like you whether you're a black figure or a green pony."
She kissed his nose.
"It's what's on the inside that counts."

Henry smiled. That was a big load off of his chest, but now...
He wished there's a way for them to be together.
He sighed.

They stared at the horizon.
They're enjoying each other's company, for they know it won't last.
Pearl rested her head on the alicorn's shoulder.

"Can...I ask a question?"
Henry asked, without turning his gaze away fromt the horizon.
He felt Pearl nodded her head.
"...Where do...sea ponies live?"

"Under the sea..."
She chuckled.

"I know..."
Henry felt stupid for asking such a vague question.
"...I mean...where, exactly?"

"Well... we have little settlements on deep oceans... I think in comparison to land ponies, you call them towns..."

Henry tried imagining a town underwater.
Maybe the houses are made out of seashells and coral reefs?
Or maybe the sunken ships from long ago?

"So...why has nopony ever seen you sea ponies?"

"Well, I'm not sure... I didn't like history..."

Oh, they also have schools. Nice.

"...but...from what I remember, um...we hid ourselves because we're afraid of the power or something about the sky ponies...or something."

"But...even today?"

Pearl simply nodded her head.
"We are afraid to get hurt... That's why we hide."

"So... Why did you allow yourself to be seen by...me?"

Pearl chuckled.
"Well, I ah...don't know. When I first saw you, I felt weird. I wanted to swim away as far as I could, but...I kept on thinking about you."

Henry felt his cheeks blushed.

"I just don't really know. I mean, I've been secretly looking at land ponies, but I felt strange when I saw you."

"You mean...love?"
Henry was hoping so.

Pearl simply smiled.
"Nope..." her voice had a mix of teasing, to the alicorn's relief.

"Well, I don't love you either."
Henry played along as he rested his head on her head.
"But, I envy your courage to let me see you again."

"I was really afraid. But I'm glad I did it."

Glad...
But if she didn't, it would have been easier for them to part.
Henry would likely convince himself that he just imagined her.
Now, parting is difficult.

"Will...I ever see you again...?"
Henry slowly said, with a sad tone on his voice.

Pearl's smile faded.
So they'll really part ways after this.
But, he's willing to see her again...
Is that enough?
"I...think so."

'Think so?'

She removed herself from the alicorn's comfortable shoulder.
Both looked at each other.

"...can't you stay with me...?"
She asked, but she quickly shook her head.
"No...I'm sorry... What was I thinking."

Henry folded his wing back as he brought a hoof to her cheek.
"If there's a way, I'll take it."

She smiled.
"T-thanks. That means a lot but..."
She used her hooves to gently take his hoof off of her cheek.
"I shouldn't... I mean. You belong here, on land, I mean."
She took a deep breath, and exhaled.
"I really want you to be with me but...I don't want to lock you, with limited freedom..."
She brought her gaze down. Tears started to form on her eyes.
"...I don't want you to be like I was..."

'Like she was?'

Henry was about to give her a hug when she quickly hugged him, her head on his chest.
She started crying.
She was free now, and she found love, but she's setting him free, and it hurts.
"I don't want you to go..."

Henry hugged her, gently rubbing her back with his hoof.
Pearl doesn't want him to become what she was?
What does that mean?
But, it's not important now.
The sea pony doesn't want him to be trapped in a small space.
Henry exhaled sadly; his quiet way of sighing at something.

After a few minutes, Pearl stopped crying.
Henry felt that she was about to break the hug, so he removed his embrace from her, and she did the same.
She looked down, wiping her teary eyes with her hoof.

"I like you... I really do... Even if I don't know much about you..."
She softly said in between sobs.

Henry smiled weakly.
"Strangely... I feel the same towards you..."

Pearl looked at him with a smile.
She looked down, and let her head land on the alicorn's head.
"Well, at least we still have some time together..."

And they stayed quiet, staring at the blue horizon, allowing the ocean's breeze to comfort their hearts.
Henry doesn't want to part, but...
As Daisy's mother said, life goes on...
If it means he'll be seeing Pearl again or not, life indeed goes on.

Well, for now, he can sit with his lovely sea pony, watching quietly on the horizon.

Pearl slowly removed her head on the alicorn's chest.
"Want to go for a swim?"

Or, he could enjoy swimming with her.

----------
4. Under The Sea
----------

"I am so glad we left that place..."
Midnight yawned as he and Aurora walked back to the other ponies.

Aurora was following behind the unicorn, looking annoyed.
"You are such a joy-kill."

"Look, let's leave those lovey-doveys alone."
He said with a smile, a smile of relief.
He couldn't stand watching silly romance.

"Hmph..."
Aurora kicked the sand, and continued walking.
She was still not wanting to leave that place, but after Henry and Pearl started to go swimming, Midnight took that chance to leave, using his magic to drag her with him.
"Why didn't you just left me there?"

"Look kid, you're still too young for those kind of things."

"And you're old enough for it?"

"Well, yeah..."

Aurora smiled evilly.
"You're probably right, but you're sure not good at it."

Midnight shot an angry look at her.
"Hey, watch it, kid."
The unicorn returned his gaze to their destination.
"There's a reason why I don't put myself in a relationship."

"Oh?"
Aurora was curious.
"Do tell."

"Er..." Midnight suddenly felt sad.
"It's...something I don't want to talk about..."

Aurora wanted to ask why, but the tone the unicorn used made her decide not to ask instead.
She could relate however. There are things in life that one shouldn't share with one another, if they don't feel like talking about it.

"Still..." she slowly said.
"That doesn't explain why you flirt a lot."
She teased.

"Zip it, kid."
Midnight replied, annoyed.

"You even flirted Miss Cheerilee during her class!"

"I said zip it!"
Midnight hissed, trying to stop himself from looking back to her to hide his blushing cheeks.

That was when he was delivering a letter to her and---why is he thinking about it?

---

"So..."
Henry said while he and the sea pony where swimming, their heads above the sea level.
"There are sea ponies who could use magic, and some couldn't?"

"Uh-huh. Like myself, I couldn't use magic."
She replied cheerfully, while circling around her alicorn.
"But at least I could swim faster than those who could do magic."

Henry smiled as he compared it to the land ponies.
Earth ponies are stronger and faster than unicorns.
Now that he thought about it, maybe ponies are divided into three races: sky, land and sea.
Winged ponies have magic users and non-magic users, although alicorns are truly rare.
Land ponies have earth ponies and unicorn ponies.
So maybe sea ponies have both as well.

Henry was brought back to reality when he felt a soft kiss on his cheek.

Pearl parted her lips from the alicorn's blushing cheeks.
"You think too much."
She smiled.

"S-sorry... I tend to do that a lot..."
He laughed weakly.

"Oh, hey, I know..."
Pearl stopped in front of the alicorn, making him stop swimming as well.
"Want me to show you the beauty of the sea?"

"I'd like that."
Henry nodded.

The sea pony smiled before she turned her back on him.
"Grab on..."
She softly said, blushing slightly.

Henry brought his hooves around the blue sea pony's neck, making her blush even more.
Hopefully, the alicorn wouldn't notice.
"O-okay... A d-deep breath..."
He'll notice for sure...

Henry chuckled a bit before he took a deep breath.
Afterwards, he allowed the sea pony to dive, bringing himself with her.
He used his magic to lock his glasses in place, and he was able to see the beauty of the sea.

She swims fast, must faster than what both expected.
She doesn't want him to see all of these boring starfishes and shells and rocks lying around.
No, she wants to show him the real beauty of the sea.
She continued to swim a few hooves above the sea floor.

After a minute, Henry looked up, and saw the surface of the sea was too far above.
He could only hope that Pearl could swim up as fast as she is swimming now.

The blue sea pony finally slowed her pace.
"We're here."
Pearl said, her voice sounded strange under the sea, but was still lovely to the alicorn's ears, nonetheless.

Henry looked at the sea floor to witness in front of his eyes the magnicifent art of the sea.
Corals of different colors stood like towers.
Giant clamps, lazily lying on the floor.
Schools of different fishes, swimming above them.
Other sea creatures, doing their habitual tasks.
Pearl suddenly stopped after she startled a flouder in front of her. It angrily swam away, to the couple's amusement.
Three sea turtles swam above them.
And to the alicorn's horror, he spotted a large white shark swimming towards them.
He tried informing the sea pony.

"Relax, he won't bite."
Pearl chuckled.

The shark was getting closer, and the alicorn could only close his eyes, awaiting for...nothing...
He opened his eyes to see the shark was gone.
He turned to the opposite direction, and saw the shark swimming its merry way.

"See? I told you he won't bite."
Pearl laughed a bit as Henry gave a very mental relieved sigh.

With the shark out of his worry, he returned his gaze on the wonderful aquatic scene.
As much as he adored the world under the sea, his lungs are starting to hurt.
He nuzzled his nose on her nape, which tickled her a bit.

"Hey, stop that... Oh! Out of air? Okay."
And she quickly swam upward.

Henry took some air as soon as he was out of the water.
Now that he's okay, he settled down on staring at the beautiful blue face in front of him.

"So, what did you think?"
Pearl asked.

"It was lovely."
Henry smiled, nodding his head.
He then brought his hoof to her head, slowly dragging it down on her mane down to her neck.
"...but not as lovely as you..."
And he admitted, it was cheesy, but it was full of love.

The sea pony blushed, holding his hoof with her own.
"Thanks..."

She slowly leaned her head towards his for their lips to meet.
She wrapped her hooves around him, and the alicorn did the same.

They parted after they heard heavy flapping sounds.
They both turned their heads to the source, and they found a young orange pegasus pony flying a few hooves away.

"Eew..."
She said as Pearl quickly swam behind the alicorn to hide herself.
"Okay... From afar, you two looked really sweet, but this close, bleach..."
Aurora stuck her tongue out.

"Sorry..."
Henry shyly smiled at the pegasus.
He turned to the sea pony.
"Pearl, this is my niece, Aurora."

Pearl submerged herself underwater.
Only her eyes and her upper head were visible.

"Er..."
Henry then turned to the pegasus.
"Aurora, this is Pearl."

"Hi Pearl!"
She cheerfully greeted his uncle's marefriend.

The blue sea pony slowly showed her head.
"Um...hi..."
She slowly swam behind the alicorn.

"Oh, hey, uncle, everyone's already preparing..."
Her smile faded after remembering what it would mean.
"...to...go..."

Henry was saddened by this fact.
It was time for them to part.
Wait, why does Aurora also feel the same?

"Aurora... Why are you saddened by this?"

The pegasus scratched her cheek, smiling awkwardly.
"Well, uh... Midnight and I kinda...stalked you..."

Henry blinked.

"So uh...we kinda...um...found out about your...marefriend...as a...maremaid..."
She quietly continued, feeling guilty that she stalked her uncle.

"Promise not to tell..."
Pearl suddenly said, still hiding behind the alicorn.

Aurora nodded her head.
"I promise, uh, Pearl, right? And don't worry. I'll make sure to shut Midnight up!"
She saluted them.
"So, uh, I'd best be going back. Wait for you at the beach."
And she flew off.

Henry stared at the direction where she was heading, and he found himself quite a distance from the beach.

"She seemed...nice..."
Pearl quietly said.

Henry smiled at her.
"Yeah, she is."

"Um...so..."
Pearl was looking sad.
"...this is goodbye?"

Henry was sad hearing those words.
"Not yet..."
He smiled weakly.
"You still need to put me back where you took me."

Pearl laughed weakly.
"Hahah... What if I don't?"

Henry closed his eyes, tilting his head to the sky.
"Then I guess I'm stuck here."

"Don't worry..."
Pearl smiled.
"...I'll make sure that shark will accompany you."

"Please no!"
Henry immediately looked at her with a worried expression.

Pearl simply laughed.
"You're cute when you're startled."
She then turned her back on him.
"But I'll take you back..."
She slowly said, her smile evaporated.

Henry slowly wrapped his hooves around her neck.

"But...I want this moment to last so... I'll swim slower."

Henry rested his head on her nape.
"Whatever makes you happy."
He smiled, making the sea pony blush as she swam.

----------
5. Goodbye...For Now
----------

Midnight and Aurora sat on the beach, blankly staring at the setting sun.
Miss Cheerilee and the other ponies already left to PonyVille.

Midnight was starting to get irritated from all this waiting.
Aurora was simply humming a random tone.

Finally, they heard a faint stroke of water.
Turning their heads towards the source, they saw Henry and Pearl on the shore.
Henry freed the sea pony from his embrace and walked beside her, enjoying a few more moments with each other, staring at the sunset.

Midnight sighed in frustration.
This would mean he'll have to wait a few more minutes, plus, he has to watch them, or not.
He lied down on the sand, closing his eyes.
Aurora was once again loving the scene of the couples.
She leaned on the annoyed Midnight.

Pearl rested her head on the alicorn's shoulder, while Henry rested his on her head.
They both want each other.
Both doesn't want to part.
But both accepted the sad truth.

While they were slowly swimming to the beach, Henry told her that he's a writer.
His first book became popular, and he's already writing on a second book.
Now, he has an idea of the third book; Daring Do And The City Under Water.
He wants to express his discovery of the beauty of the sea, and his love for a certain sea pony.
Pearl liked the idea.

Pearl had told him the reason why she was here.
Ever since she swam away from home, she stayed here in Seasaddle Beach.
There is a cave underwater, where she lives, all by herself.

If they're going to part today, it would be best to set out the sea pony's burden, so at least, she would feel a bit at ease.
She doubted at first, but, it sounded a good idea.
She doesn't want to add another burden in her heart.

---

I was born in Coral Edge. It's a faraway settlement from Seasaddle Beach.
Surrounded by large coral reefs, and homed by a large number of sea ponies, both fish-tailed ponies like me, and the magic-using seahorse-tailed ponies.
I lived with my parents, and we were, in sea pony statistics, the richest sea ponies in the entire ocean.
You could say I could have anything I wanted. Yes, I can have what I want, but I couldn't get what I need...
My parents were always so busy.
Ever since I grew myself a conscience, I never actually spent half an hour with them...
Though they're my parents, I feel like I don't know them.
I don't even know if they loved me.

As for my education, I was educated at home.
My tutor wasn't the nicest sea pony around, but she's very patient.

One day though, I think it was three year ago, my parents came home early with a male sea pony of my age, or maybe older by a few years than me.
I didn't understand why they sent my tutor home early for me to spend some "quality" time with a sea pony I don't even know, until dinner came.

They told me that I am to marry that sea stallion.
An arranged marriage.
They said that it would give me a great future.
The said stallion is the son of the third richest sea ponies in the ocean.

Marrying someone was a dream come true for sea mares.
I liked the idea at first, and the wedding was a few months away.

But, the more I spent some time with him, the more I started hating him...
He doesn't like my long hair. He doesn't like it if I do things wrong.
He doesn't like it if I look down when he's talking.

...and I think you get the idea...
...I could tell everything but...

...anyway, instead of liking him, I grew to not want to see him again.
I told my parents about it, but they told me to adjust to the stallion's standards.
They told me to try my best to be the "perfect" mare for him.

I couldn't go against my parents, so I listened to them and tried my best.
I did everything the stallion wanted me to be.

But the more I tried to be perfect for him, the more I felt...imprisoned...
Like I was his personal pet eel.

I told my parents I couldn't live like someone I wasn't, but they didn't listen...
My own parents wants me to be someone I'm not.

They never let me out, they never gave me love, and then they won't let me who I am...
...it was too much.

Then one night, when all ponies were sleeping, I did the only thing I could think of...
...I swam away.

No idea of the world outside my home was terrifying, but I kept on swimming.
I knew that if I stop, or swim back, my life would be a mess.

I didn't want money. I never wanted a perfect life.
All I wanted was for someone to love me as who I am...

...and I found this place.
A quiet and peaceful place.

I've been living here, for three years...
...all by myself...

I knew that if someone spots me, either I'll get hunted, or I'll be sent back to Coral Edge.
So I stayed hidden...until I saw you...

I...don't know what came into me.
When I first saw you writing on the sand...I started to like you.
I saw you thrown to the sea, and I felt really worried.
So I quickly swam towards you.
I saw your glasses fell off, so I took it.

During that time, I was fighting my thoughts of either swim away or talk to you...
I knew that it would be risky if you saw me, but...
Something in me wants to talk to you.

---

Pearl removed her head from leaning on the alicorn's shoulder.
They both brought their gazes on each other.
"Well..."
She smiled, weakly, with teary eyes.
"...I guess, now, this is goodbye...?"

Henry sighed.
"I...guess so..."
He flashed a weak smile.
"But...I'll see you again, right? And please, don't say you think so..."

Pearl smiled, despite her tears flowing down her face.
"Fine... Then I won't..."

They slowly leaned towards each other, their lips finding the other.

Aurora squeeled silently, ignoring Midnight's loud snore.

After their lips parted, Pearl brought her hoof on his cheek.
"You better come back here."

"I promise."
This time, Henry will make sure that he will not break that promise.
"Maybe after I publish my second book, I'll come to visit."

"You better..."
And she blushed.
"Could...could I have your hat?"

Henry blinked.
His hat. He forgot about his hat.
He looked around, and saw Aurora and Midnight, meters away.
On their picnic basket was his hat.
Using his magic, he levitated his hat towards him, to Aurora's confusion.

Henry grabbed the hat with both his hooves, and slowly put it on Pearl's head, careful not to hurt her fin-like ears.

Pearl blushed even further.
"H-how do I look?"

"Honestly..."
Henry smiled.
"...you look weird."

They both laughed.
After their laughter subsided, they kissed each other once more.
After, they broke the kiss and Pearl quickly hugged him.

"I'll miss you."
Henry whispered as he returned the hug.
A tear ran down his face.
And he admitted to himself: he was officially in love.
All those novels and books about romance. At first he thought of them as rubbish or over-exagerrated.
But now, he understood every book and novel about romance.

"I'll miss you more."
Pearl slowly said after they broke their hug.
She sighed as she wiped her tears with her hoof.
"Well, I shouldn't keep you long..."
She looked at the two ponies meters away who were waiting for the alicorn.
One of them looked like he recently woke up.
"Some ponies are waiting for you."

Henry looked at them. Aurora was waving a hoof.
Midnight was rubbing his eyes.
"Yeah, they did waited for me, didn't they?"

They looked at each other, and after one quick kiss, they said their goodbyes.
Henry slowly walked towards the ponies waiting for him as Pearl slowly swam back to the sea.

After reaching the ponies, Henry looked back at the sea pony, who was waving her hoof goodbye at them.
Henry and Aurora waved back, while Midnight did so as well, in a bored manner.
Midnight was just glad they're heading back to PonyVille. He still needs to wake up early to deliver some mail.

And after Pearl was satisfied, she submerged under the sea, swimming swiftly with a smile and the alicorn's hat on her hold.

Henry stared at the quiet sea a few more minutes before they started heading back to PonyVille.

Maybe one day, they can be together, forever...