• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventures Of Henry Hoof In Equestria - destinedjagold



a sequel of my first MLP: FiM fanfic (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34650/Changeling---Henry-Hoof)

  • ...
1
 20
 1,435

Chapter 03 - Reaching The Dream

Chapter 3 - Reaching The Dream

----------
1. Dream Come True
----------

Henry woke up inside the train's private room. He got out of the red wide chair as he puts his glasses on him with his brown magic. As he took a few steps toward the glass window, he changed the way he looked as a green alicorn pony.
The sun was still rising, yet, Canterlot was already in sight.

He originally planned to go to Manehattan, but he decided to go to Canterlot to publish his book instead.
Why? Because Canterlot was closer than Manehattan.

As he went back and sat down on the comfy chair, he smiled as he remembered the things that happened a month before.

He attended Mister Cake's wedding with a mare that little Rarity described as 'chubby', and indeed, she was a bit chubby.
But hey, he's not the one to judge. Love has no boundaries, at least, that's what he read in the books and novels in the library.

Cheerilee was sick for a week, so the mayor asked him to be the school's substitute teacher.
He didn't mind. It also gave him a chance to talk to the little Applejack about Manehattan.

From what the little filly described, it was a city just like Fillydelphia.
He sighed after hearing about it.
At least he knew he needs to update the books in his library.
He already filed a request at the mayor's office.
The shipment for new books will be a month or so.

And then he remembered his chat with Mister Cake about Pinkie having a blast at the school's annual talent show.
Pinkie Pie threw him another 'goodbye and be back soon' party, and indeed, she 'blasted' all around with her pink cannon, instantly transforming an entire room into a party.

Oh, why did he even mentioned the word 'cannon'...
And once again, too much cake.

He smiled again, realizing how great his life is, minus the getting hurt part.
He shrugged as he realized that the train was already starting to slow down.
Canterlot was already a few minutes away.

He then took a black shirt from his sidebag, and wore it.
Canterlot has a strange way of looking at ponies without wearing any clothing, even though it was completely natural to not wear anything.
He didn't understand the high class ponies' logic...
He sighed. He didn't want to get some unwanted attention, anyway...

With his magic, he wore his hat, this time, covering his horn, and wore his brown sidebag.

A memory hit him again.
Rarity insisted to make him a new sidebag as her way of saying sorry for what happened to them in Rocky Fields.
Henry didn't need a new one, though his old one could use some fixing.
She happily fixed his sidebag, and wow, it looked brand new.

Finally, the train went to a full stop, sending a rocking wave through the train.
He glanced out of the window. The train's inside Canterlot Train Station.
Unlike in Fillydelphia, the Canterlot Train Station has more organized ponies walking around.
Though crowded, even at this early hour, order is like the top priority here.
Plus, no vendor stalls on pillars. Oh well, there are bakeries outside the station, anyway.

He exited the train and felt the warm atmosphere. It was now summer.
He walked straight to the wide staircase leading out of the station and directly turned left to his usual bakery stop.

He pulled the glass door open and entered the building. He smiled as he went to the counter.

"Ah! Sir Henry!" a cheerful young orange mare pegasus pony with white mane and tail greeted him.
"The usual, sir?"

"Yes, please." He smiled as he got to the counter.

Even though he's disguising himself as a pegasus, the young orange pegasus already knew him as an alicorn.
She was also the one who told him to hide his horn under his hat so he'll look like an ordinary pegasus pony.
He used his magic to lift three Bits and put them down on the counter table as the mare pony took a Daisy Bread inside the glass stand and puts it inside a brown paper bag.
After the exchange, they thanked each other and said their goodbyes.

The royal capital city of Canterlot is built on the side of one of the tallest mountains in Equestria, where the rising and the setting of the sun can be witnessed.
Canterlot, it has tall buildings and cemented streets, where trees were given way to grow to add nature in a civilized city. Unlike Fillydelphia, Canterlot definitely has a lot of ponies who are 'living big in the city', and he didn't like any of them.
Ponies are too proud of their wealth, reputation, and looks.
And unlike Fillydelphia, this city has no street beggars and 'street rats' and other lower class ponies. Something about this city that's trying it's best to look perfect.
Maybe because this is where Princess Celestia lives?

He puts the bread inside his sidebag and quietly made his way to his first destination.

---

Henry quietly walked inside Canterlot Cemetery, and walked his way towards his sister's resting place.
He sat in front of her tombstone, staring at the engraved letters and her cutie mark.

He said some things on his mind, as if he's trying to talk to his little sister in his mind.
He told her about what he experienced.
A tear ran down his face. He missed her.

He took his Daisy Bread, and split it in half with his hooves, and puts the other half on the grass near the tombstone with a smile.

His sister always bought the same bread back in PonyVille, and they would eat together either in their home or in the park under their favorite tree.
Even inside the library, too.

Oh, how the time flew...
Another tear ran down his face as he slowly took a bite on his share of the bread.
Ants already started to swarm on the bread on the ground.

Suddenly...
He felt warm. The sun wasn't even up that high.
It was a different kind of warmth.
It was as if, the warmth was only around his neck and back.
He felt comfortable, secure, and loved.
He closed his eyes, and imagined his sister was hugging him from behind.

"Thank you, sis..." he whispered.

And as he slowly opened his eyes, the warmth slowly faded.
Another tear escaped his eyes.

---

A carriage stopped in front of the Caterlot Castle. Henry got off of it and payed the drivers.
He looked at the castle. How magnicifent it looked, from the ground to the highest tower.
He smiled as he slowly turned around.
The castle is not why he was here, but the building he's facing on the other side of the road.
The Canterlot Book Express.

As he got in front of the glass door, two security unicorn ponies who were inside used their magic to open the door for him. He thanked them as he entered the building.

The floor was air-conditioned and spacious, with chairs on the left and right corners, where a number of ponies are seated. In the center of the room was the counter, separated by three sections; information, inquery, and the one with the longest line, publishing.

Information is where ponies will ask questions related to the building and publishing.
Inquery is where ponies will ask about the status of their books, novels, poems, and other written items. It is also where ponies will ask for book shipments.
Publishing has two lines; one for those who are going to publish their books, and the other to publish their rights on the book, if the company will publish it.

He went in line in the publishing section.
Lucky for him that the city prioritize orderliness, he got to the counter in less than twenty minutes.

Alicorns are rare, if he remembered correctly, so he pretended that he was a pegasus pony.
With his hoof, he brought his bag in front of him, and with his mouth, he puts the envelop where all his papers of the story are stored, and puts them on the counter desk.
The middle-aged blue mare unicorn pony used her magic to open the envelop and take the first piece of paper.
The paper was a drawing of how the book's cover would look like.
It was his sister's mouth-drawn work.

She arched an eyebrow as she took the next page.
Still unsatisfied, she took the next few pages until she saw the prologue of the story.

She read it for a few moments, and finally returned the papers back in the envelop with a smile.

"Adventure, Sir Henry?" she asked as she flipped the envelop and with her magic, she stamped on it with a red 'For Review' stamp, and puts it down on the stack of other brown envelops.

Henry simply smiled back at her.

"Well," she said, "I do hope it'll get published. I got bored of all these fantasy love and romance stories being submitted here."

Both chuckled.

"Be back here tomorrow in the Inquery section about the status of your book."

Both smiled as Henry worked his way out of the building.

As he got out, he felt so, so relieved.
Finally, his sister's dream is about to come true.

He was about to call an empty carriage when he heard his name being called.
He turned to the castle, and saw a little purple unicorn filly waving her hoof at him behind the large castle gates.
He smiled.

It's not illegal to fly around, except beyond the castle walls, so he flew to the other side and landed in front of the gate, where two royal guards were just standing there.

"Hello Twilight."
He greeted her as he rubbed the little filly's head that was poking out of the gate.
"Shouldn't you be studying?"

"I was until I saw you."
She smiled.

Henry took his hoof back and pretended to be offended.
"Oh, so it's my fault now?"
And they both laughed.

He then noticed a large white pony walking out of the castle door a few meters away, and slowly walked towards the gate.
The little purple unicorn filly noticed him, and turned to his direction.

"Oh, Princess Celestia!"
She said as the princess caught up to her.

She smiled at the little filly, and then brought her eyes to the green pony outside the gates.
"How are you, Henry? Care to come inside?"

Henry bowed before he answered.
"I'm doing fine, princess. Thanks for asking. And oh, I was about to look for an inn until Twilight called me."

"Well, if you need a place to stay for the night, you are very welcome to stay in the castle."
She then looked at the guards and nodded her head, a gesture to open the gates for the green pony.

"Thank you princess, but, uh..." he slowly scratched his head.
"I shouldn't be troubling you like this..."

"Oh, it's no trouble at all."

The guards opened the gates for Henry to enter the castle.
The princess then asked her protegé to lead their guest to the guest room, and Twilight immediately nodded her head and ran towards the castle.

"I should probably follow her before I'll lose sight of her..."

"I think you should."
Both laughed, and then Henry bowed again before he followed the little unicorn filly.

----------
2. Magic Training
----------

Princess Celestia has already started to rise the sun from the horizon when Henry woke up. He was excited to know the status of the book, but the building was still close.
To kill some time, he went to the castle's garden where he found Twilight practicing her magic.
He decided to watch her train.

Henry, unlike other changelings, can use his magic other than disguising himself.
When a changeling leader dies, their ability to use magic is passed down to the next changeling to rule the tribe.

Though convenient, Henry never liked to use his magic other than lifting stuff, and blasting beams to protect himself.
But for the filly's sake, he tried some, until the publishing building opens.

Twilight made him read a dark-purple covered book.
The book was already opened to a page where Twilight was currently training.

"Teleportation Spell? This spell will allow you to---"

He cut himself off when he noticed the little filly was already concentrating, her horn was glowing purple and white, and instantly, her whole body became white and she disappeared, and she reappeared a few feet from where she was.
Henry smiled, he was impressed.

"Not bad," he admitted.

"I did it! I did it!"
The little filly cheerfully hopped around.

The spell might be useful one day, so he brought his attention to the book once again and started reading the procedure.

"There are two different ways to use the spell. The first is the easiest one, where you need to see the spot where you want to teleport yourself into. The second is extremely difficult, where you'll need to picture in your head the place you wish to teleport yourself into."
He brought his hoof on his chin as the little filly walked beside him.
"I think I'll try the first method. I'm not really that good with magic..."
He then read the instructions carefully.

He allowed Twilight's magic grip to hold the book as he started to concentrate some magic energy around his horn, flowing to all parts of his body, as what the book instructed.
He wanted to teleport himself beside the small bush a few meters away from his current location.
Now that he has a destination, he concentrated his flow of magic energy on that spot, and suddenly, his sight became white, and then it instantly became normal, where he's now in front of the bush.
Startled, he jumped a bit as he heard the little filly cheered for his achievement.
He smiled. He didn't really thought he could do it.
He then brought his attention to himself, checking if he was still in one piece.
Still the same green alicorn, with glasses and hat and sidebag.

"That was great, Henry!" cheered the little Twilight.

"Indeed," said an unfamiliar voice. "very impressive, changeling prince."

Both Twilight and Henry turned to where the voice was coming from, and they saw a black old-looking earth pony with a very white and messy mane and tail, who seemed to just arrive in the garden.
He is wearing dark-yellow glasses, and has a cutie mark of two brown hands of a clock.

"Good morning, doctor!"
Twilight greeted the newcomer, who just reached her and patted her head with his hoof.
Henry walked towards them.

"Good morning." Henry bowed as he reached them, catching both ponies' attention.

"Allow me to introduce myself."
He cleared his throat with a cough.
"I am Doctor Psycho."
Henry was glad he could hold his laughter, though failed to hide his cracked smile.
He hoped the doctor wouldn't notice.
"I am a scientist residing here in the castle's lab."

"My name's Henry, Henry Hoof, and I think I'll stick to calling you as 'doctor'."

"Suit yourself," the doctor shrugged.
He then looked down to see the little purple unicorn filly who was poking his hoof.

"Doctor! Doctor, did you see that? Henry can teleport, too!"
She announced excitedly.

The doctor smiled, while Henry let out a shy laugh.

"Indeed I have." the black pony nodded and faced the green alicorn.
"And I am quite impressed. Never knew changelings could do that."

Henry was about to say something when the doctor suddenly turned around to leave the garden.
"Anyway, I best be back to my studies."

"Bye doctor!" Twilight waved a hoof.

"He seems nice."
Henry said as the doctor was now out of sight.

Twilight then turned to him.
"I wanna practice the teleportation spell some more."

Henry smiled as he nodded.
"I'd like to join you."
He then lifted the book in front of him from Twilight's magic grip.
"That spell might come in handy one day."

---

The two ponies practiced the spell for fifteen minutes when Princess Celestia arrived in the garden.
They both bowed before her as they noticed her walking towards them.

Twilight then told her about Henry being able to use the teleportation spell.
She smiled, and then asked the filly to fetch something to eat for their guest.
She immediately nodded and ran to the castle.

Now that they're alone, Princess Celestia looked at the green alicorn and frowned, to Henry's confusion.

"So, you were able to do the teleportation spell?"

"Yes I have, princess..." Henry replied, doubting if it was best for her to know about it.
But after he said it, a realization came into his mind.
"No..."

"If you are able to perform magic spells..."
Princess Celestia closed her eyes as she slowly nodded her head.
"...Chrysalis might be, as well..."

Henry, after hearing the very name of the queen of the green-eyed changelings, ignited a flame of anger inside him.
The princess then opened her eyes.
"The search teams I've sent has yet to find her whereabouts..."

Henry looked down on the ground.
"The other tribes... Were they informed of what happened?"

Although he wouldn't see her, she nodded her head.
"I've already sent a written letter. They are aware."

"I'm sorry..." Henry slowly said.
"I'm sorry, really, to be troubling you with this..."

The princess shook her head as Henry returned his gaze at her.
She was about to say something when they noticed a white young-adult unicorn with blue mane and tail who just entered the garden.
He bowed at the princess.

"I'm sorry to disturb you princess," he then looked around the garden.
"I-is my sister here? We were supposed to eat brea---"

"Hey Shining!" Twilight greeted the young stallion as she ran passed him, being followed by a wooden tray with bread and milk.
She stopped in between the two alicorns, allowing Henry's magic to grab the tray.
The white stallion slowly walked towards them.

"Thank you." Henry smiled.
It wasn't a Daisy Bread, but at least he got something to eat for breakfast.

"Twilie," the stallion said as he stopped behind the little filly, who then turned to face him.
"We were suppose to eat breakfast together..."

"I know, I know... But you were still asleep when I woke up."

The white stallion sighed.
"You could have just, oh, I don't know, 'woke' me up?"
He replied sarcastically with a smile.
"Let's go Twilie, I need to eat something before my training begins."
And with that, the unicorn bowed before the princess, and walked away with his little unicorn sister.

The two alicorns looked at them leave with a smile on their faces.
Henry then sighed in relief and envy.
The very sight of the brother and sister made him remember him and his little sister.

That reminds him of his and her book!
He quickly faced the princess and bowed.
"I just remembered, I need to check the status of our book."
The princess returned her attention to him.
"Is it okay to bring the matter in another time, princess?"

She smiled.
"You don't need to talk formal, Henry."
She nodded her head.
"And yes, maybe another time."

And with that, he left the garden, bringing with him the bread Twilight gave him.

----------
3. Stranded
----------

In an early afternoon, a train is running on a plain desert tracks.
Even with the train's normal speed, the number of cacti can be counted.
On the horizon stood sandy hills, and beyond them are tall dark-brown mountains.

Henry and a number of passengers are seated in the coach car of the train.
Each seat can accommodate two ponies.
He's alone on a seat, simply putting his head against the glass window, blankly staring at the plain desert with a smile.
He still couldn't believe that his sister's book is going to be published.

---

Earlier, Henry went inside the Canterlot Book Express building and joined the line of ponies in the Inquery section.
After a few hours, Henry got out of the building, wearing a smile.

After saying his goodbye to Princess Celestia and Twilight, with her baby dragon, he went outside the castle's gates.
A vacant carriage stopped in front of him, and he went inside.

He couldn't believe that his and his sister's book has been approved and will be published.
The very first copy of the book will be sent to him in a few days' time.
And since he was already there, he asked about the status of the books being delivered to PonyVille library.
The arrival of the books will be a few week's time.

He went back to the quiet cemetery. He spent a few minutes telling his sister the great news.
He shed a few tears at that moment.
He may no longer see her, but he knew that she was also very happy that her dream came true.
He thanked his sister before he slowly left the cemetery, and started to walk towards his destination.

His destination, Canterlot Train Station, so he can head back home.
The sudden thought of Pinkie Pie gave him the cold shivers, but he then shook his head, dismissing the thought.
The Daring Do book is going to be published.
He sighed. It's worth a party, he thought.

---

He covered his horn with his hat, so he could appear as a green pegasus pony to the other ponies' eyes.
There are two stops the train will make from Canterlot to PonyVille.
If his calculations are correct, he'll be in PonyVille by morning.
He smiled. At least he bought himself a Daisy Bread for dinner later.

"Is this seat taken?" asked a feminine, young, and very familiar voice.

Henry turned to see who it was, and saw a young orange pegasus pony with white mane and tail.
The very pony who served him Daisy Bread in his favorite bakery in Canterlot near the station, was right in front of him.
"Aurora?" he said, a bit startled.
"Um, no. This seat's available."

She smiled as she sighed in relief, and sat beside the green alicorn.
"Thank goodness. I was starting to get uncomfortable in the other car..."

"Why so?"

"I don't know anypony there, so I decided to check this car, and I found you."
She finished her sentence with a smile.
She then started to look around.
"I'm going to PonyVille for a short vacation."

Henry managed to hold his chuckle.
Pinkie Pie will be busy when they arrive.

He doesn't really know much about this filly, except for some facts that she's working, despite the strict Canterlot law not allowing minors to work. She's cheerful, at least, to the customers. She has an aurora-like cutie mark, green to blue in color, standing out from her orange-colored coat.
From their little small talk in his every visit in the bakery, he also learned that she earned her cutie mark after her friends liked her painting in art class one day.
He didn't ask about what she painted. He just concluded that she maybe painted an aurora, thus earning her cutie mark.

The pegasus pony then faced him with a smile.
"So, how's your book?"

"It's going to be published soon."

"Really?" she sounded really excited and happy. "Congratulations!"
She then closed her eyes, faced forward and lifted her right front hoof, to Henry's confusion.
"I promise I'll buy one of your books when I can save some Bits."
And she then returned her hoof, and returning her gaze to him.

Henry laughed weakly.
"T-thanks..."

They became quiet for a while, and Henry noticed her looking from left to right, probably looking through the windows.
"Want to be next to the window?" Henry offered to exchange their seats, to Aurora's convenience.

They exchanged seats, and now, Aurora's gaze was locked on the desert scene through the glass window.
Henry just rested his head on the comfortable chair, leaning his back and his head, closing his eyes.
He sighed in relief.

---

The train later started to slow down for the first stop of the journey; a small town in the desert, in between two tall cliff-like mountains that shields the town from the harsh sun, except during noon.
The town at least has a number of trees to give off a cool breeze, and small patches of grass.
There's also a small number of hoof-operated water pumps, where some ponies are pulling the lever up and down to bring water up to their little buckets.

The ponies are somewhere in between friendly and unfriendly towards strangers, from the looks on their faces as they saw a small number of ponies who exited the train.

"Who would live in a place like this?"
Aurora asked no one in particular, her tone mixed with confusion and sadness.

"Ponies who call this place their home."
Henry said in a low-toned voice.

Aurora slowly shook her head, though what the alicorn said did made sense, but still...

"Listen up everypony!"
The conductor's voice echoed all around the car they're in as soon as he opened the door.
"There's a very big and nasty sandstorm up ahead,"
The passengers's whispers started to echo around.
Henry and Aurora looked at each other, both looking worried.
"and so, we're going to have to wait for it to subside."

"I guess we're stuck here for a while."
Henry said as they both stared at the conductor, who started making his way towards the other car.

Aurora unlocked the locks, opened the sliding glass window, poked her head and looked ahead.
Miles ahead was a huge black cloud, flashing white around, probably lightning, and the cloud, the sandy horizon was obscured.
She then returned to her seat and closed the glass window.

"Well?"
Henry asked as she faced him.

"There's a nasty storm up ahead..."
She then turned her head to look around with an annoyed look on her face.
"...and I don't want to saty here..."

Henry blinked, and now noticed the whole car was starting to get a bit noisy from the whispers and chatters of the other ponies. He looked through the window, examining the small town.
Aurora noticed him, so she turned her gaze to the town as well.

The ponies in town, some stared at the storm cloud far away. Those who did, grinned and started to look like they need to be prepared.

---

They both exited the train after they got the conductor's word that the train will wait for them to return before the train starts to move.

Aurora wasn't feeling confident in the town, but thankfully, she has Henry to be with for a while.
She is following the green pony as he asks a number of ponies around for an inn.

Soon, they stood in front of a wooden building. Ropes were tied on the ground and the cliff's wall behind the building, securing the roof.
They looked around, and noticed that the other wooden houses also have ropes securing the roofs.
Henry slowly went inside as Aurora looked up, noticing the small parts of the black storm cloud already reached them.
She then followed the alicorn, who was already talking to the bored-looking old white unicorn mare on the counter.
Only one room was vacant.

"I'll take it, then."
Henry said.

Without moving an inch, she used her magic to hover the key to the counter.
Henry took the key with his mouth, and bowed at the mare as a gesture of thanks, and went to the wooden stairs.
Aurora was confused as she tailed him.

Finally reaching the wooden door, Henry held the key with his hoof and unlocked the door.

"Why aren't you using your magic?"
Aurora asked with a low and confused tone as Henry opened the door.

"Well," he said as they both entered the room.
The room was small, having only one wooden bed with a blue thin matress, and with a candle lamp on a small wooden table.
The windows were covered by thick plywood, hammered a bit unprofessionally.
"...alicorns are rare though..."

"So?" Aurora asked as she closed the door behind them as Henry sat on a wooden stool near the table.

"Well, I just don't like to get unwanted attention..."

"Why not?"
She asked as she noticed him settling his sidebag down on the table.
"Wait... You're not going in bed?"

Henry looked at her and shook his head.
"You look a bit tired, so the bed's yours."

"Well, thanks, I guess?"

They heard a faint thunder roar as she went to the bed and covered herself with the blue blanket.
Aurora held a comfortable smile as she lied there.
"I've never been on a comfy bed for a while..."
She sighed, and followed it with a surprised gasp.
She quickly went to a sitting position, and saw Henry looking at her confused.

"Uh... I'll pretend I didn't hear anything..."
He said as he returned his focus on his notebook and quill, writing down something with his magic.
He's been wanting to write a few things for a while, but he couldn't do it.
Disguised as a pegasus and all...
He doesn't know how to write with a quill on his mouth.

Suddenly, they heard rattling noises and strong wind gusts from outside.
The strong wind must have been swirling a large amount of sand, and hitting the wooden houses all around.
They can feel the room was waving a bit.

They then heard a set of knocks on the door.

"Come in."
Henry said, a bit loudly.

The doorknob was enveloped by white magic, and then the door opened, revealing the old unicorn mare from the counter, lifting a tray of bread.

"This here storm's gonna be runnin' wild all night long."
She said, still wearing a seriously-bored look.
She then hovered the tray to the rear-end of the bed.
"You couples need somethin' ta eat."

Aurora and Henry both looked surprised.
The old mare however just shook her head as she turned to leave.
"Worry non', lovebirds. It's on the house."
And she shut the door closed with her magic.

"I'm too young..."
Aurora whispered as she went to the tray.
They were given two pieces of bread.

Henry then took out his Daisy Bread from his bag.
"Don't worry. I'm sure she just misunderstood us..."

"I sure hope so..."
She then took a piece of bread with her hoof.
"I mean, you're old enough to be my dad..."
And she then took a bite.
"...not that I mind..." she whispered, but Henry failed to hear it from the noisy sounds the wind was making from outside.

----------
4. Storm In The Night
----------

They were quiet for a while. The wind was still busy outside.
They already finished eating dinner.
Aurora was just lying down on the bed, staring at a wall where Henry was sitting on a stool, still busy writing some stuff on his notebook.

"Hey Henry..."

"Hm?"
The green alicorn responded without stopping from writing.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure. Go ahead."

"Well..."
she shifted a bit so she could look a him directly.
"...do you have parents?"

The quill suddenly stopped writing as Henry blinked.
He then, with his magic, returned the quill to the ink bottle as he faced her.

"Yes, I...had..."
He fixed his glasses on his face with his hoof.
"What brought you to ask?"

"Well, two things actually..."
she sat up and took a deep breath and exhaled.
"Aside from the princess, you're the only alicorn I've met, and it made me wonder..."

"I see."

"...and...nevermind about the second one..."

"Uh... Okay?"

"So... You said you had parents... Can I ask, what happened to them?"

Henry felt sad all of a sudden.
He thought he was okay now, and he thought that if someone asks him about his parents, he wont feel sad or anything.
He sighed, he thought wrong.
"When I was young, my father died trying to protect my mother from monsters..."
He slowly brought his gaze back to his notebook.
"At that time, my older sister risked her life to protect me..."
He then took a deep breath, and exhaled.
"A year and a few months ago, my mother was...ambushed, by the same monsters when she was moving away to a new place..."

"Oh... I'm...sorry..."
Aurora whispered.

Both then became quiet, not moving from their current positions.

Henry then took a deep breath and exhaled.
He then faced her with a sad smile.
"Well, that's a bit unfair for my part..."
Aurora blinked in confusion.
"Your turn."

"What? Oh... M-my parents?"
Aurora asked, sounding confused and unsure.

Henry simply nodded.

Aurora looked down on the blanket, unsure if she's willing to tell him.
She's been trying her best to mask her sadness with a smile, though when she's alone, the mask often wears off without her realizing it.

"If you don't want to talk about it..."
Henry slowly said as Aurora slowly looked at him.
"...then you don't have to."
He then looked at his notebook and lifted his quill with his magic.
"As the saying goes, 'some things are better left unsaid'."
And with that, he went back to writing some notes.

"T-thanks..."
she managed to smile.
"But I'll tell you about it, but maybe not now..."

She saw him nod his head.
Sleep was starting to get into her, so she slowly lied down and went to sleep.

---

Henry was starting to feel sleepy after what felt like hours.
He wrote a descent amount of notes for a new book.
The goblet he found in the ruins will play a vital role in the next Daring Do book.
He smiled as he remembered Ember and Flame.
Those two should be getting along pretty well.
He was about to open his bag to put his stuff back when he heard a small commotion from downstairs.

He went outside the room.
As he got himself to the stairs, he saw the old unicorn mare standing a few feet from the door.
Beside her stood two old unicorn stallions.
The three used their magic to lift three hayforks.

Despite the violent sound of the wind from outside, they heard a loud slamming sound from the door, and was quickly followed by scratching noises.

The three unicorns stood in their stances, forks lifted and tilted, their pointed spears facing the door.
One of the stallions took a quick look at the stairs, and saw Henry on the upper end.

"Don't worry son!"
He returned his gaze at the door, where a hole was starting to form on the lower-left.
"We'll handle this."

"Handle what?"
Henry asked in complete innocence.
Sandy wind started to enter from the hole, scratches echoed through, and soon, Henry saw a yellowish-brown paw, scratching the door.
The torches inside were starting to dance with the wind.

And suddenly, another loud slamming sound erupted as the wooden door was destroyed to pieces, and instantly, three golden-brown wolves leaped inside, jaws open and ready, only to get stabbed by the hay forks of the unicorns, who appeared confident and prepared.
The instant the wolves were stabbed, their whole bodies suddenly became sand and fell down to the wooden floor.

"Water!"
Shouted the mare unicorn as the pile of sand slowly started to rise, taking forms of wolves, the size of adult ponies.
"Water, darnit!"
She angrily looked at her companions, but both shook their heads.

As the first wolf came to be, it instantly jumped at the mare, to the three's surprise.
A brown beam them hit the wolf, sending it back outside.
Henry, who was now on the floor, quickly blasted two beams at the other wolves from his horn, sending both outside.

Henry, now revealing his horn, quickly used his magic to tie the strings of his hat under his head, so it wont fly off from the strong wind. Aurora and the other ponies renting the other rooms just got outside of their doors to see what happened.

He again blasted a beam at a wolf who was about to enter the inn.

"Fill me in on how to defeat these things!"

"Water!" the old mare shouted as one of the old stallions ran back to a room.
"Pour them some water while they're not wolves!"

Henry again blasted a beam at a wolf.
"Before they turn into wolves, got it."
He was about to fly out of the door when he heard Aurora called his name.
"Aurora," he said without looking, "stay here and be safe."
And he flew out of the doorway.

The whole town is blanketed in darkness, filled with sounds of the wind, growls of the wolves, scratches on wood, battle cries of ponies, and splashes of water.

The dusty wind is giving him a difficult time to focus his sight.
He then landed on the sandy ground, hoping that the wind would be a bit less violent, but it didn't make a difference, but to put himself in danger as he heard snarls and growls all around him.

Aurora, with a candle lamp on her mouth, flew out of the inn and hovered above the alicorn, shedding enough light for him to see.

Henry, despite feeling a bit angry at her for not listening, was glad she was here to help.
Seeing a bit better now, he fired a number of beams at the wolves.
After knocking one out, he saw a nearby water pump.
That little distraction gave way to a wolf, landing its sharp claws on the alicorn's back.
Fanged mouth wide open, it prepared to bite his neck when a hay fork stabbed the wolf, turning it into sand.
Henry's back was showered by sand. He shook it off.

Other ponies were already fighting the wolves outside, shedding some more light around town.
He was backed by the three old unicorns. Taking this opportunity, he concentrated his magic on the water pump, trying to sense the water deep underground.
Finally, he was able to summon a large amount of water, enveloped by his brown magic, lifted in the air.
He turned around to witness a wolf being stabbed, and quickly melted into sand.
Using his magic, he took a small amount of water and poured it on the sand where the wolf melted, and the instant he did, the wet sand exploded, leaving a long howl in the process.

The event managed to capture the attention of other ponies, and those who are unicorns started to take some of his water to help defeat the wolves.

Things were starting to be great with the ponies until they saw, on the far end of town, opposite to where the train tracks were, a huge wolf was starting to take shape, half the size of the cliff.
The ponies' jaws dropped, allowing fear to hit them into their very souls.
The smaller wolves went towards it, and melting themselves to join the huge sand wolf.

Its eyes glowed yellow as it howled to the stormy heavens above them.

Though in panic, the ponies stood their ground, preparing to fight, while those who gave in to fear, ran to the train.
Strating it up was impossible. The coal-powered engine car was swallowed by a hill of sand, and so were the rest of the cars.

The giant wolf took a step forward.
Henry, though terrified, need to think of something fast.
Aurora landed beside him, looking terrified.

"We should leave...!"
Aurora shouted out of fear.

Out of all the ponies, only the pegasi ponies would be able to leave the place unharmed, but...

Henry looked around, and he saw the scared-yet-determined looks on the ponies.
He has an idea, but he's not sure if it'll work.
He quickly ran to the old mare unicorn, and upon arrival, he caught her attention.

"Can we pour water on that thing!?"
Henry shouted so the mare could hear him through the harsh sound of the sandy wind.

"No! We can't do that!"

"And why is that!?"

"Sand wolves won't be able to become sand again if they get wet!"

"So!?"

"If the sand wolves do get wet, they become a solid permanent figure!"

"How bad could that possibly be!?"

"They become more powerful if they do!"

Henry didn't understand the logic there, but these old ponies look like they're experts on that matter, so he'll just have to trust them.
He turned to look at the slow-approaching giant sand wolf.
He needs to do something to turn the sand wolf back to sand, but how will he---
The cliff's walls!

He quickly turned around with a determined smile.

"I have an idea!"

The ponies nearby heard him and slowly walked towards him.
Aurora joined in.

"I need you and the rest of the ponies to gather up a huge amount of water from the water pumps!"

"That's good and all," yelled one of the ponies from the crowd.
"but how are we gonna turn that thing into sand!?"

Henry turned, and raised his head to see the wolf straight forward.
And then, he tilted his head up, staring at the cliff's walls with a grin.

The crowd of ponies looked at where he was looking at, and a smile flashed on their faces.

"Well son! Don't you dare fail us!"

Henry nodded, and soon, he concentrated a large amount of magic energy on his horn, aimed at one of the cliff's walls.
His horn glowed in brownish-white light, and the slow-moving sand wolf sensed it's threat.
On it's dragged feet, small wolves came out, and started running towards the ponies.

"Incoming!"
Aurora shouted while the unicorns were busy summoning water out of their water pumps.
The earth and pegasi ponies went a few feet in front of the green alicorn, carrying hayforks and wooden sticks on their mouths, preparing themselves for battle.

"Water ready!"
Shouted one of the stallions behind the alicorn.

Henry, despite appreciating the ponies' attempt to help him, he doesn't want to see them get hurt just for his sake.
Though he's not yet satisfied of the intensity of the energy he gathered in his horn, he hoped that it would be enough.

After a few seconds of checking his aim, he fired the intense brown beam towards the high parts of the cliff walls.
A huge explosion erupted from the impact, and huge chucks of rocks and boulders started to fall on top of the giant wolf.
It howled in pain. Its legs sank, chucks of rocks fell on its back, leaving holes as the rocks got through.
Henry quickly fired a weaker beam at the cliff again, creating a small explosion, enough to move another huge boulder, smashing down on the wolf's head.
The event made the fast-approaching sand wolves to melt into sand before reaching the ponies.
Quickly, the other unicorns levitated the large gathered water on top of the wolf, pouring it down before the wolf could return its form again, and after, a huge explosion of sand erupted.

After a few seconds, the wind started to calm and the black clouds started to fade, allowing the moon to shine down.
The ponies started to cheer as the old unicorn mare thanked the green alicorn with a hug.

Aurora just stood there with a smile on her face.
She was amazed of the alicorn's work.
She remembered what she said, that Henry was old enough to be her father.
A tear ran down her face. She wished her father would have been as cool as this green alicorn.
Even though he didn't know the ponies living here, Henry was willing to help them.

After they broke their hug, Aurora quickly flew towards him and surprised him with a hug as she cried.
Tommorow, she'll tell him about her parents...

Henry, after recovering from the state of slight shock, returned the hug.

----------
5. Welcome To A New Life
----------

The train became operational again in the early morning.

The conductor made sure that no passengers were left behind before the train started moving.

Henry and Aurora were back on their seats, enjoying some bread the pony folks gave them.
There were too many to carry, so they made it into a little feast where every pony can have some, while they only took two pieces each.

They were having small talk while they were eating inside the train.

"---and then when the rocks fell over on that giant wolf, my heart was really pounding hard!"
Exclaimed the happy Aurora, mixing it with movements of her hooves.
Henry just smiled. She's been talking about what he did.
She then looked at him, "Why did you help them, anyway?"

"Well, they needed some help."

"Yeah, but you don't know them..."
Her face was turning to confusion.
"Do you really help out a lot?"

Henry weakly laughed as he scratched his nape.
"Well, I suppose... It's my nature, I think?"
He doesn't really know.

Ever since he settled down in PonyVille, he learned the value of helping others, even if they didn't asked him to help them.
They did help him when he was starting out. Maybe he was just returning the favor?
Maybe not...

Aurora, suddenly looking sad, turned her head down, staring at the gray carpet of the car.
"I wish my dad were like you..."

Henry's smile evaporated.

"I never liked my dad...and my mom..."
She turned to the window, staring at the golden horizon.
"...they kept on fighting... And then they left me..."

Henry puts his hoof on her shoulder.
She held his hoof with her own.

---

I was born in Cloudsdale with my parents.
My father was born there as well, while my mom was from PonyVille.

My mom loved us so much.
So was my dad, I think, until one day, when I was still a little filly, and I learned how to fly.

I don't understand why.
Before, my dad would always encourage me to try to fly.
He and my mom always smiled at me when I try, and it really cheered me up.
But when I did learn how to fly, that's when things went bad.

My mom and dad started fighting.
I don't know why. I never understood why.

It went on for weeks. I kept crying...
Maybe I shouldn't have let myself learn to fly...
But it was too late.

One day in art class, I read myself a filly book, and I saw a drawing of an aurora.
Somehow, it made me smile.
I don't know why, though.
So, since I couldn't bring the book with me, I decided to draw it.

My teacher saw what I was doing, and she liked it, and so were my classmates.
And, that's how I got my cutie mark.

My teacher said that it'll really make my parents happy.
And it gave me hope.
Finally, they'll stop fighting when they see my cutie mark...
...but...
...I guess...my hopes were too high...

---

Henry haven't really realized it yet that he was already brushing her mane slowly, trying to make her feel a bit better.
It doesn't seem to work, but Aurora didn't want him to stop.
Tears were already flowing down her face as she shared with him her life.

She was still staring outside the glass window, but staring at nothing.
She sniffed.

"My dad became a very violent pony..."

Henry does understand why her father acted that way.

In ancient history, the pegasi were a very proud nation of warriors.
When their young finally learned how to fly, they are directly sent to training during the great pony war of heaven and earth.
And although history is long gone, Cloudsdale still practices the method of leaving their child once they already knew how to fly, no matter what age they might be.
It's the law, and Cloudsdale is strict in following their laws, as well as their citizens.
Those who couldn't handle the law fled to neighboring settlements.

Henry concluded, that Aurora's father might be trying to leave her, but her mother, coming from PonyVille, doesn't want to leave her. If ever they're caught, they'll be either jailed or banished.

One day though, Aurora will learn the truth, but her young mind might need to rest for a while.

"My mom and dad disappeared one day... I was left alone..."
She sniffed as she wiped her teary eyes with both her hooves.
"I didn't know what to do. Flight school was too much work for me... I couldn't keep up."
She sniffed once more.
"Every night, I wished to see my parents again, but it never happened. I was teased, bullied..."
She choked a bit.
"It took me years to gain the courage to leave that damn place!"

She shook her head in anger and quickly burried her face on Henry's chest, wrapping her hooves around him as she shed her tears.
Henry returned the hug, rubbing her back.
"There there..."

Though he read a few books with scenes like this, actually feeling it in real life is strange.
He doesn't know what to say to calm her down. Should he just stay quiet?
No, he needs to say something, but he lost all words.

Henry thought, that maybe she's not really going to PonyVille for a vacation.
Maybe she's going to try and look for her mother?

But what if she's not there?
What would she do? Where would she go?

The thoughts saddened the alicorn.

Aurora then broke the hug, and started to wipe her tears.
"S-sorry... I just needed to hug someone..."

Henry smiled weakly.
"It's no problem."

The train started to slow down.
The train reached the second stop of the journey.
They both turned to the window, and saw a small town surrounded by trees and hills.
Aurora noticed small hills were separating the grassy and forested fields from the plain desert field.

"Mister Henry..."
Aurora said with a low tone, still staring at the small town through the glass window.
"...if I couldn't find my mother... can I stay with you, for a little while?"

Henry thought about it for a moment.
If she does stay with him, then, she'll find out what he really is.
He does want to help, but...

"It's okay if you don't... I understand..."

"I'll..." he paused. He really needs to think this through.

Aurora slowly turned her head, looking at him.

---

It was late afternoon when the train arrived in PonyVille.
A number of ponies exited the train, and among them were Henry and Aurora.

Aurora smiled after seeing the peaceful and merry town.
She's going to have a new life here, she assume.

Up ahead, the new arrivals were greeted by a little pink earth pony, shaking their hooves with a smile as she hands them some pink invitation letters.
She eventually worked her way to Aurora, suddenly taking one of her front hooves and started shaking them, and stuck an invitation letter on her mouth before she could say something.
The pink pony then walked towards the green alicorn.

Henry smiled.
"Hey Pinkie---"

Pinkie Pie stuck an invitation letter on his mouth, disabling him from talking.
He gave her an annoyed look.

"Sorry Mister Henry. But lots of new ponies in town! I better give them these invitation letters fast so I can set up the party!"
And with that, she quickly went towards a couple, welcoming them and handing them invitation letters.

'I thought you can quickly do that with your party cannon.'
Henry thought bitterly as he took the letter off of his mouth with his hoof.

"Is she always like that?"
Aurora asked.

Henry smiled in defeat, "Yep, that's our Pinkie Pie..."

They then worked their way to the library, where Henry is hoping that the second floor's spare room will be okay for her.
They were half-way there when a dark-orange pegasus mare pony with red mane and tail called the alicorn's attention.
They both turned to the source of the voice, and saw the pegasus slowly landing in front of them.

"About time you got here. Mister Mayor wants to see you."

While they continued talking, Aurora couldn't help but stare at the pegasus.
Eventually, the pegasus' gaze went to her, and was startled a bit.

They were quiet for a while, to Henry's confusion.
After looking at them both, he knew what was going on and smiled.

"Aurora? Is...is that you?"

Aurora's eyes suddenly went teary. She couldn't believe it.
She hugged her mother tightly as she allowed her tears to fall.
"Mom, it's you! It's really you!"

Her mother quickly returned her hug.
"Aurora... Oh, how I miss you..."

Reunion...
Something Henry felt a long time ago.
And no matter how many times he read those scenes in a book, nothing is more satisfying than experiencing it in real life.

----------

Originally Written on July 20, 2012

Updates...
- November 7, 2012 - Added An Image