• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventures Of Henry Hoof In Equestria - destinedjagold



a sequel of my first MLP: FiM fanfic (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34650/Changeling---Henry-Hoof)

  • ...
1
 20
 1,435

Chapter 01 - Ember's Flame

Author's Note:

Updates
- October 21, 2012 - Added An Image
- January 24, 2014 - Edited [1. Street Thief]

Chapter 1 - Ember's Flame

----------
1. Street Thief
----------

The soft rays of the rising sun made its way through the transparent glass window of a moving train that was heading to Fillydelphia, and landed softly on the eyelids of a sleeping black changeling inside one of the train's private rooms. The soft rays weren't enough to wake him. Soon however, the train finally started to stop, and rocked the room which woke him up by surprise.

"Alright, I'm up! Geez..." he groaned as he rubbed his eyes. He let out a long yawn as he slowly disguised himself as a green alicorn pony. His name was Henry Hoof. He levitated his glasses to his face that fell from the table to the red soft carpeted floor.

Finally, the train went to a full stop. Through his window, he could see that the train stopped inside a large structure; Fillydelphia's Train Station. A lot of ponies stood and walked and flew around the busy place. It didn't look as orderly as Canterlot's train station.

Here, small business stalls were circling the large pillars of the structure. Sales ponies shouted their products at the ponies who passed by their stalls. The four ticket booths were having long lines of ponies, and the wide staircases leading outside to the city was crowded as well. Some ponies even sat on the stair steps, where some were playing their guitars and drums, and some were just begging for Bits.

Suddenly, just right in front of him, he saw a fast-running unicorn pony being chased by three other ponies who wore police uniforms. Henry stuck his head on the glass window, hoping to catch a few more of the action. The other ponies ignored the event while some just tried to extend their hooves to make the running unicorn get off of their balance. Henry didn't get the chance to see the conclusion of the event, for it was now blocked by ponies who were now exiting the train.

"Rarity was right..." he slowly said, "...that book I read about this city truly was outdated..."

He sighed as he turned to the red wide chair of his private room where his sister's brown sidebag lay, and as well as his white journey hat that little Rarity made for him. He smiled as he remembered showing little Rarity his sister's drawing of Daring Do, and he requested to make him the very same hat on the drawing. Little Rarity complained about the out-of-fashion hat request, but she did it anyway.

He wore his sidebag, wore the hat and headed out the door. He moved towards the train's exit and felt kind of nervous and doubtful of stepping outside, but he needed to, because he was already creating a line of annoyed ponies behind him.

As he went out, he immediately felt the weird atmosphere of the area, and the dusty air. His nervousness quickly vanished when he spotted a vendor stand selling Daisy Bread, his favorite bread. He managed to slowly walk towards it, despite the large number of ponies walking pass him in random directions. He was only a few feet away when his path was finally cleared from ponies. He smiled as he continued on until a random pony bumped into him, but fortunately, none fell off of their hooves.

"Oh, I'm so sorry...!" said the yellow mare earth pony with a dark-blue messy mane and burned tail.

"No no, it's no problem," and Henry bowed, but the mare earth pony hurried away, leaving the alicorn confused .

He payed her no mind as he walked towards the stand and made his order. Five Bits seemed to be a bit expensive for one Daisy Bread, but he still wanted one. He used his magic to open his sidebag to get his pouch bag where he kept his Bits and...

"Hm..." he couldn't sense his pouch bag inside, so he moved his sidebag in front of his face.

"Is something the matter, sir?" the orange male middle-aged unicorn pony asked.

Henry dropped his sidebag from the brown aura, revealing a shocked look on his face. His pouch bag was not there, he just got mugged!

Who could haveā€”that yellow earth pony that bumped into him!
He quickly turned to where that thief went, but the crowd of ponies blocked him from seeing further ahead, so he flapped his wings to get airborne, and after he scanned the area...there! The thief was making her hasty escape on the wide starcase! She quickly ran to make her escape out of the station without looking back.

He needed to chase after her, but before that, he landed immediately in front of the vendor, "I'll be back!" and with that, he flew straight to the stairs.

Outside, he immediately felt the dusty wind of the city, but he payed it no mind. He quickly looked around, and to his right, he saw a glimpse of a running pony in the shadows of an alley. He smiled as he dashed after her, only to be stopped by a pony police.

"Whoa there, youn' fellah."

"Sorry officer! I just got robbed!" he quickly replied and ran around the police unicorn pony to make chase.

The police pony called the attention of his two other comrades who were eating on a doughnut stand. They then quickly followed the green alicorn.

The alleyway was a dead-end. The yellow earth pony disregarded this fact and continued running towards it with her current speed. Henry just got inside the alleyway and saw the earth pony jumped towards the wall and managed to take a few more steps on the vertical wall to reach the top, and immediately jumped to the other side. Henry was somehow enjoying this little chase of theirs. He flapped his wings hard to immediately bring himself in mid-air.

The yellow pony however thought that her victim was a unicorn, so she was now convinced that she won't be followed as she slowly decreased her speed until it seemed like she was just walking with the other ponies in the street, as if nothing happened. With her black sidebag, and with the weight of the pouch bag she snatched, she grinned for she caught a big one today.

Fillydelphia, a city full of grey buildings and dusty streets where ponies walk towards their destinations. Each mind their own business, unless they meet someone they recognize in the streets. She crossed the street on the pedestrian lane after the traffic light was red for carriages to stop, and for ponies to cross. She was heading towards the city's oldest bridge that connected the city to an island from a distance. She flashed a smile as she stared at the island.

The bridge was full of moving carriages. Under the bridge, on the sandy shoreline stood a small house built from wood and different worn-out clothes stitched together. This part of the city was quiet and free from a crowd of ponies. The yellow earth pony climbed up the bridge's fences and finally went to the other side, where the ground was now sand instead of cement. She then slowly walked towards the house, smile gone, replaced by a worried look on her face. She heard a weak set of coughs coming from the house.

"Brother..." she softly said as she moved a clothe with her hoof for her to enter, where on a dirty brown thick folded blanket lies a small red earth pony with an orange mane under a blue rag he used as a blanket. Under his closed eyes are very black eye bags. Though it wasn't cold, he was shivering, and coughing weakly. The very sight broke the yellow earth pony's heart as she slowly sat beside her sick brother. She puts her hoof on her brother's head, and slowly rubbed his head. Their poor house had no ceiling, though the bridge took care of that.

"...big sis..." he slowly moved his head, but he was hushed by her sister.

"Don't exert yourself, brother... Please..." she then took the pouch bag she snatched and placed it in front of her, and oh how her eyes widened when she saw a large amount of Bits. "Brother... I can finally get you healed...!" she whispered, making her brother flash a weak smile.

"That must mean you have a large amount of Bits there!" said a loud voice from outside.

She gasped, for she knew who that voice belonged to. She quickly placed the pouch bag back inside her bag, and then she went outside, where three unicorn stallions stood a few feet from her, grinning mischievously.

"Hello Ember," greeted the gray unicorn, "a fine day we're having, huh?"

"What do you want this time!?" Ember, the yellow earth pony, snarled, "I thought I already entertained you guys earlier this morning!" she continued as she wagged her burnt tail twice.

"Entertained is right!" laughed the blue unicorn.

"Well, Ember," said the white unicorn, "we just happened to pass by, and oh, what good news did we just hear!"

"You heard nothing but nonsense, Whitey!" she spat.

"Okay, let's cut to the chase then," the white unicorn said, unamused by the earth pony's attempt of hiding it, "give us the dough and we will not hurt you this time."

The three unicorns' horns started to radiant some magic aura, making the earth pony feel nervous.

The gray unicorn grinned. "Looks like our leader here wants to end this fast."

"So we'll have to count from one to ten," the blue one said, "...one..."

A sweat ran down from Ember's nervous face.

"...two...NINE...!"

The earth pony gulped as she closed her eyes. No way she was giving the Bits to them. She needed them, more than anything right now, even if it would mean be burned by the three unicorn's magic.

"TEN!"

And in an instant, the three unleashed beams of energy from their horns, all directed to the earth pony.

She expected to be fried right about now, but after a few seconds of nothing, she slowly opened one of her eyes, only to see before her the three bullies being enveloped within white magic from three police officer ponies.

"You sirs, are coming with us!" said one of the police unicorn ponies.

Startled, she took a step back, but she bumped into another pony behind her. She slowly and nervously turned her head to see who it was. It was a tall and very familiar green pony with a horn, like those of a unicorn, and he was wearing black glasses and a white hat, and he was angry at her.

"I'd like to get my money back, if you please." Henry said sternly. He then heard a set of weak coughs, but he decided to ignore them for a while.

She couldn't run from this, she thought. Tears started to form on her eyes as she slowly took Henry's pouch bag out from her bag. She slowly put it down on the sand as tears started flowing down her face.

A police pony rolled his eyes as he walked towards the green alicorn while the other two walked away, bringing with them the three unicorns. Henry used his magic to put his pouch bag back inside his bag.

"Trust me sir," the white police unicorn pony said as he reached them, "these street rats are better than actors when they're caught."

Though the earth pony did stole his money, she at least had a good excuse of committing the crime, unlike those three. He turned to the police who was about to envelop the thief with his magic.

"Please wait," Henry said, catching both ponies' attention. He turned to the earth pony, "Ember, right?"

She slowly nodded, and looked down on the sand.

"I forgive you," he smiled.

Both ponies couldn't believe what they heard from him. Ember shook her head in disbelief.

"Sir, this here is a criminal."

"Yes, I am aware," he looked at the police pony, "but there won't be a reason of putting them in jail if their victims forgive them, right? (at least, that's what I read in the books)"

"Er... I...suppose." He looked around, doubtful. "Alright then," the police pony sighed, nodded, and walked away.

"You didn't have to do that..." the earth pony slowly said, looking down on the sand, trying to hold her tears as she heard another set of weak cough.

"Tell me, are you from that island over there?" Henry looked at the island in a distance, and even pointed with his hoof.

Ember didn't bother moving her head. She knew what island he was talking about. "Y-yes..." she said as she closed her eyes.

"If you needed money that badly," Henry looked at her, "maybe I could hire you as my tour-guide?"

That didn't seem to make her feel anything near better. Yes, she needed money for her brother, but now she has to work to get them, plus, she has to go back to her home. She shook her head.

"No thanks." she replied coldly, to Henry's surprise.

"B-but..."

"I said 'no'! Now get lost!" she shouted angrily at him, making Henry take a step back.

He frowned, he only wanted to help. Of course, earlier, he wanted this thief to be brought to justice, but while we was stalking her, he saw her smile when she saw the island far away. He also saw her little brother's condition while he was hovering above their little house. If she doesn't want his help, then he won't force her. He slowly turned and started walking away, but he stopped after he heard a weak voice.

"S...sister..."

It was quiet for a while. None moved an inch. Finally, Henry heard a heavy sigh behind him.

"I'll...take the job..." Ember said, completely hating herself for this decision.

Henry smiled as he turned to face her. "Thanks." Though his smile quickly evaporated when he saw her worried look while she stared at her house. "First thing's first..."

Ember looked at him.

"Let's get your brother to a hospital."

----------
2. A Favor
----------

In a white clean room inside Fillydelphia Radiant Hospital, Ember's brother is lying down on his back on a white comfy bed. He is wearing an oxygen mask and on his right foreleg was a thick and small tube connected to a hung-up dextrose. On the left side of the bed was Ember, sitting on a white chair, her head and both her front hooves were resting on the bed, asleep.

Earlier that afternoon, the doctor confirmed the filly's recovery, and he'll be back in good shape in two weeks time. Though it was good news, Ember felt like a heavy gravity is pulling her down. Where would she get the money for her brother? Even though she got hired as the island's tour guide for that green alicorn, it wouldn't be enough.

But after Henry noticed the grim look on her face, he flashed a small paper in front of her. She read whatever was written on it, and she was surprise after finding out that it was a receipt. Henry already payed for her brother's stay in the hospital. Tears immediately formed on both her eyes, but Henry asked her not to cry and not to hu---she quickly hugged him tight, thanking him. He joined the hug.

Henry soon left the hospital and he flew back to the train station to get himself a Daisy Bread. He flew back to the hospital after he bought two pieces of bread, only to see the sleeping brother and sister in the room.

Near the room's door was Henry, seated on a white chair. With his brown magic, he floated his notebook and quill, writing down the things of what happened earlier. He thought that maybe those events will be useful for his book, or a sequel if he gets the chance. He stopped writing after he noticed Ember slowly waking up. He's been wanting to ask her about, with her age, why hadn't she got her cutie mark yet.

She looks as old as Cheerilee, maybe older, but she...maybe she hadn't figured out her special talent yet?
Or maybe she hadn't found her special place in the world?
He wants to ask her, but on the right time.

Ember smiled as she gently rubbed her brother's head.

Finally, she's awake. Henry's been wanting to go now. He took a deep breath, and...
Ember suddenly stood up and quickly turned to face him with a determined look and smile on her face.

"Let's go." she announced towards the startled alicorn.

Both ponies walked out of the hospital and took a carriage in front of a line of carriages in the parking area of the hospital near the entrance. Henry told the drivers(since they're also the ones who'll pull the carriage) their destination.

Ember has never been inside a carriage before. She was looking really excited and cheerful as she turn her head left and right to see the scene outside of the carriage's windows. Henry just smiled, for she somehow reminded him of his little sister.

It took them roughly twenty minutes to get to the island.
Near the bridge was a little town. Henry and Ember went off of the carriage and with his magic, he lifted some Bits towards the earth pony drivers.

"This is Little Filly Town," she said as they both started to walk on the earthy path of the town.

The small town, aside from the bridge, is surrounded by trees. The houses are made from wood, and the houses' roofs are made of bamboo stalks. Unlike PonyVille, the town has a less number of residents. It was because everypony on the island dreams to live big in the big city, Ember explained.

"Is that why you and your brother were in the city?" Henry asked, but all he received was a frowned look on Ember's face. He didn't bother to ask further.

Ember took him to the other side of the town, where an earthy path in between the trees lies ahead.

"This route will take you to Ember Town. It's the nearest town if you want to visit the ruins." Ember explained, looking straight at the path. She took a deep breath, and exhaled.

Both looked at each other. Ember then smiled.

"Well, I'll be here to wait for you."

Henry didn't like that idea.

"What? You have wings. You can fly there no problem."

He arched his eyebrow. A sweat ran down her face.

"Is something wrong with going to Ember Town, Ember?" he asked, though he couldn't hold his smile. She and the town had the same name though.

She looked down to the ground with a weak laugh. "N-no, of course not."
She then looked back at her client, "But uh, maybe we should, y'know, stay for the night?"

Henry blinked. He didn't realize the time. The sun was already setting, and it'll be dark soon. He sighed.

The town only had one inn, and it had two available rooms on the first floor, and four on the second floor.
The two of them were the only customers, so Henry took the two rooms available in the first floor, despite Ember's plead that they'll take the available ones on the other floor.

"Why spend two rooms?" Ember asked out loud as she opened her room's door, which was just in front of Henry's.

Henry remembered about what his sister had taught him a year ago. He laughed weakly and greeted her good night.
There was also one reason, though. He doesn't want her to find out about him being a Changeling. Who knows what she'll do if she ever finds out.

Henry's room was small and dimly lit by a candle on the windowless wall. The other two walls each has a window, showing the town under the evening blanket. Each were partially covered by brownish-white curtains. His bed was medium-sized, made out of wood and has a white matress on top, covered by a lavender-colored two-layer blanket, and one small lavender pillow. There was also a wooden table and chair near the right window. He took off his hat and sidebag with his magic and puts them on the table. He turned to his bed when he heard three soft knocks on his door.

"Oh, uh, come in..." he said, startled a bit. He wasn't expecting anyone.

The door knob turned and the door slowly began to open, revealing a sad-looking Ember. She took a few steps inside.

"Um, may I come in?" she asked, nervous.

Henry gave her a flat look. "You already are..." he sighed.
"Something the matter?"

"Well..." her voice trailed off as she pulled the door back with her foreleg, and continued to close it with her hind leg.
Henry needs to take a note of that.
"I have a lot of questions..."

This will take long, Henry thought. He invited her to sit on the chair as he sat down on his bed.
He nodded after Ember sat down.

"Well uh..." she stared at the foot of the bed, "...why'd you help me and my brother?"

Henry formulated some words in his head before he answered.
"I just felt sorry for the two of you. I mean..." he scratched his throat, "your brother needed help."

"I know that..." she said with a cold voice, "But that's not the answer I was expecting."
She slowly faced him, making eye-contact, "...We've been there for almost two years now, and no one ever helped us, except you." she immediately closed her eyes and lifted a hoof to wipe the forming tears on her eyes.

Henry was about to get off of bed to pat her shoulder or back, but she quickly stopped him without looking.

"Don't stand, I'm fine..." she said, her voice slightly squeeked on the word "I'm"...
She sniffed as she opened her eyes and looked at him.
"I just...wanna know, why?"

Henry couldn't really answer that question. He doesn't know as well.
Maybe because he remembers his little sister when he sees her? Probably not...
Maybe he just really felt like helping them because they needed help? He already said that...
He sighed.

"Are all...alicorns like to help, whenever they can?"
Henry was surprised a bit. She turned to the foot of the bed once again.

"I'm..." Henry started slowly, "...not really an alicorn, though..."

"Then what are you?" she immediately replied, angry a bit as she faced him.
"You have a horn, you can use magic, and you have wings so you can fly."

Henry looked at himself before he answered.
"Well, yes, I have those, but I think Princess Celestia is a proper example of an alicorn."

"What's the difference?"

"Well, she's powerful, of course, and much...bigger(?), in size, and she's royal, and...uh..." he trailed off...
Those were the only things he could think of.

"So, you've met her?"

"Well yes, I have---wait..." he just noticed that their conversation switched direction.
"What are we talking about again?"

She tilted her head slowly to the floor as her expression changed to sadness.

"C-can I ask a favor?"

"Hm?"

"Please...?"

Yes or no, Henry couldn't decide.
"What is it?" a safe counter-question, he smiled.

But she didn't respond.
After a few minutes of silence, she stood up and walked towards the door.
"Forget it... Thanks anyway, and good night."
And with that, she closed his door, leaving him alone in his room.

He sighed as he used his magic to lift his glasses off of him and puts it down on the table.
Table... No, she couldn't be...!

He immediately used his magic to lift his bag towards him, opened it and...the pouch bag is still there, as well as his notebook and quill and ink bottle.

A relief. Finally, he no longer has to worry about her taking his stuff.
He puts his bag back on the table and used his magic to turn the candle's flame out and he went to sleep.

----------
3. Tied Together
----------

It took them two hours of walking to reach Ember Town.
Henry now is wondering one thing. From the time they woke up, Ember hadn't said a word, even now that they reached the small quiet town. She kept wearing an angry look.
During their journey, Ember was in front to lead the way. She didn't complain about taking breaks.

Ember Town is looking the same as Little Filly Town, except, this town's bigger and has more houses, and more ponies.
But unlike the previous town, the residents here are all Earth Ponies, from the looks of the ponies around town.

"Let's get this over with..." she grumbled as she started to walk until Henry called her name, making her stop and turn to him. "What?"

"Is there a reason why you're angry all of a sudden?"
'All of a sudden' wasn't really the set of words Henry wanted to use, but...

"Nothing." she plainly replied, "Let's just go and..."

A pale-red earth pony walked behind Ember and greeted them. Henry smiled and greeted the young colt back, disregarding Ember's shocked expression. Henry soon noticed that the colt hasn't acquired his cutie mark yet.
Another sweat ran down her face. The colt's voice sounded familiar, and she doesn't like it, not one bit.
She felt a hard pound on her back.

"Hey, Ember!" the colt patted her back with his hoof as soon as he was standing beside her.
The young colt's voice was loud enough for the other pony's in the area to hear. They all smiled and started to whisper to each other as they gather around them.
Henry wasn't really liking what's going on, and he's clueless, adding to his confusion.
Ember started to drift back to reality as a series of questions were thrown at her by the excited ponies.

The young red stallion hushed everyone so Ember will get the chance to talk as Henry hid himself in the crowd. Luckily for him, he's as tall as the rest of the middle-aged ponies.

"Now, com'on Ember," the colt started, removing his hoof on her back, "sorry if we all don't 'ave a welcomin' party for yeh return, but welcome home!"

"Home?" Henry asked himself as the crowd cheered.
He felt a bit nostalgic. The cheering made him remember PonyVille for some odd reason.
Maybe it's because of that little Pinkie Pie.
Whenever he needs to go away from PonyVille, Pinkie Pie throws him a goodbye party, and everytime he comes back, the pink earth pony floats in mid-air again and, as if by magic, his house became a welcome back party.
Even the night before he took the train here to Fillydelphia, she threw another goodbye party.
He shivered. Maybe he's going to have to attend another welcome party. He sighed at the thought.
"Too much cake..." he whispered.

Ember responded with an awkward and nervous laugh. And suddenly, to her surprise, the young colt grabbed her right hoof with both his hooves. He looked at her romantically, blushing slightly, while Ember was both blushing and feeling nervous. The crowd's eyes were glittering, while Henry was looking at the two ponies awkwardly while sticking his tongue out.

"And here I thought you'd never return..." the young colt whispered, making the green alicorn roll his eyes.

Ember was feeling really nervous. She needs to do something. Without moving her head, she scanned the audience, and there!

"Um..." she managed to say.

"Yes?" he responded, his head slowly getting closer to her.

"Actually...I ah..." she gulped, "...I'm...engaged..."

The crowd gasped. The young colt, feeling his heart just break, immediately let her hoof go and took a step back.
Henry is busy taking down notes on what is happening.

"S-say that again..." the young colt dared her. He couldn't believe it. How could he believe it?

"I'm...engaged..." she lied as she nervously turned her head to the audience, and lifted her hoof and pointed one of them.
"I'm engaged...with him."

The audience cleared the way to reveal a green alicorn busy taking notes. Henry, noticing like a lot of eyes were looking at him, returned his attention to his surroundings and found himself being pointed by Ember.
He blinked. "What?"

The young colt stomped his hoof angrily on the ground.
"What in tarnation is this!?" he snarled as he walked towards him. Henry returned his quill and notebook back in his bag.
"You mean to tell me that you are engaged with this green skinny slime horn-headed featherback pony!?" and he stopped right in front of him.

Henry blinked once more, slowly processing what is happening. The young colt angrily turned his head to Ember.
"Prove it!"

Ember gulped as Henry finally caught up to what was happening. He flashed an angry look.

"Now wait a minute! I've got n---"

Ember quickly dashed to him, stopped beside him, grabbed his head, closed her eyes and pulled his head to her and kissed.
Henry was shocked, while the young colt felt his heart shattered.

Ember and Henry broke the kiss, and she immediately turned to the young stallion.
"You've got a lot of explaining to do..." Henry angrily whispered to her ear.
"Just play along." she whispered back.
"Was this the favor you were about to ask me last night?"

A number of ponies overheard him say those last two words, and repeated them around as if they were an endless echo.

"Yes!" Ember announced, "We've talked about it last night."

"Where are you going with this?" Henry whispered, but Ember payed him no mind as she took a step forward.

"And we're going to have our honeymoon at the ruins."

Henry lowered his head in embarrassment and covered his face with his hat.
'This will not end well...' he thought.

The crowd however, slowly flashed a smile. It was a sign that they respected her decision. Unfortunately for the young colt, who was crying now, suddenly ran away.
Ember felt pity for him, but...

----------
4. The Ruined
----------

Ember was once again reunited with her parents. She twisted the truth a bit when they asked about her little brother.
She said that she was lucky to have fallen in love with Henry (Henry felt the cold shivers). If it wasn't for Henry, she wouldn't have been able to send her little brother to a hospital.
She told them that he will fully recover in two weeks time.
That was a big relief to hear from her parents.

Henry however, received a lot of back pats (and even hurtful ones) from Ember's family relatives, especially from her father, who was really happy and started treating him like his best buddy.

Henry just...played along. He sighed.

It was time for sleep. Ember's family cleaned her old room for them to stay for the night. The moonlit room was somewhat bigger than his room back in the inn. The only thing Henry was worried about is the bed. There was only one bed in the room, and he didn't like where this is going.
Ember's parents pushed them inside and immediately closed the door behind them and greeted them good night.

They looked at each other; Ember flashing a weak and 'please forgive me' smile while Henry flashed a very very angry glare.

Ember escaped the death glare and walked towards the bed. Lucky for Henry, the room has a wooden stool and table. He didn't bother to remove his hat or glasses as he sat down on the chair and puts his head on the table, looking all tired and satisfied.

Ember jumped on her old bed and lied down, and just noticed her alicorn companion.

"Aren't you going to join me in bed?" she asked with an annoyed tone on her voice, "We are couples, after all."

Henry just replied with an angry stare. He then covered his face with his hat and then he closed his eyes. Ember rolled her eyes and went to sleep. A lot of things are running around in Henry's mind, but one thing's certain, he needs to be awake for the whole evening.

After an hour, he heard Ember's soft snoring. He waited a couple of minutes before he stood up and slowly went to the door. He went outside the room and slowly worked his way out of the house. He's sleepy, and he plans to sleep in the nearby trees. He only needs a five-hour sleep anyway, so when he wakes up, he'll just return to the room and pretend like nothing happened. But after he got out of the house, he saw the young stallion who Ember dumped ealier, sitting a few feet and blankly staring at the wooden roof, his mind deeply lost in thought. Henry was just standing in front of the door, blankly staring at the colt.

Finally, after a few minutes, the young colt let out a heavy sigh and slowly brought his sight towards the door, where he just noticed the green alicorn who stole the one he loves the most. The door slowly closed itself, creating a quiet sqeaking noise in the process.
Anger quickly grew in his face, but before he could say anything, Henry raised his hoof towards him.

"Er... I know you're angry and all, but uh," he slowly looked around the dark and quiet town, "ponies are sleeping at this hour, so, uh..."

"I don't care 'bout nothin', you good fer nothin' piece of sh**!"

He cursed! Henry couldn't believe it. It was his first time to hear a pony curse.
He'll definitely have to take a note of that.

While Henry was a bit lost in his thoughts, he didn't realize that the young stallion was already in front of him, and punched him hard in his face, throwing him to his left. His glasses escaped his face as he landed hard on the ground. He was about to get back on his feet when the stallion kicked him with both his hind legs, throwing him further, and bumping on a neighboring wooden house, enough to wake the residents nearby.
Completely blinded by fury, he dashed towards the slowly rising alicorn and delivered a nasty headbutt, slamming him back to the wall. Henry was still in shock. He couldn't believe how powerfully strong and violent earth ponies are!
In front of him, the enraged stallion lifted his body in the air, preparing both his front hooves to drop on him, only to be stopped by a yellow earth pony who tackled him on his side, slightly throwing him to the ground.
Angered, he quickly rose back up and turned, only to be stopped, this time, by himself, when he saw Ember in front of him.

"Ember, I..."

A small crowd quickly formed, bringing with them some torches, providing enough light for him to see what he has done to the green alicorn. Blood was flowing down both his nose and head, and several bruises on his body. Henry was terrified.
He looked at Ember, trying her best to hold her tears as she stood strong in front to stop him from harming the alicorn.

He didn't mean it. No, maybe he did, but...
He's confused. He's broken, he's hurt, and he's not thinking straight anymore.
And finally, he could no longer stand to see her looking at him like that.
He ran away.

"W-wait...!" Henry, despite his injuries, shouted at the fleeing pony, but he was ignored.

Ember sighed, and slowly turned to the alicorn with a worried look. Henry didn't bother to look at her as he got himself back on his four feet. He's feeling angry, but not towards the colt.

He took a deep breath, and exhaled. He then faced her.
"Ember," he said, trying his best to hold his anger, "fix this before it gets worse."

Her parents quickly rushed to aid the alicorn back inside the house, leaving Ember on the spot, no longer sure what to do next.

Henry sat down on a stool and he was quickly being nursed by the family members in the house, even though he asked them not to worry about him too much.
They wiped his blood and tied a handkerchief on his head to hold the ice bag they put on his head. He didn't like it though. It felt like his brain's about to freeze.
A female earth filly came inside and gave him his glasses. Luckily, it wasn't broken or anything.

"Why did Ember left this place, anyway?" he managed to ask them after noticing that they finally slowed their pace.
Ember's mother dragged a stool in front of him and sat down, facing him. She let out a sigh.

Ember entered the nearby forest.

"When she was young, Ember, like many other young ponies, had always dreamed to live in the big city of Fillydelphia. She and Flame, the one who, injured you, were very close friends."

Ember stopped after she reached a large clearing, where a pond is silently reflecting the full moon's image, and on the edge of the pond was Flame, silently sitting down, his back facing her, head looking up to the moon.

"They have always spent almost everything together, despite their different dreams in life. While Ember dreamed to live big, Flame however, just wanted to have a normal peaceful life here in the town."

"Flame...?" Ember slowly and nervously said as she slowly walked towards his childhood friend.

"Go away, Ember... Be with your alicorn. And tell him I'm sorry..." he sobbed soon after, somehow, Ember felt her heart broke, and continued to walk towards him.

"Two years ago, if I could remember, she decided to go to the city for her to find her place in the world. She promised us that she'll return wealthy and successful, but Flame didn't want her to go."

Ember sat beside Flame, which he quickly turned his head away from her.

"I said go away, Ember..."

"Flame, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to---"

"You didn't mean to!?" he quickly faced her angrily, startling her.

"To try and stop her, there, right in front of us, and in front of her, Flame told her he loves her, more than just best friends. But my daughter already set her mind, and refused to accept his love. She was not being prideful. She has another reason why she wanted to go there. She wanted to earn a lot of money to cure our sick son, her little brother."

"I love you, Ember. Of all the ponies in the world, you're the only one I love..."

"A year ago, our son was gone, leaving behind a letter. On it, it said that he missed his sister and he wanted to go and look for her. The young filly couldn't possibly be serious, so we searched the entire town and the nearby forest, but there was no trace of him. My husband and I decided to go to the city, and Flame came along with us."

Ember looked down on the ground, blushing, and unsure of what to say.
"I'm...sorry..."

Those words were too hurtful to hear for Flame. He tried his best to pour all of his feelings, but still rejected. Hurt, he slowly looked down on the ground as well.

"I'm...just...not ready..." Ember slowly said.

Somehow, it ignited a faint glow of hope. Flame slowly faced her. Ember slowly shook her head.
"I mean... I don't...I don't know how to say it, but I...!"
Flame, from out of nowhere, kissed her, startling her, but soon returned the kiss.
And without them noticing, both their flanks shined, and finally, both acquired their cutie marks; a half red heart that seemed to be wrapped by a flame.

"Even with the police's help, their whereabouts are unknown... But now, at least we can finally breathe freely."
Her mother, and old yellow mare earth pony with dark green mane and tail, smiled. Her husband, nephew and niece already went back to sleep.

Henry smiled. He at least was able to help them out.

"Tell me," the old mare said, her voice, clearly, it'll be a change of topic, "how does a changeling like you end up being a wanderer?"

That took him by surprise! How did she know? Is his disguise down? He immediately looked at himself, hurting his head in the process.

"Calm down, dear, it's okay," she smiled, reassuring him as she fixed the ice bag on his head. "I won't tell nopony."

He nodded as the front door slowly opened, and a happy-looking Ember came inside.
Both him and her mother smiled at her.
"I'll take that," Henry started, "that things went well?"

Ember blushed, "More than well..."
She looked at her flank, specifically, at her cutie mark, but the old mare thought differently.

That however, evaporated her mother's smile.
"I'm not ready to have grandchildren, you hear!"

Ember was surprised to hear such a thing.
"Mother! That's not what...!"

"I don't want to hear about it!" and she walked back inside her room, leaving the two of them alone.

Henry looked at her and grinned, making Ember blush even more.
"I didn't...! We didn't...! Oh, nevermind!"
And she grumpily walked to her room, leaving Henry laughing a bit as he floated his notebook and quill.

----------
5. The Ancient Relic Castle
----------

A new day has arrived, and Henry was all set to go into the ruins after joining Ember and her family eating breakfast (hay and milk, his most disliked meal combination). He looked south and he can see the brownish-red pyramid-like ruins from afar, sticking out of the green leaves. He took a deep breath, stretched his wings, jogged in place, exhaled, and then...

"Wait up!"

He turned around and saw both Ember and Flame walking towards him.

"Good morning, love birds." Henry teased, making the two blush.

"Uh, yeah, uh..." Flame scratched his head as the two looked away in opposite directions.
He then faced him with an apologetic look, "I'm sorry 'bout what happened last night, Henry sir..."

"Don't worry about it," he smiled, "what happened last night was truly going to be useful for my book."

"You wanted to get hurt on purpose?" Ember innocently asked, making Henry frown.

"Of course not!" he fixed his glasses, "who'd want to get hurt, anyway?"

"Well," Ember smiled, "shall we head to the ruins?"

Henry nodded, and faced her lover.
"Want to come along?"

"A-actually, I better stay here. I need to fix the wall I destroyed last night."

"Oh," Henry recalled, "right, that...well..."
He grinned at Ember, who replied with an angry look.
"Are you sure you want us to go there alone?" he teased.

"What are you trying to say?" Flame asked, clearly not amused.

Henry laughed, a clear sign that he was joking. The two eased up.

"But seriously though..."
Henry wasn't sure if it is really okay for them to go alone in there.

Flame just nodded.
"You're good with that magic 'n stuff, so I'm pretty confident that you both will be safe."
Henry smiled, but quickly replaced by fear when Flame gave him an angry glare.
"But if something DOES happen to her, I'll turn you 'to an earth pony, if ya know what I mean."
Henry gulped and nodded countless times.

Flame smiled, "Good! Well, good luck!"
And before he walked away, he snatched a kiss from Ember, and went to his merry way.
Henry simply rolled his eyes.

They soon began to take the earthy path leading to the ruins. As they walked, Ember couldn't help but tell him how happy she was with Flame, telling him that she was such an idiot for running away and go around the big city for nothing.

"That reminds me..." Henry managed to ask, "why didn't you just return home?"

"Well..." she slowly turned onward, "...I really wanted to but..."
She took a deep breath and exhaled.
"I was stupid back then, holding me and brother because of some stupid promise I made that I'll return rich and successful."

"Well," Henry looked onward, "you are."

"I am?" she looked at him with a confused look. "How?"

"You have a family to return to, and a stallion to take good care of you."
She blushed as Henry felt a bit sad on what he just said.
He felt a bit envious, but he shook the thought.

It took them an hour of walking to reach the entrance of the ruins.

The Ancient Relic Castle, surrounded by trees, and standing on the center of the island.
Long ago, the invading unicorn ponies built this castle when they first arrived in Equestria.
It stood tall and strong from the attacks of the ruthless pegasi nation, who were winning the war against the earth ponies during those ancient times.
In those times, the unicorn aided the earth ponies, and soon the tables have turned.

Now, the ruins is now a home for bats and fireflies, and other small rodents and snakes and some other bugs.
The fireflies however provided them enough light to see everything.
They entered the ruins, and inside was a small pathway made by rocks and clay. Ember lets him notice the brownish red walls which has holes in them. She explained that the unicorns used their magic to walk on the entrance. Henry noticed, as he took a step, a block he stepped on moved downward for inches. Ember told him that those were triggers, to trigger the traps for invaders. She pointed at the holes on the wall and explained that sharp arrows would shoot out from them when intruders step on the trigger blocks on the ground.
Henry was impressed as he took a note about it. They then moved on, and at the end of the path was a spacious hall. A number of sun rays have managed to creep inside the ancient ruin.
Staircases, some broken, were on each corner of the ruins, leading to a second platform for ponies to walk on, supported by pillars, and on that second platform were other set of stairs leading to another platform above them, and so on.
Each platform had large cave-like holes on the walls, used to house the unicorn ponies.
On the opposite side of the entrance was an elevated floor, and on it stood two ancient-looking chairs, standing side-by-side. It was for the royal king and queen of the unicorns.

They slowly approached the royal seats. They stepped on the elevated floor, and as soon as Henry had all of his feet on the floor, something sparkled underneath the left chair that caught his attention. He walked pass Ember, who just wore a smile. With his magic, Henry lifted the object right in front of him for what it seemed like a...

"A goblet?"

He asked out loud as Ember walked beside him.
The old goblet was full of dark-green mold and dried mud, but it did gave them an idea of what would it truly look like.
A small part on the goblet was clear of any molds or mud. It was pure yellow gold, and it shined brightly when the sun's rays touches it.
Both were curious as Henry used his magic to remove the molds and mud, and afterwards, the goblet was looking new. He hovered the goblet vertically and started to slowly spin it horizontally for them to see the markings engraved on the item.
The markings looked like a story-comic strip with four horizontal panels.
The first panel shows a unicorn pony on the left part and an earth pony on the right part.
The second panel shows a unicorn and an earth pony on the left part and a griffin on the right.
The third panel shows the three on the left, looking ready for battle against a pegasus pony on the right.
The fourth panel shows a unicorn pony on the left, and a griffin on the right, handing a cup to the unicorn.

"So..." Ember slowly said, "...you understood what the drawings meant?"

Henry looked at her, who was looking confused. He simply smiled.

"Well," he started, "from the looks of it, the unicorn and earth ponies teamed up with the griffins to defeat the pegasus ponies."

That managed to satisfy the yellow earth pony's confusion. Henry then puts the goblet inside his sidebag.
They started walking to the second platform and looked at some of the caves.
Most of the caves were dark and moldy and dusty. Some had pieces of earth on the ground where grass started growing, and some had a number of pony bones.

Henry managed to write every detail he needed on his notebook as they looked around.

It took them almost two hours inside the ruins before they decided to leave the quiet place.
Upon leaving, they both saw a pale-red earth pony standing outside of the ruins. Ember quickly walked pass Henry and hugged the young stallion.

"How long have you been waiting?"

"I just arrive, 'onest."

They broke their hug as Henry reached them.

"So, Henry sir, how was the ruins?"

"Pretty ancient." he laughed.

And they soon walked back to Ember Town.
Henry stayed in the town for one more night in Ember's room, while Ember slept with her younger relatives in another room.
After breakfast, Henry went back to the city, accompanied by Ember and Flame. They rode a carriage to the city when they arrived in Little Filly Town. Their first stop was in Fillydelphia Radiant Hospital, where Ember's little brother was annoying a nurse in his room to call his sister. He settled down after they entered the room.
Ember quickly hugged her little brother, and Flame rubbed the little filly's head.
Unknown to them that Henry noted the scene down as well. The curious unicorn nurse pony was staring at him, who soon shook her head and left them.

Ember's little brother needed to stay in the hospital for a week and a few more days.
Henry however, needed to go back to PonyVille. After they exchanged goodbyes, he hugged the little filly and made him promise to get better and grow up into a strong and honest stallion. The little filly nodded happily.

"By the way..." Henry said as he turned to the couple.
He floated the golden goblet out of his sidebag and hovered it towards Ember.
"I hope this is payment enough for the tour?"

Ember hesitated, "B-but I thought my brother's hospitalization was the payment?"
The couples looked at each other confused, and then back at the alicorn.
"Was it?"

Henry shrugged, "No idea."

"What do you mean, 'no idea'?" Ember asked, a bit annoyed.
"Henry sir," Flame slowly said. "I believe you should keep that thing."
Henry raised his eyebrow in confusion. Flame simply nodded.
"You were the one who found it, so it belongs to you."

The goblet slowly hovered back to the deep-in-thought alicorn. Finally, he had an idea.
He turned to the little filly, who was lying down on the bed. He slowly puts the goblet beside him.

"Henry, seriously..." Ember said. "We don't need that thing."

"I want it!" her little brother cheered as he grabbed the goblet.

Ember simply sighed, defeated.
"Fine..."

Henry smiled.
"I need to get going now," he bowed at the couple, "thanks for your help."

Flame shook his head, "Please believe me when ah say this, Henry sir, but we should be the one thankin' ya."
Ember smiled, and nodded in agreement.

And after another exchange of goodbyes, Henry went out of the hospital, took a deep breath of the dusty air as he spread his wings, and as he expected, someone calls out his name from behind.
He turned to see the source of the feminine voice, only to be stunned by a sudden tight hug.

"Thank you," Ember slowly said, trying her very best to hold her tears.

Despite the large number of ponies in the area, he payed them no mind and returned the hug.
They broke the hug as Flame reached them. Henry and Flame then faced each other.
"Take good care of this young filly," Henry smiled, "and don't make her run on walls," he joked.
Ember looked angry for a while, then she smiled, "Take care as well."
"Visit us some time, ei?" Flame suggested, and Henry simply nodded.

And with that, he flew to the train station. He needed to head back home.
He has a book to write.