• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 413 Views, 20 Comments

Option 2 - James Fire



At long last, Mana Spark can beat Sombra, but at what cost?

  • ...
6
 20
 413

Awkward...

After returning them to their room, and hooking them up to whatever machines they should be connected to, I then help with a couple Healing sessions. After that is done, I feel ready to talk to Twilight.

Entering her room, I see her at the window, staring out. "What is that?" She gestures in the direction of the castle situated at the centre of the city.

"That, my dear Twilight, is my castle. The centre of government for a good portion of several galaxies in this universe. Traditionally, the head of the elected government lives there, treated as a guest by the ruling King. Technically, I am the ruling King, but I am torn between learning more about your world and taking up that mantle again."

She turns around to look at me, "So take up your mantle. It is your duty as their King."

Sighing, I try to explain as best I can. "Twilight, that is not the way it works around here. While I may be their King, there are many others that are just as qualified for the job. I could relinquish my claim to the throne for this life, and go off to do what I do. The kingdom would be fine without me."

"But the duty of royalty is to protect their subjects! Despite what hardships they may experience as a result."

"Twilight. That may be how it is in Equestria. But here, we are different. We have a long, cultured history. I am sorry to say that a good chunk of it was spent in warfare. Another significant chunk was spent under bad rulers, that cared little for their subjects." I then told her about Stalin, among others. "Not everything is happiness and rainbows."

Looking out the window, I am taken back, to when this planet was first colonized. "I wasn't even originally born on this world. Despite this infrastructure being centuries old, I am older. I founded this colony. It is nice to see something that I had hoped would happen come to fruition, even if it is centuries later. Such is the cost of immortality."

"Am... Am I immortal?"

"That depends on what you do in life. Based on your genetics alone, your lifespan has been greatly extended. But, I came here for a reason. I felt you should know what happened after I... killed you."

"That would be nice to know. I would love to hear how I didn't die in vain."

"Uh, well, yes. You did not die in vain. With the Blood Magic generated from you, I was able to close the portal. I then opened a portal using the Crystal Heart to my home dimension. Nearly limitless magical power can do just about anything. I still..." The realization hit me then, "I still have the Crystal Heart! I need to return it! I saw those storm clouds gathering above the Crystal Empire, and knew!" I run out of the room, and continue running for a few moments before remembering that I can teleport. I do so to the hallway right outside the room where the Heart is kept safe. The same forced teleportation spell is on there that is on my little base back in Equestria. Can't teleport in or out.

I unlock the door, and grab the Heart. Seal the door as I leave, heading for one of the portal rooms. As I arrive, Twilight pops into existence right next to me. She seems unsteady, getting used to standing again.

I, or course, object. "What are you doing? You need to rest. Healing takes a lot out of you, doubly so if accelerated by magic. Besides, you are not used to standing in this gravity. The gravity here is about twenty percent higher than your home planet."

Despite my misgivings, she stands anyway. "Alicorns are possessed of a nearly fantastical strength."

"You still need to rest!"

"I want to go home though! I need to see my family, let them know I am alright. And Celestia. Have you told them where I am?"

My silence on the matter indicates I have not.

"So, they don't know where I am? They must be so worried, and to think that you are also nowhere to be found... They might think you kidnapped me! And they are searching for you right now!" I tune out at that, deciding that a panicking horse is not something I need to deal with.

"I AM NOT A HORSE. I AM A PONY."

"Oops, I didn't mean to project that."

"We need to get back as soon as possible! We need to straighten this out! I don't want Celestia banishing you from Equestria!" A very long silence stretches after this announcement. During which a servant opens the door, presumably to clean the room, and to clean up excess magic energy. He promptly closes the door and decides to do the other rooms first.

Twilight blushes, or at least, I think she does. And then weakly adds, "Uh... Because I don't want your research impeded?"

"I... I could tell, somewhat, that you were starting to feel that way about me." Her ears and expressions perks up. "But I am sorry to say that I don't." She becomes downcast again. "At least, not yet. I would like to get to know you better, before I decide." She partially perks up, and looks hopeful.

"Shouldn't we take that back?" Pointing at the Heart, I come back to reality.

Author's Note:

And we are back!