• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 2,391 Views, 329 Comments

Equestria Rangers - Shadowmane PX-41



Following a meteor shower in the city of Canterlot, Sunset Shimmer and her friends are about to transform into a new generation of heroes...

  • ...
9
 329
 2,391

The Hunt Begins

The Wolfpack fleet sat quietly above the Earth, staring down at the world beneath them. The army of ravenous lupine brutes snarled, working hard to evaluate the salvage they stole from the other ships, as well as make any maintenance to their ships.

Captain Mar'zek, the leader of the pack, sat idly on his chair, drumming his claws on the sides. As a wolf—and a barbaric one at that, he did not like to loaf around, but he knew the vast size of the planet, and that a simple search for the crystals they lost would not be an easy task. But he knew that he had to set a good example for his kind.

"If I know my prey like I think I know my prey, and I'm pretty sure that I do, they will have made the Perfect Ones by now," he said. "The defenders supposed to challenge us and bring order to the universe. Ha! Pathetic."

"Then what are we supposed to do about it, captain?" Siel'Viz approached him from the side, sliding her claws against her purple breastplate. "If we just let these heroes train and gain power, then retrieving the crystals might seem impossible."

"That's exactly why we can't let them train, or have a single moment to rest." Mar'zek turned to his female vice-captain. "We must start ravaging the planet as quickly as possible. But exactly how quick do the people of this forsaken ball of water and dirt learn?"

"That is the question, is it not?"

From the shadows, a much elderly wolf stepped forward, with fur as white and pale as the snow itself. He was less armoured than the rest of the pack, and wore a tattered and torn lab coat in place. With a cane in one claw and a small dagger around his belt, he stared up at his captain.

"This is a very special planet, my lord." He bowed before Mar'zek. "The species here, these humans are quite unique. While most of the races we conquered and pillaged have a set series of traditions and rituals, the ones here have different ones depending on what corner of the world they live on." It raised the cane and tapped it on the ground. "I'd very much like to take some of these humans for myself and dissect them a little, just to see how they tick."

"Vi'al. A pleasure." Mar'zek nodded before the scientist. "It's not very often you come out of your little laboratory, isn't it?"

"For a chance to see the Perfect Ones snuffed out, I wouldn't miss it for the galaxy." Vi'al chuckled to himself in a raspy voice. "And besides, science takes time. Experiments can be re-worked, amended, and change ever so much. Plus, it would be good to stretch some of these old bones against these 'heroes' you're talking about."

"Please, my old friend. This is not something that should concern you, given how aged you are." Mar'zek stood up and petted Vi'al, only for his paw to be swatted away by the old wolf.

"Nonsense! Even the oldies need some exercise now and again." Vi'al scoffed and looked down to the ground. "Besides, I've longed to taste fresh air after all that time revising my hypotheses. Just a quick hunt would do me wonders."

"Then at the very least, take some hounds with you." Siel'Viz lifted a claw. "If those Perfect Ones really are what the legend says, then they will be able to kill you."

"Again, you are mistaken." Vi'Al shook his head. "In fact, I believe that, once we meet these heroes, they'll be in for a little surprise..."


At Canterlot High School, the Rainbooms were all gathered together, chatting to each other about the usual subjects. Fashion, video games, Pinkie's odd ramblings of food portmanteaus, and the odd little argument between Rainbow Dash and Applejack over who was better at hard work. But to them, they knew that their normal lives—if you could call them that—were about to change.

Ever since they had met Elaris and retrieved the crystals capable of transforming them into the Power Rangers, they had been thinking long and hard about the battle ahead; their duel with the Wolfpack. They could already envision how the fights would play out, but were never able to see the ends of those battles. Whether they would win or lose remained a mystery with how much they had to take into consideration.

"Hey, girls? What if we don't even need to fight?" Sunset Shimmer eventually lifted a finger. "I mean, these new suits are cool and all, but we've already got the Magic of Friendship on our side. We can just rainbow-laser those creeps back to whatever corner of the universe they crawled out of, right?"

"Well, yeah, but this way is much more fun!" Pinkie Pie jumped onto Sunset's back and nearly threw her onto her chest. "Plus, we never really get thank yous and prizes for being superheroes these days with just magic. I mean, we did a lot, but all we really got out of it were friends and memories."

"I gotta agree with Pinkie here." Rainbow patted Pinkie on the back. "We've been through an awful lot, but now the game's changed and the ante's been upped. We're not just a crisis-team for magic-powered teenagers anymore. We're, like, total superheroes now!"

"Yes. And I wouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves a lot busier right now." Rarity was busy weaving some fabric together. "We'll just have to work double duty. Both for stopping magical threats to Equestria, and for this Wolfpack that's coming here."

"Still, it's gonna be AWESOME!" Pinkie bounced gleefully up and down. "I can't wait to get into battle, to get our own little Zords, and to stop the Wolfpack like true rangers!"

"But like I said, maybe we might not need to fight." Sunset shrugged. "I mean, who knows how long it'll take for the Wolfpack to even get here?"

As if fate had answered her question for her, all of the girls' phones began to ring. A hexagon with seven pieces appeared on their screens as they took them out, with what looked like the sigils of all of the Rainbooms on each circular piece.

"Ooh! We're being called to battle!" Rainbow ran on the spot giddily, nearly dropping the phone as she answered it. "What's up, Elaris?"

"Girls. I hope you're ready for this." Elaris's face materialized on the screen, with the ship's bridge right behind her. "The Wolfpack have landed on Earth, right at local Canterlot Mall. And they're causing chaos..."

The phone screen changed to show a new image. Though it was very fuzzy, it showed the mall under siege by the Wolfpack, with Vi'Al and another wolf leading the charge. Small fires littered the ground, and the screams of people could be faintly heard as blaster fire rang out across the complex. Before they could get a clearer image, the screen went back to Elaris.

"I'm sorry that I could not show you a more precise location. My ship took a fair amount of damage when I ran from the wolves." Elaris sighed. "Maybe once they are driven back, we can try and fix it."

"Sure thing, Elaris. C'mon, girls. Let's move!" Rainbow nodded and put the phone away. "Y'know, I kinda think it's unfair that we don't all get to transform together, but these wolves look REALLY dangerous. Hope you girls don't mind I get a headstart."

"No, no. It's fine, Rainbow." Sunset patted Rainbow on the shoulder and saw her clutch the geode around her neck. "You get there first and try to hold them off. We'll be there as fast as we can."

"Got it." Rainbow nodded and bolted off out of the school and down the road as fast as she could, the magic of her pendant aiding her as she left nothing more than a rainbow contrail behind her.

"Twilight. You'd better get to Elaris's ship. She could use some repairs right about now." Sunset turned to face Twilight.

"You sure that you can handle this without me?" Twilight asked, lifting a brow. "I mean, I still have my geode. I can levitate those wolves and keep them pinned down for you." She held it up.

"The faster that we can get Elaris's ship back together, the better chance we have of beating these wolves." Sunset held Twilight's hand and looked her in the eyes. "Don't worry. We'd never leave you out of the battle, Twilight. We've just gotta prioritize for now. Plus, you've got all the smarts to fix the ship up."

"Okay." Twilight nodded. "You girls get to the mall and stop the Wolfpack. I'll try and keep you up to date with Elaris."

"Thanks, Twilight. You're the best." Sunset nodded and smiled as she ran with Twilight and the others out of the school and into the sunny day outside.

Rainbow Dash came closer to the mall when she pushed the button in the middle of her belt buckle. It began to radiate a brilliant light which quickly enveloped her skin.

"Time to power up! This is gonna be so awesome..." Rainbow put her hands to her cheeks as she prepared for her transformation. "Now all I need is a witty one-liner to make it extra-cool. Hmm..." After a few moments of thinking, the perfect call-out came to mind. "Got it! Equestrian Stars! Shine Bright and Let's Fight!"

Blasting forward, Rainbow became completely engulfed in the bright light. And when she leapt forward and somersaulted into the air and landed on her knees, she had transformed back into her Power Ranger outfit. With blue running from head to toe, silver streaks running down her chest, a small blue neckpiece, and a cloud spitting out a lightning bolt for a visor, she was ready for battle. Reaching to her hips, she pulled out her two blasters, with a black finish, wings stretching out of the sides of the barrel, and all seven of the lights of the rainbow running over the top.

"Faster than ever, the Blue Ranger!" Rainbow posed with her guns, pointing them straight out in front of her. Dashing ahead, she ran into the mall and watched the Wolfpack shooting at the last fleeing humans.

"Listen to their screams! I love it!" Vi'Al chuckled to himself as he put his claw around the side of another wolf, unlike the grunts leading the attack. "This is what I live for, my friend. Chaos. Destruction. Misery!"

"Yes, Vi'Al." The other wolf nodded. "The faster we tear this planet up, the faster we'll retrieve those crystals, and the sooner this universe will bow before us!"

"Hey, wolves!" Rainbow Dash called from the other corridor, firing her blasters at the invaders. "Didn't you get the memo? The mall's closed!"

"What?!" Vi'Al turned to see Rainbow, pointing her guns at him and his troops. "Looks like we've got some resistance. Just another reason why me and my compatriots love to conquer..."

"But you are sadly outmatched, little one," said the wolf beside Vi'Al as it clicked its' claws. "Hounds! Turn your attention to this new face, and let her know we wolves mean BUSINESS!"

The hounds turned to face Rainbow, then charged towards her bearing their fangs and claws.

"You want some of this?" Rainbow grinned, then flipped backwards. "Twin Rainbow Blasters! Open fire!" Pointing both of them at the wolves, she fired a quick flurry of blasts at the wolves, hitting them in the chests and making them stumble backwards. But that didn't stop them from moving in on her.

Rainbow kept on firing, but soon enough, the wolves were upon her. Tapping the bolt of lightning on her neckpiece, she barreled through the hounds, knocking them over. Stopping once she was on the other side of the horde, she let loose another hail of blaster fire again, aiming for their heads this time.

Some of the wolves struck by the blasters fell onto their backs, detonating as their heads hit the floor. The ones still alive burst through the flames and leapt towards Rainbow. They took more of the shots, but it wasn't enough to faze them as they came crashing down on top of her.

"Uh-oh!" Rainbow, not wanting to be a pancake, ran backwards from the leaping wolves, only to be subjected to Vi'Al and his partner's claws, which both grazed into her back in an 'X' formation. "Gah!" Rainbow groaned as she tumbled forward, feeling the sting even after the attack had landed.

"Rule #1 of combat, little one. Always keep your eye on your enemies." The partner snarled, putting his foot atop Rainbow's scratched back. "And now, you'll suffer for it." He leaned down and whispered in her ears. "I think I'll take your ear first. I always like it when others hear what I have to say."

Rainbow tried to throw the wolf off of her back, but his force, added with the pain on her back, made it hard for her to show any sign of resistance. Even as she squirmed, she felt the scratch marks feel more and more painful. She tried her blasters, but her arms were swiftly pinned down by the wolf, who hunched his body over her head and leaned forward to add more pressure to the wound.

"Even if you could fight back, the hounds are already here." Vi'Al watched the grunts arrive at the pinned down Rainbow, licking their lips as they stretched their claws out. "There is no escape for you."

"That's what you think!"

Everyone turned to see Sunset, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie standing tall at the doors of the mall, all ready for a fight; except for Fluttershy, who stood behind Applejack with her hands on her arms.

"Is this yours?" The wolf who stood on Rainbow grabbed her by the scuff and lifted her up. "Because if it is, then I'm afraid you're much too late to save her. I, Preda'Tor, have her right in my clutches. And once we Wolfpack wolves have our prey, we NEVER let them get away!"

"Then we'll just have to make you let her go." Sunset smirked, and pushed the button on her buckle, as did the other girls.

"Equestrian Stars! Shine Bright and Let's Fight!" The Rainbooms called out, as they too gained auras of light which enveloped and transformed them into their respective Power Ranger outfits.

"Hides away, but not today. Yellow Ranger..." Fluttershy litfted her flute ready for combat, though, she just slipped behind the others.

"As elegant as a gemstone and just as blinding, White Ranger!" Rarity twirled both of her swords and held them at her waist.

"Strong as the sturdiest of oaks, Orange Ranger!" Applejack brandished her hammer and clutched it with both hands.

"So bouncy, you can't catch me, Pink Ranger!" Pinkie still hopped on the spot even as she pulled out her weapons; the pair of mini airguns.

"Burning sword, hot enough to cleave through all evil, Red Ranger!" Sunset held her sword out and pointed it at the wolves, causing the blade to catch on fire.

"Glad you could get here, girls." Rainbow chuckled and turned back to Preda'Tor and Vi'Al. "Looks like I'm not as 'prey' as you guys thought."

"Power Rangers Equestrian Stars!" The girls all called out as Rainbow finally shot at Preda'Tor and Vi'Al's faces before running back to the others.

"And then there were six..." Vi'Al chuckled to himself and watched in awe as the Rangers walked up to him and his pack. "I'm half interested to see where this goes."

"It'll go one way, Vi'Al. With their heads on spits! Hounds! Charge!" Preda'Tor pounded his chest and thrust a claw forward, sending the marauding pack of hounds towards the Rainbooms, who all charged in to meet them.

Pinkie jumped in first, blasting at the Hounds with her air-guns. Confetti and streamers met the wolves and blew up into tiny sparkles around them, disorienting them as Rainbow followed it up with more shots from her blasters. In the chaos, the wolves blindly ran towards Rarity, who gracefully used her swords to slice precisely across their skin.

"Too hot to handle?" Sunset ran through the wolves and swung fast with her fire sword, both cutting through the wolves' bodies and igniting their fur. Then, leaping over the burning wolves, she sent one final slash at them, making them all explode and leave nothing but ash in their wake. "Maybe you should've dress more prepared for summer!"

Fluttershy watched a small batch of wolves advance on her from afar. Yelping, she started to play her flute, sending out a spectral bear to run them down. Still worried that they would strike her, she kept on playing, commanding the bear to claw and gash at them while they were on their backs.

"My turn!" Applejack came forward, lifted her hammer high, and smashed it into the ground. "Terra Hammer!" With one powerful strike, the earth between her horde of wolves cracked and splintered, before shards of rock burst up from the cracks and went straight through their bodies. "How'd ya like them apples?" She asked as the wolves fell flat onto their bellies.

"So, you think you've won because you can fight a few hounds?" Preda'Tor smirked as he watched the last of the hounds explode into pieces. "Pathetic! Now, you're gonna see how a REAL wolf fights!" He charged forward and widened his claws. Lunging towards Fluttershy, he performed a somersault with his nails to transform himself into a living sawblade.

"Fluttershy! Head's up!" Rainbow called, firing her next shots at Preda'Tor to try and knock him out of his attack. While the shots landed, they barely did a thing as he came close to scratching her up.

"Huh?" Looking up, she watched the new wolf coming towards her. Letting out a scream, she inadvertently twisted the neck of the flute to a new animal as she rolled and ran away, trying to relocate to a different part of the mall to keep playing her song, only for the wolf to chase after her.

"Now that's not fair, preying on our poor little friend like that." Rarity tapped the diamonds on her neckpiece and hurled diamond shields towards Fluttershy, which made Preda'Tor's attacks bounce straight off them. "I think you need to be taught some manners." She ran forward and slashed at the beast's next attacks, before pushing forward and causing him to lurch back. "Twin Diamond Swords! X Slash!" She swung her swords in the same pattern he had used to hit Rainbow in the back, hurling him into the wall behind her.

"Twin Rainbow Blasters! Double Barrel Mode!" Rainbow took one of her blasters and straightened the handle in line with the rest of the weapon before putting it on top of the second one. Combined, both of the laser guns fired together at Preda'Tor, with the blasts from both barrels being more thick and powerful than usual.

"Grr..." Preda snarled and drove his claws into the ground, sprinting ahead as a bull would if it saw red. Or in this case, the Red Ranger, Sunset Shimmer. "Enough of this!" He performed a claw uppercut, forcing Sunset to guard. This allowed his other claw to slash her from above, knocking her into the floor.

"Sunset!" The girls called as they watched Sunset duel with Preda, sword meeting with claws. Both sides were fast and strong, and neither one gave the other any opportunities to attack. Seeing no end to this, the other rangers rushed to Sunset's aide, only for Preda to whip out his own sword from the belt around him and swing it at them, sending a purple energy shockwave that knocked them backwards.

"Stay out of this, you curs!" He howled to the girls. "I prefer my fights one-on-one!" He was about to strike Sunset again, when he saw her channeling fire through the tip of her sword. "Huh?"

"Time to seal the deal." Sunset grinned as she pointed the sword at the ground beneath Preda'Tor's feet. "Fire Sword, Scorched Earth!" Drawing a circle around the feet of her opponent and slashing the sword straight up, Sunset consumed Preda'Tor in a thick pillar of flame, leaving no part of him untouched with her raging fires. Once she was content with how much she had cooked the killer wolf, she ran to the pillar and swung straight through it, causing a massive explosion to erupt with Preda'Tor at the center.

"You..." Preda'Tor spluttered as his whole body had been charred to pieces. "You... vermin!" He stood back up and let out a blood-curdling howl, as the moon suddenly appeared in the sky above. "Time to see how you deal with a REAL Wolfpack soldier!"

"Those Perfect Ones are strong on their own, yes." Vi'Al had been watching from the sidelines the entire time as a red, blood-like aura began to wrap itself around Preda'Tor. "But the Wolfpack never goes down without a fight. And now, it's time for them to witness first-hand our real power..."

"What's it doing?" Sunset asked as it watched the wolf take in more and more of the red magic.

"Ooh! I think I know what it's doing!" Pinkie lifted and wiggled her hand in the air. "It's gonna super-size itself, just like in the TV shows!"

"WHAT?!" The other Rainbooms jumped at that, and turned towards the maddened, torched, and scarred wolf.

"Yep. In every series of Power Rangers that I can count, the monsters always find a way to grow super-duper big and cause true mayhem!" Pinkie pointed towards the wolf. "Then, we all swoop in with our super-awesome Zords and combine them into a Megazord. Then, we whoop the hairy hide of this big, bad, wolf and blow him away instead!"

"Feral Fury!" Preda'Tor cried, throwing his arms out as he craned his head to the moon once more.

The blood inside the wolf began to bubble and churn, as red and black lightning bolts ran through it. His heart began to beat faster and faster as it pumped the blood throughout his system. His muscles began to grow exponentially in size and his claws for all four of his paws curled up tight. Slamming the sharp nails of his claws down onto the ground and causing holes, Preda'Tor grew to the size of a mountain, with the Rainbooms so tiny that he could crush them underneath his foot.

"Now, Perfect Ones!" He stared down at the girls. "Let's see how you fare against THIS!"