• Published 27th Mar 2017
  • 274 Views, 18 Comments

Of Bats and Sparrows - Silver Inkwell



Follow along with two stories, one in the past as a guard struggles to be accepted into society, and in the present where a mare still struggles to do the same.

  • ...
 18
 274

Nine

1000 Years Ago,

Ash looked around him, everywhere that he went he saw ponies playing happily, but whenever they saw him they scrambled to get as far away as possible.

He sighed, couldn't they learn to just love his race already and not fear them?

He looked around, it was a very nice day out, but yet he still felt like something was missing in his life, ever since Celestia had spoken to him he had, and if he was going to tell the truth he sometimes felt it even before then, but now he knew it for cure. The only problem was that he didn't know what it was… yet…

He was here at the park hoping to find some answers, hoping that he could hear his heart, hoping that something would happen, anything at all.

He kept looking around, he really like this park, and maybe he would find some answers here, he hoped that he could, that he would. But nothing was too obvious or clear enough for him… yet… but maybe with time something would come up… eventually. He waited, and waited, time went on, he was starting to get bored, but then he finally did notice something. Two ponies were walking down the street, hoof in hoof, married by the look of it, and two little foals scrambled along after them, and they looked like they were very… well… happy.

His eyes lit up with inspiration, could this be it? Could this be what he wanted, love? He pondered this question, he always had thought of himself as the loner stallion, but if truth was to be told he did want love once, and he really did like other mares, but in his rush to train with the royal guard he had forgotten love.

Luckily enough he still had plenty of time left to find some love, hopefully.

He started to smile, yes, it was definitely love, he could feel it in his heart.

He knew that this was right, and now the only problem left would be finding love, if only he had a friend that also knew the exact dates of social situations just like parties and dances… oh wait, he already had one.

“Silver, I really need you for this, and I do mean right now.”

His brother kept looking at him with a very large smile on his face.

“Wow, I’m still just trying to understand this, my brother, the stallion who swore to be single forever, asking me for advice about love, and I expected to be the last pony in Equestria that he would ask help from,” Silver said.

“In this case I would rather take experience and knowledge with somepony that I can trust rather than another pony telling me something that I already know.”

“Brother, love is all about that, it’s reminding us about what’s still good in us that’s left,” Silver said putting a hoof on his brother’s shoulder.

“Wow, I already can tell that you’re so much smarter and better at this than I could ever possibly be,” Ash said. Silver raised an eyebrow at this comment.

“Are you being sarcastic with me my brother? Because you know how I react with sarcasm, I just can't tell if someone is trying to do it with me.”

“You’ll just have to guess first,” Ash said now smiling at him.

“Fine then, leave it a mystery then, what do I care, anyhow I do believe that there is a Fall Festival that’s coming up very soon, something that would especially be perfect for us you know,” Silver said.

“Oh yes, more night time, yeah, I suppose that would be a bonus, but do you really expect me to meet anypony else there at all?”

Silver scratched his chin in very deep thought, “Maybe, but I really honestly don't know, maybe you might get lucky, but if you don't get in a relationship, well try to have-.”

“No, I’m not going to do that my brother.”

“Wait, what? I was just going to say have some fun there, that’s all, I swear it.”

“Yeah, fun, sure thing, right,” Ash said very slowly raising an eyebrow at his brother.

“Anyhow good luck brother, I'll see you then, I hope you find what you want.”

“Me too.”