• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 3,421 Views, 116 Comments

Zombies to Ponies in Ten Seconds Flat - 8r0ny



The Zombie apocalypse, it sucks. A group of survivors made a portal to a new world, sending me and a few friends I was surviving with to the other side. What happenes next? Well thats just a few clicks away.

  • ...
12
 116
 3,421

33. Volcanis

“How long were you listening?” I said, ignoring her obvious quip. “It’s impolite to eavesdrop you know.”

“You’re no fun.” She said with a pout. “Can’t I tease you and at least get a little reaction?”

“You did get a reaction.” I replied. “An equal and opposite reaction of you knocking me over into this bush.”

“You know what I mean.” She said climbing off of me. “Most ponies would at least have the decency to blush.”

“Maybe my blood rushed elsewhere.” I countered. “I only have so much you know.”

“What- that's…” She sputtered, backing away. “You’re a lewd one.”

“Look who's talking.” I laughed, standing up and walking back to the path. “What do you expect when you rub your parts on my parts.”

“I didn’t! I was... you were…” She sighed. “Ugh, I can’t deal with you.”

“Well, on another note.” I said walking the path with her. “How’s everything going with the houses and stuff?”

“We’ve completed the externals like you asked.” She said, regaining her composure. “And we are assisting the people you sent to work inside.”

“I sent people?” I said pausing. “I don’t remember sending ponies.”

“Well carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and such arrived a few weeks ago.” She said. “I was told it was under your orders.”

“Hmm, I’ll have to look into that.” I said. “It worked out but I don't like the idea that someone used my name to do things. Who’s to say that any person can’t do something and get away with it by saying it was on my orders?”

“That does seem like a problem.” Chloris said. “Not something you have to deal with when you have a hive mind.”

“We can’t all be as great as you.” I quipped. “Any-who, with the addition of these people, what do you think our estimated time of completion is?”

“Should be a few weeks.” She said. “This wiring and plumbing you’re doing takes much longer than I thought it would. Is it really worth it?”

“One-thousand percent yes it's worth it.” I replied without missing a beat. “It does take a bit of time. But for us humans, it’s a necessity. We’ve all experienced life without warm showers and lights on demand both back in our old world and a short time here as well. While some are satisfied with survival, humans don’t stop till we are thriving.”

“Such fascinating creatures you are.” Chloris said. “I look forward to watching your country take shape. And, Celestia willing, I hope to grow beside you.”

“Well, I’m not sure about that second part.” I said. “Because there is no you and me, but us. You are deeply a part of my country, even more so the humans here, baring my friends obviously. I won’t simply let you watch from the sidelines, we are going to grow together.”

“This is exactly why I made you our King.” She said bowing low. “You have full control over this hive, I am but a humble caretaker, overseeing the Changelings, and directing them at your will.”

“And while you made me King, I will not take away your leadership.” I replied smiling. “But I will rely on you to not only direct your people, but advise me as well. You’re every bit as much of a power here as any one of my friends. Keep that in mind.”

“I will.” She said. “Maybe I can use it for-”

“For what?” I asked, noticing her face of concentration. “Whats up?”

“Facade just informed me Camden wants to see you immediately.” She replied. “He won’t give any other information. Just that it’s urgent.”

“Facade?” I said. “Never mind, Changeling names are weird. I’m gonna head out.”

“Facade is a fine name.” She defended. “And I think it’s best you get there soon, he says Camden looks nervous.”

“That doesn’t happen often.” I said turning and taking flight. “Take care Chloris.”

I made my way back to the smaller of our two islands. What in the world could have Camden nervous? Must be something science related. Maybe we can’t stay here because dimensional displacement will rip us back to Earth or something. What a scary thought.

“No use thinking of all the stuff that could be going wrong.” I said to myself. “Just gotta get to him and figure out what’s goin on.”

I got to the science tent and went inside, my whole team was there, as well as Twilight and Luna.

“Whats up guys.” I said hiding my nervousness. “This an intervention or something? Cuz you know I’m not gonna quit.”

“Quit what?” Twilight asked, completely taking the bait.

“Well it seems I’m addicted.” I said shaking my head sadly. “Addicted to being...totally fucking awesome!”

A round of sighs, music to my ears.

“Well to get to the point.” Camden cut in. “A dragon is approaching Terra.”

A silence followed.

“That is indeed to the point.” I said. “Do we have any other info, can you expand on it?”

“The dragon seems to be a deep crimson, to the point that it’s almost black. About two-hundred feet long from nose to tail. The wingspan is-” Camden rambled on.

“Ok, ok.” I said stopping him. “Big dragon inbound. Any information on intent or if it’s even coming here at all and not just passing over?”

“I can help with that.” Luna chimed in. “These islands are out of the way for any normal flight path, leading me to believe he means to land here. This dragon’s name is Volcanis...he doesn't have a good record I’m sorry to say.”

“Well, how long till he gets here?” I asked, starting an evacuation plan.

“If he keeps his current speed…” Cody added in. “I’d say forty five minutes.”

“Well shit.” I deadpanned. “Ok, well I say get everyone to the other island and shove as many into Chloris hive as we can. It’s the safest place.”

“We figured as much.” Luna said. “And you will stay here and talk with him?”

“Am I that predictable?” I said. “Yah. I figured I’d try talking with him. It would be cool to have a dragon on our side.”

“Are you crazy?” Twilight said. “There’s a infamous dragon coming and you’re thinking of making friends?”

“You’re the Princess of bloody Friendship!” Nyjill said, face palming. “What kind of backwards ass world is this? The Princess of Friendship is telling a human that making friends is crazy. And of all humans Shawn.”

“Wait what?” I said taken by surprise. “Why of all people me. Why am I an outlier.”

“Shouldn't we be evacuating people right now?” Cody added in. “We are on a time crunch.”

“Yes, evac the civs.” I said brushing him off. “I know I’m not the most social of people but come on.”

“Well that’s exactly it.” Nyjill said. “You’re not really known for making friends. You’re just you and people follow.”

“That's...totally true.” I relented. “Alright, I’ll give you that one. Back to this Volcanis guy, fill me in on him.”

“Like I said before his track record isn’t a good one.” Luna continued. “Out of the twenty-seven populated areas he’s visited, three survived.”

“Gotta say, I’m not liking those odds.” Cody said. “Sure we have Shawn but...dang.”

“Stop stroking my ego.” I said shaking my head. “And go evacuate the civilians already. Twi, go with him and help.”

Chloris, I’m sending...well the whole populous to your hive.” I said over our link. “Keep them safe while I fend off a dragon. That's an order as King, protect them.

What!?” She replied. “Please, reconsider and let me be by your side!

No.” I said simply. “You will serve me best keeping everyone safe. Knowing you’re safe will help as well.

As you wish.” She said reluctantly. “I will protect your people with my life.

“Chloris is ready for everyone.” I informed Cody and Twilight. “There are some boats that I had made for when people wanted to move over, use those to transport anyone that can't fly.”

“Got it.” Cody and Twilight replied.

“Luna, continue on with this, admitably, depressing debrief.” I said.

“Of the three civilizations that survived, one had another dragon that he respected protecting it, one gave him righes for his hoard, and one just got lucky.” She continued. “He is well known for burning everything to such an extent that it takes years for anything to start growing again.”

“No pressure huh.” I said totally not cold sweating. “No chance he has respect for Equestrian royalty is there?”

“I dated him a couple thousand years ago but we didn’t really click.” Luna said offhandedly. “So not really.”

“O good.” I said throwing my hands up. “Luna’s ex is coming to burn my fucking nation to the ground. Sorry, nerves got the best of me for a moment there.”

“Understandable.” Luna said smiling gently.

“Twenty-five minutes” Camden said nonchalant. “Over half the citizens have been evacuated so far.”

“Has it really been that long?” I asked skeptically. “It was forty-five like 5 minutes ago.”

“Time flies when you’re shitting yourself.” Nyjill said. “Speaking from personal experience that is.”

“Mmm, gross.” I said eyeing him a bit. “Regardless, I’m gonna go stand on the beach heroically until this guy arrives.”

“Would you like company?” Luna asked.

“Yes, but no.” I said pausing. “Stay close by but hidden. I’ll use you as a trump card.”

“Can’t say I like that, but I understand.” Luna replied.

“Just a dude, just a dragon, just a dude, just a dragon…” I chanted to myself, calming my nerves as I walked out the door and towards the beach.

“He’s going the wrong way isn’t he.” Camden asked not looking up from the screen in front of him.

“Dead opposite.” Nyjill replied.

“I’ll get him.” Luna said smiling a bit. “Just a little nervous.”

“I don’t blame him.” Nyjill said. “Better him than me. I’ll go help with evac. Camden you coming?”

“No, I’m going to stay here.” He said simply.

“Are you crazy? If they fail to talk it out with the dragon you’ll be burned to a crisp!” Nyjill said exasperated.

“I have faith in Shawn.” Camden said taking away at his keyboard. “He has a way with words. Just look at how he talked Celestia down when we first arrived.”

“What an awful example to bring up.” Nyjill said laughing. “I’m still surprised she didn't burn us to a crisp after that greeting.”

“Just goes to show that if you were the one talking I would leave.” Camden said. “He had it all under control. Humor is a great way to earn trust and show character.”

“Well yah.” Nyjill paused. “But you’re talking like he did it all on purpose. It was Celestia that was the good sport.”

“That's where you are wrong.” Camden said. “Shawn knew exactly when Celestia was behind him. But he decided to use humor to defuse the situation. He even had us playing into it before I realized it.”

“I don’t believe it.” Nyjill said simply. “We’ll see how this goes. If you’re still here after this meeting maybe I’ll believe you. But until then Shawn is just lucky and straight forward.”

“Suit yourself.” Camden said. “Might want to get going soon, we can almost see the dragon off the coast. And if we can see him, he can probably see us.”

“K bye.” Nyjill said darting out of the tent.

“I swear, people act like he has no clue what he’s doing.” Camden ranted to himself. “But there’s a lot more to him than you see on the surface. Why else would all the royalty be so friendly with him.”

“Achoo!” I sneezed, breaking me out of my chanting trance. “Someone is talking about me. Or maybe it's the dragon thinking about me.”

“What?” Luna said from her hiding spot in the bushes. “What does sneezing and someone thinking about you have to do with anything?”

“Humans have this weird superstition that when you sneeze randomly it means that someone is talking about you.” I explained. “And then I evolved it one step further because magic, that maybe it was Draco over here thinking about me.”

“Volcanis.” Luna corrected. “And that's a silly superstition.”

“They’re all silly.” I said. “That's like there thing. They don’t make sense but everyone either believes them or at least knows them.”

“Let's continue this conversation another time.” Luna said in a more hushed voice. “We’re just about in his hearing range.”

“Sounds good.” I whispered back. “I’ll just sit quietly and try not to do anything that gets us all killed.”

And I did just that. I stood there, trying to keep a posture of unafraid but welcoming. My face was neutral despite how my mind was racing and my hands and shoulders relaxed. My butthole on the other hand was quite tense.

The dragon closed in, slowly taking up the horizon as he approached. He was flying low, looking strait at me. He wasn’t going fast, but he didn’t seem to be slowing down. I was sure he saw me, but I couldn't be sure he wasn’t going to pass right over me. So I did what anyone trying to get someone's attention would do…

I waved.

Author's Note:

Shawn gets some love (no homo) and a new challenger approaches!