• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 3,410 Views, 116 Comments

Zombies to Ponies in Ten Seconds Flat - 8r0ny



The Zombie apocalypse, it sucks. A group of survivors made a portal to a new world, sending me and a few friends I was surviving with to the other side. What happenes next? Well thats just a few clicks away.

  • ...
12
 116
 3,410

14. Welcome to Ponyville! (Part One)

“Hey Twilight. Hey...Shawn?” AJ greeted as we approached the others. “You look good.”

“So I’ve been told.” I said cockily. “Am I really that good looking or are you guys just bad with words.”

“I meant you look very pony-like.” She corrected herself. “Not like a changeling anymore.”

“Ahh, that's what Twilight said.” I said slightly disappointed.

“I mean don’t get me wrong, you look good. Just not my type.” She said smiling.

“You do look rather dashing darling.” Rarity added. “I’ve never seen that color combination before. They complement each other very well.”

“It’s popular back on earth.” I replied. “Only more popular combo would probably be black and red.”

“Red would have looked better.” RD critiqued.

“Want me to change it?” I teased. “I can become the stallion of your dreams if you want.”

“No! That's not what I meant!” She said flustered. It sure is easy to get a rouse out of these ponies.

“You look just like your OC!” Pinkie said excitedly.

“Yes...that was the plan.” I said skeptically. How she knows what an OC is I have no idea. Even more impressive she knew what mine looked like...anywho.

“Have you thought of a new name?” Pinkie questioned. “Shawn isn’t very pony-like.”

“I asked Twilight about that but she said if I stuck with I’m not from Equestria it shouldn't matter. But if I want to change my name I need to now. Can’t introduce myself as Shawn and come back later calling myself something else.” I replied.

“Cody said he wants to be called Blue.” Twilight said. “And Matthew wanted to be called, strangely enough, Griffin. And I think Camden said something like Atom Split but that's a weird name.”

“Cody’s name doesn't surprise me, but Griffin the griffin.” I said reminiscing. “I read a story by that name. It was good. And Camden’s name makes sense...you guys just arent at that tech level yet.”

“Griffin and Atom may get some weird looks but I think it will work in the end.” Twilight added.

“Well my occupation before the zombie outbreak was a lighting designer in the music and theatre industry.” I said trying to generate ideas. “That's what I based my cutie mark off of. It’s a source-4, a type of electric light used mostly in traditional theatre. That's what I used in college and what started my obsession with lighting.”

“I’m very interested in this topic.” Twilight said sheepishly. “But can we talk about it once we get food? I’m starving.”

“Sure thing.” I replied. “If no one has any ideas about a name change, I’ll just stick with Shawn.”

“How about Dark Light?” Pinkie suggested.

“That’s...not bad but it sounds weird to me.” I said unsure. “Does it sound like a name you would hear normally?”

“No, but I’ve never heard of anyone else named Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight surmised. “Yet here I am.”

“Good point. Ok, I’ll continue to brainstorm and if I think of anything I’ll let you know.” I said. “And if anyone asks I’ll just stick to Dark Light.”

“Good plan, let’s go.” Twilight said impatiently. Her horn lit up as she charged a teleportation spell.

“What about the-” AJ started but was cut off by the group of us teleporting to the outskirts of town. “Rest of his group…” She finished lamely.

“Opps…”Twilight said dropping her ears. “They didn’t want to come?”

“Camden...sorry, Atom and Blue wouldn’t want to.” I said trying to cheer Twilight up. “Matthew...sorry again, Griffin is still learning to fly and Nyjill is asleep being basically nocturnal now.”

“We’re already here, might as well go and get something to eat.” Rainbowdash said as she started to fly towards town.

“I’m down.” I said following after her. “The rest of them can live off of MRE’s for one more day.”

Twilight lamented and followed after us cuing the rest of the group to move. We walked towards town and my anxiety increased with each step. On one hand I was very excited to be here, but on the other...I was a alien, in a changeling's body, disguised as a unicorn. It was stressful! Sensing my unease Fluttershy of all ponies comforted me.

“Ponyville is a very accepting town.” She said hardly loud enough for me to hear her. “If you lost your disguise, at first they may reject you...but with our word and some time, they would come to accept you.”

“Thanks Fluttershy.” I said smiling at her. “I needed that.”

She just nodded and we continued walking to wherever we were going to eat. We were in town now and ponies waved at us. I waved back with the others and no one questioned me or gave me hostile looks. So my disguise was working I guess. I was still brainstorming for name ideas, but nothing really came to mind.

“Here we are!” Pinkie exclaimed pulling me from thought. Sugar Cube Corner...should have guessed. “Come on in and get some food!”

We entered the eatery and I was surprised to find it empty.

“Pinkie, where are all your customers?” I asked looking around the main room.

“I had the store reserved for a special Princess Twilight luncheon.” She replied easily.

“How?” I asked. “We didn't even leave the camp but 10 minutes ago and you were with us the whole time. How did you…” I paused and took a breath. “Pinkie logic.”

“Yuperony!” She replied hopping to the counter and back picking up menus for us. “Sit wherever you want and order some food!”

“I’d love to.” Twilight said sitting down at a large table. It could fit all of us so we all decided to sit at it together.

I looked at the menu expecting nothing but sweets and pastries but to my surprise I found sandwiches, salads, hay-based burgers and fries...ew, but still interesting. I’d only looked over half of it when pinkie asked if we were ready.

“I'll have a daisy sandwich and a hay smoothy please.” Twilight said ordering first. I was next but I said to skip me till the end.

“Can ah have the-” AJ began but was cut off when Applebloom came running through the door.

“AJ, Big Mac needs help on tha farm!” She said and then ran back out the door.

“Dag-nabbit.” AJ exclaimed getting out of her chair. “I’ll see y’all later.”

“Bye.” We all chorused together.

“Well, I guess I’ll have-” RD started before she too was cut off. This time by the rumble of thunder. “What? Come on Cloud Kicker, I said no rain today! I have to go fix this.”

“Good luck” Pinkie said as she flew out the door. “Who’s next?”

“O my.” Fluttershy said gaining our attention. This caused her to cower a bit as she looked to the floor. “Umm, I’m sorry but, Angel Bunny just told me Berry the Bear is sick. I need to go check on him. I’m sorry I have to go.”

“It’s fine Fluttershy, we understand.” Twilight said smiling at her friend.

“Ok, if you’re sure.” She said as she backed towards the door. She was almost out when a white blur bumped into her as it rushed through the door.

“Ooph, sorry Fluttershy!” Sweetiebelle said hurriedly as she got up and ran to Rarity. “Rarity I need your help! The sewing machine is smoking again.”

“I told you not to use it when I’m not around!” Rarity berated her little sister. “I’m sorry everyone, I need to go fix this before it catches fire or something.”

“O yah!” Sweetiebelle piped up. “It did that a little too.”

“What?!” Rarity yelled before teleporting herself and her sister away.

“Well…” I said awkwardly. “I guess I’ll have a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup and a cherry drink.”

“Coming right up!” Pinkie said undeterred by all the random happenstances that claimed most of her friends.

“So...about what you did before the apocalypse.” Twilight said a little distracted by everyone's sudden departure.

“Umm, ok.” I started. “In college I was in the theater department, focusing in lighting design. Once I got out I worked mostly for theaters acting as Master Electrician, meaning I worked under the lighting designer. I, along with a small crew under me, would make the designers idea a reality. Anyhow, I did that for a year or so when I finally got a chance to do what I was really after, Event Lighting. I had gone to so many concerts, and raves, and music festivals, handing out my business cards and it finally payed off. I was called by an up and coming artist that had seen my name in the pamphlet of a play he saw. I had an interview with him at a Denny’s, that's an all day breakfast restaurant, and he hired me to go on tour with him. I started out at the bottom, just another person to carry the equipment and set it up but I went above and beyond wherever I could. I made my way through the ranks and eventually became the head of the crew, directly under the designer, just like I was in the theater.”

“Food!” Pinkie exclaimed as she came into the room with a tray on her back. Twilight used her magic to get her and my food and set it in front of us.

“Enjoy!” Pinkie said as she went back into the kitchen.

“Anywho, to sum it up.” I continued. “The lighting designer and the artist had a falling out and the designer left. So the artist came to me and asked if I would design. I accepted and we went from there. He was performing all over the world until the zombie outbreak began.”

“We may need to get you and Vinyl Scratch together. She makes dance music!” Pinkie said bring her own food out of the kitchen along with our drinks. “If you two worked together you could be like super famous! But you'll need a cool stage name too...like Flash Beats.”

“Nice!” I exclaimed excitedly. “I like that one. Sold, to the black and green pony.”

“Just like that?” Twilight said skeptically.

“Yah, I like it.” I replied smiling.

“Vinyl Scratch and Flash Beats.” Pinkie said to herself. “That sounds so cool, you have to meet her now!”

“Ahh yes, DJ Pon-3.” I said reminiscing. “On earth she was theorised to make what we called dubstep along with trance and house music. All electronic but vastly different.”

“Well you theorized correctly.” Twilight said uncomfortably. I think the whole ‘her life being a tv show in a different reality’ thing was still weirding her out. “It’s what she produces here too.”

“Does she really have red eyes?” I asked a little excited. “Everyone used to always argue about that.”

“No idea.” Pinkie said with a mouthful of...an egg muffin? “She never takes off her shades.”

“She so did at least twice.” I argued. “And you were there both times pinkie.”

“Is this how others feel when I know everything about them.” Pinkie said worriedly. “Because it isn't a nice feeling.”

“No, of course not Pinkie.” Twilight comforted her friend. “Flash.. is just kind of creepy.”

“Hey, I’m right here you know.” I chimed in. “I have feelings too.”

“Yah, but when Pinkie knows something it's just her being Pinkie.” Twilight explained. “And when you know something it’s because you’re an alien come to Equis that watched a show that followed mine and my friends lives.”

“Touche.” I said simply. “Also, this food is great Pinkie. Never thought a bakery, sweets shop would have actual food.”

“Well of course we have food silly.” Pinkie replied. “You think I just lived off sugar?”

“Well, actually yes.” I said honestly.

“Well that's illogical.” Twilight added in. “Nothing can survive off just sugar.”

“Well to be fair, as far as we knew you were completely fictional.” I said defensively. “As far as we saw, Pinkie ate sweets and stuff like ninety percent of the time.”

“I do add sugar to the tomato soup to make it taste better.” Pinkie blurted out.

“Ok?” I said skeptically. “Good for you I guess. I mean it was good so whatever.”

“We should head back to camp.” Twilight said looking at the clock on the wall. “The others might be wondering where you are.”

“But be sure to bring everyone back here at seven for dinner!” Pinkie said excitedly. “And don’t you dare be late.” The last part was slightly worrying...but I dismissed it.

“Can do.” I said walking to the door. “Are you two coming?”

“No, just you.” Twilight said charging her horn.

“I can walk!” I said running towards the door but I was hit with the spell before I could escape and teleported back to the front door of our base. “Dang it, I was looking forwards to walking back.”

I walked to the door to find it locked. So I did the obvious thing and opened it myself with magic. We did not account for that when we built the base.

“Hey guys, we have a dinner date with the main six.” I called out to the camp.

Author's Note:

Take note of the name changes. I know its complicated but people names in Equestria would be weird. I'm trying to make a clean transition in one chapter to avoid confusion.

Cody is now Blue the Diamond Dog
Matthew is now Griffin the Griffin
Shawn is now Flash Beats the Changeling Unicorn
Nyjill is now Nyjill Moon the Thestral/Nocturne/Bat-Pony
Camden is now Atom Split the Unicorn