• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 3,410 Views, 116 Comments

Zombies to Ponies in Ten Seconds Flat - 8r0ny



The Zombie apocalypse, it sucks. A group of survivors made a portal to a new world, sending me and a few friends I was surviving with to the other side. What happenes next? Well thats just a few clicks away.

  • ...
12
 116
 3,410

8. Countdown to Discovery

The next morning we awoke a little earlier than normal to be sure we were ready to go when Zecora arrived. Whenever that was, probably should have set up a time but to be fair we don't exactly know about the time here. Based on how our watches aren’t all out of whack we can assume it's the same as home but who knows really. Maybe a day is split into 30 parts or tracking time is taboo because of Celestia and Luna controlling the celestial bodies or something crazy. Anyhow, we were up and getting our supplies together by sunrise.

“Today just bring harvesting supplies and one weapon.” I said to the group. “We want to keep our bags fairly empty to gather food and stuff so pack lightly but in a large bag.”

“I’ll also bring some supplies to make a map and take notes.” Camden added in. “So we can find our way back and pick the correct plants.”

“Good call.” Nyjill replied. “I doubt we’ll be able to remember all the different plants and where we can find them. Lets all take a pad of paper and a pencil.”

“That reminds me.” I said to the group. “Be sure to look at the new guard schedule we will be starting tonight. It’s over on the table in the kitchen.”

“Well I’m done packing.” Matthew said setting his bag near the door.

“I’m done too.” I said placing my bag by Matthew’s. “I think I’ll start the map by drawing our camp layout. It won't be pretty but it will get the idea across.”

“I see you laid out the schedule so that Cody and I will not be watching on the same night.“ Camden pointed out. “Good call, that way even if one of us is tired the other can still progress with what needs to be done.”

“Yup.” I said not looking up from my soon to be groundplan. “I know how to prioritize resources and people. That's what head of security is good at. Well that and headshots.”

“Your drawing is bad and you should feel bad.” Nyjill said helpfully, looking over my shoulder. “I mean you said it was going to be bad but-”

His helpful critique was interrupted by a knocking on the front door.

“Your mother smells of elderberries.” We heard Zecora’s voice say from outside the camp.

“Hey that's our line.” Matthew replied walking over to the door to open it.

“It let you know who was here did it not?” Zecora said smiling and walking in.

“She’s got you there.” I said walking over to greet her. “We weren’t sure when you would show up since we didn't set up a time. Also how do you guys tell time here?”

“We use sundials or roughly judge time by the position of the sun.” She replied. “We split our day into two hour periods-”

“Weird, it's the same as we do.” Camden interrupted. “As long as hours are split into 60 minutes and minutes into 60 seconds that is.”

“Yes, we do.” Zecora replied astonished. “How strange we use the same method of timekeeping. And now that I think about it we speak the same language as well.”

“That crossed my mind too.” Cody added in setting his bag with the rest of ours. “But I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.”

“You used that saying just because of where we are didn't you.” Nyjill asked looking disappointed in Cody.

“Maybe I did.” Cody said looking bemused.

“Well I believe we are all packed.” Camden said putting his bag with the rest. “We’re ready to go when you are Zecora.”

“I wonder if we should leave someone here to watch after camp in case someone happens to stumble upon it.” I said rubbing my chin. “No idea why I didn't think of this before. The real question is who to leave.”

“I assumed Camden and Cody were staying behind.” Nyjill said looking towards the two. “They’re always working on stuff here.”

“And as such we deserve a break.” Camden replied. “I too would like to explore. And gather data on our surroundings.”

"Yah, I say Nyjill or Matthew should stay.” I said scratching my head. “Nyjill you stay behind. Take the day off as it were.”

“But I wanted to go!” Nyjill said throwing a fake tantrum. “O well, I could use a break anyhow. You guys have fun, I’ll watch for raptor-squirrels.”

"You do that.” I said motioning to the group. “Already troops, let's head out.”

And with that we left camp with Zecora at the front leading us to mostly explored territory but teaching us things we didn't know. There were lots of plants that could be used in potions...but that wasn’t helpful to us so we told Zecora to keep it limited to edible plants. As it turns out we could find an Equestrian strand of wild lemons, garlic, onions, parsley, cilantro, chives amongst others. And surprisingly enough some veggies that looked just like they did back home like potatos, tomatos, carrots, cabbage, and peppers. All growing in the wild, this forest was just a giant garden, perfect for us to live in for however long we were here. No, I didn’t believe for a second we would be left alone completely but I don't see why we couldn't stay here...and at the same time I didn't see why we couldn't move. If we moved the portal machine the portals would still connect to home right? I’d need to ask Camden about that. Regardless we came back to camp a few hours later to empty our bags before heading out again.

“That was quick.” Nyjill said letting us in the front gates. “Figured you guys would be out all day.”

“We aren't interrupting your hot date are we?” I said jokingly. “We’re just here to empty our bags and then we’ll head back out.”

“Ahh, ok.” Nyjill said looking a little down.

"You want to go?” I asked putting the veggies in a cooler in the kitchen. “I can hang back this time and you can go play outside.”

“Really, you mean it?” Nyjill asked sarcastically. “Thanks Pa, I want to play ever so much. But really I would like to go.”

"Cool, take this with you then.” I said handing him my now empty bag. “Go tell the others that I’ll be staying behind this time.”

“Will do, don’t burn the place down while we’re gone.” Nyjill replied taking the bag and walking over to the others.

“No promises.” I replied as he walked over to the group. “I’d like some alone time myself.” I said quietly as the group left.

Once the group was gone I walked over and locked the doors. Heading back to the kitchen I had a few veggies on the counter that I was going to extract the seeds from. And in the case of the potato, cut it up. We had plenty and we were getting more but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start a little garden.

“We may need to move the fire pit to give us some more room but we have the space for a garden.” I said setting the extracted seeds and setting them on a metal sheet to be left in the sun.

I was quietly working when I heard what sounded like whispering. It seemed to be coming from outside the camp, possibly from the north wall. I stopped what I was doing and quietly walked over to the front door. I had a plan, was it stupid? Perhaps, but I executed it anyhow. I quietly unlocked one of the front doors and went to my tent to grab my crossbow. I then waited behind the storage tent for whoever was outside to make their way in. Sure enough the front door swung open ever so slowly before a head poked in. I couldn't tell who it was so I waited. Two more heads poked in, now there was an orange, white, and yellow head looking around from the door. Yah I’m not dense, it's the CMC coming to snoop.

“You sure that they all left?” Sweetiebelle asked the group. “Wouldn't they leave someone behind for reasons like this?”

“We just saw them all leave.” Scootaloo said walking through the door completely. “Don’t be such a scaredy cat.”

“I don’t know about this guys.” Applebloom said also walking in the door. “I just wanted to show you their camp, not explore it.”

“Well we’re already here.” Sweetiebelle pointed out walking in the door and closing it behind her. “Might as well look around real quick. But we don’t touch anything and we leave right after.”

“Sounds good to me.” Scootaloo said walking over to the kitchen first. “Eww, they have fish.”

“They eat fish?” Applebloom asked making a disgusted face. “That's nasty. Hey I thought we said we wouldn't touch anything!”

“I just opened a cooler.” Scootaloo defended.

“It’s still touching.” Sweetiebelle agreed. “No more touching.”

“Fine.” Scootaloo said dejectedly.

They made their way to our sleeping tents and I took the opportunity to move the science tent. I don’t know why but I felt like I’d just stay hidden. Once they moved to the storage tent I made a run for the kitchen. They then finished with the science tent and gathered in the middle of camp by the fire pit.

“I’ll admit this isn’t like anything I’ve ever seen.” Sweetiebelle said looking around. “Not that we didn't believe you.”

“Yah, I just wish we saw one of them close up.” Scootaloo said.

O how I wanted to just jump out and scare the crap out of them but I decided it would have been better not to. The last thing we need is them to run back to town screaming of monsters in the everfree and bring a mob of ponies to our front door. No, I’ll stay here and watch.

“Well we looked around, let's head back now before they come back.” Applebloom said walking towards the door. “Don’t want to overstay our welcome, especially since we were never actually invited.”

“I agree, let’s go.” Sweetiebelle added.

“Fine, we can go.” Scootaloo relented. “But we should talk to Zecora and ask if we can meet them!”

“I don't know, I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone but I told you guys.” Applebloom said opening the door and walking out. “I don't want to get in trouble.”

“You worry too much.” Scootaloo replied walking out the door next. “We’re your best friends, she probably knew you’d tell us.”

“Wait up.” Sweetiebelle said running out the door and closing it behind her

I could only hear muffled voices as they left so I got out of my hiding spot and walked over to the door and relocked it.

“That was interesting.” I said putting my crossbow back. “Also cemented my theory on how we’ll be found out. I think by tonight Rarity and Applejack will know. Tomorrow the rest of the main six will find out. Twilight will freak out for a day and send a letter to Celestia. And the next day we will be confronted.” I shook my head.

“Maybe it would be better If we presented ourselves instead of being the aliens hiding in the woods…” I said to myself waking to my tent to relax. “I’ll ask Zecora if she could go into town and invite the main six to a secluded location as to not draw attention to ourselves and talk.” I hopped into my hammock. “I also can't say ‘main six’, I’ll need to say something like leaders of the town or princess or something. If I say anything about Twilight and her friends it’ll be suspicious. It seems like a sound plan but who knows. Like I said before, a plan never survives contact with the enemy.”

I closed my eyes to rest for a little because I didn’t really have anything better to do. I gave it a valiant effort, staying awake that is. What if someone else were to come by? Who knows because all of five minutes later I was asleep.

Author's Note:

Dun Dun DUUUUUUN. It's looks like the secret can't be kept for too much longer.
Tune in next time for the shocking...next chapter.