• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 2,794 Views, 45 Comments

On Valentine's Day - Rose Quill



A collection of Valentine's Day/Heart and Hooves Day stories.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,794

Octavia and Vinyl Scratch

I fidgeted as the dryer rumbled gently in the background. I hated sitting still, it let too much rise up into my thoughts.

My computer was still mixing down the latest track I had written, and I didn’t want to try and work on anything while precious processor power was being sucked up by my music editor program. It was probably time to start thinking about updating to a newer model, but first I had to have the cash to do it.

“Vinyl, are you going to be ready in time?” I hear Octavia call up, her refined voice making me smile. Back when I had transferred to CHS, I hadn’t been well received. I was too gawky, too tall, and too quiet, but Octavia had befriended me without a second thought.

I ran my hand through my hair, leaning over the railing to see her standing down in the foyer, setting her cello to the side. I had been ecstatic when she told me she had made the local Philharmonic, another step towards her dream. She had immediately said that we were going out to celebrate, despite my preference to stay in.

I caught her eye and signed down Waiting on pants.

She nodded and came up to join me. She saw the mixing screen on my laptop and sat down next to me.

“A new mix for the club?”

I nodded, raising my hands to sign to her the title when she reached over and grabbed them, pushing them back into my lap.

“It’s just us, Vi,” she said. “You don’t need to hide from me.”

I glanced away, but she put a hand on my cheek and brought me around to face her again. I saw the love and understanding in her eyes. I sighed.

“It’s a remix of my intro music,” I said, my voice scratchy and deeper than I'd like. “I heard a really good beat the other day at the record store and I got the idea for it.”

She leaned into me, slipping an arm across my stomach.

“Now was that so hard, Vi?” she asked. “I don’t understand why you won’t relax even when it’s just you and me.”

“You remember what my Freshman year was like, Tavi,” I said. “Couldn’t even use the washroom in peace. The notes slipped in my locker, how hard it was to get people to call me the right name.” I sighed again. “It got easier as my meds started to make me look more like I should have, but that doesn’t erase the memories.”

“And you’re still embarrassed about your voice,” she finished for me.

I nodded. “It’s one thing I can’t change about me easily. So I try not to speak when I don’t have to.”

“It’s not that bad, Vi,” she said, reaching up to run her hand along my cheek. “It’s just a little rough. No one would have a problem with it. It’s certainly no worse than Rainbow’s voice.”

I searched her eyes for a hint of her just trying to ease my discomfort but saw none. She held up her hand and I saw her phone in it, the voice recorder activated. I frowned as she hit playback, and I heard the last five minutes of conversation again. I heard her voice and another young woman, voice a little rough but somewhere in an alto range.

“See?” she asked.

I felt some tears well up behind my eyes.

Are you ok? she signed, seeing the emotion rise.

I held up a single hand, thumb, index, and pinkie extended. She smiled and leaned up to peck me on the lips.

“I love you too, Vi,” she said as a buzzing sound came from further back in the loft.

“And I believe those are your trousers,” she said, rising and padding to the bedroom, giving an extra sway to her hip as she went.

“Do try and get ready quickly,” she said as she paused at the doorframe. “Honestly, you take more time than I do, silly girl.”

I grinned and pulled my good slacks from the dryer, heading to the smaller bathroom to hop in the shower.

My wife was waiting, after all.


I looked at myself in the mirror, fingers adding just a bit more tousle to my hair. I was in a pair of flared boot cut slacks and a long tunic. My glasses sat on the counter next to my headphones and I heard the door to the closest slide closed. Tavi apparently had chosen her shoes and was finishing up her preparations. I slipped my glasses and headphones on and went to slide my own shoes on.

I was pulling on a shin length cardigan when Octavia came out from the bathroom, her hair up in an elaborate wrap and a warm heater gray sweater dress on with a blanket scarf wrapped around her shoulders. She was wearing the boots that she knew I loved, their soft suede texture and the short stacked heel pushed aside the image of the serious musician and instilled an image of the woman I loved.

“I see we tied this time,” she said as she finished sliding a handful of bracelets onto one arm.

I smiled, pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose.

“I’m always ready for you,” I said as I signed out slowpoke.

She mock glowered at me and signed back screwball.

I giggled and grabbed the keys to the car.

“I’m driving,” I said.

“Of course you are,” Tavi said, grabbing my headphones and dropping them on the couch. “But those are staying here tonight.”

She leaned in close. “I’m going to make sure you enjoy every minute, my dear. I only want my wife to be happy.”

As we headed to the car, I leaned in and whispered in her ear.

“Wub you, Tavi.”

“Wubs to you too, Vi,” she said. “When we get back, you’ll have to play your new track for me.”

“You’ve heard it before,” I frowned slightly.

“I don’t care,” she said.

“Play it again.”

Author's Note:

The first of what I hope to be several unconventional relationships in my writing. Vinyl and Octavia do fit well together, and I think a reason we never hear Vinyl speak is not because she is deaf as we see so many times, but something more personal. I did find one piece of art that put her as blind and that was very interesting to see, though I've lost the link.

I almost made her mute due to a botched tonsillectomy, but then wondered what if she was ashamed of her voice, much like I am my own. That brought Vinyl over to my side of the brain, where identity is difficult to maintain and solid friends are worth more than all the bits in Equestria.

While our world has a way to go about acceptance, Equestria has surely moved past that. Ignoring some foalish teasing, ponies, in general, are very accepting of differences.