• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 2,776 Views, 45 Comments

On Valentine's Day - Rose Quill



A collection of Valentine's Day/Heart and Hooves Day stories.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,776

Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle

I set the candles on the table, glancing over at the kitchen.

“How’s dinner coming?” I asked.

Twilight leaned around the door to the kitchen, her hair slightly mussed.

“It’ll be out in a few minutes,” she said, wiping her brow. “It’s just got to reduce down a bit more.”

I nodded and grabbed a pair of glasses off the countertop and poured some nice cider in them. I would have liked to have wine on hand but I’m still a minor according to my id. Applejack, however, had some of the finest cider I’ve ever tasted and it would work out just as well.

I heard some plates clinking, almost covering up the sound of Twilight humming happily. I couldn’t see her from where I was without going into the kitchen proper, and I had been expressly forbidden to do so tonight. Everything was set to be a surprise. She had even kept a tight hold on her end of the bond, keeping anything more than excitement out of my perception.

I went to finish getting ready, pinning my hair back with my mother’s comb and a bobby pin. I wasn’t one to preen, but I did like putting in an effort for Twilight, just as she did the same. Tonight I had put on a green dress with some red cuffs and hems. Since we were in our apartment, I stayed barefoot.

I’m not sure why she wanted to stay in tonight instead of going out for Valentine’s Day. Sure, it was our first one since the wedding, but we’ve gone out plenty of times before. I came back to find her setting plates on the table. I lit the candles and looked at my love, who had dressed up in a long light blue dress and had done her hair up in a butterfly clip, her long tresses falling down to bounce around her face and shoulders.

She leaned over and gave me a peck on the cheek before sitting down. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Sunset,” she said.

I sat and smiled. “Happy Valentine’s Day,” I replied, looking at my plate. A thick creamy dish sat before me. I grabbed up a bit with my fork and took a bite, tasting the pasta and potatoes.

“This is pretty good, Twi,” I said, swallowing the mouthful. “Some sort of stroganoff?”

She nodded, chewing on a bite herself before washing it down with a sip of cider. “I tried using vegan meat substitutes to help make the roux. It’s nice being able to try new recipe ideas.”

I raised an eyebrow. “After a handful of experimental test runs, I‘m sure,” I smirked before taking a sip of cider myself.

She blushed behind her glass, her glasses sliding down slightly as she did. “Only once or twice,” she whispered.

We ate a few more bites before I set my fork down on my plate, looking across the table at her, a warm smile on my face. “So,” I said without preamble. “Why did you insist on eating in tonight? You can’t be embarrassed, it’s been a few years and we’ve eaten out plenty of times by ourselves. What gives?”

She shifted in her seat slightly, but not in nervousness. Her smile never flickered and I saw none of the uneasiness she used to show.

“This is our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple,” she said simply. “I just wanted to spend it with just you and me.”

I smiled at that and reached over to hold her hand.

“That is probably the sweetest, most sappy thing you’ve ever said, Twilight,” I said.

She ran her thumb across my knuckles, the gold of her ring glinting slightly.

“I’m glad you think so,” she said, her cheeks coloring slightly. “Which is another reason why I wanted to have this in private,” she said, glancing away, hints of her old nervousness appearing again.

“Oh?”

“Yeah,” she said, adjusting her glasses. “I was wondering lately. I wanted to know…” she trailed off into a voice softer than Fluttershy had managed at times.

“I didn’t quite catch that, Twilight honey.”

She took a deep breath and looked at me.

“Do you want kids?”

“I’ve always thought about it,” I said, getting up and moving over to kiss her. “But things are going to be a bit more complicated for us, I’m afraid.” I looked into her eyes. “Do you want kids?”

She twisted a lock of hair in her fingers. “Someday,” she said. “And I know it wouldn’t be as simple as most couples, but there are scientific studies coming out that suggest that we can have children that share both our genetic material.” She smiled. “Plus we have a little advantage that most couples don’t.” She reached up and cupped my cheek.

I smirked. “We’ll have to get in touch with Princess Cadence and see what she can tell us.” I leaned down and kissed her again. “But for now, what else do you have planned for the rest of the night?”

She leaned back, smiling.

“Well first things first, we finish this dinner that your amazing wife prepared,” she said, pointing at my chair.

I sat back down, laughing. “And then?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see,” she said with a mischievous smirk.

I rolled my eyes in return. “You’ve been spending too much time with Rainbow and Pinkie,” I said before sipping my cider again. “You’re getting snarky.”

She stuck her tongue out at me as she rose and took her plate to the kitchen. I finished the last bite of my serving and followed suit.

I felt her arms slide around my waist as I loaded the dishwasher, her head pressing against my back. I stood and grasped her hands with my own.

“Do you ever worry it’s just a dream?” she whispered. “That one day you’ll wake up and find out it was all just a fantasy?”

I turned in her arms, taking her by the waist, looking into her eyes.

“If so, then I hope it’s your dream,” I said, leaning forward and resting my head on her forehead.

“Why mine?” she protested.

Because I don’t want to exist in a world without you, Sunshine, I sent through our bond, the love and contentment that followed it building off Twilight’s love.

She laughed, a tear or two leaking out.

Meanie, she thought back. Make me be the dreamer.

I stood up straight and reached behind me, hitting the switch for the dishwasher, starting it up.

“I’m about to derail your plans, Twilight,” I said, pulling her along to the bedroom.

“I’m fairly sure we were going to wind up in here eventually, Sunny,” she deadpanned. “We both do have to sleep eventually.”

I smirked and eased her down onto the bed and got behind her, sliding the straps of her dress down and started rubbing her shoulders, working the tension from them.

“Mm,” she sighed. “This I don’t mind.”

I smiled and leaned in and nipped at her ear, moving a little lower on her back.

“Lie down,” I whispered.

As she shifted, I kept close, letting my body heat always be close enough for her to feel. We had noticed that I was always warmer than she was, though we never could tell - or care - why. She always took advantage to bask in the warmth I seemed to produce. I unzipped her dress and slid it down a touch, exposing her upper back. I undid the clasp of her bra and set into massaging her back, sliding over to straddle her thighs as I did. I began to alternate the gentle kneading of my hands with kisses, causing her to sigh with contentment. After a while, when I started having trouble finding places of tension, she looked back at me.

“My turn,” she said.

“If you say so,” I said, sliding off and watching as she slid her shoulder straps back up enough to keep her dress in place. “You’ve never shown a lot of interest in this sort of thing before.”

“Oh, I’ve read up,” she said with a smirk.

And when I felt her hands work the sides of my neck, I also felt gentle pressure start to knead the soles of my feet. I shivered as she kissed the nape of my neck and I felt more phantom hands working my back, thighs, and calves as her physical hands worked my shoulders.

“Cheater,” I moaned.

I couldn’t see her face from the way we were arranged, but I could tell she had stuck her tongue out at me again.