• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 2,790 Views, 45 Comments

On Valentine's Day - Rose Quill



A collection of Valentine's Day/Heart and Hooves Day stories.

  • ...
10
 45
 2,790

Rarity and Fluttershy

I rushed about, feeding all the animals in a hurry before running up the stairs to the small apartment over the shelter.

“Oh dear, I’m running so late,” I murmured, upset that I had lost track of time jotting down ideas for a new song. We didn’t get together all that often anymore, but Sunset, Twilight, Pinkie, AJ and I would sometimes go and do acoustic sets at a local coffee house. Next week we were supposed to have everyone here and play a benefit for the shelter.

But tonight was a special night. I stripped off my spotted and stained tank top as I hopped into my bathroom and cranked the shower into life, disrobing as quickly as possible and leaping in.

So much to do, I thought as I lathered up my hair, working the shampoo through my long tresses. I hope I don’t spoil Rarity’s plans.

I think I set a record time for washing and shaving. I wrapped a towel around me as I stepped out and wiped a hand across the mirror, seeing my reflection in the slightly fogged glass.

I was a little older but looked little different than I did in high school. Except maybe the timidity I once had in my eyes was gone, and I stood a little straighter, no longer hoping to hide behind my hair or disguise my height. I was even with Sunset and we were only slightly shorter than AJ.

I patted my hair as dry as it would get with a towel and brushed it out gently, wincing at the few snags I hit. I threw it up in a clip to keep it out of the way while I got dressed and did my makeup.

I slid a slip on before pulling the long dress Rarity had given me for my birthday last month and admired it for a moment. Its full skirt had been pleated in such a way that it would swirl slightly while I walked, and if I spun it would flare out to reveal it’s hidden pointed hem. Rarity had said it fit with my almost sylvan way of life. I just liked how pretty it looked and made me feel. The light green made me think of grass and trees.

I did a quick makeup work, keeping it to some eyeshadow and blush. Then I took my hair down and glanced at the clock.

I winced at the time. I had hoped to have more time, but I was running out. I pulled my hair into a high tail and pulled it into six sections, using a small elastic at the end of each to hold them separate. I then took my curling iron and curled each section, taking care not to let the iron to touch the elastic. When I pulled the hair ties out and gave my hair a quick ruffle, it fell in gentle waves around my shoulders. It wasn’t the most elaborate look I could do, but it would work in a pinch. Slipping on a pair of flats and chunky bracelet, I pulled on my peacoat and grabbed my purse, slipping out the door and into the late afternoon sun.


“Just a moment, dear,” I hear Rarity call from upstairs. “I’m afraid I’m running a trifle late today.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. I had made it to Manehattan with a few minutes to spare for the time we had agreed to meet and had a grace period I didn’t even know about. I sat on one of Rarity’s couches, crossing my legs and looking at the loft.

The warehouse had been converted into three large studio lofts, the other two vacant at the moment. Rarity’s lower floor was dominated by her workspace, leaving a small space for entertaining and a kitchen. She had attempted to separate the work and living areas by setting up folding dividers, but her organized chaos tended to drift across the border more often than not.

I stood when I heard heels clicking on the metal stairs of the spiral staircase. Rarity soon appeared, a gorgeous white dress with black accents paired with a pair of black ankle boots sheathing her slight form. She was still fitting earrings to her left ear, alternating a small gold hoop in the back with the black titanium dangles I had gotten her for Christmas in the forefront.

She smiled as she saw me, reaching out and pulling me into an embrace. “Hello, dear heart,” she whispered into my ear and I melted a little. “Are you ready for dinner?”

“I’m in no rush,” I said softly. “No need for this night to end quickly.”

She dazzled me with a smile and took my arm in hers.

“Then by all means,” she drawled. “We’ll take the scenic route.”


The scenic route turned out to be the footpath through the botanical gardens near the university. It was still green and vibrant in most spots, annuals and Evergreen trees forming large places of shade even in winter.

Rarity stopped near a southern magnolia tree, smiling and turning to me.

“Close your eyes, darling,” she said.

I was a little confused, but I trusted her. As soon as my eyes were shut, I felt her take my hands.

“Now follow me, and don’t worry,” she said. “I won’t let you fall.”

A few moments later, she stepped behind me and placed her hands on my shoulders.

“Ok, Fluttershy,” she whispered. “You can open them.”

I blinked my eyes open and saw a large sheet spread out across the ground under one of the larger magnolia trees, a basket sitting in the center with a bottle of sparkling cider and two glasses next to it. I turned to my love, surprised.

“I thought that we spent enough time in restaurants,” she said. “And I know you don’t especially care for crowds that much, so I thought this would be a little more ‘us’, a little more personal.” She smiled. “Besides, there’s supposed to a meteor storm tonight, and this is a great place to view them from.”

We started to unpack the basket, wonderful vegetarian dishes set within. Out of all our friends, Rarity and I understood Sunset’s diet preference and shared it more often than not. Rarity laid out a plate of cucumber sandwiches and a bowl of a spinach and romaine salad. A small bowl of berries and nuts were set out as well.

“And the centerpiece of the whole affair,” Rarity said with a mysterious air, just before drawing out a small mp3 player and a pair of speakers. She hit a button and the soft sounds of nature started to filter through, birdsong and the sound of wind in the trees.

I smiled, a tear sneaking by to creep down my face. “This is so nice, Rarity,” I whispered.

She waved a well-manicured hand. “After all the effort you went through last year to get us tickets to the Countess Coloratura and Sapphire Shores concert? I thought this was the least I could do, set up a dinner in the midst of your own element.”

I giggled. “I keep telling you, I’m not an elf, dear.”

Rarity smiled even broader. “I agree. You’re more like a sylph; mysterious, beautiful, and next to impossible to catch.” She eyed me over a cucumber sandwich. “Makes me wonder how lucky I truly am.”

“Oh, Rarity,” I said. “I’m the lucky one.”

“Tell you what, darling,” she purred as she leaned forwards. “How about we just accept that we’re both lucky?”

She kissed me, and the stars themselves blazed brighter.


I woke up late that night, warm arms wrapped around me. I smiled as I heard her soft breathing and looked up at her sleeping face.

I hoisted myself up slightly and kissed her lightly on the lips. She murmured some nonsense and smiled.

“I love you, Rarity Belle,” I whispered before laying back down and falling asleep in the arms that gave me the comfort and support I had dreamed of for years.