• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 3,920 Views, 257 Comments

Queen of Equestria - BlackWater



Queen Twilight Sparkle is now the only ruler of Equestria. Her own safety and that of the nation are torn apart by those intent on their own rise to power and a shadow obsessed with immortality...

  • ...
13
 257
 3,920

23 - Promise

Applejack leaned her hat over her face. She was sitting in Vanhoover’s central park. There was a light snow all around her, drifting through the air and dusting the faded browns and oranges of what leaves remained on the trees. It was cold, but she was warm enough with the denim jacket she wore along with the scarf around her neck. The scarf wasn’t the same one she had worn coming here though. This one was a black and dark blue cloth that Rara had given her.

The Earth pony was thinking. Maybe passing ponies thought she was asleep on the park hill. Maybe Rara had given her enough time to actually do so – what with her being wrapped up with show practice until their meeting here. Twenty minutes to go. The pony selling hot buns and apple fritters across the park had promised her a fresh set when her company showed up.

Too much to think about. Immortality? Pffft. Not something she needed to contemplate when she still had her own feelings to sort out over her fillyhood friend. Did she like mares? For that matter, did she like stallions? Love had never been on her top stack of priorities. She certainly had never dated before. She hadn’t planned on getting into it but she hadn’t planned to not get into it either. Love like this just sat over there in the dusty corner, hidden behind rows of apple trees needing to get bucked.

“Rara...” she breathed out, her warm breath a tiny fog in the park air. It dissipated. She wished her conflicted feelings did the same. “Consarnit,” she added.

Applejack liked being a mare who knew what she wanted and just gosh darn did it.

So far the only thing she was one hundred percent down on was that there was no way in Tartarus she would stoop to asking Rarity for advice on this. Not because there was some feud between them but rather because she already knew what advice it would be. Stupid hivemind. The farmpony knew that going all the way with Rara or not at all was the only style she would accept. AJ was not, after all, known for being half-baked.

She lifted her stetson hat again. Laying on her back gave her a good view of the winter-ready trees that reached their branches around the edges of her skyward view. Time to say goodbye to the pony she had been. The pony who had never known a love. At least this kind of love, that is.

“Guess it’s easy to never change when your whole world is just one farm,” she whispered out to the cold sprinkle of snowflakes falling down towards her vision. “Rara likes me for who I already am, though. So why do I feel...afraid?”

Twilight skipped down the street in her winter garb. If the rest of Equestria was only entering winter then the Crystal Empire was dead in the middle of it. Or so it seemed. Biomes were interesting in that way. Seasons were relative to them all.

“Your majesty,” a crystal pony greeted her in passing with a bow.

“Good morning,” Twilight cheerfully responded. More would do the same as he did, as others had done so before. Formalities had little effect on her mood, however. She was still beaming from the previous night. It had been good rest too. Perhaps she and the others had slept in a tad since it was now late morning, but it seemed to take forever for the sun to come out anyways. She giggled at her internal joke.

The sunrise. That had been an interesting chore. So much so that it had become the topic upon her meeting, sitting down with, and eating an early lunch with the Union ambassador. For that was what she was now engaged in. The restaurant, Crystal Delights, was an impressive combination of clear crystal décor and ravishingly good food. The conversation, unfortunately, distracted from it. The pleasantness of it made up for that, though.

“So then you have reviewed the official cooperation proposal documents we have provided?” Ambassador Friendly asked for clarification.

After swallowing her bite of pancake and enjoying the sweet taste of breakfast-for-lunch, Twilight affirmed. “Everything is in order and there’s nothing I object to or that wasn’t intended in our earlier discussions. I have to say, I really appreciate how succinct the proposal was. I was able to read through it quickly. A similar proposal from the Equestrian court would have easily been four times as long.”

The mare grinned. “Thank Stalliongrad for that. They pushed in to be the leaders on this. And if there is one thing they hate then it is bureaucracy.”

“Of course, the legal framework is quite different,” Twilight remarked while eying her pancakes. “Modern Equestrian framework has become more focused on technical liability and strict wording, which is partly what makes it so long-winded. Yours is more...”

“Held to account on the basis of intent,” Friendly nodded. “I understand. I too have read the documents you provided in return and, anyways, I am familiar with Equestrian legality. It is not how we do things. Our citizens are never allowed to manipulate words and weasel out on technical meanings and most would not try to begin with. To be blunt, I would not have trusted any Equestrian proposal without your personal involvement and assurance. Without it, any ‘agreement’ from this land is not worth the paper it is written upon.”

To some high-nosed Canterlot noble, that would have been an unforgivable insult. Twilight, however, lacked a history of pointing her nose too high. Besides that, she actually agreed and Friendly likely knew that and thus was willing to say it in front of her. Twilight’s always growing knowledge of the court’s history and, in particular, the recent attempted coup were no small reminder of the betrayals of the previous law makers.

Twilight ate another bite of pancake before continuing. “I take it that there were others besides yourself that were willing to have a deal with my word to back it up?”

“How perceptive,” Friendly praised. “Of course, that is true. My own opinion only goes so far. Actually, the councils of Marescow and Stalliongrad had been discussing a trial run project with Equestria for some time. Thanks to the unofficial cooperation on our borders through your Captain of the Guard. Word of your actions in Las Pegasus encouraged them to step it up.”

“Las Pegasus?” Twilight said without quite finishing her next bite. It may have been slightly “bad mannered” but she was genuinely surprised. “How so?”

The pale red mare opened up the front of her sweater. Her coat was already off since they entered the restaurant but even her sweater was apparently getting too warm for her. Obviously the temperature of the Crystal Empire – as low as it was – had little against the freeze of the upper north.

“It was the first time since the founding of Equestria that the police force of the elites had ever been questioned. It showed your interest in the well-being of the commoners was more than talk. It also showed you have a spine.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Twilight smoothly replied after properly swallowing this time. “On that note, I have to admit I’ve become rather curious at the...umm...inadequacies of past relations. It seems to me to be quite obvious that-”

“Excuse me,” the waitress pony interrupted gently upon walking up to the table. She looked as timid as when she had taken their orders. A local mare not used to the company of alicorns or northern tribes. “I c-can go ahead and refill those glasses for you...”

“Oh, thank you very much!” Twilight happily responded with a reassuring smile.

“You are very kind,” Friendly added as well upon her glass being refilled by the pitcher held aloft by the waitress’ magic.

Once the waitress moved on, so did Twilight. “There are bound to be differences of perspective between nations or groups of people. Any Equestrian ambassador should be aware of this and knowledgeable about bridging those differences. I hate to use the word ‘inept’ because, given the records from the foreign relations office in Canterlot, I can’t seriously believe that botched relations with the northern tribes as well as the griffons was anything but intentional.”

“This is something I have come to respect in you.”

“Huh?” Twilight turned puzzled at her remark.

The mare leaned back in her seat, a comfortable ease in her posture. “You do not do not jump to assumptions or invent lies to inflate the ego of either Equestria or yourself. You seek truth, question those within your own borders, and hold them accountable when necessary. In Las Pegasus, they now call you a hero. With the new relations you are forming between our people and the integration of the changelings here in the Empire, I anticipate the entire world will begin looking to you for leadership and hope.”

Twilight was stuck between embarrassment and shock.

“I am not exaggerating,” Friendly defended herself with a carefree giggle. “The Marescow council held a summit only two weeks ago with nineteen of the world’s national bodies. I talked to many leaders there and they were very happy with the lack of Equestrian presence. Oh no,” she quickly backtracked. “I meant they were happy because they were aware of changes you had been making on Equestria’s foreign agenda. They anticipate significantly improved relations at the next summit.”

“Improved in any specific manner?” Twilight thought aloud.

“Trade, travel, cultural exchange, and border claims,” Friendly detailed. “The last of which is only on the southern border of Equestria, of course. Natural barriers prevented historical expansionism on other fronts. Something of the same could be said of Marescow, I suppose. Though there has been a lack of interest in expansionism with my people for many centuries.”

“Since the banishment of Nightmare Moon at least,” Twilight nodded. Then she looked to answer the curious look on the ambassador’s face. “For a variety of reasons from geographical constraints and logistics to culture. I’ve read several books on the subject.”

Friendly giggled again. “It would seem so.”

Queen Twilight Sparkle finished the small remainder of her pancakes and was ready to begin a new thread of conversation on exchanges of technology when a crystal pony ran straight over to their table from the outside. “Queen Twilight! Sunburst sent me to tell you the Crystal Heart is changing!”

The alicorn’s mood dropped from general merriment to seriousness in a flash. “Please excuse me, Friendly. We will have to talk more later.”

The Union ambassador gave a courteous nod and signaled the waitress. “To your duty.”

The purple and green dragon towered over the wizard while on his hind legs. He hadn’t grown from yesterday but his mood was certainly as concerned as Twilight when she approached. “More information would be appreciated,” he said in a tense tone of voice.

“What’s going on?” Queen Twilight Sparkle called out as she ran up to the underbelly of the Crystal Castle. After coming around the enormous banks of snow, she could see Spike, Sunburst, and a few other crystal ponies around the Crystal Heart. It was pulsing slow and almost too bright to even look at. Spots were within the glare, as if parts of the Heart no longer shined. Holes.

Even stranger were thick vines that now stemmed from the heart, twisting down to the ground and stretching out across the melty snow towards the castle legs. The vines glowed as well and shimmered with the same crystal material.

“Twilight,” Sunburst greeted and beckoned her closer. “The Heart is entering another stage. I’m certain my predictions were accurate! The love of ponies and changelings – at the very least of the friendly kind – has given power to the Heart that it is now growing with and reflecting backwards. The love of dragons and ponies helped tip the evolutionary state!”

“Where’s Rarity?” Twilight then thought to ask upon looking around. She could have pried open that part of the hivemind to find out but had kept it closed since last night on account of Spike and Rarity’s privacy.

Spike’s face went from stock still to slow blush to a hesitant “heh heh.” It told Twilight all she needed.

“Nevermind,” the purple pony disregarded her inquiry. “We just need to make sure the changeling and crystal pony integration groups are okay.”

“Already sent medical assistants,” Spike responded, folding his arms. “They’ll get full medical teams to any locations needing them. So far nothing.”

“Which is good,” Sunburst declared. “Integration has started having beneficial effects,” he pushed up his glasses with the remark. “But the changelings are badly malnourished. If my suspicions are correct, the Heart’s evolution will be able to heal that.”

“Since the changelings feed off of love,” Twilight finished for him, her eyes back on the hole-ridden heart. It looked worse, not better. And yet the color was more brilliant than ever. “For once I rush to good news,” she commented with a grin aimed at Spike.

The dragon shrugged but smiled. “I guess not everything in life has to be a total disaster after all.”

“Really now,” Sunburst gave an “ahem” towards the Empire’s hero. “It’s not like that wasn’t apparent before this morning. The Heart glowed so bright last night that I was seeing afterimages until ten minutes ago.”

Both Spike and Twilight looked away with blushes on their faces.

“In any case,” Sunburst shook his head. “The Heart is progressing smoothly. We should be able to celebrate tonight if all the groups check out. And by ‘we’ I mean me. You two have celebrated enough as it is.”

“Hey, I-!” Spike began to protest.

“If this is all I was called over for then I’ll just get to helping the medical aids...” Twilight rolled her eyes but laughed as well.

“Wait!” Sunburst stopped the queen before she could leave. “I wanted to give you this as well. She set up a magic deposit with me before leaving.”

“A letter?” Twilight tilted her head in curiosity as his magic passed it to her. It was pink with a frilly design. The front was stamped with hearts and a foal-grade drawing of a purple pony with a yellow, blue, and black one. “Cadance,” Twilight deadpanned. “It better not be what I think it is...”

“A ‘friendly’ letter of lewd jabs and gratuitous innuendos?” Spike deadpanned with her. “I got one too. And yes, it is.”

Apparently Cadance was either bored or having way too much fun on her return trip with Shining Armor.

“You know what would have made that even more awesome?” Rainbow Dash asked Fluttershy from the bed. Her yellow-feathered lover was across the room, testing out a new outfit on herself that Rarity had given her for the cold weather. The deep earthy tones of the fur-like overcoat fabric did justice to her love of nature and yet it gave her a bold presence like some lord of ancient times.

“Yes, Dashie?” Fluttershy prompted, looking herself in the mirror. She liked the look of it just fine but actually enjoyed the warmth the most. It might have been a bit too warm at present due to the crackling fireplace of the large bedroom, but the overcoat felt like the warmth of a heated bunny burrow within a grassy hill. She would know, since a few of her bunny friends had them. Except Angel, who just used her cottage.

“Nothing,” the blue pegasus chuckled.

Fluttershy giggled back but after a moment an idea popped into her head, giving her a sly grin and half-lidded eyes. She turned back to the other pegasus. “I don’t know, Dashie,” she took a step towards the bed. “For a talented athlete such as yourself, I was surprised you tired out so quickly.”

Rainbow’s mouth hung open a moment before she made to comment. “Look who got a confidence boost,” she folded her forehooves and frowned.

Might be an effect of the hivemind, Twilight commented from afar.

“Actually, I wish I had gotten to see you and Chrysy get closer,” Fluttershy continued and perched on the end of the bed. “I agree with Twilight. There’s a lot of sexual tension between you two.”

Rainbow’s mouth hung open again and was punctuated by a few speechless squeaking noises from her.

“I agree as well,” the pillow behind Rainbow said.

The blue pegasus lurched forward and tumbled across the bed in surprise. “Chrysalis!” she shouted. “Stop turning into non-living objects!”

“Aww. Why not?” the changeling pouted in humor after shifting back into her large normal form on the bed. She was sprawled out lazily – a country mile from what Rarity would consider decent.

“I don’t want to take a shower only to find out later that you were the bar of soap,” Rainbow rolled her eyes.

Fluttershy thought about that for a second and blushed.

“Oh, ho ho ho,” Chrysalis chuckled merrily. “Are you the kind of pony that skips the wash cloth and rubs the bar directly on your body? Even...down there?”

Having already known the answer, the question was merely rhetorical. Silence and a red face.

“Thanks for giving me an idea,” Chrysalis purred. “While we’re at it, do you have any toys I can impersona-”

BAM!

Chrysalis was smacked in the face with a pillow.

BAM!

Another.

Fluttershy vacated the battlezone.

“Go on!” Rainbow warned. “Turn back into a pillow so I can throw you!”

“I think I’ll go check on Rarity. Have fun, you two,” Fluttershy giggled on her way out of the room.

Chrysalis gave her a hooves up to show her approval. Then she returned her attention to the huffing blue mare. “Come now, Dashie. Just relax. I can fulfill any wish you want. No matter how kink-”

BAM!

The changeling took a deep breath and then mustered up a renewed smirk. “Twilight Sparkle.”

Rainbow grabbed one of the pillows she had previously thrown to reuse it.

“As a stallion.”

The pillow dropped from her hooves. Her miffed expression softened back to embarrassment.

Chrysalis instantly flashed into a new form via the green flame of her changeling magic. She had become a purple alicorn stallion with princely locks matching Twilight’s colors. He was sprawled across the bed as Chrysalis had been and yet, this time, his position was nothing less than suggestive to Rainbow.

The Element of Loyalty gulped, her resolve to destroy the redeemed villain now a crumbling mess. “Has to be Twi, though,” she squeaked out after a long minute.

“Very well,” the stallion sighed. Before transforming again, he crawled over to Rainbow and breathed in her ear. His gentle voice just as the mare had imagined it might be. Hardly shocking since that imagining had smoothly been drawn upon through their shared mind. “I will enjoy playing with you in the future then...my naughty mare.”

Rainbow Dash experienced her first fainting not related to daring acrobatic stunts.