• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,510 Views, 199 Comments

Replay - Scootaloose



A musician has to start a life from scratch as a pony, but not everything can go the way you expect.

  • ...
16
 199
 3,510

Still Alive

Still Alive

I woke up for my fourth time in the same day: Waking up in the morning, my power nap, le electro choc, and that lightning bolt...

I was still floating in the air, and after a short moment I noticed I wasn't flying in a Toronto sky anymore - however, the heavy rain and lightning were still there. I could see grasslands below me, a town to the east with a forest next to it... and the hill with the tree on top to the west... almost exactly like in my dream. Straight down I could see a long thin line that stretched out to both ways and onto the horizons, which I assumed to be the railway I’ve seen in my dream.

The fuck is going on? I began thinking, Everything looks just like my dream but from a different perspective. Am I in the hospital from that accident? I mean, I can't feel anything... and it's like I'm dreaming in third person or something, r-right? Totally possible...

But I don’t seem to be floating up anymore... I seem to be floating across the the sky now, like a cloud... that's it! I'm having that same dream but from a cloud's point of view! It makes much more sense now! I thought to myself, obviously losing it at that point.

I stopped caring about what was going on and watched the scenery. It was dark and grey because of the storm, but I was still aware of my surroundings... I couldn't see anyone down on the ground because of the altitude, but I simply assumed that my own self was standing down there, all soaked and looking around without worrying about anything.
I looked back to the clouds around me, and there I saw it. That same cyan winged horse-like creature from my dream, hopping around the clouds and kicking them once in a while and causing lightning bolts to strike down at the earth. It didn't call me out down below like before, nor did it look down at the ground this time - Instead it started to fly towards my cloudy body, which what I was considering myself to be at that point in time.

So.. is that thing going to kick the shit out of me to make me spit out lighting bolts? Oh God why...

When someone experiences a weird or scary moment in their dreams they usually wake up, yet I couldn’t find myself to do so. As the creature got closer I recognized its features a bit better and it looked just like a winged horse; a Pegasus. After a few failed attempts to ‘pull’ away from this dream I remembered the faint memories I could make from the event before this ‘dream’... That... shocking surprise.

Oh man, what if I really am dead???
What is this? Is this some kind of cruel joke on me? I died, and now I am reborn as a fucking cloud, bound to be beaten by a pegasus until I spit out lightning?? Why couldn't I be reborn as a normal living being? Like a bird or something??
Wait, now that I think about it... clouds aren't living bei- OW!

I was lost in my own thought process and ignored the pegasus’ presence. It gave me a swift kick from above, and suddenly I found myself speeding down towards the ground at an insanely high speed. The air cleared up slightly after I left the cloud layer and I saw a body laying on the grass - but I was going too fast to make out what it was and everything looked blurry to me.

And then I hit that body really hard - Or at least it felt like it. There was a big flash and everything went white. One could say I whited out and went completely unconscious for the third time in the same day.


Okay, I'm getting really sick of being knocked out cold now... Wasn't dying enough already??

I opened my eyes. My vision was as blurry as the time I got shocked by that wire, but at least I wasn't spazzing out. I felt extremely weak, my throat felt dry as a desert and my insides hurt like no tomorrow - I felt like hammered shit. But at least I felt that I had a body to feel something. I could feel the cool wet grass, and the raindrops from the storm hitting my side with all its might. My vision slowly started to recover, and so did my hearing and the rest of my senses.
Once my vision was fully back to normal, I saw a bolt of lightning strike a few feet away of me. The loud thunder made my ears ring for a few more seconds, but I didn't give a flying fuck about it. Being struck or turn deaf by a lightning bolt was nowhere in my list of worries at that moment. A few seconds passed and I heard someone yell out "Are you ok?". I tried talking, but all I did was let out a very sore groan, and my dry throat didn’t help a single bit.
I was too tired and weak to barely move my head, so I closed my eyes and tried to rest. But the memories from recent events came back to keep me awake.

Heh, turns out Gary will never have the chance to pull a real prank on me... ever again...

I heard something land a few feet behind me. It then started to walk towards me, as I could hear it stepping on the grass and the occasional splashes from puddles nearby. The rain was starting to go stop by then, and a female voice started talking:

"Are you ok?! I thought I had hit you or something with that lightning bolt!"

I let out a faint moan, followed by a small cough from my dry throat.

"Phew, I thought you were dead... Can you get up? Do you want me to get some help or do you want me to stay and keep you company?"

I wasn't sure if I would be able to get up any time soon. I could use some help, but having someone to talk to made me less nervous. I tried speaking, and luckily I managed to say something understandable:

"Stay... please..." I couldn’t even recognize my voice because it was so weak and dry. I didn’t even think that whoever was there with me understood it.

I shut my eyes for a moment and tried to rest again. Whoever was keeping me company helped me calm down, and I fell asleep almost instantly.


I think I was asleep for roughly an hour. The weather had cleared up and the sun was visible - it seemed it was around 4PM, considering the sun’s position on the sky.
I shifted my head a bit, trying to get a bearing of my surroundings. The female voice spoke again. It had a raspy tone to it - A bit tomboyish I might add.

"So... Do you want to talk or are you just gonna have me stay here and watch you sleep?"

I felt I was able to move around with ease. I tried getting up to my feet, but something caught my eye when I looked at my hands... because they weren’t hands anymore. There were no more fingers, and instead I found myself staring at a pair of white hooves - same thing for my feet. I flinched and jerked my head backwards so quickly it was strong enough to pull my whole body up from the ground and onto my feet - hooves, in my case - and let out a scream, just like that morning with Gary and the car. I was in the body of a freaking horse!

"AAAAH!" I yelled out in panic, and shut myself up almost instantly after not recognizing my own voice; It felt and sounded completely different!

"Whoa whoa whoa! Calm down! What's wrong!?" Said the female voice, obviously startled after my tantrum...

I shakily turned around - while trying not to fall - to look at her and I saw the cyan, rainbow-haired pegasus from my dream, and the hour before. I could now see her eyes clearly: they were big and had a dark pink iris. She didn’t look like the horses I knew; her head was rounder and her muzzle was a lot shorter, her legs were a bit thicker and her body was generally slimmer. Nonetheless it still resembled a horse, it was surreal! But still... holy shit, not only it was a flying horse, but it was a talking horse!

"WHAT!? You can talk??" I yelled out, still disturbed with the change in my voice - and everything else for that matter.

The pegasus rolled her eyes. "No... what you hear is a parrot... of course I can talk! Did you fall off a train and hit your head or something?"

"What train?", I asked, trying to put my wits together as I spoke. She gestured her foreleg to the rail line a few feet from where we were standing.

"I wasn't on a train... In fact, I wasn't in this place at ALL!" I said breathing heavily, barely able to stand up in my new body.

"Are you alright? You look panicky, you can't even stand up straight." She inquired, slightly worried.

"That's because I'm not supposed to be a freaking pony!" I screamed but not directed towards her. I was scared out of my mind and she seemed to understand that without any worry.

"Well, you obviously are one right now...", the pegasus rolled her eyes once again.

"What I meant to say is that I wasn't a pony until today..." I said trying to calm myself down and not scream my throat to oblivion. I was slowly but surely gaining control of my legs by then, "In fact, from where I am... ponies can't talk; nor do they have wings!"

"They can't talk... and they have no wings? Boy it must be preeetty boring being a pony where you came from..." She said.

And without a shred of doubt I realised the truth in her words... I was in a place where there were flying horses that could talk and communicate like sentient beings. That's something no one experiences in a lifetime... except for me, of course.

"So... where are we?" I asked.

"We're a few miles from Ponyville, where I live. I am in weather duty, keeping the rain heavy and all, but then I got bored and started to kick the clouds and cause some lightning... until I saw you down here."

"Wait wait... Ponyville? There are MORE talking ponies like you???"

"You don’t say?” she asked sarcastically, but I could tell that she was just trying to brighten up my mood, one way or another.

"Well... can you take me there? My throat is dry as a rock in a desert and my insides hurt so badly I could eat those train tracks. My guess is that you all eat fruits and hay, like from where I come from... right?"

"Sure. There's an apple farm run by the Apple Family next to town, so you got plenty of their apples to eat at the market - But I prefer their cider, it's delicious!” She said.

"Alright, let's go then." I said. I was feeling a bit more calm and the tragic event that took place before all this wasn't worrying me as much. I took a step forward - just to end up tripping and falling face first on the ground, causing the pegasus to laugh hard at my failure.

"You're like a little baby taking your first steps!” She said after she stopped laughing, “It's funny, but kinda cute actually."

And she was right. I was pretty much a little colt, like she said. I never walked with a set of four legs before, so I just chuckled with her while I picked myself up.

"Why don't you just fly to Ponyville? It's much faster than walking." She asked me, hovering in front of me.

"But... I don't have wings..."

She sighed, hovered to my side and poked me on what I felt as my wing, just like hers - except mine were white. It felt really strange to feel a part of your body that you never had in your life. I could understand the legs and everything else, but the wings just felt weird as hell.

"Wait whaaa..." I muttered in confusion as I looked behind me and at my wings.

"Well, seeing as you can barely walk, I don't think you can fly at all...” She chuckled, “I guess I'll have to walk with you to Ponyville."

"Nah, it's fine. I know where to go now; you can go ahead of me. We'll meet there instead". I could see on her face that she looked like she wanted to fly as fast as she could, and I felt that I didn't want to hold her back.

"I don't like leaving my friends hanging. I'll go with you." She insisted, smiling.

I smiled at that moment - I had died, come back to life, and I already made a friend... I felt so alive - Of course, I died not too long ago but somehow... I was still alive.

"You never told me your name, I think I should've asked you by now." Said the pegasus.

"Johnathan Crown. But back where I lived, I was mostly called Johnny Bass." I said. "What about you? What's your name?"

"The name's Rainbow Dash, best flyer in all of Equestria!", she replied with a proud smile and pumped her chest outwards, "Nice to meet you, Johnny."

Equestria... this just get weirder and weirder, doesn't it?