• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,510 Views, 199 Comments

Replay - Scootaloose



A musician has to start a life from scratch as a pony, but not everything can go the way you expect.

  • ...
16
 199
 3,510

Losing Complete Sanity

Losing Complete Sanity

After loading the apples onto the cart and walking back to Sweet Apple Acres with Applejack, it was time for me to start looking for Pinkie's party that was supposed to start in the hour. Without any clue to its whereabouts I had to start looking. There's nothing fun about being late to your own party.

"Ah can take over from here Johnny", said Applejack, while she stored the apples in the barn with the help of a big red stallion, who I assumed to be a family member.

"Oh, right. This is my brother, Big Macintosh", she said after noticing me watching them unload the cart, and threw another basket over to him, which he grabbed the handle with his mouth without dropping a single apple.

"Howdy!", I said.

He simply nodded with a short smile and grabbed another flying basket a few seconds later. Only then I noticed he was chewing on something that looked like a piece of hay or something, like cowboys in wild west movies.

"He's quiet like that, don't worry", said Applejack. "Don't ya have a party to go to?"

"Right, I'll head back to town and start looking for it", I said and started walking back

"Hold on, I forgot to tell ya something", she said quickly.

I turn around once again. These ponies always have something to say right after we finish talking!

"Pinkie said to look fer clues 'round Ponyville to find out 'bout the party. Somethin' bout paper scattered 'round town. She said it so fast ah couldn't get all of it."

"Alright, thanks. I should get going now.", I said. "Aren't you going to the party, too?"

"Yes, but the difference is that ah know where the party is, suger", she smirked. "Ah can't go with you 'cause you got to use the clues to find the place"

"And the Pinkie Promise.... I get it now"

"Eeyup", she nodded.

"I'll be off then, see ya later!", I said and turned back to town, this time nopony else calling my name because they forgot to tell me something.


As soon as I got back to town, I wasted no time in looking for those paper clues. Though I couldn't search too hard or else I'd be late to my own party. But I couldn't search too fast or I would miss the clues and end up being late to the party too. Oh boy, Pinkie sure planned this one out perfectly...

But one thing caught my eye when I started looking around: the town looked deserted. Almost all the houses had their lights turned off, and only the street lamps were there to light the town. Either something was going on or Pinkie invited the whole town to the party.

"Time to look for clues, I guess...", I said to myself. Nopony to hear me this time so I could talk like this without any eavesdroppers to take my words the wrong way...

It wasn't hard to find Pinkie's clues, since there was an envelope taped to a tree next to one of the houses, labelled "to JB"

"I guess Applejack wasn't the only one who thought about calling me JB...", I muttered.

I pulled out the envelope and opened it.

This is your written telegram
I hope it finds you well
You're invited to a party
'Cause we think you're really swell

Gummy is turning one year old so help us celebrateOops! This is Johnny's party not Gummy's! This means I should be giving you clues, not an invitation. Silly me!


Okie dokie lokie! Here is your first clue:

Park.

"Park... Time for a walk in park, then", I said out loud. Putting my thoughts into words helped me keep focused, and since nopony was around there was no complaining or "why are you talking to yourself?" out of nowhere.

I flew to the park, since there was nopony to crash into by accident. I had to land once I got there because it was already dark out and the only source of light in the park at the moment was the Moon, which looked almost exactly like the Moon I knew before, except it didn't have as many dark spots, but who am I to complain? It still looked glorious as ever. The night sky here in Ponyville was a lot brighter than in any city I've been to. If I stared at it long enough I could make out a bit of the galaxy.

And I wasted a minute or two star gazing... so much for talking to myself to keep focused...

o"Damn you beautiful sky, I'm getting late to my party!” I yelled out. "No hard feelings though, I gotta find some time to admire you more". Man I must be losing my sanity if I'm starting to talk to the skies...


Meanwhile in Princess Luna's room, she got this warm feeling in her heart and let out a short giggle


I started looking around the park for any loose envelopes. I mostly looked near trees, since it’s a lot easier to spot a hanging piece of paper on a tree trunk than on the grass. In a matter of seconds I spotted an envelope taped to a nearby tree.

I picked it up and opened the envelope labelled the same way as the first one. Reading was a bit harder this time because I had no light source other than the moonlight. A cold breeze almost made the paper fly away if I hadn’t put my hoof on top of it quickly. After squinting my eyes for a few seconds I finally managed to read the message:

I hope you’re not looking back. Now head to the trees across the pond.

“Well that’s not creepy at all… This is some kind of reverse psychology for sure”, I said. I flew over the pond (luckily without going for a swim) and stopped by the trees Pinkie mentioned in her letter.

Now that I was in the middle of the trees, it got really hard to see where I was going, there was no more moonlight to help me look around. Luckily the third envelope was on one of the outer trees and wasn't too hard to find, even in the dark:

Look for a black suit deeper into these trees. Your fourth and last clue will be in one of the pockets.

"I really hope I don't have to wear that suit.", I muttered. I hated formal wear, mostly because the fabric is itchy on my skin. It might not be itchy on my new body, but it sure was during my high school prom night... It really put my self-control to the test that night...

I walked into the trees. It didn't help that as soon as I started to walk in the sky began to cover up with clouds, and soon the moonlight would be gone. A cold wind was kicking up and a sudden gust made me shiver a bit.

"Easy there, it's just the weather, there's nothing to be afraid of..." I said to myself trying to keep my wits about.

The black suit was nowhere to be found. Mostly because the sky was being covered by dark clouds, and the trees prevented even the tiniest sunlight from the lamp posts at the edge of the park from getting in. It felt like straight out of a horror movie.

"Man, this is not fun at all, where is this damned suit?" I scowled.

I bumped into a tree face first, and hear the sound of paper being crushed as I did it. I picked up the note and read it squinting as hard as I could. The moon was almost completely covered up at this time.

[NOT PART OF THE CLUE]
Remember how I told you not to look back? Well forget about that and look back now.
You walked past the suit, silly!

The note had a badly drawn stick pony at the bottom. Either Pinkie was bored or she meant something by this. I was betting on the latter.

Right then, the moon got completely covered and everything went pretty much pitch black.

I turned around and started walking back. But just when I did so, a bolt of lightning struck a few metres above me, hitting a a tree branch and breaking it. During the flash, I saw the figure of a tall, white, skinny and faceless pony wearing a black tuxedo right in front of me. And by in front of me I mean centimetres from my face.

"BUCK ME IN THE ASS OH GOD!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

My heart had skipped a beat, and my legs froze in place. I fell over and shoved my face into the grass, curled up in a ball, freaked out of my mind, waiting for the inevitable.

But nothing happened...

I slowly looked up, still shaking in fear, my mind racing wondering what would happen next. Luckily all I saw was the white pony standing still, which turned out to be a mannequin, and was being lit by the fire from the branch that got hit by lightning, the shadows projected onto the other trees moving frantically as the cold wind blew against the fire.

Legs still shaking, and now with a cold sweat dripping from my forehead, I took the small note from the suit's outer pocket. Now that I had a small fire lighting the area it made reading a lot easier:

If you still have a bit of sanity left in your little head, grab the suit and try it on! Then head to SugarCube corner.

PS: There's a flashlight in the inner pocket to help you get out of here without bumping your head into things, heehee!

"Well, too late for that now..." I said out loud, voice still shaky, but I was getting over it. "And how the heck will I put this on without the help of anypony?"

"That's why I'm here", whispered Rainbow Dash's raspy voice behind my ear.

It didn't matter who it was that talked, I felt my heart skip a beat again, my wings spread wide open, I looked up and screamed like a girl, shaking so much it was like I was in an earthquake.

[Author Note: If you want an idea of how his scream sounded, here it is. (Slenderman video but the scene is not THAT scary)]

"I never knew stallions could hit notes that high!" she said before bursting into tears of laughter

I recomposed myself and turned to see Rainbow Dash rolling on the floor laughing. "Well it wasn't you who got two mini heart attacks in less than a minute" I said to her.

She got up and wiped her tears off and trying to keep it that way. "Will you chill out? It's just me! I'm supposed to be helping you in this part of Pinkie's Clues thing she got going on here."

"Wait, does that mean that the mannequin and the lightning was her idea??"

"Sort of... only the mannequin part. But she didn't mean for this to be THAT scary. You were supposed to bump into the mannequin. The lightning was just coincidence, remember how Thundercloud said about the storm for tonight?", she said.

"Oh, that makes a lot more sense now... except that I was where the mannequin was standing before I found the note. Can't explain that, can you?"

She kicked some dirt around and was trying to hide a smile. "Yeah.... that was me who put it there. Don't be mad at me okay? This was Pinkie's idea not mine..."

"Nah, I can't be mad at you. My friend Gary always pulled pranks on me like this, not as scary as this, but I never got mad at him." I told her. Then I remembered how I used to pay Gary back with a smack on the head or a prank of my own. "Though I always have some kind of payback later on."

"So you're telling me I should expect a payback for doing this?" She raised a brow. "That kinda defeats the whole purpose of the payback for your scare..."

"Oh I'm not going for payback on you, Dash" I smirked, "It's for Pinkie Pie"

Dash's face lit up and she had that look of a kid who was going to do something naughty. "What do you have in mind?"

"First you're going to help me get this suit on, then we'll finish Pinkie's Clues game and find the party. And we're gonna need the help of somepony else for this, preferably a pegasus..."

"Got it." She said, and she helped me get the suit out of the mannequin and put it on me.


"This suit is a bit tight... is it supposed to be like this?" I asked, feeling a bit uncomfortable wearing it.

"Well, Pinkie Pie asked Rarity to measure me when making the suit, so yeah. You're a bit bigger than I am... But you still look pretty handsome"

"Heh, thanks" I blushed, "But I'm not even a centimetre taller than you, this doesn't make sense to me."

"When it comes to clothing, nothing makes sense..." she said with a sigh, "It's getting late, so what's the plan for paying Pinkie back so we can get head to the party?"

"Okay, here's the deal: go to the party, and find a pegasus to help out with something, but don't be too specific. Just ask them to meet me outside SugarCube Corner. When you see me coming to the party. Get Pinkie Pie to stay near a window, got it?"

"Consider it done!", she said in a military tone. "Just let me get this small fire out before it gets out of control." She flew away towards the sky and brought back a piece of the clouds above, she jumped on top of it for a bit and the cloud let out some rain on the burning branch. "And you might want to hurry up, Thundercloud should be starting the rain any minute now."

"Oh snap, you're right! See ya in a few minutes!" Rainbow Dash flew out of the trees and went to do her part of the payback. I pulled out the flashlight from the inner pocket, which was crushing my chest since the suit was rather tight, turned it on, held it on my mouth and got the hell outta dodge. Since I had a flashlight now I could fly without crashing into something. It took less than a minute to get to the market and then to SugarCube Corner.