• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,511 Views, 199 Comments

Replay - Scootaloose



A musician has to start a life from scratch as a pony, but not everything can go the way you expect.

  • ...
16
 199
 3,511

"Electro Choc"

Replay

"Electro Choc"

My name is Johnathan Crown. I am commonly known as Johnny Bass, one of the best electronic producers in the world. I was starting my first world tour of the year.

It was early morning, and I woke up with my phone ringing. I looked over at my clock that sat neatly by my bed, and it read eight o’clock. Who could possibly be calling me at this time in the morning was out of the question. I hated early wake-ups.

"Hello? This is Johnny speaking, who is this?" I asked the person on the other side of the line.

"Yo! Johnny! Ready for your tour? I'm heading to your place to take you to the airport!" Replied Gary’s voice, my manager.

"Look, Gary. I know you're pumped up about the tour. I am excited too, but could you at least have the decency of giving me some time to wake up?" I replied in a slightly annoyed tone.

Gary Winter, my old-time friend since middle school, has always been the early bird. It was surprising he managed to get up so early in the morning, even as a kid. This habit seemed to have stuck with him forever. Interesting at times, but I'm not quite like him. I am more of a night owl. Staying up late, waking up late, which fits perfectly with my "party hard" lifestyle.

"Oh snap! My bad, I didn't even look at the clock this time..." He replied awkwardly, "I'll try to find some traffic on the way so you can get some food and drink, alright?"

"Sure thing, bro. Just don't get caught in the highway and miss your exit!" I joked.

"I'll try.. see ya in two hours then?"

"Two hours it is."

"Alright, now go have a breakfast of champions!"


So there I was, waiting for Gary to pick me up. After that, it was off to the airport and all the way to Toronto, Canada for my first show of the year. Everything was peaceful, and I had plenty of time until Gary arrived. I decided to take a quick nap on the sidewalk bench next to my apartment door to make up for lost sleep time.

I was in an open field, grass as far as the eye could see. It was pouring like there was no tomorrow, and some occasional lightning. To the East, I could see a small town, and a huge forest that spanned for miles next to it. One the other side of the village there is a huge field of trees. From the distance I was, there was no way to know what kind of tree it was, but it was big. Not as big as the forest on the other side, but... big. Behind me I could see a railway, which looked kept under well maintenance; it looked brand new. A bit beyond that, there was a small hill, where a lonely oak tree sat there. It looked like the perfect spot for viewing a sunset... If the skies were clear, obviously...

I heard a voice, yelling "Hey!" from above. I looked up to the clouds, and I saw a small creature, poking its head from the clouds. I was about to yell back, but it went back inside the clouds.
Now I was curious. What was that thing doing there? What was it anyway? I just stood there, wondering whether it would come back or not.
A few seconds passed and I was soaking wet, but I didn't care. Finally the creature came back, and this time it left the clouds and started to fly towards me at an extremely high speed from the looks of it, and I just standing there in awe, not caring if was going to crash onto me or not.
As it got closer, I could make out what it was: It had the body of a small horse...but with wings.

Now I REALLY got curious... As it got closer and closer I could see that it had a rainbow-coloured mane and a cyan-coloured body. When it was really close, about 50 metres from me, I started to hear a... car engine?

When it was right in front of me it prepared its wings to land. The creature looked majestical, like nothing I've seen in my life. When it touched the ground in a soft land... I didn’t expect the loud tire screech noise and the loud horn sound it made when it opened its mouth.

At that moment, I wasn't sure if I should’ve run into the car and scowl at Gary, or jump out of the bench and scream like a girl. I chose somewhere between the two...

"Wh-wh-what in the world is wrong with you!?" I screamed at Gary, who was laughing hysterically as he rolled down the window.

"You should have seen the face you made when you jumped! You had the same face back when you watched Paranormal Activity! This is gold, I should've recorded this!" he said, tearing up from laughing so hard. I got up from the ground, put away my stuff in the car trunk, sat on the passenger seat and smacked Gary on the head.

"Ow! Come on! it wasn't so bad! If I really wanted to scare you I'd be a lot better than just a honk", Gary replied while rubbing the back of his head, which was visibly red behind his short hair due to my smack.

"I'll just hope that day will never come..." I muttered.


"Ok, your deck is hooked up, John!", shouted Gary who was helping the technicians with the wiring backstage. I was in the front of the stage fiddling around with my equipment. "Play us something heavy!"

I plugged my laptop to the mixer, and picked a random song from my playlists. I was about to hit the play button when I heard something coming from one of the speakers at the far side of the stage.

"Just a sec, Gary. The left speakers are acting funny." I called out.

There was no answer. I guess he went for a drink or something... So I approached the back of the speakers and saw a ripped wire. I saw a strong spark accompanied by a loud snap when I nudged it with my foot and the two ends touched. I slowly backed away from the wire and went backstage.

"Is this your idea of a prank, Gary? You have to try harder than this!", I chuckled. Gary was walking back from his break.

"What prank?", he replied.

"Oh you know, the dangerously placed exposed wire sitting near the speakers and stuff..."

"...exposed wire?" He asked curiously.

As soon as he said that, I felt a weird feeling in my gut. Something was wrong... "Just teasing ya, just go back to your business." I said, faking a grin on my face.

"Oook...” He said suspiciously, “What about the tunes I asked a few moments ago?", he asked.

"Oh, yeah. turns out my laptop battery died and I had to recharge it. It should be done booting up and I'll get to it." I lied.

I walked to the toolbox next to me to pick some isolating tape for that suspicious wire, and quietly ripped some of it. I walk back to the wire to fix it for good. Gary was already busy with other stuff and I didn't feel like bothering him. Sure I got to tweak the sounds at the booth, but that doesn't take long to set up. I figured that whatever was wrong with the speakers, it was something I could fix myself - It wasn’t rocket science.

I grabbed the end coming from the speakers. I was about to reach for the other part of the wire and pull it a bit to give it some breathing space, but when a technician backstage accidentally tripped on the same wire I was reaching for, my hand went right onto the exposed part. And boy what a shocking surprise that was...

The current exploded through my body and I stumbled backwards and fell to the ground. I found myself unable move, and I felt the wire coming into in contact with my ankle, making me flop around like a fish out of water. My vision was getting so blurry I couldn't see anything at all, and all I could hear was a loud buzz and ringing in my ears. In a matter of seconds I was out cold...


I woke up, but something felt odd - I felt like I was floating. Not floating like in water, but in mid air. I somehow looked below me and I saw a person lying on the floor motionless, surrounded by some people who looked like paramedics by the look on their clothing. But something else was bothering me...

The hell am I doing up here? I thought. A few seconds something clicked in my mind and I recognized the face of the person that was lying on the ground. Wait... the fuck am I doing down there??

Confused and now panicked out of my mind, I wanted to scream but nothing came out. I wasn't a person anymore;I was something people would call a ghost, or soul. I was dead.

Suddenly I felt something pulling me upwards. There was no string or anything, just a supernatural force dragging me away from the scene, through the stage ceiling and to the sky. It was raining out, followed by heavy lightning. I enjoyed watching the lights from my apartment window, but now I was right in the middle of it - It slightly amused me, even though I was scared to death... literally.

Then out of nowhere, a lightning bolt went through me. Everything went white and I blacked out for a second time.