• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,510 Views, 199 Comments

Replay - Scootaloose



A musician has to start a life from scratch as a pony, but not everything can go the way you expect.

  • ...
16
 199
 3,510

Surprise!

Surprise!

"Well?" Amy asked after a few seconds of silence, "The doors are kinda tight for a horse to walk through..."

"Because ponies, Amy", I cut her short, "Ponies can fit through these doors."

"Alright... ponies it is then..." she trailed off, "but they don't smell like ponies to me, they smell too good to be one." Oh boy...

"What do you mean by that?" Daring asked.

I used my hearing as best as I could and approached her, "Hey uh... try not to make her find out we are talking ponies and all that." I whispered, "At least not now."

"You know she's going to find out soon, right?" She whispered back. "Don't look at me when I laugh my head off when it happens..." She went back to talking normally, "So what is this about a pony's smell?"

"You know... These ponies you got here smell like they've been in a forest, and smell like fresh air. Instead of smelling like shi-" Amy replied, but I cut her off before she could finish the sentence.

"Hey uh... Daring, how's the door going? Can you open it?" I heard Amy sigh in frustration, but apparently she shrugged it off since she didn't keep pressing on with the questions.

"It needs power to open, and we're out of that for now." Daring replied. "Isn't there an emergency switch for that kind of stuff?"

"I think there's an emergency lever for the door so you can slide it manually", Amy replied. "There should be a hatch on the wall next to it."

"Time to work that photographic memory, Daring." I said again.

"I can only remember things I've seen..." Daring Do replied. "I didn't see a hatch on the wall so I'll have to find it in the dark." And with that she started tapping the wall looking for said hatch, making audible clopping noises being heard as she did.

"Daring, I think your pony is getting nervous..." Amy said after a few seconds.

"Say what now?", Daring and I asked. Daring was still tapping the wall. What is she on about?

"Your pony is tapping the floor, it means it's nervous." Amy continued. "Just saying you should hurry because it probably doesn't like the dark..."

"I'm not afraid of the dark..." Daring Do replied, she sounded a bit confused.

"Not you, Daring..." Amy sighed, "your pony!"

I facehoofed silently and stayed like that for a second or two, sighing as I did. "It'll be fine, Amy... Daring is probably close to finding that hatch."

"Yup. Found it." Daring Do interrupted me. "I feel a lever - do I just push it down?" she asked. Amy hummed in response. I heard a click and a sliding noise, followed by the slightly cold air from the previous room. "Done, now the next doors will be faster to open." Daring continued. "Will you be okay with this cold room, Amy? We won't take long to get through it."

"Yeah..." Amy replied while shivering, "I'll be fine. This warm robe will do fine for now."

I heard Daring walk back to us, followed by the rolling wheels from the wheelchair. Daring Do was probably pushing the wheelchair, seeing as me and Amy were blind in the dark. I followed closely to Daring Do's side so I wouldn't get lost. The cue for stopping was when I bumped into Amy's wheelchair when they stopped, in which Amy let out a soft yelp. Daring Do proceeded to open the door once again.

“So Amy...” Daring Do spoke, “Why were you here in the first place?”

“You mean why I was frozen in here?” she asked.

“No... why is the sky blue...” Daring deadpanned.

“Sorry, still a bit woozy from waking up...” she replied quietly

“That’s not even the proper question.” I began, “Why are you frozen among a bunch of dead people?”

“Because I have terminal cancer.” And with that silence broke the room when Daring stopped pushing the wheelchair - well not until I bumped into it a second time. “...but don’t worry too much about it for now. It’s still in very early stage and won’t be a problem for a while. Let’s focus on getting out of here first.”

“Kinda makes sense... seeing as all the other subjects in here had some type of disease,” Daring Do said, “But why are you the only one alive out of all of them?”

“It was more of a choice of mine and my family.” Amy replied, “We recently found out about a tumor in my brain - it’s still in its early stages, but we all knew it would eventually come back even if we removed it. I didn’t want to go through the surgery process every time the tumor came back. Not to mention the huge risk of permanent brain damage if the surgery went wrong; I couldn’t bear to live like that.” she said sadly.

“Must’ve been hard on your family, wasn’t it?” I said, feeling a bit down just with that kind of talk.

“My brother took it the hardest.” Amy continued, “it wasn’t even a year since his best friend died in an accident, and seeing his little sister suffer and probably leave his life later would leave him even more distraught.”

“So what made you choose to be frozen?” Daring Do asked, she went back to pushing the wheelchair and we reached the next room.

“It was this new project some scientists came up with - freeze people with terminal diseases so that in the future years - when science has progressed more - they could use them as a ways to find a cure.” she replied, “My brother said that he’d rather see his sister live a full life than lose it at such young age. And that he’d do whatever he could to give that to me...” she chuckled softly and I heard her sniff a bit.

“That’s... a great brother you had...” Daring Do commented, and by the tone of her voice I could tell she was getting a bit emotional. Hell I felt like crying at that point, about to throw my feelings out all at once.

“We’ll make sure you get treated as soon as we get back,” I said to Amy trying to keep myself together, “I saw this piece of equipment that was pretty awesome. I doubt they don’t have a way of helping you.”

“Thanks...” she replied. A smile grew on my face and we fell back in silence.

We repeated the same process quietly (not bumping into wheelchair anymore) through the server room and through the decontamination room, and through the corridor, until Daring Do spoke up.

"We should be at the elevator." She said. "We need to find a way to go up the shaft since we're out of power. I'm thinking we use my rope to lift Amy up, but this time I need light for this so I'm lighting up a flare." Oh great, that's my cue...

"Wait..." Amy spoke, “Why didn't you use a flare before?“

"Flares are used for extreme measures, Amy", Daring replied, "I can't really tell where I'm going when flying to reach the elevator hatch. My photographic memory is kinda useless at this point..." Damnit Daring why did you say that??

"Fly!?" Amy said, startled. "Who are you guys!?"

"Did I say I could fly?" Daring said giggling, "Oops. I guess that's your cue, Johnny."

I sighed, "I guess it is...", I turned towards where Amy's voice was coming from. "Look, promise me that ,whatever you do, you won't scream in the next few seconds..."

"Oh, that makes me feel SO much more comfortable..." she deadpanned.

"Please, just promise me?" I pleaded.

"Fine, I swear I won't scream..."

Okay, if I am going to end up scaring her I have to make this go out with a bang... I thought. We spent a few seconds in silence. Until Daring Do spoke up. "Done yet?"

"Just one more thing, Daring." I said, and looked back towards Amy.

"Pinkie promise?"

"Oh, please..." Daring Do sighed.

"Pinkie what now?", Amy asked.

"Will you Pinkie promise you won't scream?"

"What the hell are you talking about!?" she said, probably looking confused as hell at that point - I tried hard not to laugh.

"Just say these words: Cross my heart. Hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye.", I continued.

"And what will that do?" she asked, still sounding confused. "I already swore I won't scream..."

"Just do it."

"Fine." she sighed. "Cross my heart. Hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye... Better?"

"Very much", I said, trying not to giggle. "Okay Daring, light it up."

"Here goes!" Daring Do said. We heard a short flapping noise followed by a scratch coming from where Daring was - which was somewhere near the ceiling from where the noise came from - and suddenly the elevator was filled with a bright red light. I squinted my eyes for a moment and when my vision cleared up I saw that Daring had dropped the flare on the ground and was examining the hatch on the ceiling in the corner. I looked over to Amy and she was staring straight at Daring, eyes and jaw wide open.

"Wh-wh-what is this!?" She said panicking but not exactly screaming, "What the hell is going on!?"

"Huh, not the kind of reaction I was guessing..." Daring Do said, "kinda disappointing, really."

"Not funny, Daring..." I scowled, and turned to Amy, "I'm glad you're not screaming... Look, we're gonna answer all of your questions as soon as we get out of this place, okay?" I said to her calmly. She nodded nervously and went back to watching Daring, who already had the hatch open and was now pulling out some rope from her saddlebag and doing some kind of knot, making it look like some kind of improvised swing rope seat.

"Now we just have to get Amy on this and we can fly out." Daring Do said.

"I g-guess I have to get out of this chair now", Amy said shakily. "It's getting a bit uncomfortable now..."

"So what was the chair for?" I asked.

"Well... I did wake up from being frozen not too long ago, my balance was a bit fuzzy at the time..." she replied. "I think I'm fine now". She got on her legs and stumbled a bit and almost fell over, so I rushed to her in case she fell. "Forget being fine... I'm really hungry."

"No doubt about that..." I said. "Let's get you on that rope and we'll be out of here." Being careful not to burn myself, I grabbed the flare with my mouth and helped Amy walk to the rope hanging from outside the hatch where Daring Do was hovering - who now that we noticed she was wearing slippers. Amy sat on the improvised seat and motioned a hand to Daring to fly up. I followed up alongside Amy just in case she lost her balance all of a sudden. When we reached the top, the elevator door was closed and seeing as Daring Do was busy holding on the the rope with her teeth I forced the door open with my front legs. Much to my surprise the door was easily opened - not sure if it was supposed to be easy or if Carbon Streak had done some workouts recently, but it felt good. Daring Do pulled Amy out of the elevator shaft and we all sat on the grass, bathing in the midday sun for a few seconds. It felt good to be back in the sunlight.

I spat the flare out of my mouth and onto a patch of dirt. "Well... now we got time to play 20 questions." I spoke up, "Who wants to go first?"

“Obviously me...” Amy said first, we nodded and let her drop the questions on us, since she probably had a whole set of them at the moment. “To start off: WINGS!?” she pointed at Daring Do’s wings and mine.

“Problem?” Daring Do said smirking. “Pretty cool, huh?”

“I thought you were going to ask how winged horses came to be...” I said to Amy.

“Screw that!” She yelled, “this is awesome!” A big smile on her face popped up. Well at least she cheered up after that conversation down there... “I was creeped out at first but now that I think of it this is amazing!”

“Ok, next question.” Daring Do said.

“I think I know what the next one will be...” I commented.

“I bet you do...” Amy said to me, “So I might as well say it now: How the heck are you guys talking? Hell, forget that! You guys don’t even look like ponies!”

“Come again?” Daring Do tilted her head.

“Well...” Amy continued, “the ponies I know have longer noses and thinner legs. Your legs are much thicker and your faces are shorter. You’re also a lot slimmer... And not to mention the giant eyes, and yours is freaking pink!” she pointed straight at Daring. “And your hair...” she turned to me, “It’s black and green!”

“It’s dyed!” I protested, “Also my mane is not even close to the ones I’ve seen on other ponies.”

“Wait...” she interrupted me, her eyes wide open in awe, “There are more of you???”

We haven’t even told you about unicorns yet...

“Alright, screw it..” I threw a hoof up in the air and looked nowhere in particular, “You can scream now...”

“Later, because my throat is still weak...” she coughed and continued, “So where are the rest of you?”

“Closest city is three hours away from here, and that was while flying.” Daring responded. “If we’re gonna get you back in the same amount of time we’re gonna need some help. And I got just the thing...” She smirked and pulled a red object that looked like an arrow. Are those... fireworks??? Why the hell do you keep that around!?

“Why do you keep fireworks in your bag?” I asked Daring while staring at the fire hazard in front of me.

“It’s like a better version of flares.” she explained. “Come up here for a second.” she flew up and motioned for me to follow her. I flew up next to her and she pointed a hoof towards the faint contour of Canterlot Castle far to the South, and I heard Amy “whoooa” down below. “Royal guards patrol the castle grounds the whole time. When I light this baby up, at least one of them will see it and send a team for assistance. Even though I’m a decent flier, having someone like Amy riding me while in the air will be exhaustive. Royal Guards on the other hoof are heavily trained and can pull heavy carriages with ease, so Amy will feel like a feather to them.”

“Clever...” I said, “why not use a radio?”

“Batteries can die on you at the worst times, and I don’t take that kind of risk.”

“Good point...” I said. We flew back to the ground, where Amy was still staring at us. Daring pulled out a lighter from her bag and motioned me to come over again.

“Here, hold this on the ground for me so I can turn it on,” she said. I kneeled on the ground and held the lighter up with my hooves and opened the cap - seconds later, Daring stood in front of me. “Watch your hoof.” And without a single word of warning she quickly stomped near the lighter, barely missing one of my hooves and just clipping the trigger on the lighter, promptly lighting up a small flame. “Now hold that so I can light this thing up.”

“Next time do a countdown...” I mumbled.

“Don’t be a chicken...” she joked. Amy giggled a bit and I sighed loudly on purpose to let out a bit of my frustration.

“So I’m guessing Daring here is the leader out of the two of you?” Amy asked.

“You could say that.” I said, “How did you know?”

“Well...” she continued, “Daring’s voice sounds a lot tougher than yours, Johnny.” Ouch, man... just fucking ouch... Daring Do was approaching me with the small rocket in her teeth when she heard Amy and spat it out laughing.

“Ohohohoh that was a good one!” She said before going back to laughing hysterically.

“That hurt...” I said while trying to mentally soothe the pain from the blow that my masculinity just took.

“Sorry, it’s the hard truth...” Amy shrugged with a smug. Daring Do recomposed herself and picked up the rocket she dropped.

“Okay, enough time wasted here,” Daring said. “Let’s signal the guards and grab some food while we wait.” She approached the lighter and lit up the fuse. She placed the rocket on the bottom of a hoof and flew up. She then launched the rocket even higher and let it fall back to her. Suddenly she did a front flip in mid air and struck the rocket with her hind legs, launching the rocket even higher and towards Canterlot Castle. I watched the small light from the fuse suddenly burst into a huge explosion of red and blue a couple hundred metres away from us.

“And that’s how you call for backup with style.” She smirked while landing next to us. “If they saw the blast they’ll signal back with some fireworks of their own, so for now let’s just wait a few minutes to see if they saw it or not. Then we can start planning our way back properly.”

A few minutes passed, Amy and I were sitting on the ground near the elevator while Daring hovered above the trees looking out for the signal from the guards back in Canterlot.

“Okay... I see their signal. They should get here in about the same time as we spent getting heres” Daring said landing. “I’ll go get some berries from nearby.” She walked out of the clearing and into the Everfree Forest.

“Alright.”I said, turning to Amy “So Amy, tell me more about yourself. You said that your brother was really worried about you back in there.” I motioned my head towards the elevator shaft.

*There's a convo between me and my editor in the middle of the google document right here. I put it in the AN*

“Yeah...” she nodded. “The news about my tumor really hit him hard...”

“So about his friend...” I asked carefully, “Did you know him?”

“I never really met him...” she replied, “My brother said that he used to visit the house back when they were in middle school, but I was little so I don’t really remember. They were really close, almost like a brother to him.”

“Is it ok if I ask how he died?” I asked her, “If you know what happened, that is.”

“He got electrocuted while setting up the stage for his show.” She replied. Seems familiar to me... wait...

“What was your brother’s name?”

“Gary.” she replied. Holy fuck, what...

”And his friend’s name was?” I asked her. This cannot be happening... I thought. I was at the brink of screaming.

“Johnathan, though everyone just called him Johnny all the time...” she said chuckling, “Funny... same name as... yours?” Her eyes widened a bit, probably realizing what was going on. “Are you... him?” She gazed disbelievingly at me, and, mouth agape, she pointed at me - almost accusingly.

I nodded nervously, my eyes were almost as wide as hers at that point.

“How???” She yelped. “How are you still alive and why are you a pony with wings!?”

“I have no idea!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, I was pretty sure my voice would be hoarse after that scream.

Suddenly Daring Do flew up and out of the trees and came flying towards us. “What? What happened?”

“I believe me and Amy have met before, I just didn’t remember quite well.” I said with a shaky voice, “N-Now that I realized, your last name does ring a bell now... Winter...”

“Okay... that’s pretty weird, alright...” Daring said, laughing nervously herself. “Anyways, I brought some berries from the forest. Can you pick them out from my bag for me, Amy?” Amy got up and walked up to Daring - whom, now that we got a better view of our respective heights, was just about twice as tall as us ponies. It seemed that ponies of this time had the same height as the ones from our time.

She split the berries between us three and we ate them in silence.


A few hours passed. Daring Do was sitting on top of the concrete structure keeping watch for the guards that were to arrive soon. Amy and I were on the ground. I was sitting next to Amy looking around the clearing, bored out of my mind. Amy on the other hand was taking an afternoon nap on a patch of grass. Well, she was napping until Daring Do spoke up out of a sudden.

“Alright, I see two guards coming towards us!” she exclaimed while taking flight and landing next to us. Amy groaned and rubbed her eyes, but suddenly snapped them open and got up when she saw the two golden-armoured white pegasi landing before her. One was a male pegasus with a large muscular build just like Shining Armour’s - he had a deep blue mane and deep blue eyes while the other was a light blue-maned and green-eyed female pegasus with a slightly smaller build (but still looking fit and strong like his companion). The guards were just as surprised to see Amy as she was to see them, it was slightly amusing.

“What is it that you need, Miss Do?” the male guard spoke in a deep and raspy voice.

“Well as you can see, we need some help getting back to Canterlot.” Daring said while looking at Amy. “She obviously can’t fly and we would like to get back there before sundown.”

“Of course”, the female guard nodded and looked towards Amy, who had been staring at them the whole time. “Excuse me miss...”

“Amy,” she finished her sentence.

“Amy...” she said, “Would you mind riding on my back for the trip back to Canterlot?”

“Would I???” she cheered, much to our surprise. “Definitely not!” The pegasus nodded and approached her. Amy climbed onto her back and adjusted herself on the pegasus’ back.

“Just watch the leg so you don’t hit the wings while we fly.” the pegasus said.

“I guess we’re ready to go.” Daring Do said, before she was cut off by a sudden series of yelps coming from the elevator shaft.

“...What was that?” Amy asked worryingly.

“Looks like the Diamond Dogs found the tanks...” Daring Do sighed. “Too late for them now... Let’s go.” And with that, Daring, the two guards with Amy and I took off back to Canterlot.

Oh boy, do I want to see the look on everypony’s faces when they see Amy...

Author's Note:

*cue writer/editor chat*
THAT PINK CURSOR IS THROWING ME OFFdude what it doesnt show up for.me at all ok fine ill go fap myself o sleep
okay have fun
Thx brah, i hope you keep this part as story canon
i will
k night
night
*end chat*
kthxbai