• Published 19th Dec 2016
  • 220 Views, 0 Comments

A Bounty to Fight - NightSugar pone



underground criminal fights, sounds fun, right?

  • ...
 0
 220

chapter 21

Soon after Windbreaker had come to bed he fell into a deep and peaceful sleep, and Star had unconsciously held onto him, making the sleep all the sweeter. They had stayed asleep for a few hours at a time, but they both woke up to a firm banging on the front door, and they both froze as they heard a guard yell from outside. Windbreaker looked to her and held a talon to his beak, telling her to stay quiet as he got up, which she decided to obey as she got up as well. While Windbreaker made his way downstairs she had begun to pack up her things and pulled on her cloak, she was ready to make her getaway if it would come that, she knew that fighting would only lead to her being caught a second time. So when she heard the front door open she stayed alert and listened in on the conversation going on downstairs.

“Good evening sir, I’m sorry for waking you but I was sent here to ask you some questions, is it alright if I come in?”
Windbreaker silently nodded, and he stepped aside as the guard came in, being flanked by two others, equally suspicious as they looked about the entryway.

“Would it be alright if my associates can search your home? it should only take a second and we’re pretty sure you have nothing to hide,”
Once again, Windbreaker silently agreed to let them do their thing, and one guard moved to check the kitchen, while the other went upstairs. Star tightened her saddlebags to her torso before she slid under the bed quietly, wrapping herself up in her dark cloak and making herself blend in with the darkness around her. She listened intently as the sound of talons pacing down the hall soon checked the bathroom and the storage closet, and now they were headed in her direction. She had stayed as still as she could be as the guard went to check the closet in front of her, and as the guard had walked out to check under the bed she readied herself to knock him out. And just as the guard had looked under the bed at her she shot magic at his face, and as the spell took its effect on him he began to lean forward, forcing her to catch him in her magic. The guard was softly snoring as he was pulled under the bed and out of sight, giving her the chance to enchant his eyes so he couldn't see her before setting him down on the floor beside the bed. When the guard had woken up he looked around curiously and seemed to be dazed as he walked out of the room and headed downstairs and back to the living room. Things seemed okay for the time being, but then she heard the main guard walking upstairs with Windbreaker. He began to do the same clean sweep as the guard she had enchanted.

maybe he was too out of it, or maybe it took him too long to leave, either way, I’m getting very close to losing my cover, it's now or never for me.
She thought as she pulled two daggers out of her cloak and turned to face the window beside the bed, waiting for the gryphon guard to come in front of her. The moment the guard turned his back she jumped out and stabbed both of the daggers into his shoulder blades, and rolled with him under her until he was pushed through the window and to the ground below. When he hit the ground she pulled her daggers out and put them back in her cloak, and looked up just in time to see Windbreaker looking down at her, his face a mess of fear and worry. And as the guard groaned behind her she took one last glance up at him before bolting, and as she disappeared into the night, her tears painted her face and gave way to her despair.

I’m so sorry Windbreaker, I promise that I will never forget what you've done for me.