• Published 3rd Dec 2016
  • 615 Views, 15 Comments

Strangers in Everglow - BookyBrony



Three Unicorns are pulled from the relatively safe land of Equestria and thrown into a world of Swords, Sorcery and Adventure. The land of Everglow is full of danger and intrigue. Will Sunset Shimmer, Moondancer and Trixie find a way back home?

  • ...
3
 15
 615

Three Guests, Invited or Otherwise

In a special room in Ponyville Castle, where Twilight Sparkle kept the mirror to Canterlot High, the Princess of Friendship herself, and her number one dragon assistant, were busy cleaning up, setting down plush cushions for sitting upon around a table. Twilight was expecting company from two friends; one was from her foalhood, whom she had recently reconnected with. The other, she had once been enemies with not too long ago.

Sunset Shimmer had asked if she could visit Twilight during her summer vacation from school, and the Princess was quick to give her approval. It had been a while since the two of them were together and she was eager to provide her with a comfortable stay.

As fortune would have it, Moondancer was also taking a break from her own studies and wished to visit Ponyville herself.

Twilight could hardly let the opportunity pass. After discussing it with both of them, one through mail and the other through the two way magical book, they decided on a day to get together and chat.

As giddy as a filly for her first slumber party, the young Alicorn skipped joyfully around her castle, working along with Spike to tidy up in anticipation for the arrival of her friends.

“This will be great, Spike,” she said as she set down a plate of sandwiches. “It’ll be good for both of them to meet somepony who is still learning the ropes about friendship.”

The dragon she was speaking to nodded as he dusted and straightened some things up. “Not to mention you can leave me alone too, while the three of you have your girl talks,” he teased as he hopped down from the stool he was using.

This made his surrogate sister pout at him. “I don’t work you that hard, do I?” she asked.

Spike shook his head. “Of course not, but I’d still like some time to myself,” he said, straightening up a bust of Celestia. “But seriously, you got everything you need for them?”

She nodded. “For now at least, I should be able to handle things on my own from here,” she said, turning to him and pulling him into a tender hug, “Thanks for your help, Spike.” She nuzzled him affectionately.

He hugged her back. “Hey, it wasn’t that big of a deal, just tell them both that I said ‘hi,’” he told her before they separated from their embrace.

After a few more touch ups, Spike walked out of the room and soon after left the castle, likely to see if Rarity needed his help.

Twilight sighed as she sat down upon a cushion with a book to help pass the time while she waited for the first of her guests to arrive. Sunset would be coming later on, while Moondancer was going to be on the next train in from Canterlot. That wasn’t for another two hours, so a quick read of a story she read over a hundred times before going to meet her at the station wouldn’t be out of the question.


The train glided along the tracks leading away from a city supporting mountain and towards a small village. Several occupants took up the seats: travelers, business ponies, or just some ponies who wanted to get away from the bustle of the city for a little while. One pony, at least, was off to see an old friend.

Moondancer sat curled up in her seat as she read a light novel, though she was more trying to suppress her nerves about visiting Twilight than trying to get enjoyment from the story. Their reunion had a bit of a rocky start, and while she could admit she was still a little bitter towards Twilight for snubbing her party, she had forgiven her. Plus she was also interested in meeting another friend of hers, one who Twilight had said was an older student of Celestia’s even.

While she was more interested in making friends now, Moondancer’s greatest interest in the other mare was in what she might be able to learn from her.

She took an aloof glance at her saddlebags she had set down beside herself. They were filled with books and tomes she wished to share with Twilight, but also blank notebooks that she hoped she could fill with whatever the other mare could teach her, especially since she was told she lived in another world from theirs.

“Ponyville Station, ten minutes,” came the voice of the conductor.

Moondancer began to put her book away and set herself up as the train pulled closer to its destination.


In the early afternoon, in the shadow of Canterlot High, stood a young human girl with fiery hair. Sunset Shimmer adjusted the bag on her back which held a few personal items: a toothbrush, the book she and Twilight communicated through, the Alicorn wanted her to bring it for a little bit of study, and a set of pajamas that she was somewhat uncertain about taking.

She and Twilight hadn’t exactly experimented with the portal to see how things would change between worlds; it was unlikely they would be of any use, but she was in the habit of packing them, having spent so many night’s at one of the girl’s for a sleepover.

She wondered how Equestria had changed since she had first left. Maybe in her spare time she could look into it.

But it wouldn’t matter in a moment. She would be sitting with Twilight and one of her friends, catching up on things, and just having a nice time in general. She adjusted the backpack on her and stepped through the portal.


On the outskirts of Ponyville, a figure in a tall hat and a cape was looking at the castle which dominated the village’s skyline.

The Great and Powerful Trixie, as she was known far and wide in Equestria, stared at the castle and took a deep breath, finding and fixing her resolve to confront who she viewed as her great rival. Though even her ego was dwarfed by the castle, she took her first few steps towards it.


Twilight smiled as the train rolled into the station and her eyes darted about as she looked for her friend in the crowd.

Eventually, she spotted a cream colored mare with a multicolored mane and thick glasses. “Moondancer!” she called, getting her attention.

Turning to see her former schoolmate, now the newest princess of Equestria, Moondancer smiled brightly. They met one another halfway across the platform and shared a hug. “Twilight! How have you been?” she asked.

“Oh you know, reading, magic, saving Equestria, all of that,” she giggled.

“Nothing out of the ordinary for you, huh?” Moondancer teased. “Let's go, I'm actually looking forward to seeing this castle of yours, and meeting your friend who lives in that other world.”

Twilight nodded and they went on their way. “Sunset Shimmer should be there shortly after we get there,” she explained. “This'll be so much fun.”

“Hopefully it'll go over better than my first slumber party.”

At that Moondancer giggled with her. “You mentioned that before but you never told me the details,” she pressed.

Twilight blushed bashfully, “Well, you see….”

Their walk to the castle was full of small talk, until they reached it and Moondancer looked up at it in awe. “Wow, it's so big, and you live here?”

“Just me and Spike. It's really empty and lonely at times, but it's starting to become home. My friends in Ponyville have seen to that,” Twilight explained as her magic opened the large front door.

All along the way to the room that Twilight had prepared for the get together, Moondancer was gawking at nearly everything in the hallways. She had never been in a castle before, the closest being the dancing hall for the Grand Galloping Gala, and that was only the one time.

They reached the sitting room and Twilight went over to the mirror, the book that she used to communicate with Sunset was nearby. She picked it up and opened it to see if Sunset was on her way, and smiled, seeing an entry not five minutes old, saying she would be there in just as long.

“She’ll be here any minute now,” Twilight said, setting the book aside.

Moondancer was about to ask how she knew when suddenly the mirror started to glow and soon a yellow unicorn mare with a fiery red and yellow mane stepped out of it on her hind legs, before awkwardly setting down on all fours, “Ugh, I don't think I'll ever be used to that,” she muttered.

“Sunset!” The princess called as she approached and put a hoof around the new mare in a familiar hug. “Welcome back to Equestria,” she said happily.

The mare named Sunset laughed. “Good to be back Twilight,” she said, returning the hug, before setting the backpack that transported with her down where the sitting cushions were.

“Oh, this is Moondancer,” Twilight said, breaking the embrace and pointing out the third mare in the room. “She and I went to school together when we were fillies.”

Moondancer gave a polite bow. “It's a pleasure. Twilight told me a little about you, you used to be Celestia’s student as well?”

Sunset smiled a little forcefully. “Heh, yeah, used to be,” she muttered.

Moondancer recognized her mistake only the second after she spoke. “Oh, I'm sorry, I hadn't realized it was still a sensitive subject.”

The former student of Princess Celestia just shook her head. “No, it's alright, I should move on,” she said, though her tone suggested that such a commitment would be rough for her. “Really it's good to meet you too,” She offered her hoof.

The younger mare smiled and bumped it with her own.

Twilight smiled, admitting to herself that it was an awkward start, but was happy that it was working out.

They were about to continue on talking when there was a loud knock.

The two guests seemed confused but Twilight just smiled with unabashed pride at the clever spell arrangement she had made. “It's just somepony at the door. I put an enchantment on it so I could hear it no matter where I am in the castle.”

She moved towards the door to leave. “I'll be right back,” she said.

“I'll come with you,” said Sunset. “You can show me this castle of yours along the way.”

Moondancer chimed in as well. “I'll go too, better than just sitting here alone,” she joked.

They came to the front gate soon enough. Sunset had commented on the varied décor along the way, which Twilight had attributed to her friends.

There was one more knock before the princess opened the large gate to reveal a light blue pony in a magician's outfit.

“Trixie?” Twilight said, recognizing the mare. “What are you doing he-”

The traveling magician interrupted her. “Twilight Sparkle, I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, demand your attention,” she declared.

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Well, okay, you're here and you have my attention,” she said.

The Great and Powerful Trixie stumbled over her next words, flustered that her entrance was not being taken seriously. “You're cheating,” she declared. “We're supposed to be rivals, you aren't allowed to just outpace Trixie and become an Alicorn,” she huffed, pointing an accusatory hoof at the other mare.

Twilight only regarded her with puzzlement, before Moondancer spoke up. “Um, who is she?” she asked Twilight.

“She’s Trixie, she and I ha-”

Twilight was cut off once again by the boisterous magician. “I am The Great and Powerful Trixie, and Twilight Sparkle is Trixie's rival,” she declared.

“I doubt that,” Sunset deadpanned. “If you're anything like the Trixie I know, you're all talk.”

“You do not know Trixie!” the magician shot back. “Trixie has never seen you before, and if you had seen one of Trixie's shows you would know that her powers are great.”

Sunset only rolled her eyes as Twilight laughed nervously and got between the two of them. “Alright everypony, there is no need to fight. Trixie, this is Sunset Shimmer, I met her in another world, it's a long story but there is another Trixie there,” she explained.

Trixie stared blankly at the princess and then to Sunset, and then back to Twilight. “I would accuse you of making it up, but you are an Alicorn and you suddenly have a castle. I cannot say for certain what you’ve been through.”

Twilight blushed and giggled lightly. “I was going to sit down with Moondancer and Sunset for some tea, would you like to join us?” she asked.

Sunset looked at Twilight, raising an eyebrow. “Are you serious?” she whispered, though not exactly being subtle. “She sounds just like the one in my world.”

Twilight just smiled back at her. “It’ll be fine, Sunset, trust me.”

Moondancer just looked confused, but Trixie was more puzzled. “Well, I suppose I can grace you with my company for a short while, Twilight Sparkle. Trixie accepts your invitation.”

Moondancer gave a somewhat uncertain smile. “It's nice to meet you, Trixie. Twilight and I used to attend Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns together,” she said, offering her hoof.

Trixie looked at the offered hoof, and slowly raised her own to meet it. “Trixie is pleased to meet you, and are you as talented in magic as Twilight?” she asked suspiciously.

A nervous laugh came from the bespectacled pony. “Not nearly. I'm more familiar with magical theory and history, my practical skill is… lacking, but I still graduated with high marks because of my understanding of the material,” she explained. “Twilight may have been valedictorian, but graduating fourth in a class of eight hundred is plenty impressive I think,” she said with a small bit of pride.

Trixie smiled, a bit relieved if she were honest. Her ego was bruised enough just knowing how much Twilight outpaced her. She then looked to Sunset Shimmer.

The mare of red and yellow locked her gaze. “I feel weird introducing myself to you a second time, alternate universe or not,” she muttered.

“I am Sunset Shimmer; I was Princess Celestia's personal student before Twilight was.”

The magician’s eyes were wide at this, filled with disbelief. “You couldn’t be. If you were, Trixie would have most definitely have heard of you,” she rationalized. “You surely must be joking.”

“It's true,” Twilight interrupted. “Celestia told me herself when we ran into each other the first time,” she said the last part with a tone that suggested to Trixie that it was slightly embellished. “She told me when I got back that she had kept it a secret, not wanting to damage Sunset’s reputation.”

Sunset looked down, but felt a smile tug at the corner of her mouth. “That sounds like something she’d do,” she said quietly.

Trixie kept her mouth shut, and putting two and two together, it wasn't that hard to believe. If this mare was truly at home in another world, it wouldn't be that far fetched that she was a student of the ruler of Equestria herself at some point.

“Very well, Trixie believes you,” she said, though Sunset seemed to hardly be amused.

“Well,” Twilight started. “Now that introductions are out of the way, let's go sit and have some tea,” she suggested.

Despite the tensions between Trixie and Sunset, the three strangers followed their mutual friend back to the portal room. Twilight pulled in another sitting cushion for their unexpected company. Once they were all seated Twilight went to leave the room. “I'll go make the tea, I'll be right back.”

After she made her leave, the room was silent for a time. Trixie stared at Sunset who was doing her best to ignore her.

Moondancer just looked between the two, feeling more out of place and increasingly awkward. She gave a forced chuckle and looked to Sunset. “So you said the world you live in has another Trixie? Is there another me there too?”

Sunset looked to Moondancer and let her expression soften just a little. “Probably, though I never met you. You probably go to a different school, it's a very big world,” she explained.

“Trixie is certain she is quite popular there as well,” the magician said as she sat tall on her cushion, pushing out her chest.

The fiery maned mare rolled her eyes and shot Trixie a weary look. “Hardly, you are every bit as boastful there as you are here, but I'll bet just like her, your all flash and no substance.”

Trixie narrowed her eyes and clenched her teeth. “The Great and Powerful Trixie once bested Twilight in a magic duel and took over Ponyville, can you claim such a feat?”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “I nearly used the power of her crown to take over the world where I live,” she shot back.

Moondancer looked between them, shrinking a bit. “Why are you two friends with her again?”

The two bickering mares ignored their audience and glared at each other.

“Trixie is more than a match for some no name pony in exile,” said the show mare. “Even if she was a dropout student of Celestia.”

This comment only made Sunset's glare increase in its intensity. “I know enough of you to know you are nothing more than a braggart and haven't enough knowledge or talent to do more than the most basic of spells. You are a subpar entertainer in the other world and you are a subpar entertainer in this world.”

Her ability challenged and now her quality as a stage magician also insulted, Trixie stood up in a huff. “You dare insult my ability?” she asked, offended. “I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, have throngs of eager fans at all of her shows, eating out of her hoof as they eagerly await each spell with anticipation.”

Sunset only rolled her eyes. “Prove it, if you are indeed a great magician, prove that you are better than I know you are,” she challenged.

Trixie glowered and looked around, and finally her eyes settled on the mirror with all the arcane equipment attached to it, and she grinned brightly, before striking her pose. “Watch and be amazed as I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, performs the greatest of the greatest of feats before your very eyes!”

Moondancer was perhaps more enthusiastic than her fellow spectator and clapped her hooves together and smiled.

Sunset rolled her eyes but was otherwise silent as Trixie postured before them.

“Trixie shall use her powers to command this portal to open,” she declared, her horn already lighting up.

Sunset's eyes widened as she realized what the magician was attempting, and tried to move to stop her. “Wait! No!”

But it was too late, Trixie's spell released into the mirror and for but a moment all was silent. Then,to the mixed shock of all three mares, the mirror glowed and they began to feel themselves being pulled in.

Trixie, being the closest was drawn in first, lifted from her hooves.

Sunset tried to keep herself grounded and reached for Moondancer as the bespectacled pony was pulled in as well, screaming.

Feeling her resistance against the pull failing, she began being pulled in and was only able to grab her backpack before she was pulled in as well.

As soon as she vanished into the mirror it ceased to glow and the room was silent.

Author's Note:

Edited by DarkPhoenix

Glad to be getting this project out on its way.

I love Pathfinder and Ponyfinder is an interesting setting that got me into the game in the first place.

Some of the OCs that will be appearing in this story will be characters I've played, or that my friends have played. I may even occasionally leave a short story about what happened in games with those characters in the Author's Notes as we get to them

The first three chapters of this are done and ready to go out, this being the first one, and I'll probably post them once a day and then do them as I get them done, so, expect chapter 2 the day after this gets approved.

Hope I can introduce the world of Everglow to people who have never played Ponyfinder before, and I hope I can do the setting justice for those who are familiar with it.

Your Author,
Booky