• Published 22nd Nov 2016
  • 1,075 Views, 15 Comments

A Flaming Heritage - Night--Mist



Spike has no idea where he comes from. Twilight has tried her best to help, but she can only do so much. Now it's up to Spike to find himself.

  • ...
0
 15
 1,075

The Hatchling Leaves The Nest.... Sort of.

Twilight had been stacking the books in her castle with Spike and their friends. Celestia had sent her more books to read over, but, even her friends knew she liked to be organized. Twilight asked that Starlight not use her quick spells to finish the job quickly, for she wanted a slow pace, because it allowed her to think.

But not just her. Sometimes, Spike would think about things while keeping himself occupied. Today though, he felt sort of lonely. Not like he felt that no one was caring about him or wanted to spend time with him, but he was feeling a bit of an emptiness, as he slowly stacked books and sighed.

Twilight took notice to this and asked, "Spike? You okay?"

This had caught the attention of their friends, who had been wrapped up in their own conversations amongst each other. "I don't know Twilight. I kinda.... I kinda feel funny," Spike admitted.

"How so?" Twilight pondered as she stopped stacking books to listen to her number one assistant.

"Well, you remember when we went to the dragon lands. I mean, I know it was a might dangerous, but, ever since we left, there's a thought that's been gnawing at the back of my mind," Spike stated.

"What thought would that be, pray tell Spike?" Rarity insisted.

"Well, I don't know who my parents are. I mean Torch was the only elder dragon there. The others.... I think they were all around Garble's age, aside from Ember, er, Dragon Lord Ember," Spike pointed out.

"Yeah, I still wonder why you guys didn't bring me along. I could have taught those dragons a thing or two," Rainbow Dash groaned.

"Rainbow, I'm not sure you would have lasted a minute before zooming back towards Ponyville. Even I was terrified to be there," Twilight admitted.

"Ha. I'm not that cowardly. Though I'll admit, those Dagger Wings Are Nasty Dragons," Rainbow stated.

"Rainbow, we're getting off topic. Spike what was your point in the matter?" Twilight inquired.

"Oh, um, well, I mean, I know what my past has been like, from as far back as I can remember, but my heritage.... it's blank. I mean, you hatched me Twilight, and all I've known is pony life, which is great. But I have no idea who my dragon mother was, or my dragon father. I don't even know if I might have brothers or sisters. Though, I wouldn't want to find out Garble's my brother," Spike shuddered at the thought.

Twilight scratched her chin, then, a thought struck her. "Perhaps we can ask Princess Celestia for help. She might know where you were found as an egg and we can search for more answers from there," Twilight said.

"Wait, are you gonna go on an adventure? Because, if you're going, I'm going," Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight smiled, and looked at the rest of their friends. "Well, I do want to keep up on my magic and friendship studies, but I think perhaps getting dragons into the spirit of friendship might be beneficial for our kingdom. Count me in," Starlight agreed.

"Well, I simply cannot have you go alone without some of my camomod fashion. I simply must see this adventure through," Rarity dictated.

"Ooooooh. I want to see all the different dragons and teach them all sorts of things about parties," Pinkie Pie stated.

"Well, um, I, uh, I think I'll stay here. Dragons are r-r-really scary," Fluttershy stuttered.

"It's okay Fluttershy, you don't have to come. We know you're not fond of Dragons," Twilight assured her.

"Well, being a family mare myself, I certainly can't stand not letting Spike find out more about his family. Land Sakes I'll come too," Applejack offered.

"So, just like that. We're on another adventure?" Spike gestured.

"We didn't suggest this to sit back and do nothing Spike," Twilight assured him.

Spike smiled and hugged his pony sister affectionately, and Twilight returned the gesture. Soon Twilight sent a note to Celestia, ironically enough, via dragon breath, stating that they wished to seek an audience with her. Immediately a letter was sent back, stating that she would be there in a few moments, and, not fifteen seconds after Spike belched the letter, the Princesses of Day, and Night Appeared before them.

Twilight led them to the dining hall, and had tea set up for them. As they began their tea and crumpets, Celestia inquired, "What was it you wish to ask me about Twilight?"

"Well, it's actually Spike who needs a few questions answered," Twilight stated.

"Oh? Spike? What seems to be troubling you?" Celestia pondered.

"Well, princess, it's about... my heritage. I know that Twilight hatched me and all, but... I have no idea where I came from. Who my mother and father were. I'm wondering, where was I found, when I was still just an egg, your majesty?" Spike politely asked.

Celestia couldn't say she was shocked. She knew this question would surface sooner or later. "Well Spike, that is a very good question. The egg had been brought to my castle, after a team of my best archaeologists, including Daring Do herself, were exploring an abandoned dragon cave. At least, they thought it was abandoned. That's where they found you as an egg," Celestia said.

"Wow, wow, wow, wait, you knew Daring Do Princess?" Rainbow Dash inquired in a state of shock.

"Indeed, but, like always, my castle staff and I kept her name and other secrets about her under raps from the public eye," Celestia said.

"Huh, who'da thunk it?" Twilight gestured to Rainbow Dash.

"Now, the archaeologists were not sure if you were left there on your own, or if your mother was to come back at some time, but you were just one egg amongst many shells already hatched. They assumed the worse and took you from the cave, along with some other treasures that had been in the cave with you, and brought them back to the castle. I knew that dragon eggs could be hatched by magic if the mother hadn't been around to hatch them, so, I felt, this might give me an opportunity to use it for my school of gifted unicorns. And, well, you all know what that led to," Celestia chuckled.

Twilight and Spike shared a giggle. "Beyond what happened in the dragon cave, I have no information that can help you Spike. But if you feel you must know more, the cave would be my first suggestion. The cave actually sits near the top of the mountain overlooking the city of Canterlot, but it is on the other side, so you won't see the city below when you find it," Celestia said.

"Okay, well, thank you for your help Princess Celestia," Spike said.

"A pleasure to assist you, young dragon," Celestia replied.

"Well, if there is any way I can assist you in your voyage, don't feel hesitant to ask. While I do help ponies in the realm of dreams, I have to admit my time among the pony court has grown rather dull," Luna admitted.

Celestia chuckled, "You never did get over your sense of adventure, did you little sister. But I can't say I blame you. I'm sure the nobles won't mind too much, and if they do, they have me to answer to. I won't have them go turning you dark on me again."

"I don't know, it is a little fun to see the terror on their faces when I threaten to gobble their backsides," Luna joked.

"Now Lulu. You know it's not Nightmare Night yet. No gobbling ponies til then," Celestia joined in.

"Awww, but Tia," Luna mock pouted.

"No buts," Celestia dictated mockingly.

The two tried their best to hold back, but once the whole group was bursting into laughter, the two sisters joined in. After everypony calmed down, Twilight said that they would make for the mountain cave first thing in the morning, giving the girls plenty of time to prepare for the journey. Spike was happy they were going to help him find out more about his dragon lineage. And was even more greatful Luna was offering her hoof to help them out. perhaps two alicorns with them might be safer, should they run into some hot heads on the way.

Author's Note:

End of chapter one. Hope you enjoyed it. Let me know in the comments below what you think.

I'd be more then happy to hear what you have to say and *sniffs the air.* is something buwning? *I look back and see my tail on fire.* WHOOOOO!!!HOT!!!HOT!!!HOT!!!HOT!!!HOOOOOT!!!! *I panic so much, my wings start flapping, sending me soaring all over the place.*