• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 2,268 Views, 115 Comments

Long Far Gone - A-P-A



Princess Celestia is lonely, she's been that way for a very long time. Her sister was supposed to return safe, and now she's been taken once again. Celestia just wants her sister back. Nopony could have seen the solution would come from the stars.

  • ...
9
 115
 2,268

Chapter 14: Whispers in the shadows

Long Far Gone, Equis orbit. 10:46 pm 30/06/1000 AN

Exuberant watched the crisp blue of the oceans pass by out of the bridge bay windows. It had been nearly a week since her last contact with her reclaimer, but she knew he was alright. Her sentinels had been designed to return to her in the case that he was captured or critically wounded by one of the planets inhabitants. She had received a visit from one of them, but it was simply to return some samples and repair a constructer unit. The data that was collected on the planet didn't surprise the monitor, for she already had record of most of it. This installation obviously hadn't changed much since the forerunners had commissioned it, in fact she could almost say it was functioning above average. While she was well aware of the librarians tampering with the human seeds, the seeds that populated this planet were designed to keep it's inhabitants firmly grounded.

Her thoughts wandered back to her reclaimer, what was she going to do with him? There was no way she could keep the nature of this planet hidden forever, there was no doubt his ancilla had already uncovered much of the truth, or at least the means to finding it. Exuberant wasn't fond of lying, lies and deceit were the undertones of conflict, and she didn't want conflict. This is why she had avoided directly misleading Mathew and his ghost as much as possible, she had observed the affects that shocking information could have on an organic brain, and she didn't want the last reclaimer to suffer those consequences. However, there was a few things she had purposefully falsified, much to her own displeasure.

It was mystery to the monitor as to how her little fibs had gone completely unnoticed, despite the fact that Mathew's ancilla had access to all the schematics and databases on the entire ship. Did they not think it a little coincidental that the journey here just happened to take exactly a thousand years, and that the inhabitants of the world they were exploring just happen to look exactly like the ones that appeared within the myths of their own culture? Did they not even find it slightly concerning that the arcane energy that permeated the planet was almost identical to the power emitted by the wandering star, and that, for some inexplainable reason, they all spoke the same language?

No, there was no 'lucky' correlation. There was no accidental similaries. Exuberant knew exactly why they were here, and she knew exactly what had drawn them. So she had been preparing. The first order of business was to locate and observe any nearby forerunner structures, this wasn't as easy as it sounded. What little she had found resided mostly apon the planets surface, in the form of medial outposts and weapon caches. She had sent down teams of sentinels to retrieve much of the abandoned firepower, with the knowledge that it was only right to be prepared, and prepared she was. There was however, one other structure she had uncovered. It took a lot of digging, but she was eventually able to crack the excessive firewall that was protecting it, creating a back door for further intrusions. What she found stunned her.

Locked away beneath the planets surface was something that she had wished never to see again, something that should have been destroyed eons ago. A forerunner guardian. It wasn't of the same model as the ones that had been used to enslave humanity. It was something more, aggressive. No doubt it would serve as a valuable tool to her and her comrades, but that was only the case if they could oust the troublesome AI that currently inhabited it. Said AI, Ironicly named '225 Everlasting Truth' had gone rampant millenias ago, and refused acknowledge her own deteriorating state. She was convinced that she was waiting for a message from her creators, and that they would instruct her on the necessary containment protocols for the 'horrific' flood outbrake on the planet above, a message that would never come.

She was dangerous, and needed to be terminated as soon as possible, but her hardwired position within the large device had made it rather difficult for her sentinels to ambush the troublesome construct. That was on ongoing effort.

Exuberant made note of the strange weather patterns moving around in the atmosphere.

"Yes yes, the artificial condensation generators must me functioning optimally."

She added her note to the ever growing list of forerunner infrastructure that the world seemed to display. Everything that was observed corresponded exactly to the information she had stored. The keys the librarian had provided were proving especially effective, even if they weren't originally meant for her use.

Canterlot, Equestria. 11:39pm 30/06/1000 AN

The air was cold and refreshing, and Mathew felt the satisfying cool of the breeze wash over his exposed skin. The meeting had completely lost it's tense aura once the griffons had left. Chrysalis certainly wasn't joking when she said they were a difficult bunch to be around, how anyone could put up with that for more that a few minutes was beyond him. After the King had been, vacated, the subject turned to his tech, which was met with a lot less screams of war mongering that he had expected. It seemed that almost everyone on this rock had a supreme fascination with pretty shades of pink and blue, despite the rather violent nature that the items promoted. After everything was passed around, safety on of course, they went outside for an impromptu demonstration, where a number of targets and practice dummies had been set up by the guard. Mathew got to show off many of the fancy weapons, and offered to pay for all the things that Ember smashed to bits with a gravity hammer.

After all was said and crushed, the leaders had retired the night, leaving the sisters to lower and raise their respective celestial bodies before packing it in themselves. A few more attempts skewering an apple with a blamite shard later, Mathew had also found his way to bed. That brought him to where he was now, sitting on his guest balcony without his armour, enjoying the crisp night air with a platter cheese and crackers he had poached from the kitchen on the way past. He let out a sigh of content, it wasn't often he felt as relaxed as this, if only he had some com-

"Hey."

Mathew jumped at the sound of a voice close by, he searched around for a moment before spotting Chrysalis on the balcony next to him. What was she doing here?

"Uh, hi, what are you doing here?"

She scoffed in a very royal manner, blowing strands of seaweed green mane out of her face.

"Are rooms are next to one another, who knew?" She said giving the human a sarcastic eye roll.

"Actually, I did." Good old ghost, there to ruin every joke, as always.

Chrysalis smiled at the little lights prescence.

"Is there anything you don't know, lightbulb?"

"Yes there is, he doesn't know when it isn't a good time to be a smart ass, isn't that right sparky?"

His ghost huffed and disappeared, leaving them alone. Chrysalis then attempted to adopt a face of superiority, giving the guardian a sly look.

"So, is it gonna be your place or mine?"

This caught Mathew off guard, sending a ripple of laughter through his body, he sprayed his cracker crumbs over the balcony in a fit of giggles.

"I didn't take you for a joker Chryssi, are you fresh out of insults or something?"

The queen's small, insect like wings buzzed, and she floated lazily over to his balcony, landing quietly next to him.

"Just don't let it get to your head, monkey."

Mathew ignored the comment and continued to stare out into the black. A glint floated over the horizon, passing across the sky at extreme speeds. Celestia was holding a press conference tomorrow to deal with that paticular issue.

"Thank you, by the way." Spoke Chrysalis, who also admiring the night.

Mathew turned to face her.

"For what?"

They locked eyes, her deep green to his glowing blue.

"For, you know, sticking up for me today, even though you didn't have to."

"I did have to though, what kind of a friend would I be if I just stood there and did nothing?"

The large arthropod's expression shifted to one of joy.

"You consider us friends?"

"If I'm calling everyone else here my friends, then I might as well add you to that list, besides, you're fun to talk to."

He turned back towards the horizon, failing to notice his companions light blush. They sat in silence for a few minutes more, a long pair of shadows, cast against the castle walls. Eventually Chrysalis stirred.

"As much as I enjoy our time together, I believe I must be getting some rest. See you in the morning... Friend."

Just like that she was gone, her sleek black chitin vanishing into the darkness of her own room. Mathew watched her leave, and gradually began to move himself, picking up the now empty cheese platter. He balanced it carefully on one arm, while using the other to slide open the overhang doors. They were surprisingly easy to move, much like most of the castles doors. Once inside, he placed the wooden board on a nearby desk, next to his sword hilt.

The large bed beckoned him, inviting the guardian with the promise of warmth and comfort. He was about to climb into the silky material when his ghost popped into existence next to him.

"I've been thinking..."

"Oh wow, there's a surprise, the machine designed to think, thinks." Came a snarky reply, muffled by a sea of blankets. Ghost just ignored him.

"That griffon seemed to know something we don't, something rather bad."

"Well can we continue 'not' knowing what he meant until the morning, I'm already past the point of no return."

"Mathew this is serious!" Cried the ball of light, twitching angrily.

Mathew sat up, giving him his best 'are you shitting me' look.

"It's just the way he put his remark, like he was deliberately using the word darkness... Like he was describing something more..."

"Are you sure it's not just another metaphore, I'm pretty certain darkness is widely considered to mean 'bad'. He probably just wants to sue Equestria or something, can I sleep now?"

"Mathew, you do realise what would happen if the enemies of the light found their way here, right? Does this place look like it's prepared for that kind of conflict?"

The human sighed, forcing himself into an upright position.

"I'm telling you, there's no threat. They have no reason to come here, there's nothing they want."

"But what about-"

"They got what they wanted! They killed us, we're all that's left. Why would they go a thousand years out of their way just to catch a single guardian and his ghost? I doubt even the Vex have that kind of patience, and they control time itself!"

Mathew slumped against his pillow, the feathery sensation washing over his head.

"If your really that worried, we can go up to the ship in a couple of days and take a few deep space scans, that monitor owes us one hell of an explanation anyway."

Ghost remained silent, floating above the head board with minimum enthusiasm. Just before he drifted off to sleep, Mathew swore he heard him speak.

"A thousand years, those numbers just don't..."

Then he was consumed.

...
...
...
...
...
Mathew awoke with a start, everything around him was black, draped in a thick layer of whispy shadows. He felt around, looking for the bedside lamp, his hands grasped nothing. Slowly, he climbed out of his bed, his movements were silent. The guardian finched as his food made contact with the ground, it was smooth and hard, unlike the soft carpet that previously covered the space. As he rose from the bed, the viscous smoke began to clear, allowing his eyes to adjust.

"Ghost, you there?" He whispered, unsure if he could be heard. There was no response. "Ghost? Where are you?"

"Your robotic friend will be of no use to you here, human."

That voice, Mathew recognised it, but he couldn't place where from.

"Who are you? Come out so I can see who's been stalking me."

The darkness shifted nearby, but nothing approached.

"You may not know me now, but in time, you will come to remember me."

"And why is that?"

"Because this isn't the first time we've met, and it won't be the last..."

Mathew shuddered as a tendril of ink danced along his back, caressing him softly.

"Such fear, such, hatred... Tell me human, why do you feel this way, why do you keep so much bottled up inside?"

The voice seemed to come from everywhere at once, including his mind. He drew a void bow out of no where, pointing it at the swirling clouds.

"This is your last chance! Come out now!"

"As you wish..."

A portion of the darkness grew blacker that the rest, and slowly, a plated hoof began to emerge, followed be a body, and then a fanged grin. Nightmare Moon stood before him in all her regal glory.

"You..."

"Yes human, me..."

"What do you want?"

She paused her advance, staring down at Mathew with hungry eyes.

"This isn't about what I want." She raised a hoof to the crackling arrow aimed at her, it vanished in a shower of light. "This is about what you want"

"And what do I want?" He replied, staring at the place where his light had vanished.

"You seek the truth, as does you companion, you seek to understand why you are here..."

Mathew looked around at the crazy dream world surrounding him.

"I already know why I'm here, I'm here because you brought me."

"Not here, you fool. Here..."

A large image of Equis appeared, hovering above them in the eerie blue light. Nightmare continued.

"You seek understand the nature of you arrival, as well as the world you've been deposited on."

Mathew growled at the spirit, who remained unfazed.

"I've got no time for this! Why are you even talking to me! Your just another monster to add to the ever expanding list!"

Now it was Moons turn to be angry, she grew taller than Mathew, and her dark blues tilted to angry reds.

"There is much talk and I have listened! Through earth and cloud and time! Now I shall talk and you shall listen..."

Her form faded and returned to normal, were an intimidated human was waiting.

"You are being lied to, Mathew Ausland, blatant lies, covering a truth you do not know..."

"And why should I listen to you, you took over Luna's body, you forced her sister to banish her!"

"You say that like we are two entirely different entities, nay, while Luna has a physical body, and I do not, we are very much related. I am an extension of her conscious, and she is an anchor for mine. Luna created me because she didn't have what it took to forward her plans, she created me because she couldn't bear to fight the ones she loved herself. Her plan stayed the same, I was merely an execution, a contingency."

"Why should I trust you?" Said Mathew.

Nightmare Moon sighed.

"What do you know of this world human, other than its filled with creatures you recognise?"

This caused the human to stop.

"What are you saying?"

"Tell me human, why weren't you immediately arrested by Celestia when you arrived?"

"Because I rescued Luna from the-"

"And why did you do that?"

"It was the right thing to do-"

"And why do you think she came with you? Surely an obviously unknown alien creature, showing up in one of the largest warships ever built would set off some alarms?"

"Wait, I never told you about-"

"And didn't young Twilight, having met you just thirty minutes prior, give you and address to her home! How odd..."

Mathew took a seat on the bed, which was still sitting in the smoke clearing. She was right, he had trusted them almost instantaneously. Why? He had assumed it was due to their naive appearance, and how innocent Luna had looked on the moon. Then he met Celestia, and even though she presented herself as a possible hostile, it didn't even cross his mind to raise a weapon. The same thing happened with Chrysalis, and after five minutes she already had him calling her by a pet name, 'Chryssi'.

"Why is it, that whenever any of them are around, you immediatly jump to defend them? Without thinking, you put yourself at risk for people you hardly know."

Did she just say people?

"I know why, I wish for you to know why."

Mathew looked up at her, finding the spirit towering over him.

"I-I don't know..."

"Then think! What about this place makes you feel so safe, and why do you refuse to trust someone who is an extension of the pony you already know!"

"I SAID I DON'T KNOW!"

Moon backed away, sitting on her haunches. Her long misty tail wafting behind her.

"I just... I just don't know..."

"Then I shall tell you..."

She straightened up, preparing to deliver a speech.

"You are familiar with the concept of the uncanny valley, yes?"

"Yeah, the dip before perfection... What does that have to do with anything."

"It has to do with everything. It has to do with the comfort you feel around those ponies, as well as why you fear me."

Mathew raised an eyebrow, not seeing the point.

"When you look at me, do you feel uneasy, yet you are unable to comprehend why?"

"I imagine it has something to do with the fact that your invading my dreams, and there's nothing I can do to stop it."

"Luna has that ability, as did many other beings of the past. No, you fear me for a different reason, why?"

Mathew closed his eyes, trying desperately to see why she was making him so uncomfortable.

"It's because of what you've done, the deciet you bring."

"Yet you befriended Chrysalis, the queen of a race who's entire livelyhood depends on lies and the warping of perception."

There was silence, Mathew locking eyes with the fallen goddess. Then she continued.

"It's because I'm almost perfect, almost a pony that you can trust yet there is something in me that tarnishes me, makes me seem, out of place. Can you feel it, can you feel them?"

"I don't know what your talking about, now please, just wake me up."

"You can sense something within me that shouldn't be there. Let me show you..."

Suddenly, Nightmares voice shifted pitch, it's tone becoming higher and less regal.

"Can you sense what you've lost Mathew."

There was no way, she sounded exactly like Kalie. Her pitch changed again.

"Can you feel the pain of a thousand lives lost."

That was Cayde, how did she even know what they sounded like?

"Does it hurt."

Mathew stopped thinking, his mind went numb. That was his own voice, down to the little hoarse scratch. Mathew hadn't felt fear like this in all his life.

"What... Are you?"

"I? I am a monument, to all your sins..."

Mathew stood up from the bed, backing away from the crazed mare.

"You are being lied to, Mathew Ausland, and it's time for you to wake up, wake up, wake up."

"Wake up."

"Wake up, Mathew please!"

"You have to wake UP!"

Mathew snapped awake, his hands gripping the duvet for balance, his ghost floated overhead.

"Mathew thank the traveller, your vitals were all over the place, if you weren't a guardian you could have gone into cardiac- Mathew! Are you listening to me!"

"We need to leave..."

Ghost double took him.

"What do you mean, there's a press conference tomorrow, we can't just-"

"We're leaving now, port the weapons back into the Lich, we're getting answers."

Ghost could sense the serious tone in his voice, and promptly transmatted the desired items on board.

"Should we tell them we're going, it would be rude just to leave like this..."

"They can't know, not till we know who we can trust. I'll explain on the way."

Mathew finished putting on his armour before stealthily making his way down to the courtyard, the ship was resting quietly, and he ran for the entrance, which was sealed shut. A quick rap on the purple surface and they were faced by gold, who was in idle mode, his long fins tucked away.

"How may I be of assistance."

"We're leaving, pack you bags."

The Sentinel just floated inside and began the startup procedure, before long, Mathew was seated in the glossy pink cockpit. He snuck a glance at the co-pilot chair, which still had a small strand of blue hair stuck to it. He turned away in anguish, this had nothing to do with her... At least he hoped. They would soon find out. Just as the first rays of dawn began to approach, a crack shattered silence of the morning air, followed by a halo rainbow energy, most slept through it, but a certain blue alicorn had no need of sleep.

Author's Note:

Hey, here's another one. It's not as long as the last, but I enjoyed writing it. Exams are this week, so don't expect another chapter till that's over. I promise I'll try to stop ending on cliff hangers, but I always end up doing it anyway. Also spelling etc.

See ya next time.

~APA :trollestia: