• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 2,268 Views, 115 Comments

Long Far Gone - A-P-A



Princess Celestia is lonely, she's been that way for a very long time. Her sister was supposed to return safe, and now she's been taken once again. Celestia just wants her sister back. Nopony could have seen the solution would come from the stars.

  • ...
9
 115
 2,268

Chapter 8: Within the minds eye

Venus, Ishtar sink. 22/06/4367 Earth date

The Ishtar jungles were quiet, silent almost. The only sounds that were heard came from the bubbling streams of superheated magma, boiling away beneath the baked rocks. The swirling clouds in the sky retained their deep green colour, as various noxious gases sifted through one another, creating intricate patterns. A lone Fallen Vandal scanned the horizon from his sniper post apon the old academy roof. The jungle was never silent. Ever.

The machines always stirred, unceasing, relentless, ready to attack. Yet the jungle was still, the leaves of the Venusian trees fell softly apon the stone floor. It was eerie, but he needed to stay alert. The Eliksni fleet had long since left this desolate system, only a few remained, ever watchful. Though it seemed like a fools errand, it was as if all life had ceased on that day... That fateful day. The Vandal blinked, rubbing the lense on his scope with a small rag.

The humans had always hidden behind their walls, sending out their soldiers of the dead to defend what little they had, delaying what was ultimately inevitable. Or so he was told, the warriors of the light had long since faded into myth, the only reason he remembered the stories is because of where he was. This planet was to be abandoned soon anyway, there was nothing left to scavenge, no loot left to take.

He found the thought quite saddening actually, a whole civilisation, one that had fought for centuries against them, snuffed out like a weak flame. Those humans had accomplished so much, only to die a quick and painful death at the touch of forces from the dark beyond. He spotted a servitor heading his way, accompanied by a Dreg holding a long tubular weapon. As they approached he jumped down from his post to greet them. The Dreg stepped up and muttered something in Eliskni, before presenting the object to him.

It's white and gold surface was tarnished and old, what little of the metal was still painted gleamed against the molten magma below. There was an elaborate design of a miscellaneous creature above the barrel, where a projectile would presumably be launched. Something about this weapon sparked feelings of nostalgia, though he was unsure as to why.

"Toss it in with the other scrap, seems worthless to keep it around."

The Dreg nodded and tossed the launcher into the pile with the other detritus of the search, before marching back down to the waters edge to scourer again. What a waste of useless time.

The Vault of Glass, 2 miles below...

The Vault of Glass. A rip in time and space where all that is known, and all that is loved, is drowned out in an endless flow of thoughts and memories of people that are remembered, will be remembered and can't be remembered. The throne is dead, it's once mighty power gone to the winds of time. The sparkling glass is cracked and worn, barely anything flows through now. For the first time in time, the vex had lost. They had lost their gateway to the beyond, they had lost their throne of glass and conflux of time. Time... Time is the great decider, it's the force that determines whether you exist... Or you do not.

The Vex had control of this force, bending it to their will and writing themselves into the very nature of existence itself. They had their conflux, and they had their garden... And they had their enemy. Inferior. That's what they were, they ran and they hid, never revealing themselves for more than a nanosecond at a time. There was never a moment when they weren't running, running from them. Cowardly. Logical, but cowardly. Those mindless puppets of the domain, refusing to break away from dead protocols and pointless directives.

Then they lost the garden, the garden of the harmonics. They lost it to a single mortal being with a pellet gun and a sharp stick, how weak of them. It was no matter, the garden would be easily recovered, or so they thought. The humans were far more crafty than they had originally presumed. The undying mind had been destroyed, and with it all hope of a swift reclamation. The glass throne was all they had left, and then even it was taken.

Those humans weren't the target, they were merely an obstacle, to be over come with trademark brute force. Yet the Vex had underestimated them so much, that they had allowed them to infiltrate their most delicate infrastructure and destroy the source of all their power. Atheon.

Even now the Vex are still recovering, little of that power is theirs. Yet the fact remains that they have a mission to complete, a purpose to fulfil. Those cowards may have fled, but nothing can hide from the scrying eye of the Vex mind. Not even those... Sentinels. They're location has finally been revealed, after a thousand years of waiting, plotting and preparing.

They have fled to the only place that they think can protect them. Typical. They abandon those who they swore to defend just as they are needed most, first the forerunners, and now the humans. What could they possibly hope to gain off of... Them? Only time will tell...

Canterlot, Equestria. 9:48 am 22/06/1000 AN

The pounding of hooves resonated off the cobblestone walls as six ponies raced through at breakneck speed. Rainbow Dash rounded a bend and slid across the murky floor, just grazing the side of the passage. She would take to the air but the roof was to low, and she wasn't risking a visit to the infirmary. Air whipped past her face as she rocketed faster down the corridor.

"How much further to the gardens!" Yelled Applejack, who was keeping pace Celestia's guard at the head of the pack.

"It's just round this bend! Though we may have to slow our pace significantly!"

That damn egghead. How could she be so stupid! Rainbow was extremely fond of Twilight but it was moments like this that she wished for a few extra cells in the common sense department. Why did she just teleport away like that? Without the slightest warning no less! The next bend was fast approaching, so she slowed to a reasonable speed.

They turned the corner and were immediately met with a familiar looking gate and a pair of stoic sentries, who didn't even glance. Their guard banged on the iron bars.

"Hey! Let us through, we've got an emergency! He yelled, getting the guard ponies attention instantly. "We have an unauthorised infiltration, the assailant is heading to the throne room."

The gate was unlocked faster that Rainbows eyes could even track, so much so that it almost flew off its hinges. The soldiers turned and slowly jogged away towards the other side of the courtyard before reaching the stairs and breaking into a mad gallop. Their escort turned back to them.

"Now I want all of you to listen very carefully, okay? Don't make any sudden movements, and keep your voices low at all times. You got me?"

The group nodded, though they remained unsure of why.

"Good, now stick close to me, and for Celestia's sake don't scream."

They exited the tunnel and into the courtyard, Rainbow could sense the tension in the air, what was happening here? Then she saw them. Dozens of tiny lights, shifting and changing as they swirled around. They were examining plants, rocks, anything. A huge object loomed overhead, it's indigo surface sparkling against the blue sky. The creatures noticed their presence immediatly, and began to swiftly approach, Rainbow resisted the urge to back away.

"Don't. Move." Whispered the guard.

They began to circle the elements, shooting out blue beams that created grid patterns on their fur. They didn't seem aggressive, just curious. Maybe that's why Fluttershy slowly extended a hoof towards one of them, stopping just below its silvery surface. The odd creature stared at it for a moment, as if confused by what she meant.

"Hello little guy." She whispered, quieter that a door mouse. "Your not evil, in fact... I think your rather cute."

"Flutters, what the hay are you doing!" Dash whispered harshly. "That thing could be dangerous!"

Fluttershy responded with an irritated glare. The small creature took one last glance at her hoof before slowly extending its own sleek appendage, it was like an insect feeler, but more mechanical looking, and it was getting closer... And closer.... And-

"AHHHHHH GET THIS HORRID THING AWAY FROM MY MANE!" Screamed Rarity, waving her hooves around in the air. The minature machine swerved in the air, attempting to evade the constant bombardment being sent its way.

A lucky blow struck the delicate creature from the side, sending it spiralling out of control. It landed on its side in the grass, sparking and whistling in pain. Rarity was suddenly flocked by the little beasts, their ambient blue eyes replaced with an aggressive red glow. A clank was heard from behind them as a door unlocked. A pair of significantly larger creatures flew from the side of the purple structure, with incredible speed they crossed the courtyard and were apon swarm in an instant.

"NAP violated. Prepare for lethal response. "

Their voices sounded synthetic, but extremely threatening. Rarity was screaming now, furiously shaking her front legs around as if she was trying to swat a fly. The machines dodged her blows gracefully, their red lights getting brighter by the second.

"SOMEPONY HELP ME!" She yelled, her voice muffled by the swirling cloud of robots.

"Hang on! I'm coming!"

Rainbow leaped up and raced towards the swirling mass. Many of the red eyes turned on her, preparing for her attack.

"GET AWAY FROM MY FRIEND YOU MONSTERS!"

She jumped into swarm, but was met with nothing but a snapping sensation. A blinding pain erupted around her neck as something cut off her windpipe. Rainbow looked down to see a metal claw clamped tightly around her throat, the offending android holding her in its vice like grip. It's claw tightened as its metallic arm thrust backwards, throwing her to the ground.

"NAP violated, prepare for lethal response."

Rainbow looked up at the robots unfeeling red eye, glaring daggers. It seemed unfazed.

"STAY BACK FROM HER YA VARMENT!"

There was a loud crack as Applejack bucked the creatures side with all her might. A blue field sprunge up, sending her flying forwards in a shower of lightning and sparks. The metal beast was knocked to the side a few feet, but quickly recovered and began charging some sort of magic.

"Prepare for lethal respo-"

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!"

A loud roar pierced the morning air. All activity from the metal monsters ceased. Most of the smaller forms quickly recovered and filed into a rack near the back of the courtyard. The two larger ones lined up next to one another, standing to attention.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!"

Rainbow turned to the source of the voice, but she couldn't lift her head to the right angle. The machine on the left, the golden one, spoke up.

"NAP violated, aggression detected. A response was required."

"What part of NON LETHAL FORCE do you two not understand!"

"One of our units was damaged, so we responded in kind."

There was a crunch of hooves against gravel as something approached, she felt it touch her withers, and she froze up in fear.

"It's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you." It's voice was soft, though it carried an air authority around it. "Can you help her up? I don't wanna lift her."

Rainbow felt herself engulfed in a magical aura, she was slowly lifted and propped up against the base of a nearby tree. Her eyes were still adjusting, but she could make out a crouched silhouette infront of her. As her eyes came into focus she was stunned by what she saw. It was a creature unlike any she had seen before. It had a flat face with sharp features, small eyes and no muzzle. It seemed to have no fur aside from a small tuft apon it's head, but the rest of its body was clad in thick blue plating adored with designs of wolves and trees. A long flowing cloak trailed down its back, golden thread gleaming in the sunlight. It's voice was clearly masculine, though not as deep as that of a stallion. Almost as if he was... Young?

"You alright, you look like you've just seen a ghost."

Rainbow just stuttered. He chuckled and winked at her before getting up to glare at its robot companions.

"I want you to tell me exactly what happened here."

"The Non Agression Principle was violated by the white equine over there." It gestured carelessly in Rarity's direction, who was still attempting to catch her breath. Her mane was matted and dirty, twigs poking out at all angles. "She damaged one of our constructors, we took her actions as a threat."

The armoured creature sighed. "Where is it?"

The machine pointed towards a spot in the grass, where the still shivering form of the constructor was lying on its side. The odd beings plating shifted as it bent down to pick it up, dextrously sweeping it out of the short lawn. He held the small device up to his eyes, straining to get a closer look.

"Damn, is it fixable?"

"It should be, though for what purpose? It won't be a significant reduction to our uni-"

"I don't care. Get this thing fixed and for god sake stay in the Lich or I swear to the traveller I'll dismantle you on a subatomic level. You got it gold?"

That voice. It was hard, bitter. On the verge of terrifying. Rainbow felt herself cower against the hard bark of the tree. The machines didn't fair much better.

"Request acknowledged, waypoint received."

"Good, keep it that way."

A small metal manipulator snuck out and snatched the constructor from his claw before the duo sped back inside the 'Lich'. The large door clamped shut behind them, and the courtyard was silent once again. It was at that point that Rainbow noticed he hadn't arrived alone, in fact he was with the last pony she had expected to see. The Princess slowly approached the creature, her everflowing mane wafting behind her. She raised her hoof and rested it softly on his back, giving it a gentle tap.

"It's fine Mathew. This wasn't your fault, stop worrying yourself."

The creature, or Mathew as he was called turned back to her with a somewhat soft smile on his lips.

"I know, I... I just didn't want my presence to be a danger to anyone, and I've already caused so much trouble as it is. Maybe I'm better off leaving you out of this."

Celestia gasped, a look of shock on her face.

"You haven't caused anything at all, you couldn't have known all this would happen, it was simply a big misunderstanding."

"But what if it wasn't? What if I'm a danger to your people. I could end up hurti-"

"Do you really believe that? Is that what you think of yourself?"

Mathew simply looked down, refusing to make eye contact with the solar goddess.

"If you were really a danger to my ponies Mathew, if you really didn't care... Do you think you'd have brought Luna home to me? I think not. And I won't allow you to think anything less than that."

His dejected look was replaced with a sly grin. "So what. Your constricting my thoughts now are you? Maybe this place isn't all love and friendship after all."

A playful shove was his reward, but he seemed to laugh it off. Rainbow had been so transfixed by the interaction before her that she had almost forgotten to feel scared. There was just something about the odd the way this thing carried himself. The way he acted so casual, but seemed constantly alert, watching for signs of danger. Years of hanging around with her friend Gilda had taught her to recognise these looks. It was the attitude of a predator, the attitude of a... Hunter. She knew she didn't trust him, even if the princess seemed to. Something was going on here. Rainbow cleared her throat, getting both their eyes to lock her.

"So um... What have I missed?"