• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 3,349 Views, 52 Comments

Daughter of Discord: Of Love and Darkness - kahnac



An AU story concerning the possibility of what might happen if Tirek was involved in the events of Disneyfanatic's "Daughter of Discord" story.

  • ...
2
 52
 3,349

Family introductions, and kitchen shenanigans

To say that Mothball was in wonder would be an understatement.

He was having a SPLASHING good time.

As Fluttershy promised, he'd been brought to the Spa, and treated to a full on service starting with a relaxing, hot bath. Though he requested to try out this stuff called 'bubble bath'. Or, he at least was curious as to what was in the bottles of cleaning substance that had those crystal, clear orbs in them. The ponies who worked there, Aloe and Lotus, were mildly confused by his request, but they didn't refuse him. Especially after Fluttershy had told them of "Emerald Shade" and his unfortunate circumstances which, as far as they knew, almost cost him his life. So they gave him the VIP treatment, and did all that they could to make him relax from the traumatic experience - even if it meant letting have a hot bubble bath. Either way, it did the trick as he seemed to be enjoying himself. Mothball had never seen bubbles before, much less taken a bath. Now here he was, popping little orbs of soap, and blowing them around like a foal. Aloe and Lotus found this endearing, though they also still felt sympathy for the young colt. "Still, I cannot believe it: chased by a pack of Timberwolves?" Aloe said. "Oh, de poor dear."

"But don't you vorry about anyt'ing, Emerald." Lotus said, approaching the rag that had been his 'clothes', and a used towel laying next to it. Mantis, this time taking the form of a little crab, hid under the towel to make a better vantage point for himself, and keep an eye on the prince. But then, "After we're through vith you, ve'll have you feeling more relaxed, and sensational than you've ever been!" He was then snatched up in both cloths, with Lotus giving the rags a disgruntled look. "Meanvhile, i'll....eh.... i'll just get zis vashed for you, while I go get some fresh towels."

Her idea of getting his rag 'washed', of course' was to have it tossed in the trash while the towel Mantis held onto was thrown into the laundry bin passing by. By the time it made it to the laundry room, he was buried under dozens upon dozens of towels. It was so suffocating he was left coughing, and gasping for air from all the pony 'essence' on those towels. But his bad luck didn't end there as he ended up getting tossed into the wash for half an hour, before ponies came to collect, and ready the steaming cloths for use. while they did so, a mare seemed to be engaging in some gossip with two other worker ponies regarding Mothball aka Emerald Shade. "Well, you must've at least heard about this colt."

"No." the others said in surprise.

"Bulk Biceps saw him, and for some reason said he looks like a prince." She then tossed the towels into a super-fast steamer, that spun Mantis around like a pebble in a tumble, hollow log. By the time the steamer was done, he was dizzified, and out of his wits end as the pony worker pulled out the steaming towels. "But since when has Bulk ever gotten anything right." After burping out bubbles from the washing machine due to the bit of nausea the steamer gave him, he suddenly found himself with the towels being squished by a rolling press to get the extra water out. He came out a pancake for a minute before getting mixed up again in the steam towels, just as the gossiping mare was setting them into a stack. "I mean, really? This mystery colt who can't even speak, just shows up in rags without any way of saying who he really is, or where he came from. Not exactly MY idea of a prince, if you ask me. But after watching him mix it up with Screwball when they came in, I will say this: if Fluttershys little girl's looking for a boy, then at least we've got one more highly available one right here."

Finally deciding he had enough, Mantis, upon getting over his nausea, and being squished, turned into a high-jumping frog, and hopped out the nearest window. Almost getting attacked by a barking dog. "AAaah! Nononononono! Get away, you flea-bitten throw rug! Go chew on a bone, or something, i'm not-" But he wasn't watching where he was going, and he ended up cloncking his head on a window sill before bouncing into the new building. Once inside, however, his mouth was agape at the sights that lay before him: a full on kitchen preparing different meals for different tastes. But his attention was drawn to all of the aquatic quissines being prepared in what Mantis was now considering a horror butcher shop. But then he let out a loud gasp at something that, ironically wasn't food.

It was a case filled with pinned, dead insects of numerous varieties, and of different species.

This was more than enough to make him faint......and see that ponies were sadistic creatures.


Having dried himself off, Mothball made his way to the front of the spa, and got ready to meet up with the others. However, as soon as he did, he noticed only Rarity was there. She smiled as soon as she saw him. "Ah, there you are, Emerald darling!" She greeted, surprising him a little at first due to being a little shy around ponies. But nonetheless he gave a polite, albeit barely noticeable smile and waved at the fashionista as she met up with him in the waiting room. "I imagine you must be wondering where Fluttershy, and Screwball are right now, aren't you?" Soon as he heard that question, he nodded spastically, which made the mare giggle. "Well, don't worry: we decided that you deserve to be treated further to help overcome your ordeal. So, Fluttershy and I agreed to meet up at "Chef Fillete's" for a little lunch. I was surprised when I learned Gustave Le Grande opened a shop here in ponyville. But, I AM expanding my own fashion business, so I understand how business expansion is. And I volunteered to wait for you, and encouraged them to set up reservations for the four of us. Sweetie Belle, my sister, offered to look after my daughter Gemstone, so I could have a day to relax with Fluttershy. Your sudden appearance simply.....escalated things to an unexpected surprise for us."

Mothball wasn't sure if he was supposed to feel bad, because he feared he was being a burden on Screwball, her mother, and her friend. Rarity picked up on this, and said, "Now, don't you feel bad, Emerald, dear: while it IS unexpected, I meant your arrival was a pleasant surprise. That's why I want to give you some further hospitality by providing you with new clothes for yourself." She then frowned at the memory of that rag he arrived in. "With all due respect, Shade, darling, that.....thing you were wearing was a crime against fashion itself. And no friend of my friends daughter is going to be made to look like a stuffed burlap sack. So come with me, and i'll take you to my boutique to get your sizings, and then help you pick out a suit." Shen then made a coy smirk. "You do want to impress dear Screwball, don't you?" This made Mothball blush like crazy, and wave his hooves around frantically in denial. Rarity simply laughed in good humor, and brought down his hooves. "Emerald, darling, relax: I was only teasing." She giggled. "But the way you kept looking at her makes me think there might be something......going on between you two."

Mothball really wished he had his voice right now so that he could better deny her claims.

"Sorry, darling, that's my teasing, again." Rarity giggled before calming herself, and then sighing. "I suppose it's just my way of handling stress, and getting my mind off things: something else I owe you for now." Mothball blushed a little. "So let us be off!" She proclaimed. "After some introductions to my family, we can get you all ready for the afternoon." Mothball looked like he wanted to protest in a way suggesting he thought he was being a burden, and he had no means of paying her back. She simply 'tutted' and said, "And don't worry about price, or anything: any friend of my friends family is a friend of my family, as well. And there's no possible way I could leave you with nothing after you were brought to ponyville in literal rags. Think of this is my way of saying "Welcome to Ponyville." She smiled warmly. "And I truly hope you enjoy your stay, Emerald."

That's what Mothball thought as he followed Rarity out of the spa.....but if he could do what he needed to before the three days ended, then he could stay as long as he likes.

And maybe he can be with Screwball forever - the thought of that made the familiar thump in his chest go off again.

"I still wish I knew what that was."


"Uh, Ms. Jolly Carol, what is the special?"

"Oh, you're gonna love it! Chef's been whipping a speciality: light cheese, and salmon casserole."


A few minutes later, and Mantis now disguising himself as a crab for a more "crafty" travel, came upon the head chef of this restaurant: a griffon decked out in a traditional chefs uniform. Even wore a toque, and had a curled moustache to accompany it. He was humming a french song of some kind while rummaging in a cupboard for something. When he emerged, Chef Fillete' brought out a bowl of deceased salmon as he danced to his french tune while closing the cupboard, and then bringing the bowl over to the cutting board.

Mantis then watched in horror as the Griffon prepared the fish while singing in full, while carrying out what he was singing he would do - down to the last detail.

(I know it might be cheating, but this is pretty much how the scene goes)

🎵Les poissons, les poissons
How I love les poissons
Love to chop and to serve little fish
First I cut of their heads
Zen I pull out their bones
Ah mais oui, ça see'est toujours delish

Les poissons, les poissons
Hee hee hee, haw haw haw
With the cleaver I HACK them in two
I pull out what's inside
And I serve it up fried
God, I love little fishes, don't you?

Here's something for tempting the palate
Prepared in the classic technique
First you pound the fish flat with a mallet
Then you slash through the skin
Give the the belly a slice
Then you rub some salt in
'Cause that makes it taste nice🎵

He then noticed the leaf Mantis hid under, and saw the changeling in the form said changeling now realised he should never have chosen. "Zut alors! I have missed one!" Fille' exclaimed as he picked up Mantis, who pretended to be dead. At least until he could find an opening to get away from this psychotic bird-cat, who continued his song with a new verse.

🎵Sacre bleu, what is zis?
How on earth could I miss
Such a sweet, little succulent crab?
Quelle dommage! What a loss
Here we go, in the sauce
And some flour, I think just a dab (ACHOO!)
Now I stuff you with bread
It don't hurt, 'cause you're dead
And you're certainly lucky, you are (COUGH!)
'Cause it's gonna be hot
In my big silver pot
Tout à l'heure, mon poisson!
Au revoir!🎵

But Mantis would not go in so easily, and just barely grabbed the side of the pot he was tossed to as the steam made the flour disappear, and a hot bubble shoved him back on the table. Chef Fillete' seemed to hear the impact, and noticed Mantis on the table. Catching the changeling in disguise in a prong fork as he played dead again, now stressing that is was time to get away. "What is zis?", the gryphon questioned as he gave a suspicious look to the seemingly dead crustacean.

Then screamed in pain when said crustacean snapped his nose.

From thereon it was absolute mayhem, with Chef Fillete' chasing Mantis around like a cat chasing a mouse. All the while getting such abuse in the process: from getting stove burned to foot-panned, then having a batter pot dropped on his head after hurling knives at the horrified changeling. The gryphon was enraged to the point he cleaved the whole table in half, and chased Mantis until he was cornered in the spice rack. With butcher knife in hand, the gryphon charged at said rack with the fury of a thousand, enraged lions before pouncing forth.


"RRRRRREEEEEEEHEEAAAAAAAAAAGH!"


The crashing, and smashing was so loud it could be heard in the dining area. Everypony was looking in the direction of the kitchen doors, wondering just what exactly could be going on in there. Jolly Carol, just finished with bringing our main ponies their drink refills, slowly put down her tray, and as calmly as possible said, "Please excuse me, I think i'd better go see what Fillete' is up to.", before she raced to the kitchen.

Though it was no longer a kitchen, but a warzone that the other ponies who had been watching their sous chef wage with an enemy they didn't know was there watched in panic and terror. They always suspected Chef Fillete' might have been just a little unhinged, but this just proved it. He was completely out of his cotton-pick'n mind! "Come out you little pipsqueak, AND FIGHT LIKE A GRYPHON!" Fillete' roared before diving into the rack once more. Until....

"FILLETE!" Carol shouted enraged, and finally got the gryphon's attention. He did bump his head from the sudden shout on the rack, and almost got a close shave from his own knife that was previously embedded on the rack. But he heard her: and when he saw how furious the mare was, any rage he had died, and was replaced by embarrassment laced with fear as she angrily asked, "What are you doing?!"

"Uh, well, I was just-...uh, eh, d-uh........uh, i'm sorry, Madam?" He flashed what few teeth were left in his beak as he extinguished his candled moustache, and left the mare huffing with the entrees for the four pony guests on a wheeled tray.


"You know, Fluttershy, Screwball, darlings?" Rarity said after taking another sip of her jasmine tea. "Perhaps our friend Emerald Shade might like to see some of the sights of the town, and....maybe even the kingdom." She then raised a knowing eyebrow to Fluttershy as Carol placed their meals on the table. "Perhaps something similar to a tour?"

The cream-furred mare was distracted from watching how her daughter, and the young pegasus were giving each other such endearing looks. She was wondering if maybe Screwball might have been misleading about Emerald, and there was more to him than they were lead to believe. He DID somehow look familiar to her....she just couldn't remember where she'd seen him, though, if she even did. But then she realized Rarity had spoken, and after clearing her throat, asked, "Oh, i'm so sorry, Rarity: what did you say?"

"You can't honestly expect to let Screwball stay in the dismal state she's been in since the gala, do you? I think it's fairly obvious she's taken a liking to this young colt, and he her. If anything, this might be what she needs in order to get out of her unwanted depression. Spending time with a new friend might do that." She was so enamored in her speech, she absent-mindedly opened the lid on her plate. And after a brief glance, Mothball noticed a green crab on her plate, silently shushing him while even Screwball was distracted. Thinking quickly, he ushered the Changeling Captain to bolt for his plate, which he did. "It might even-"

"Easy, Rarity, please!" Fluttershy said politely. Then, after a thoughtful hum escaped her lips, she said, "That might actually be a good idea: if he's interested that is." She turned to him just as he closed the lid, and got Mantis safely hidden, while pretending to just be listening to the conversation. "Screwy, what do you think? Would Emerald be interested in a tour of Ponyville, and Canterlot tomorrow?"

"Hm." She hummed. "No, I don't it's a bad idea, if he wants to go, like you said." She turned to him. "Do you?" He nodded excitedly, as he knew it meant spending more time with Screwball. But even though Screwball herself was happy, another thought occurred to her. "Oh, but mom: Emerald doesn't have any place to stay right now!" Fluttershy herself gasped in realization. "Oh my! I didn't even realize!" She then turned to Emerald Shade. "Do you remember where your home is, or how to get back?" She merely received a sad shake of the head, as she gave an 'oh' of understanding, and sympathy. "I understand." It was here Screwball made a suggestion. "Why doesn't he stay with us, mom? We can take care of him until he's feeling better. And maybe we can help him get settled somewhere in Ponyville once he's ready."

"Screwy, I don't know." Fluttershy said with some uncertainty. "You know how your father is about you and other colts. And after what happened at the gala-"

"Who cares?!" She exclaimed angrily, sounding harsher than she intended, and startling everyone. But she quickly realized her mistake, and as he cheeks blushed she meekly said, "Sorry, mom. It's just.....i'm tired of having to deal with Dads constant, overprotective attitude, which is why i'm still not talking to him yet. But i'm sure you can convince him to let Emerald stay with us. Can't you? If not for Emerald, then for me? Pleeeease?" Fluttershy really wasn't sure if she should just cave in like this, but in her heart she knew it would be cruel to turn away a young pony in need, nor could she turn down her own daughter. So in the end, she relented. "Alright. I'll talk to your father, and tell him we're having a guest over for a few days."

"Hooray!!!" Screwball exclaimed happily, before disappearing then reappearing in a flash of white next to her mom to give her a big hug - literally, as her arms wrapped around the cream-colored ponies body 3 times. "Thank you, mom! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She then returned to her seat, and hugged Mothball, which made him blush. "Isn't this exciting, Emmy? I've never been so excited in so long!"

"Emmy?" Fluttershy inquired.

"Sure: short for Emerald. What else am I gonna call him? Lard?"

This got everypony laughing in amusement, then Rarity said, "Marvelous! Now let's eat, darlings, before this meal wanders off my plate."

Imagine her surprise when said meal was nowhere to be seen: as if it got up, and scuttled away.


"This has got to be without a doubt.....the single, most HUMILIATING day of my life!" Mothball would've chuckled as he patted the miniaturized General Mantis on the head, as he was pulling out some lettuce from his shell. But since he was mute, he just settled for the patting, which earned him the general's attention, and agitation. "I hope that you appreciate what I go through for you, young grub!"

At this point, Mothball was just tuning Mantis out. He was just so tired he wanted to go to bed, and nothing else. He expected his bed to be as hard as the kind he was used to sleeping on. But he was surprised when he sank into the bed, and felt how soft, and comfy it was. A happy smile stretched across his face as he jumped on the soft bed, and cuddled into one of the many pillows on the bed. Mantis, on the other hoof, was completely oblivious to this as he was in his own little world.

"Now, we need to come up with a plan to get that mare to kiss you. Tomorrow, when she takes you for that tour, you've gotta look your best! From what i've heard of wooing ponies, you gotta......oh, yes: you gotta bat your eyes like this *looks like a mare batting her eyes*. Y gtta pckr yr lPSTHS lk ds!" he muffled, until he finally saw Mothball out like a light. At this point, he was grateful he could still feel emotions, because despite the headache he had which he could have blamed the prince for, seeing him like this was too endearing, and he could no longer stay mad at him. He flew up to, and blew out the candle on his nightstand, and then went over to the bed, landing on the pillow. To better ensure he would stay hidden, he disguised as a small head pillow resting over Mothy. But not before he brushed the boy's hair off his face, and jokingly gave him one last comment.

"You're so hopeless, boy, you know that? *yawns* Completely hopeless."


Meanwhile, in the everfree forest, and the Changeling Hive that resided there, a certain queen was beside herself. It was not so much worry as it was frustration at not knowing where Mothball, or her subordinates were. They were supposed to have come back last night, and yet they were gone for far longer. Something that did NOT fit into her own plans for taking Equestria. Without the Prince, and whatever intel he had garnered, she would be halted in her plans and her revenge would be wasted. As she stared out the window of her throne room, a changeling drone entered. "Any sign of them?" She asked with a hint of anger.

"No, your majesty." The drone answered with a hint of fear in his voice. "We've searched everywhere, but found no trace of your son, the general, or the guards accompanying him.

"Well, keep looking!" She exclaimed in anger. "Leave no stone unturned, no cavern unexplored! Let NO changeling in this kingdom sleep until he's brought back home."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Perhaps I can be of some assistance?" Came a voice from the shadows. Surprised, Chrysalis, and those in the chamber with her turned to see a wicked sight: a centaur with long horns, a white head of hair with a beard of the same color, red skin, yellow, pupil less eyes and black fur decked out in midnight blue armor, and a red and black cape. Chrysalis' mouth fell open, and she hissed, "It can't be?"

"Oh, but it is." Tirek said smugly, before he was surrounded by the Changeling Guard. Yet he did not show any signs of fear in the slightest. "Don't waste your time: unless you enjoy the poisonous taste of pure hatred." he chuckled, which only made Chrysalis angrier as her horn ignited. "You have some nerve appearing in my throne room, after what you did!" she said.

"I only did what was best for me." he said. "Besides, if you hadn't cast me aside, and spurned my offer of an alliance, I would have had no need to steal your hive from you. But you forced my hand, and made me teach you another lesson in humility." He looked around himself with his arms behind his back, and then said, "But if you're wise, then this time you'll accept my new offer of an alliance. Face it, Chrysalis: you need me."

"Like I need a sunburn." she said scornfully.

"You Changelings were once a pinnacle of fear, and power in this world. You pillaged, and plundered love while leaving no survivors in your wake." Tirek then gained a look of disappointment. "Now look at you all: scavengers taking scraps of what love they need to survive. Now that Equestria knows of your existence, there's no way to launch a true invasion on this land again. You cannot claim the amount of love you once had aplenty."

"Then maybe we'll start by draining every last ounce of love in your heart, you wicked beast!" Chrysalis snarled, preparing to do just that.

"I already told you," Tirek said while rolling his eyes, "my heart is nothing but hate. And hatred is a poison to Changelings. You would die where you stand if you fed on me." He then smiled. "Besides, why settle for just one meal when you could be feasting for ages? With my help, you could claim the lands where love is shared, and plentiful. Where you, and your kind can never go hungry again. I'm sure the notion is most appealing to you, isn't it? To have Equestria the way you want it? The only catch being that you may have Equestria if you agree to let me claim it as my kingdom. I'm more than willing to share."

Chrysalis merely scoffed, and said, "Even if I were to agree to such a plan, Chrysalis obeys noone. And besides, those lands are not yours to give. They are protected by Twilight Sparkle, her friends, and even that no-good Discord. What miracle do you possess that could deal with them?"

Tirek's smile widened as he suddenly approached the queen, much to the Changeling's paranoia. But he got no closer than a few feet from her before he said, "Two creatures that will prove to be the key to Discord's and the ponies undoing: Mothball.....and Screwball." When Chrysalis tilted her head in confusion, Tirek said, "You son has been with little Screwball ever since the gala. He has abandoned the hive, and chosen to live among the ponies forever." He chose to leave out the part where General Mantis and his two subordinates were also with him deliberately. It would make the surprise all the more fun when she found out herself. Speaking of Chrysalis, she was seething with anger, and almost in denial. "My only son - fraternizing with the ponies?!" She yelled, startling her drones, and making Tirek's smile widen. "Why should I believe you? What proof do you have?"

"Oh, let's just say that I have my.....certain ways of keeping track of things." He then used his magic to open a portal, and summoned Orpheus and Sisyphus to the hive. In Orpheus' hooves was the sleeping form of Zany. Chrysalis and the changelings were surprised to see them, and allowed Tirek to explain, "Kirin can be a most elusive species: especially when mixed with dragon, and changeling DNA. My little darlings here keep me informed of all that transpires in Equestria, and bring me potential.....customers in need of my services. They are veeery good at staying hidden, and their shapeshifting, and magic puts even a changeling's to shame. They revealed Mothball's treachery to me, and i've been keeping an eye on him through them ever since. I couldn't be more proud to have these two in my service. They even managed to bring me this little one: Discord's son."

"You foalnapped Discord's own son?" Chrysalis said in amazement.

"Indeed." Tirek said. "He will prove to be of great use to my plan - our plans, if you're interested."

Chrysalis raised a brow, and asked, "What sort of plan is this, Tirek?"

Tirek merely chuckled, and said, "The kind which will destroy Discord, of course."

Distant murmurings from the Changelings showed they were intrigued by this notion. But there was also a hint of doubt in their tone. Sensing this, Tirek spoke up. "Discord has allowed himself to fall from grace, and become Equestria's servant. But when I am Lord, the mighty will be free to take whatever they want. Because a Changeling's belly is never full."

"Discord is far too powerful to challenge." Chrysalis bitterly said. But what Tirek said next only turned the murmurs of doubt into the murmurs of belief. A feeling even Chrysalis herself was now feeling.

🎵Discord is yesterday's message
A clamped down, distracted regime
Whose failings undoubtedly presage
The need for a different dream

Yes, equine times are a changing
Which means that all Changelings must, too
My vision is clear, and wide ranging
And even encompasses you

So prepare for the coup of the century
Be prepared for the murkiest scam

Meticulous planning
Tenacity spanning
Decades of denial
is simply why i'll
Be king undisputed
Respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am!

Yes, my teeth, and ambitions are bared

Be prepared~🎵

Pretty soon, all of the Changelings were chanting "Be prepared" at the same time. They were growing closer to Tirek's side, and felt inspiration to join his cause. Even Chrysalis felt persuaded to help Tirek in his wicked scheme, whatever it may be. And if things went south, they could always destroy him. Besides, it would all be worth it to get her revenge on the ponies, and especially on Discord. Tirek himself was pleased to see that he was winning over the Changelings, and his predatory teeth flashed in the light as he continued.

"Be prepared, be prepared!"

🎵Be prepaaaaa-aaaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aaaaared~🎵

"Be prepared!" he proclaimed as the Changelings all shouted in appraisal, ready to aid in his plan.

🎵Yes, our teeth, and ambitions are bared
Be prepaaaaaaaaaaaared~🎵

Author's Note:

I hope nobody comes after me for using the 2019 version of "Be prepared". It just fit the scenario so well, I had to use it. ^^;

But anyway, yes, things are spicing up. Mothball is getting used to his new lifestyle. Mantis has a close encounter with culinary death like poor Sebastian from "The Little Mermaid". And now, Tirek is gaining the aid of the changelings for his master plan. Let's just say that he provides Chrysalis the intel she needs to enact her plan in the story. Since Mothball isn't her prisoner, and Tirek has two mutant Kirin who are his literal eyes, and ears in the world, someone has to provide her majesty the intel needed for her little plot.

Next chapter, Mothball and Screwball spend more time together, and the former prince has to try and "Kiss the Girl", if you know what I mean.

Bride/Daughter of Discord is owned solely by @Disneyfanatic2364