• Published 2nd Jun 2017
  • 1,102 Views, 55 Comments

The Janitors - Sense of Humor



A blind man, A pirate, A psychopath, An Alicorn, A kaiju and The possible daughter of Luke Skywalker wash up on an island. An adventure ensues.

  • ...
1
 55
 1,102

No one is a morning person, I see.

Twilight wasn't surprised to be the first one awake, but she was a little perturbed that Harley had somehow snuck over and used her body as a pillow.

The Alicorn's eyes narrowed, completely clear of sleepinessential by now and instead filled with annoyance. She wouldn't have felt so annoyed if Harley wasn't snoring so unbelievably loud--her face was actually pretty peaceful and calm, reminding her of the times she checked on Spike. Twilight frowned at the memories and tried nudging the human's head with the wing she was sleeping on. "Um, Harley? C'mon. Wakey, wakey."

"....mmmmmmrmmmmm...Mmmmmmmistah jaaaay~?" Harley's sleepy tone was laced with a seductive air, and a smirk molded her lips. "My,my,my...sssomeone's up nice and...early todaaaaay..."

Twilight cringed when the woman dragged a finger from her lip down her neck and to her chest. She didn't like where this was going. "Harley! It's me, Twilight!"

"Aw, don't be like that...puddin...All youuuu needs is..." She began to sleepily lean in towards Twilight with her lips puckered dramatically. "A niiiiiii~iiiiiice smoochie...Now gimme some sugah, sugah!"

"HARLEY!" Twilight shrieked frantically, hardly able to pull herself out of the arms of Harley. How did she get this strong?! "HARLEY, WAKE UP!"

The jester-girl snorted herself awake and stared at Twilight with wide eyes. She looked at her puckered lips, and then at the pony, before finally looking at the others who had been abruptly awakened. Once she had enough of the awkward vibes from everyone, the woman closed the gap and pecked Twilight's cheek. "Aaaaaand, good morning to you too! That's a...a good morning kiss for ya, Sparkle!"

Twilight just fixed with a strange, unblinking stare and Daredevil suddenly tilted his head up towards the sky. "The sun's barely out yet." He observed after a few moments of scrutiny and a nod.

"Good a time as any to be awake on this forsaken piece of sand and grass." Jack offered sarcastically and stood to his feet, only for Godzilla to shake like a dog and spray over him. "...Ms.Sparkle, your majesty: could you get your pet to not do that?"

"He's not my pet." Twilight deadpanned and gently shoved off Harley. She looked to the jungle and wondered just what waited for them within its green borders. Something to get them off this blasted island, or so she hoped. They could do no world saving from the prison of this island. "...Well, I guess a quick breakfast is in order, and then we should move along."

Rey nodded slowly, methodically. "Yes, I suppose we should."

"You both were pretty quick to agree to all this without asking any questions." Daredevil quipped with a sigh. "Aren't you at all mad about being taken away from your homes?"

Twilight nodded, but knew better than to just leave the answer at that. "Anger won't save any of those people out there, but I can if I try. I'd rather stop whoever they are out there than deal with them on my doorstep." She looked towards the young Jedi. "That's why you agreed, right?"

The woman shrugged halfheartedly and said: "Well, yes, but partly. You looked like you were going to do this alone and...well, it didn't seem right to let a kind heart like yours do this alone."

Daredevil fixed her with a respecting look despite his reluctantance. "That's...honorable."

Rey smiled softly, her eyes gazing down at the lightsaber on her hip. "Jedi are always honorable. It won't be an easy task, but at least with the help of you three, we have a good chance of victory. "

The man breathed in and exhaled with a sigh of agreement. "Maybe. But I still would've appreciated a little warning."

"Heh." Jack nodded. "I don't think anyone would argue with that mate."

Godzilla chirped.


It had been nearly an hour since they'd set foot in the jungle, and the search wasn't turning up anything useful. Daredevil was leading the trek around the jungle and its dense foliage, while everyone followed in relative quiet. But as the minutes passed, glances were exchanged between most of the group and the back of the man's helmet. Twilight didn't doubt that he would find something, since his senses hadn't failed them in the past...she just wasn't expecting this to take so long, or for their travels to take them in all kinds of strange shapes. "...maybe we should've asked Motley where to look before we entered."

"Maybe Motley should've put whatever it is on the beach instead." Harley piped up behind Rey tiredly.

Daredevil tilted his head westward, red lenses narrowed. "I've got this. It shouldn't be too much longer--I can hear a breeze wafting over metal. It's just taking me a second to figure out where."

Rey sighed and swatted away another persistent mosquito. Given how many had been buzzing around her the past few minutes, the woman was feeling homesick about the desert she grew up on. No annoying, buzzy things survived the heat there. "Well, is there anything we can do to help?"

"Yes."

"And that is?"

"Keep quiet."

And so it was quiet. Quiet as a group of odd hikers could be, at least. Harley busied herself with occasionally petting Godzilla when he passed her legs, Godzilla licked the remnants of fish oils from her fingers, Jack just...watched boredly, Rey blew bits of sand out of her lightsaber and Twilight's stomach growled. Daredevil must've been listening very closely, because the sound nearly forced him into a defensive position. He shortly went back to work on listening for the metal again.

"I thought you ate earlier. " Jack scrutinized the suddenly sheepish pony, hands on his hips. "What's with the growling?"

Twilight rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, there wasn't any seaweed left that I could find and I was thinking I'd eat once we found...whatever is in this jungle."

"Well, since our chili-pepper tour guide is still searching, you'd better eat up soon." It was possibly because he was bored or too tired to be entirely snarky today, but the man suddenly revealed a dark green vine and placed it on the ground for her. "So, here. Something I found earlier. A nice looking vine and all."

Twilight blinked owlishly at him, but shrugged off her surprise to lean down. Once she picked up the vine in her teeth, she decided that it would be best to slurp it like Spaghetti rather than chew it into an odd pulp in her jaws. Before she could determine the end she'd slurp from, a hissing noise broke all concept traction she had. She blinked again and glanced up at the others; their mouths seemed closed and unable to make that kind or noise if they tried. Twilight raised an eyebrow at Godzilla when he took a step towards her and snarled lowly. It was then that she suddenly realized what made the hissing noise, and its head suddenly rose to stare her down calmly.

"yAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!" Twilight reeled backwards as if she'd been shot, the snake flung instinctively from her jaws and hurled the dinosaurian's head. The humans watched Godzilla chase after the snake like a dog fetching a stick, then observed the Alicorn frantically rubbing her tongue and shuddering uncontrollably. "EWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWWWWWWWWW!"

"OOOOOOh...That was a snake?" Jack tried to look as surprised as the pony looked, and avoided eye contact with a nervous cough. "Huh. Who put that there? I tell ya, you can't trust people. They'll put snakes in places just like that and you'll think they were some kind of plant. Dastardly people, yes. Very dastardly."

"SNRKT." Harley hastily agreed.

Daredevil interrupted the glaring process of Twilight Sparkle by marching off to the west. Everyone reluctantly followed him across the jungle floor, worrying that this was just going to be another fruitless venture. After a long couple of seconds and a long couple of yards passed them all by, Daredevil finally paused before a clearing. Sitting in the clearing was a large vessel of some kind, simple and yet so complex in its design. Its basic shape was made up of countless metal pieces welded together, a pair of front-facing shapes similar to mandibles and an outrigger-style, side-mounted cockpit. The sunlight glinted off of it's smooth hide as if it were brand new, and the lack of dirt or visible wear seemed to hint at that. The vessel appeared to be armed in the front and back with weapon nozzles stationed appropriately beneath the window panes. The windows themselves offered a small glimpse at leather seating stationed not far from the glass view, along with a set of intricate controls.

"The Millennium Falcon!" Rey exclaimed eagerly, rushing up to place her hands on the smooth surface of the metal. She smiled at the new feeling of the hull, and her fingers eagerly felt more of the reinforced areas. Tough and Shiny, just like she was told it was in its glory days. "Motley must know us better than I imagined."

Jack poked it with his sword, ready to leap back if the thing suddenly sprang to life. His eyes squinted as he tapped the hard surface with the edge of the blade and didn't even scratch the paint somehow. Odd. " Millennium Falcon? This doesn't look like a bird at all. Is it some kind of...house?" He tapped the glass of the cockpit curiously. "That's the stupidest place for a window, if that's what it is. And the chimney is missing too. Oh well; as long as you have a place to store the rum."

Rey forced herself out of her memory recollection when he said that."...Wait. Store the ru...She's not a house! " She pursed her lips in brief thought. "Sure, you can live in her, but she's not a house. She's a ship-- the finest in the galaxy, I can say for certain."

"That's not a ship!" Jack argued incredulously, almost offended at her explanation. "This would sooner sing than be seaworthy."

"Not that kinda ship, Jackie." Harley said halfheartedly, her attention clearly more focused on the weapon nozzles underneath the cockpit. "Wooooooow! You could mow down a whole parking lot full'a people with this baby!" Daredevil tilted his head in direction as a silent warning. "I'm kidding! Geez. You suck the joy out of everything...Any who, how soon do I get to take this baby out for a test drive?"

Rey scoffed immediately. "This ship and I have been through a lot, and it belonged to...a very close friend. This was handed down to me, and so I will be the only one piloting it. And even if I weren't able to, Twilight would be my co-pilot and therefore the only other one to drive."

Twilight, who had been quiet due to the scientific portion of her brain (basically 80% of it) adoring the very existence of a fine piece of technology like this, suddenly exploded with gasp. Her liquid purple eyes glowed with a child-like excitement, and her smile did the same. "I'M GONNA CO-PILOT THIS AMAZING PIECE OF ART?!!" She coughed and assumed a neutral look. "I mean, I get to be co-pilot? Cool. "

"Cool is the right word." Rey made a beeline behind the cockpit, her hands still resting on the familiar vehicle. "C'mon! There's a manual way to open it from the outside...yes! Here it is!"

The woman twisted something between the plates of the large ship and a boarding ramp slowly lowered itself with an electronic hiss, the interior of the ship starting to power up its ceiling lights. Once everyone wandered on board, they were treated to the complex insides of the Falcon; the opening was on the side of the ship, but it still winded perfectly into other sectors that were built inside it. Following a trip through the circular corridor, Rey eagerly presented the freight loading room, the three individual holding rooms, the engine vaults, the kitchen/life support room, the oculary bay for manual weapon fire, the secret compartments beneath the corridor, the hyperdrive area and more recently: the escape pods. She flicked on the light to a spacious room that held four individual bunk beds, equaling room for eight to rest their heads. "And this is the crew's quarters, where you guys will sleep! As you can see, there's enough room for you all and then some."

"I ain't gonna be here that long, but I will appreciate the hospitality fa' now." Harley commented.

Daredevil removed one of his gloves as he entered, taking hold of the orange blankets first, and then the sheets underneath it. "No cotton."

"Yeah, but it is the next best--"

"No, no. This is fine. Cotton feels like sandpaper."

Rey looked as if she was going to say something about his weird comparison, but dropped the notion. "Anyways, let's head to the cockpit."