• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 3,120 Views, 88 Comments

Waking Nightmares - Kelvin Shadewing



A college student deals with halucinations of the pony kind.

  • ...
2
 88
 3,120

Chapter 5

Waking Nightmares

DISCLAIMER: This is a non-profit work of fan fiction. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic © Hasbro.

Chapter 5

There I stood in pure agonizing paralyzed horror. A few of the cartoon ponies looked at me from their desks for a moment, and then went back to taking out their paper, pencils and textbooks from their... ugh, saddlebags. And yes, each saddlebag had a clasp that matched their cutie marks.

A nudge from Twilight helped me regain the feeling in my skin, and I stepped forward, staring at each pony as I slowly went by and slipped into the one, singular empty desk next to the window.

Mr. Adams came in, still human, and saw me sitting there. "Oh, hello, David. Nice of you to come early today."

"Early?" I said, looking around at all the ponies who were now staring at me.

"You look a little pale," Mr. Adams said, "Are you feeling alright?"

"Of course!" I said a bit loud, noticing a bead of sweat rolling down my face, "Why wouldn't I be?" I'm just having a nervous mental adorable breakdown, that's all!

A few of my classmates came in and took their seats, the ponies in them evaporating away as they were sat on. The ones who were still there gasped in surprise, and even flinched or gaped before new students sat on them as well. I didn't know if I should be laughing or weeping at he sight of little ponies bursting under unsuspecting human butts.

Twilight seemed totally indifferent at this sight, and instead took her seat in the aisle next to me, conveniently blocking the open side of my chair. I knew she wasn't real, but I also knew I could feel her touch. To try and step out through her would probably cause me to trip.

"Well, alright then," Mr. Adams said, "Welcome class. As you all know, season finals are coming up, so today, we'll be reviewing for them." He started writing equations on the board for us to copy and solve.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but talking ponies running around in your head tend to distract from these things, but in case anyone's wondering what class I'm taking specifically, it's pre-trig. That's just a fancy way of saying I was taking calculus all over again. Same stuff I already did in high school, but it was a required course.

Half an hour passed, and I noticed Twilight was glancing between her notes and mine.

"Wait, that's not right," she said, "Remember FOIL? You need to do this part first, then this one." She pointed around my work with her hoof.

I raised an eyebrow and looked at what she'd written on her cartoon parchment. We were working on polynomials, and what she'd written was different than mine. I wasn't one to take advice from a figment of my imagination, but she was right. Her answers made much more sense than mine, and after rechecking on a calculator, I found hers to be correct.

So, I got a pony calculator in my head? Dayum!

I wrote in tiny letters on my paper, Thanks, Twi. then erased it after she read it.

"You're welcome," she said, "Look, I know you're supposed to ignore us and all, but maybe we could work something out? Like, I could help you study or something?"

I thought for a moment, then wrote, We'll talk after school, OK? then erased that too.

"OK," she said with a nod, sounding rather relieved, "Because, to be honest, this is weird for us too."

I stopped writing and stared blankly at my desk. How could I not have thought about that? Sure, they may be figments, but did figments have feelings too? And what if they felt lost here in this strange world, bound to someone they didn't know? A pang of guilt set in as I looked at Twilight.

She actually looked sad, hanging her head down with her parchment on the floor.

I wanted to ask her if she still thought she was real, but I wasn't that insensitive. I mean, yeah, I made Fluttershy cry (get off my back about that) but I wasn't going to press that issue any further. Besides, I was sort of thankful for her being here. That and she was my fave of the mane six.

If they really were trapped like Twilight implied, then maybe by getting them out of my head, I'd be helping them too. With that in mind, I felt a lot less selfish now.


Twilight ran ahead of me to gather the girls up for our talk. Don't ask me what that was supposed to mean. I was just glad for the peace and quiet as I walked back to my apartment.

My room mate wasn't home yet; he worked the night shift at 7-11 from, get this, 7 to 11. He only had morning classes, which allowed him to sleep during the day. As a result, we rarely had time to see each other, so I can't honestly say we were close.

I kicked off my shoes and sat on the sofa, exhaling heavily. Sitting on the floor, and looking at me expectantly, was Twilight, Pinkie, Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity.

Wait a second... one, two, three... there's only five. "Where's Applejack?" I asked.

"We don't know," said Dash, "She never showed up."

"How is that even possible? You guys are all..." I saw Fluttershy's face, and didn't want to upset her again, "...usually together, right?"

"That's the thing, dear," Rarity said, "We were all together when this whole mess started. I actually thought I was dreaming when I woke up and saw you getting into the shower."

"Wait, you thought..." I pinched the bridge of my nose, "OK, back up a bit. Somepony please explain to me what happened before you ended up in my head."

Twilight cleared her throat and stepped forward. "It all happened when we were having a slumber party with Princess Luna..."

Author's Note:

If you'd like to support my writing, please visit my site!