• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 3,120 Views, 88 Comments

Waking Nightmares - Kelvin Shadewing



A college student deals with halucinations of the pony kind.

  • ...
2
 88
 3,120

Chapter 6

Waking Nightmares

DISCLAIMER: This is a non-profit work of fan fiction. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic © Hasbro.

Chapter 6

"Wait, why were you having a slumber party with Luna?" I asked.

"Because she hadn't had one in over a thousand years," Twilight said flatly, "Now if you please, hold still." The unicorn put her hooves on my knees and brought her face really close to mine.

I tensed up. "Uh, what are you doing?"

"This will all be easier if I just show you." Her horn lit up as she touched it to my forehead.

The purple light filled my vision and grew brighter and brighter. In moments, my vision was filled with ultraviolet light. When the light finally subsided, I wasn't in my living room anymore. It was a very fancy-looking room, decorated in dark shades of blue and stars, moons and other celestial bodies. And, no, I don't mean a bunch of Celestia's floating in space, although that would be an interesting way to express any bitterness for being banished to the moon, assuming Luna harbored such feelings.

There were seven ponies with us in what I determined to be Luna's bedroom: the mane six and Luna herself. Luna was laying on her bed with her forelegs tucked under her chest, while the other ponies were resting on sleeping bags on the floor in a semi-circle around her.

I stepped close to Luna and waved my hand in front of her. No response. I knew this was Twilight's memory, or at least my subconscious claimed so, so I wasn't gonna get a rise out of her anyway. Though it still amused me to try.

"OK, I got one," Rainbow Dash said, "Luna, truth or dare."

"Hmm..." Luna tapped her chin in thought, "Dare."

"OK," Rainbow Dash said with her most mischievious grin, "If Discord ever breaks out of his statue again, I dare you to ask him out."

Luna gasped, looking taken aback. "We could never do that! We refuse to offer courtship to the spirit of chaos!"

"I'm sorry, Luna," Twilight said, pointing at a line in her sleepover book, "but the rules say that you chose the dare, so you have to keep it."

Luna opened her mouth to protest, but it would be un-princess-like to go back on her decision like that.

"Technically, dear," Rarity chimed in, "you don't have to do it unless that ruffian, Discord, escapes again. And what are the chances of that happening again?"

I got a funny chill just before a flash outside caught my and everypony else's attention. It was shortly followed by a roll of thunder.

"Sounds like that storm is gettin' awful close. Y'all sure it's safe to be havin' somethin' this big 'round the castle?" Applejack was looking out over the castle grounds, being closest to the window.

"Tis nothing to fret over," said Luna, waving a hoof dismissively.

As she did this, a menacing chuckle echoed through the room. "Oh, but it is, my dear princess." I knew that voice. John de Lancie! No, wait...

"Discord?!" they all said in united surprise.

"Ah! Discord!" I said aloud and snapped my fingers, even though nopony could hear me.

His chuckle rolled through the room like another bout of thunder. "Why yes, I believe you are correct." A multi-colored mist swept in and formed the body of the draconequus on the floor in the middke of the pony circle, but he was smaller than normal.

Standing next to him, I was able to look him in his mismatched eyes. He startled me when he glanced in my direction, looking confused at first before grinning. Did he just see me?

Discord slinked over to Luna and rested his elbow on the soft bed. "Well, hello there, dear Luna! Long time, no see~!" he sing-songed. Tracing a finger on his lion paw under her chin, he put his face against her. "I believe you have something to ask of me? Hm?"

Luna swung her muzzle away from him and looked at him scornfully. "Yes, two in fact. How did you get free? And what are you going to do?"

"Well, as everypony knows, I am a spirit of chaos," he said cheerfully and floated on a cloud of cream cheese, "and the strangest thing has just happened. So strange in fact, that even I am surprised!"

"Well, don't keep us in suspense," Twilight spat.

"Ugh, so boring, as always. You really are Tia's favorite student, aren't you?" Discord teased the unicorn's nose with his bird talon and swirled around the mane six. "But if you must know... nothing happened."

"Nothing?" Applejack said with her head tilted.

"Nothing!" Discord chanted back, disappearing into thin air. "It's no matter of circumstance. I was brought here!"

By who? I wondered. I looked from pony to pony and noticed something off: Pinkie Pie was looking right at me.

"I'll bet he did it!" She was pointing her hoof at me now.

"Uh, who?" Dash asked.

"That guy!" Pinkie said, jutting her hoof at me to reiterate where she was pointing.

Discord laughed. "Oh, but of course he did!"

I looked around, starting to panic.

Discord was on the other side of the room now, also looking at me. "Oh, but that's right! Only Pinkie Pie can see humans... hmm... I'll bet you all wish you could see him too!"

"See who?" Twilight shouted, "There's nopony there!"

"That's because he's not a pony!" Pinkie squeaked.

"Enough games, Discord! If you have someone hidden here, show him to us!" Luna commanded.

Discord rubbed his paw amd talon together, chuckling maliciously. "Oh, I'll let you see him. I'll even let you meet him! But only if Luna keeps her promise..."

"O-our promise?" Luna stammered.

Discord just grinned at her. "Why yes. Everypony must follow the rules of the game." Then he looked at me again. "By the way, you just lost."

"You troll," I said, folding my arms.

Luna cringed and blushed hotly. "Y-you mean... the dare?"

Discord grinned and nodded quickly.

The princess gulped. I leaned in closer; weird as this was, I just couldn't miss it. "Discord... w-would you... like to go out with me?"

The draconequus began to giggle which escalated into pure maniacal cackling. He fell to the floor and clutched his chest, hind legs kicking in the air. And just like that, he sat up, his face dead serious. "Lose some weight and then ask me again."

Before any of us could react, Discord snapped his fingers, and Luna's bedroom was replaced in a blink with mine. The ponies were now gathered around me as I slept. Well, it was the past me, not me, me.

As the sun began to rise, the memory faded. Didn't matter. I knew what happened after that anyway.

Author's Note:

If you'd like to support my writing, please visit my site!