• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 1,885 Views, 91 Comments

Quantum Starlight - Rambling Writer



Time is breaking down, and it's up to Starlight and Sunburst to fix it.

  • ...
3
 91
 1,885

3 - The Number One Killer is Time

Streamhaven University, October 9
8:18 PM — 1 minute after the Fracture in Time

Starlight toppled down the hatch and smashed her head against the walkway below. Stars swam in her vision; she blinked to clear it, but it didn’t help. And with the alarms still blaring, concentration was hard.

Sunburst was still at the top of the ladder. His horn glowed and the gap between the hatch and the frame vanished as the two pieces of metal sealed together. “Should delay them,” he muttered. He rubbed his head. “Ow, that aches.”

Wobbling, Starlight stood up. The floor tilted wildly beneath her for a few seconds, and she had to brace herself against a wall. “Sunburst,” she gasped, “what… what just happened?” Her head was throbbing, and she had to think for every word.

“I, I don’t know,” he muttered. He started pacing at the bottom of the ladder. “Okay, it, all the, I don’t-” He swallowed. “Let’s, let’s just get out of here.”

“Sounds like a plan,” mumbled Starlight. She rubbed her head. “Gaow, that-” She blinked a few times and her vision cleared up a little more. They were in a maintenance area, a lot less nice-looking than the cleanliness of the time machine above. It was a tangled mess of wires, pipes, and scaffolding holding up the time machine. Red lights pulsed in alarm.

“If you need help,” Sunburst said quickly, “I can-”

A unicorn stepped into view around a corner. He was wearing a military-style uniform, and a balaclava hid his face. He twitched in surprise when he saw Starlight and Sunburst, then yelled, “Hey!” His horn glowed and he fired a bolt of magic at Sunburst.

It was like a shot to the heart. “No!” Starlight yelled. Time seemed to slow as she jumped in front of Sunburst, trying to conjure a shield. It didn’t work; her head still hurt too much to use magic. This was it for her, then. What a way to go, killed in a physics experiment gone wrong. She almost wanted to see the look on Twilight’s face when she got the news. Almost. At least Sunburst would still be okay. For the next few seconds. That was something. Not much, but something.

Starlight closed her eyes and waited for the end.

It didn’t come.

She waited.

It didn’t come.

She waited.

It didn’t come.

…Time was supposed to speed up again, right? It was all in her head, and her head could only take so much… Right?

Starlight opened her eyes.

Time had not sped back up. The bolts hung there in the air, moving forward at a pace a lethargic snail encased in a block of ice would find slow. Starlight could see every little filament running around each bolt, pulsing softly and twisting about. She moved her head from side to side, just be sure her perception wasn’t skewed somehow. It wasn’t; she moved at a normal speed. She seemed to be in some kind of hazy blue sphere that definitely wasn’t magic. On the other side of the walkway, the trooper was standing there, moving normally and probably slack-jawed behind his balaclava.

Sunburst, said some part of her head. He was behind her, wasn’t he? She whipped around, and there he was, sloooooooowly recoiling from the incoming magic. Starlight’s brain kicked back into high gear, completely clear of headaches, and she tackled him to the ground. The blue sphere broke and the magic missiles sped up again, shooting over her shoulder as she and Sunburst fell to the floor.

The moment she felt steel under her hooves, Starlight rolled onto her back and fired a blast of magic at the trooper. He didn’t react in time and caught it full in the chest; he was thrown against the wall and crumpled to the ground, out cold.

She lay there on the ground, panting. That hadn’t been magic. She’d been too panicked to cast any. And even if she hadn’t, it definitely didn’t look like any magic she knew (and that was a lot). What was going on? What did she do? That had been her, right?

“Uh, Starlight?” asked Sunburst. “How did- What did you just-” He swallowed. “Come on, we, we gotta move.” He pushed himself up on trembling legs. “There’s, there’s a maintenance room nearby we should be able to get out through.” He set off at an uneasy walk.

Starlight slowly stood up and followed Sunburst. Her mind was burning with questions, but she didn’t think Sunburst knew any better than she did.

They turned a few corners and were faced with an unassuming pair of doors. Ordinary doors, not big and imposing ones like the one up top. Beside it was mounted a keypad. “Okay,” muttered Sunburst. He started punching numbers into the keypad. “01122.”

The keypad bzzrped in a way Starlight didn’t like. “Uh, Sunburst?”

Sunburst waved her off. “I… must’ve… put it in wrong,” he said, convincing neither of them. “Let, let me try again. Zero… one one… two two.”

Bzzrp.

“They, they’ve locked me out,” Sunburst said in disbelief. “They, no. They, they can’t do that. This is my code, only Serene or I can change it! It, it worked just fine an hour ago, and… gah!” He smashed his hoof into the keypad, then jumped away with a yelp, shaking it. “That-” he hissed in pain, “did- not- help!”

“Let me try.” Starlight said. She pulled her back legs in, then bucked the door with all her might. They slammed open easily, banging hard against the wall. The room beyond was devoted to a bunch of steel racks encased in glass with wires running from them. They ran from wall to wall (in fact, the walls were even more racks), leaving only a wide aisle between them to get through the room. The shelves were tightly spaced, only an inch or two apart, and they were all filled with crystals. But in some of them, the glass had been shattered and the crystals inside smashed. Shards of gems littered the floor, glinting up towards the ceiling.

Sunburst’s eyes widened. “Oh no… Oh no no no no no…”

“Sunb-”

But Sunburst already knew what she was asking. “This room, it, it was a failsafe to keep the bending of spacetime from getting too severe. All these crystals, they regulated the flow of electricity to the core, kept it from getting too high, and… and somepony destroyed them!” He started walking around. “It’s, I mean, look at this. The glass was broken from the outside, this wasn’t an accident. Somepony deliberately ripped these crystals out, and destroyed them, and…” He crouched down next to the wall at one rack. “They, they even burned a hole in the wall! Why would they do that? But then, why would sabotage time travel in the first place? And how would they know?”

“So what does it mean if your failsafes failed?” Which sounded really strange, but oh well.

Sunburst stood up. “An overcharge in the core beyond what it was supposed to handle caused an unstable, expanding timelike discontinuity in the Neigher-Joy fi-”

“Equestrian, please?”

Sunburst groaned, then said, “Too much electricity went into the core, so, so it overloaded and bent spacetime beyond our calcu-”

“Actually, screw Equestrian, do you speak Normal Pony?”

Sunburst shot her a stinkeye. “Explosion make time go bad!” he hissed.

“Fine. That’ll do for now.”

“It better,” grumbled Sunburst. “You know, even undergrads know this stuff. Undergrads.” He whirled on Starlight and bellowed, “UUUUUNDEEEEERGRAAAAADS!

“Well, I’m not an undergrad, so can you please try to remember that?”

“Hey! Excuuuuuuuse me for not being able to readjust to the laypony after a month of working with ponies who know what I’m talking about when I use big words!” snapped Sunburst. He rubbed his head. “This, it’s, look, I’m a bit stressed right now, an-”

“Did you hear something?”

Starlight and Sunburst both froze, and their gazes snapped to the exit door. There was somepony outside.

“No. You?”

“Maybe. Might not’ve. Probably should check it out anyway, though.”

“Yep.”

Starlight and Sunburst stared at each other. “Hide,” whispered Starlight. They both dove behind a rack, the one with the burnt-out hole on the end, and held their breaths.

Hoofsteps came from the doorway. So did voices. “Weren’t Monarch One and Raider One supposed to secure the failsafe room?”

“Yeah. They haven’t checked back yet, though.”

Starlight looked at Sunburst and mouthed, Monarch? What was a tech company doing, invading a university? Sunburst just shrugged; he knew as little as Starlight.

From the sounds of their hoofsteps, the soldiers had entered the room. Starlight nudged Sunburst and pointed at the hole. He nodded and, quiet as he could, crept into the hole. Starlight followed and found herself in some kind of crawlspace, clearly not meant for pony access. She and Sunburst were crammed in between two pieces of arcane machinery, so tightly they had to awkwardly balance on their rear hooves to fit in sideways. Sunburst was already shuffling away from the hole.

Balance had never been one of Starlight’s strong points, and even bracing herself, she felt unsteady as she moved sideways into the gap, step by step. Then one of her hooves slipped on a piece of crystal and banged into a piece of rebar. She bit back a scream, both at the pain and the sound.

Sunburst twitched. “Are you oka-”

“What was that?”

Starlight and Sunburst looked each other and went stock-still. Starlight had to actively will herself to stop breathing heavily.

“Behind the side racks?”

“Yeah.” Unicorn magelight softly pulsed through the gaps in between the racks. Beads of sweat ran down Starlight’s muzzle, and her heart pounded in her head. “Can’t see a thing,” the soldier said eventually. “Gonna have to crawl back there.”

Sunburst’s eyes went wide. “Ffffffffuuuuuuu…” he whispered.

A different voice echoed down the hallway beyond the door. “Target spotted in the service elevator! Withdraw!”

“Scratch that. Let’s move.” Hoofsteps left the room, quickly fading to nothing. Even then, Starlight and Sunburst held their breaths for another few moments.

“…udge,” Sunburst finished. He hesitated for a second, then nudged Starlight back towards the hole, and soon they’d flopped back into the room.

They looked at each other for a moment. Eventually, Starlight said, “Monarch’s behind all this?”

“It, it would seem that way,” said Sunburst. “But, but why? I mean- if they just wanted the, the time machine, they could’ve- They funded this, they could tell us to set it up in a certain place, and it- It just doesn’t make any sense.” He thumped his head a few times. “Let’s, let’s just get out of here. Elevator’s no good, but, uh, there’s a staircase nearby we can take, take up.” He swallowed. “I hope.”

They passed through a doorway that looked like the same kind of door up top, but then, it wouldn’t do to have any exit be easily compromised. Except that this doorway hadn't been forced open at all; everything was still intact. Starlight looked at it for a moment, then turned to Sunburst and opened her mouth. Sunburst gave some kind of groaning scream and made a “zip it” gesture. Starlight closed her mouth. The hallways beyond looked like the kind only meant for maintenance ponies, all bare walls and concrete floors. Signs helpfully pointed the way to the staircase (away from the service elevator, Starlight noted with relief), and the two had raced to it in no time.

Starlight poked her head up the stairwell, but didn’t see any soldiers. “Just up here?” she asked.

“Yeah,” replied Sunburst. “It, it should just take us straight to, to the-” He paused, but didn’t continue. At first, Starlight waited for him to go on, but after several seconds, she was done waiting. She pulled out of the stairwell and turned to Sunburst, only for him to start talking again. “-lobby, and from there, we can why are you looking at me like that?”

“What was that for?”

“What, what was what for?”

“You just stopped for a moment!”

Sunburst tilted his head. “What, you mean, stopped talking? No, I didn’t.”

“You did!” protested Starlight. “You were talking, and you stopped mid-sentence, and th-”

Sunburst blanched and he pushed his glasses up his muzzle. “That wasn’t me, Starlight,” he whispered. “That was time.”

“Time stopped,” said Starlight skeptically. “Really. But not for me?”

“Well, I, I don’t know why,” Sunburst mumbled, kneading his front hooves together. “It’s got something to do with the time machine, but I, I don’t- Let’s keep moving.”

“But I-” But Sunburst was already halfway up the stairs. Starlight rolled her eyes and followed.

They were only a single story below the lobby. Starlight cracked open the door and peered outside. There. The exit was right there. But there were soldiers patrolling it. Over half a dozen. They were all looking outside, probably to keep anypony from entering, but there was no way she and Sunburst were getting out that way.

Starlight ducked inside the stairwell. “Guards,” she whispered. “Any other ideas?”

“W-well, um, there’s a, an emergency exit not far from here,” Sunburst said. “But I don’t-”

“I’ll see what it’s like,” said Starlight. “Maybe we can get out that way. You, stay here, okay?”

“Heh.” Sunburst pushed his glasses up. “Not arguing.”

Starlight left the stairwell as quietly as she could. Magic helped a lot, but she still walked on tiptoe. Perfect silence. Light as a feather.

But not invisible. Just as Starlight was quietly letting out a breath, a soldier right next to the exit twitched as he noticed her in his peripheral vision, then snapped his head to look at her. Starlight panicked and tried to back up, her hooves screeching on the slick linoleum as she prayed for him to stop.

No luck. “I se-” And then the soldier’s yell just stopped, as a hazy blue sphere blossomed around him, like it had below the time machine. He was frozen. But his yell had attracted the attention of other soldiers, and they were already turning towards her, readying their magic or crossbows. Starlight dove behind the receptionist’s desk, barely two dozen feet from the exit, as the first attacks streaked overhead.

The soldier unfroze. “-e her!” And then his bolt joined the rest of the fusillade.

“Target is chronon-active!” another soldier yelled. More than yelled; she screamed it, sounding borderline scared. “Target is chronon-active!

More time stuff. Great. But Starlight was barely processing it. She grabbed Sunburst’s tail in her magic and yanked him over to her. Several blasts of magic hit the counter, throwing up debris and eating large chunks out of it. Starlight quickly conjured a shield; at least if the counter disintegrated, they wouldn’t be sitting ducks.

The soldiers didn’t let up, slinging more magic and quarrels their way. “Drop the shield, Glimmer!” one of them yelled.

Starlight flinched as another magic missile ricocheted off said shield. “Then stop shooting at us!” she yelled back.

The only response was yet another crossbow bolt.

“Any ideas?” Starlight asked Sunburst.

“No,” Sunburst said, shaking his head. “But if w-”

Everything abruptly stopped. Silence, except for a few weird echoes. A bolt that had missed Starlight’s shield hung in the air. Starlight chanced a look over the counter. The soldiers were all frozen. She looked to her side. So was Sunburst. She cautiously waved her hoof in front of his face. “Sunburst?” No response. She was alone in here.

Well… maybe not. She’d gotten him moving again earlier, hadn’t she? Maybe she could do it again. She laid a hoof on him and… tried to draw him back in. Get him going. She wasn’t sure what she was trying, but she tried it.

Sunburst suddenly started up again, talking like nothing had happened. “-e don’t get out of h-” He stopped and flicked his ears. “Why’s it so quiet?”

“Uh… time’s stopped. Again.”

Sunburst blinked and poked his head above the counter. “Ah. Stutter.” He coughed. “Let’s… let’s take advantage of this and move, okay? We don’t want to be here when the stutter collapses.”

“Uh… okay.” The two of them started walking for the exit. Starlight slowed, staring at one of the frozen unicorns, right in the middle of slinging some spell. “Sunburst, what is go-”

“Starlight,” Sunburst said solidly, not looking at her, “shut up. This is not the time, so shut up. We, we need to get as far away from this place as we can. Once we do, we, I’ll tell you everything I can. Until then, shut. Up.

Starlight bit back her response. Mainly because he was right. She desperately wanted to know just what the heck was going on, but for now, she held her tongue.

Outside, Monarch soldiers had set up a perimeter of some kind around the physics building and looked to be warning passers-by away. Distorted voices slipped into and out of audibility, and it was hard to tell what they were saying. The sky was streaked with star paths like a long-exposure photograph. But Starlight and Sunburst didn’t spare a moment. They ducked around the soldiers and started galloping away from the university, away from the paramilitary force hunting them down.

When time started up again, they were well away, but they kept running.


Streamhaven, October 9
8:51 PM — 34 minutes after the Fracture in Time

They found their way to an alley, well away from the university. They collapsed against the wall behind a dumpster, out of casual view from the street. The night was cold and drafty, the ground was hard and wet, and the air was clammy and smelly. But it was safe for the moment, and that was what mattered.

Her body was spent, but Starlight’s mind was screaming by at a mile a minute. Just what in Celestia’s name was going on? Time was breaking? How could you break time? The butterfly effect didn’t give two craps about some puny little equines. And what was Monarch doing there? Why were they attacking all the scientists? How could they come in at the exact moment everything went to Tartarus? And what was up wi-

Sunburst coughed. “Um, S-Starlight?”

Starlight’s train of thought was so thoroughly derailed it took her several moments for the use of her name to fully register. She turned to Sunburst and blinked dully at him. It was all she had energy for at the moment.

“H-hey, I’m…” Sunburst’s voice was very quiet and he was determined to not look at her. “B-back in the university, I’m… I’m sorry for… for the things I said. Th-the way I treated you after, after everything went d-down. It’s, I was stressed, and-”

The only reason Starlight took as long to interrupt as she did was because her mind was still processing everything else. “Hey,” she said, “don’t worry about it. I get it.” She waved a hoof vaguely and went back to staring at the ground, trying t-

“W-what, just like that?” asked Sunburst, turning towards her. “B-but I-”

“-said some nasty things, yeah.” Starlight draped a foreleg over Sunburst’s shoulder and pulled him close. He flinched, but didn’t try to pull away. “But that was hardly a normal time, was it?” She tried to grin at him and deflate the tension a little. She didn’t know if it worked. “I mean, the experiment you spent months working on exploded — actually, physically, literally exploded — and then an armed paramilitary group tried to kidnap you. I’d be a little stressed, too. Actually, I should probably be the one apologizing to you.”

“Why?” Sunburst’s voice was steadier.

“Because we were in the middle of running for our lives, and I decided that was the best time to quiz you on time stuff and get all the answers.”

“Chronodynamics, if, if you want to get technical.”

“Yeah. That.” Starlight squeezed Sunburst slightly. “The point is, I picked the absolute worst time to do all that. You snapping at me is completely justified.”

“But…” Sunburst pushed his glasses up his muzzle. “B-but I-”

“Look. We both made mistakes. We both regret them. Let’s just drop it, okay?”

After a few seconds, Sunburst nodded. “Okay.”

They sat in the dank, muddy alley in silence for several moments, resting against each other and still trying to take it all in. For Starlight, it wasn’t working. Every avenue she went down just opened up more questions. She needed some answers. Just a few would be good.

Sunburst looked up at the sky. “You and I should, should probably split up,” he said. “They’re, they’re probably looking for me since I’ve got, got a major role in the creation of the time machine. But you’re just some, just some random mare who happened to be in the room at the same time. You, you leave me, and you’ll be able to get aw-”

“No.”

“What?”

“No. I’m staying with you.” For Starlight, anything else was completely out of the question. “I won’t just leave you to get hunted down. I’m staying with you.”

“Starlight, you, you can still escape if y-”

“I’m. Staying. With you. End of discussion.”

His face was nervous, but Sunburst’s eyes lit up. And why wouldn’t they? If he was feeling anything like what Starlight was feeling, he was probably scared out of his wits. He needed somepony by his side. Sunburst smiled a little. “Thanks.”

“What’re friends for?”

Silence for another few seconds. Starlight finally managed to get a coherent thought together and act instead of react. “So, um, what exactly happened in there? How did explosion make time go bad?”

Sunburst cringed. “You’re never going to let me live that down, are you?”

“Probably not.”

“Heh. Now, this is complicated, but we’ve got time, so j- Um, pun not intended. But just, just try and stay with me.” Sunburst sighed and ran a hoof through his mane. “You remember the Neigher-Joy field, right? And chronons?”

“Yeah. The field produces chronons, which make time go.”

“Close enough. Now, as best as I can tell, thanks to the destruction of the failsafes, the experiment caused a, uh…” Sunburst chewed his lip. “Basically a rip in the Neigher-Joy field. A fracture in time. And now, because of that, chronons aren’t being produced properly. So time’s stuttering. And eventually, it will end.” He swallowed. “Yeah. We broke time.”

“Uh-huh.” Hearing from Sunburst now, when he was calm and collected, didn’t make it sound any less stupid. “And how does time end?” Starlight asked, unable to keep the skepticism out of her voice.

“By ending,” Sunburst said. “Everything, everywhere, it just stops. Forever.”

“Stops.”

“Yeah. Nothing moves. Nothing changes. It’s, it’s all frozen like that. Time ends.”

“But everywhere? How’s that possible?”

Sunburst chewed his lip again. “Okay, now, again, please, try to stick with me, because this is going to get complicated. Again. Most fields you’re familiar with are spacelike. They may change through time, but they’re largely defined by their intensity in space. The Neigher-Joy field, on the other hoof, is, it’s timelike. It’s defined by how it changes in time, not in space. It’s…” He thumped his forehead a few times. “It’s like how nine o’clock here is still nine o’clock on the other side of town. It doesn’t matter where you are in space, it’s still nine o’clock.”

It clicked for Starlight. Mostly. There were still some gaps, but she thought she got it. “So what you’re saying is now here-” She pointed at the ground. “-is now over there-” She pointed to the end of the alley. “-is now in Canterlot is now in Vanhoover. Right?”

“Yeah! Yeah,” Sunburst said, nodding quickly. “Exactly.”

“So it doesn’t matter that we broke time here in Streamhaven, time here is time everywhere, so we broke time everywhere.”

“Yessss!” whispered Sunburst. “Precisely right. And, um, really really bad.”

“And the time machine core broke time by bending it too far and snapping it like a rubber band.”

Sunburst beamed. “See? It all makes sense. It’s, um, kind of a terrible thing to happen, but it makes sense.”

That was the Sunburst Starlight knew. The one who could explain things well and got really excited when you got it. She was still a bit weirded out by the whole “time breaking” thing, but it was at least easier to swallow. Still, there were some other things she had questions about. “So what’s going on with me?” She looked at her hooves. “How come all of a sudden I can freeze time?”

“I, I’m not sure. I suspect your close proximity to the core at the moment of discharge resulted in a large dose of, um, chronon radiation, altering your connection to the universal Neigher-Joy field in some way and allowing you to manipulate it.”

Starlight blinked at him.

“You got hit real bad by the timey-wimey rays and got time powers,” muttered Sunburst.

“That’s not very descriptive.”

“Look, I, I don’t know what’s going on with you,” Sunburst said, waving his hooves around. “I’m just guessing. This sort of thing has never, never happened before. I don’t even know where to begin.”

“Oh.” Whether the explanation involved chronon radiation or timey-wimey rays, it was a bunch of gobbledegook to Starlight.

“Is there, um, is there any chance you can do it again? Just, I don’t know…” Sunburst scooped up a smashed cup from the ground. A little bit of water still lay in the bottom. “Freeze this in the air?”

“I can try.” Starlight rolled her shoulders and tried to block out all magic from her mind. “Pull.”

Sunburst bit his lip, nodded, and tossed the cup into the air. Starlight followed it with her eyes and willed it to stop, to stay in the air, to not m-

Suddenly, her head was pounding. A small hazy blue sphere had sprouted around the cup, several shades darker than her own magic, and the cup itself, as well as the water flying out, had just stopped. Even the motes of dust inside the sphere were completely motionless, free of the bobbing of levitation.

“Ohhhhhhhh, stars,” whispered Sunburst. “That, that, wow. That just, wow. Wow.

Starlight didn’t know what to say. It wasn’t magic, but… It was surreal, knowing she’d stopped that cup and yet she hadn’t done it with magic. Seriously strange things were ahoof.

“That’s cool,” whispered Sunburst, walking around the cup. He was grinning from ear to ear. “I don’t know what the heck is going on, but that is so cool. You, you’re like an X-Mare.”

The sphere broke and the cup and water fell to the ground, continuing on their route like they hadn’t stopped. Now that she wasn’t under attack, Starlight couldn’t help but agree that freezing time like that was cool. It gave her headaches, but, yeah, it was cool. “Then I need some villains to fight and some ponies to punch.”

“Aren’t you the, um, the protégé of the Princess of Friendship? Where does punching ponies come into that?”

“Ask her. We punched for a bit, and now we’re friends.” Starlight frowned a bit as she thought. “Actually, whenever there’s been a bad guy in the past few years who’s posed a threat to an area greater than a town, she’s punched them and that seems to work.”

Sunburst cocked his head and flicked his ears. “…You know, you’re right. Maybe Princess Twilight just, just loves and tolerates the crap out of them.”

“That is what the Elements of Harmony do, I guess.”

Silence.

“So what’re we gonna do now?” Starlight asked. “If time’s breaking, can we do anything about it? Or are we just going to sit and wait for the end?”

“Um, hypothetically, we, we might be able to fix it.”

Starlight blinked. “Seriously?

“It’s, it’s a guess,” Sunburst said quickly. “If, if we can apply a large dosage of chronons to the Neigher-Joy field, we can close the fracture and get time running at a constant rate again. M-maybe.”

Blah blah technobabble blah. All that mattered to Starlight was that they could fix time. (Which was still a lot to wrap her head around.) “So what do we need?”

“Well, um,” Sunburst said, pushing his glasses up, “what we really need is somepony who, uh, who knows time forwards and backwards so, so they can help us. My, my first, and really, um, only choice would be my colleagues, but they’re, uh, kinda… indisposed.” He shuddered and whispered, “Celestia, I hope they’re okay. Anyway, I don’t have any other options, so, uh, I really really hope you know somepony who’s good with time.”

Against all odds, Starlight did. A certain brown, spikey-maned pony. “Actually…”