• Published 4th Sep 2016
  • 1,401 Views, 29 Comments

(Almost) The Next Generation - Sapphire Rose 12



How did it all happen? How did some of the Mane 6 find their spouses? How did the Cutie Mark Crusaders stay so close after these long 10 years? How did they... expose Rarity is being cheated on by her special somepony, Glowing Gem?

  • ...
7
 29
 1,401

Chapter 7: Tonight Will Be The Night That I Will Fall For You

In the midst of her confusion, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie came up to greet her.

"Hey, Flutters," Rainbow Dash said. "I barely got to see you last week. Soarin and I were decorating our house to match our style and we were busy filling it with groceries and the like. I missed you."

"How are you?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I'm... confused," Fluttershy admitted.

"Oh, come sit with us! We'll help you sort it out!" Pinkie Pie invited.

Fluttershy went over to sit at a table with Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

"So, what's bothering you?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Well, Discord started asking me a question... and he never finished it," Fluttershy explained.

"What do you mean?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"He started with the words 'Would you', but then trailed off," Fluttershy continued. "He said 'Oh, never mind! Of course you wouldn't! No one would!'. Before I could stop him, he teleported away."

"Wow..." Pinkie Pie said. "That is confusing!"

"Interesting choice of words from him, though," Rainbow Dash said.

"I guess we just can't crack the case," claimed Pinkie Pie.

"Yeah..." Fluttershy said, trailing off in dismay.

There was a beat of silence. Then, Pinkie Pie broke the silence.

"One question though, Fluttershy," Pinkie Pie said.

"Yes?" Fluttershy asked.

"Do you like Discord?" Pinkie Pie inquired.

"As a friend?" said Fluttershy, confused.

"No, do you like like Discord?" Pinkie Pie asked, with a teasing smile creeping across her face.

Rainbow Dash nodded, in agreement.

"No, I just like him as a friend," Fluttershy said. But, she blushed a little and her friends were onto her.

Pinkie Pie gasped in excitement. "You totally like him!" she exclaimed.

"No! Discord and I are just friends!" Fluttershy protested, blushing.

"M-hm," Pinkie Pie said, unconvinced. "Friends," she said making air quotes.

"What?!" Fluttershy exclaimed.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash burst out laughing.

"Girls!!" Fluttershy got up and slammed her hooves on the table. "Stop that behavior right now!!!"

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash looked at her, shocked.

"Oh, girls," Fluttershy said, sitting down quickly. "I'm so, so, so sorry for my little outburst. Forgive me."

"We're not mad at all. It's okay," Pinkie Pie said.

"I was to embarrassed to say it but..." Fluttershy paused. "I do like Discord as more than a friend. I try not to show it, but after the tea party where he made laugh about his confusion to Zecora's rhyming... that's when I started to feel more than friendship towards him. I just didn't want you to think I'm crazy."

"We don't," Rainbow Dash said to Fluttershy's surprise. "Fluttershy, love comes in all species, shapes, and sizes. Your feelings for Discord are normal."

"You... understand?" asked a surprised Fluttershy.

"Of course we do!" Rainbow Dash said. "Spike likes Rarity!"

That was a good point. They all laughed, Fluttershy from feeling relieved.

"I just feel so bad that it didn't work out between them," Fluttershy said, referring to Spike and Rarity. "Spike tried so hard to win her heart."

"I definitely think Spike still has lingering feelings for Rarity," Rainbow Dash said. "That's why he came tonight. He's with Twilight at the meet and greet, though."

"Love is so complicated..." Pinkie Pie said. "Unless you love chocolate! Then, it's not complicated at all!"

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy giggled.

At that moment, Twilight stepped up onto the stage. "Hello, guests! I think Spike and I have greeted everyone tonight! Now, it's time for dancing. This first dance will be a slow dance for the couples. Sweetie Belle wrote it!"

They clapped as Twilight got off the stage and the Cutie Mark Crusaders took her place. They had to prepare their instruments before playing the song, so there was a wait.

Applejack was sitting at a table. Apple Buck came up to her. "Howdy, Applejack!" he said.

Applejack turned to see him. "Oh, hi, Apple Buck!" she said, lightening up.

"I was just wondering... if you'd like to slow dance with me," Apple Buck said.

"I'd love to," Applejack said, with no hesitation.

Apple Buck led Applejack onto the dancefloor. Discord only watched them, sadly. Fluttershy came to comfort him.

"What's wrong, Discord?" Fluttershy asked.

"I wish I could slow dance with someone," Discord said. "Look at all the happy couples."

Fluttershy looked among her friends all paired with somepony, but her.

"Well, what's stopping you?" Fluttershy asked.

"Fluttershy, look at this! Look at me!" Discord exclaimed. "Who would ever ask..." He motioned to himself. "This to dance?"

Fluttershy shyly offered him her hoof. "I would."

"You... would?" Discord said, hopefully.

Fluttershy nodded. They walked to the dancefloor together.

"You've slow danced before, right?" Fluttershy said.

"No," Discord said. "Again, no one but you would ask me to dance."

"Discord," Fluttershy said with a giggle. "It's simple. For beginners, it's just a step from side to side."

She demonstrated for him holding his claw and paw, moving them side to side.

"Side to side, side to side, side to side..." Fluttershy said, teaching him.

As soon as Discord began to get the hang of it, Sweetie Belle began to sing:

"Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you

Over again

Don't make me change my mind

Or I won't live to see another day

I swear it's true

Cause someone like you is impossible to find

Impossible to find..."

They danced the whole song. They began to feel as if there was no one there, but them. They giggled and laughed together, ocassionally.

When the song was over, Fluttershy surprised Discord with a warm embrace. Discord was surprised, but then embraced her back. It had been a great night, they realized.

Author's Note:

I based the song off of my favorite song by Secondhand Serenade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtwOMcrBsg

Hope you guys are still enjoying! :pinkiesmile: