• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 6,322 Views, 168 Comments

A Lost Crystal Gem - The Story of Sunset and how she became Spinel - ratedoni



She has been on Earth for a long time, she even died to save humans once. Rose Quartz gave her a second chance to live and now she is in the biggest adventure of her life; becoming a Crystal Gem helping raise Steven and mostly having fun.

  • ...
20
 168
 6,322

I Love You, I'll Kill You

Usually, your house is your sanctuary, the place where you went to find peace and calm after long days of working or studying. It was the place you made to fit your tastes, which will truly shine and show your heart to everyone lucky enough to see it. That was the theory that Sunset Shimmer had read after making Steven’s house and she tried to bring something warm and inviting for Steven, while at the same time bring some of that beach atmosphere inside with its wood floor and white walls. The furniture was simple and it was finally decided that it would have an upstairs loft for his bed. He loved it so much that the bedroom area was now the center of all things Steven related, like gifts and little toys that he tended to collect.

Sunset’s house had also a little bit of that, but it had many other things; it had walls of cream color, insignias of the sun here and there on small statues or portraits hanging from the wall. It was her way of never forgetting her roots and where she came from, to show how important her cutie mark and her first teacher were. Even the small wind chime that she and Lapis had bought so long ago was present in the living room; the same wind chime that the blue skinned gem had on her hands.

The redheaded gem would have been ecstatic of seeing Lapis once more complete, if it weren’t for the water scythe that had been aimed at her head. The powerful weapon had struck Sunset’s light shield in a blink. Neither gem blinked while in the presence of each other.

Garnet would be at this moment focused on taking down the Homeworld Gem in a blink, or at least try to alongside the rest of the team. This was not their fight, this was not their problem, and this was Sunset’s responsibility.

“You kept the chime,” Lapis said with a small melancholic smile on her black lips as she caressed the spherical object in her hands as if it were a small pet. Her eyes showed all the emotions that the small object brought her and it would have been quite heartwarming if it weren’t because the first thing she had done once Sunset arrived at her apartment was to try to take her head.

“It was the first thing we bought together,” Sunset said pushing against the scythe; Sunset’s raised left leg tensing against the strength of the summoned water. Even after all this time, Lapis was as strong as ever, which was pretty obvious considering her abilities with water and the amount of that same liquid on a planet like Earth. With one push Sunset destroyed the water weapon, quickly getting into position to kick upwards and let two chains from the side of her metallic boots be shot in the direction of the dark gem.

Lapis reacted quickly, summoning her water wings, but instead of shooting backwards and escaping from the attack, the wings closed around her body and quickly solidified as the two chains struck the improvised shield. Lapis stood a second watching the way in which Sunset had attacked her.

“Last I saw you your chains didn’t have knives in the end,” she said as calm as ever; if anyone would have seen it they would be completely blown away by the way these two interacted. The way they talked, being so calm and almost warm truly clashed against the attacks thrown not to incapacitate, but to obliterate. It was quite the jarring situation.

“Is not a knife, it is a kunai, I’ve been practicing a bit since that day,” Sunset called back the chains, breaking a big chunk of Lapis’ shield in the process. As one the two put away their weapons and stood watching at each other for a few quiet seconds. Even after all those years, things were still the same between the two.

“You changed your clothes, I’ll miss the shorts,” the smile on Lapis showed how much she was fighting against her impulses.

“I wasn’t that partial to shorts, but that was the fashion back then, you kept the dress,” Lapis’ eyes twinkled at the words of Sunset. It was true that her look right now looked nothing like the time she had been saved from the mirror and instead of the sundress of yesterday, Lapis had her short dress with flared skirt around her tights with long black knee socks with white and blue rhombuses printed on them. It was the clothes she had when she changed, when her gem had been tainted.

“You liked it.”

“How would you know that?”

“You kept looking at my legs when we were fighting back then,” Lapis said before launching herself forwards, Sunset didn’t move, in fact, she just opened her arms as the dark gem barreled against her in a massive hug. For minutes, the two stood where they were, standing in the middle of Sunset’s apartment, holding each other “I’m sorry, I cannot fight, her whisper is still in my head.”

“I know; that’s why I don’t hate you… I couldn’t hate you.”

“You know I’m dangerous.”

“Yes,” as she kept moving her hand across Lapis’ dark blue hair, Sunset finally let herself relax a bit. Even now, with Lapis somewhat sane unlike the last fight they had fought, when the gem had become almost berserker after being tainted by that dark gem “but I still cannot give up on you.”

“You have too much heart love, is wasted in me.”

“After all the time I invested in you? No way am I gonna give up on you,” it was a weak joke, but it made Laps relax a bit more, the voice getting quieter inside her head.

“Thank you for talking with me every night.”

“Wait, you could hear me inside your bubble?”

“Time was… not important and I felt almost as if I was floating, but your voice was always there, keeping me focused."

“But why now? What took you out of the bubble? Not that I am not happy to see you.”

“Don’t lie Sunset, you didn’t want to see me like this, still wanting to take your head and murder every single human in the planet,” the way in which she said that would have made others start shivering due to how calm she just declared her desire to wipe out humanity “but I felt it, a calling of some kind; there are more gems out there, so many others and they are getting restless.”

“First the eye ship, then the tower, now you, there goes my quiet days.”

Author's Note:

The name of the chapter is a reference to an Enigma song of the same title, hope this is as confusing, teasing and romantic as I hope it can be. yes, I am a weird writer.